Poll

Is the media liberal? Yes or no?

Yes
16 (43.2%)
No
21 (56.8%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Is the media liberal?  (Read 29890 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Is the media liberal?
« Reply #105 on: June 12, 2011, 11:41:09 AM »
I hate Sarah Palin because every time I mention my conservatism I get loudmouth replies like "You want that stupid tea partybag woman as president??/????/ lololololol" before I get to explain that the GOP is not how conservatives should actually be and that I'm pretty dang moderate. :P
For the record, I never said I wanted Sarah Palin to be president. I said the media had a different standard for her then they did towards Obama.
That's how I feel.

Well I think a fair share of that had to do with what exactly the "charges" against each were. Palin was being ridiculed for things she said and did, Obama was being attacked for things that were proven to be untrue and his associations. Someones actions usually demand more coverage than random insults and phantom assaults on people. And even then, the news was loaded with stories about Obama being from Kenya, his association with whatever his name was, and so forth.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #106 on: June 12, 2011, 11:45:55 AM »
I hate Sarah Palin because every time I mention my conservatism I get loudmouth replies like "You want that stupid tea partybag woman as president??/????/ lololololol" before I get to explain that the GOP is not how conservatives should actually be and that I'm pretty dang moderate. :P
For the record, I never said I wanted Sarah Palin to be president. I said the media had a different standard for her then they did towards Obama.
That's how I feel.

Well I think a fair share of that had to do with what exactly the "charges" against each were. Palin was being ridiculed for things she said and did, Obama was being attacked for things that were proven to be untrue and his associations. Someones actions usually demand more coverage than random insults and phantom assaults on people. And even then, the news was loaded with stories about Obama being from Kenya, his association with whatever his name was, and so forth.
and you know personally that all accusations against Obama are false why? If my argument that the media is bias is accurate then most of the sources are bogus anyway.
I am not going to beat this dead horse anymore, I promise, because I fully understand that no matter what I would say would be disregarded anyway.
I'm done.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #107 on: June 12, 2011, 11:47:57 AM »
Is tick the new EV?

Far from it. He's as passionate about his views but can actually word a logical argument. And he types correctly.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2011, 11:49:19 AM »
Is tick the new EV?
Why, because my view is a minority one? Should I just agree with everyone here, or not post at all?
Do I disrespect you or anyone else?

No, that's not what I meant at all. I was stating this because you have an opinion that can't be swayed but it appears that everyone thinks they can. That you are the minority and feel the need to try to prove your side to no end. Not really sure why you took it as an insult.

Online Adami

« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2011, 11:50:08 AM »
That's how I feel.

and you know personally that all accusations against Obama are false why? If my argument that the media is bias is accurate then most of the sources are bogus anyway.
I am not going to beat this dead horse anymore, I promise, because I fully understand that no matter what I would say would be disregarded anyway.
I'm done.

I'm sorry if I came across as harsh Tick, I didn't mean. The "false" accusations I was referring to were that he was born in Kenya, and that he was Muslim and those kinds of things. I didn't mean to imply that every accusation against him is false.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2011, 01:37:41 PM »
I thought that was obvious...

Offline TL

« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2011, 02:00:28 PM »
The fact that the American media still generally considers Sarah Palin a viable presidential candidate is proof enough that there's no 'liberal bias', not to mention more than a bit terrifying.

I mean, I know those pesky reporters are always asking her 'gotcha questions' like 'what newspapers do you read?' and 'what have you seen on your tourstop today?', but seriously, I'm always at a loss for how any sane person can defend her. Any right winger out there should be distancing themselves from her as much as possible.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #112 on: June 12, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
The fact that the American media still generally considers Sarah Palin a viable presidential candidate is proof enough that there's no 'liberal bias', not to mention more than a bit terrifying.
The media considers her a viable candidate because republicans are still creaming themselves over her.  I don't think anybody outside of the GOP considers her anything other than an imbecile, but as long as she's still a contender for the GOP nomination, they're going to continue to report her as such. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2011, 03:06:37 PM »
That's how I feel.

I'm done.
tick, you can't compare the things that Obama was attacked for and the things that Palin was attacked for.  Come on.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #114 on: June 12, 2011, 04:34:18 PM »
I'd say the balance would be better if the media was almost entirely liberal, seeing that we live in a massively conservative country.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #115 on: June 12, 2011, 04:42:23 PM »
I think the media should just stick to the fact ma'am!!

Most News outlets are not reporting the news anymore, they spin the news, both ways.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #116 on: June 12, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
I think the media should just stick to the fact ma'am!!

Most News outlets are not reporting the news anymore, they spin the news, both ways.

I don't think that actual reporting news is really being swayed, at least not to a particularly bias degree.  I mean, with political commentators, sure.  They're put on air to do that, but actual news programs from most of the major television stations are pretty fair most of the time.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #117 on: June 12, 2011, 04:56:58 PM »
Seth, if you grew up in my era you'd see it for yourself. It has changed over the years.  Look at the main news shows at 6:30 on the main 3 networks.  that being said, I think that people watch way less of that like newspapers because of new mediums like the internet.....and Jon Stewart. ;)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TL

« Reply #118 on: June 12, 2011, 05:03:33 PM »
Any time I see American news, it makes me very appreciative of the CBC.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: June 12, 2011, 07:31:11 PM »
That's how I feel.

I'm done.
tick, you can't compare the things that Obama was attacked for and the things that Palin was attacked for.  Come on.
Fuck yeah I can! Paaaalease! C'mon.
Were on different sides of the fence. You really think arguing this stuff will make a difference?
Allow me to answer my own question.
Nope.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2011, 08:32:31 PM »
The stuff raised against Palin was literally the shit that spews out of her mouth.

The stuff raised against Obama was attacking his associates, raising conspiracy theories, and basically everything but what came out of his mouth.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2011, 09:06:19 PM »
Exactly.  Palin was being singled out for being able to see Russia from her house and messing up softball questions (though to be fair if they sent her to people like Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity there might have been a more positive vibe about her from the get-go).  Obama was being singled out for being a secret Kenyan Muslim assassin who hates America and very little to do with his actual policymaking (mostly Obamacare in that latter case). 

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2011, 12:09:36 PM »
Three weeks ago, the journalism navel-gazing community was abuzz over an academic study of more than 700 news articles and 20 network news segments from 2009 that addressed a single controversial claim of the health care reform debate.
Was it President Obama's oft-repeated whopper that he was nobly pushing the reform rock up the hill despite the concentrated efforts of health care"special interests?" Was it his oft-repeated promise that "If you like your health care plan, you will be able to keep your health care plan," something that is getting even less true by the minute? Was it the way Obama and the Democrats brazenly gamed and misrepresented the Congressional Budget Office's price-tag scoring of the bill? No. The cause for Obamacare-coverage reconsideration was not the truth-stretching claims made by a president seeking to radically reshape an important aspect of American life, but rather the Facebook commentary of ... Sarah Palin. "In more than 60 percent of the cases," the authors found, "it's obvious that newspapers abstained from calling [Palin's] death panels claim false." Horrors.

How liberal of hte media, to let a lie from Palin go unchallenged!

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2011, 02:34:05 PM »
Since all the stuff against Obama is just crap can someone tell me why none of his question associations like Ayers and the racist pastor, Rev, Wright are without any valor?

What would the media do to Sarah Palin if Wright had been her pastor for 20 years?
Can I get some honestly in response?

Online Adami

« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2011, 02:38:26 PM »
Since all the stuff against Obama is just crap can someone tell me why none of his question associations like Ayers and the racist pastor, Rev, Wright are without any valor?

What would the media do to Sarah Palin if Wright had been her pastor for 20 years?

Sarah Palin would have been viciously attacked by the media if Wright had been her pastor for 20 years. Just as Obama was.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2011, 02:40:36 PM »
Any time I see American news, it makes me very appreciative of the CBC.

I can imagine that it must be nice to get news that are not the equivalent of a reality t.v. show.

Yes yes, we should all be very concerned over what politicians are doing with their genitals, please don't report anything that has an actual impact on our lives thank you very much.

Oh, unless you want to report a news story to scare everyone, yes, like another bird or swine flu that is supposed to kill half of all americans and never does.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2011, 02:40:59 PM »

Well, I think a lot of people (myself included) would pay more attention to the actual actions and quotes of someone and not focus as much on a few associations of that person.  So no, I don't think the response for Sarah having a pastor like Wright would be much different from the response about Obama either.  I mean, it's just a pastor after all.  Why the in the fuck could that possibly be that big of a deal, especially compared to a blunder from the individual him/herself? 

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #127 on: June 13, 2011, 02:44:22 PM »

Sarah Palin would have been viciously attacked by the media if Wright had been her pastor for 20 years. Just as Obama was.
Except Obama was not, except by Fox. You want to tell me the mainstream was vicious on him for that? Really, Adami?
I'd love for someone to find and post just one single video of the media ripping him viciously about anything, including Wright?
Please, by all means, post just one?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: June 13, 2011, 02:45:23 PM »

Well, I think a lot of people (myself included) would pay more attention to the actual actions and quotes of someone and not focus as much on a few associations of that person.  So no, I don't think the response for Sarah having a pastor like Wright would be much different from the response about Obama either.  I mean, it's just a pastor after all.  Why the in the fuck could that possibly be that big of a deal, especially compared to a blunder from the individual him/herself? 
A persons faith is part of there character so it is a big deal. At least as far as I'm concerned it is.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #129 on: June 13, 2011, 03:29:08 PM »
Shocking, the liberal posters say no, the conservative posters say yes.

Yeah, I was gonna say that is depends on who you ask.  Fox News is known for providing coverage that gives people information from both sides and everything in between. CNN and MSNBC are known for their biased points of view.  There's also a big difference between providing facts and giving your take on those facts as opposed to providing selective facts and leaving the rest out.

Come on, dude, even conservatives, when they're honest with themselves, know that FOX is a pretty low-quality station. Look at the news item about the SWAT item, which turned out to be wrong on at least one key item. No respectable news station picked it up because they knew it probably was hyped, only the really cheapo internet sites picked it up, and FOX News. Or, remember the Photoshop thing? Such blatant abuse of news power is really only with FOX.

rumborak

Whatever.  If you can't name a "perfect" news station, then you should just move on.  You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.  I don't come here to debate with people like you.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #130 on: June 13, 2011, 04:37:33 PM »

Sarah Palin has some sketchy religious associations. You don't know about them because the mainstream media doesn't cover it. Wasn't quite the same as with Obama, and the comlete denigration of Rev Wright is absurd. For starters, the video that played over and over about "the chicken's coming home to roost," is a very fucking accurate and true remark about 9/11. Ron Paul pretty much says the same thing, but since he's not a black person, it's acceptable.

As for Ayers, McCain had just as a disreputable associations with people, but once again, it got mostly passed over.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: June 13, 2011, 05:40:24 PM »

Sarah Palin has some sketchy religious associations. You don't know about them because the mainstream media doesn't cover it. Wasn't quite the same as with Obama, and the comlete denigration of Rev Wright is absurd. For starters, the video that played over and over about "the chicken's coming home to roost," is a very fucking accurate and true remark about 9/11. Ron Paul pretty much says the same thing, but since he's not a black person, it's acceptable.

As for Ayers, McCain had just as a disreputable associations with people, but once again, it got mostly passed over.
blah blah blah.
Wright is a racist. Tell me about the racist Palin sat under?
I'm waiting.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #132 on: June 13, 2011, 06:06:33 PM »
blah blah blah.

I get that you are mocking him, but he makes a good point. The media glosses over a lot of things, both Republican and Democratic screw ups are often overlooked because the media cares more about who Bill Clinton is sleeping with or which Jonas Brother just got caught with his dick in a bagel.

I've worked with and under some pretty horrible people. Pastors aren't perfect either, and their behavior shouldn't really tarnish the reputation of the people in their church. My friend's pastor is extremely anti-gay people, to a point where it's pretty ridiculous, but I wouldn't ever judge my friend because of his pastor's views. My boss at my old job was a terrible racist, and some of my co workers at my current job are extremely racist, but that doesn't mean that I am at fault or to blame at all for their behavior. I don't see why Obama is an exception.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #133 on: June 13, 2011, 07:23:07 PM »
blah blah blah.

I get that you are mocking him, but he makes a good point. The media glosses over a lot of things, both Republican and Democratic screw ups are often overlooked because the media cares more about who Bill Clinton is sleeping with or which Jonas Brother just got caught with his dick in a bagel.

I've worked with and under some pretty horrible people. Pastors aren't perfect either, and their behavior shouldn't really tarnish the reputation of the people in their church. My friend's pastor is extremely anti-gay people, to a point where it's pretty ridiculous, but I wouldn't ever judge my friend because of his pastor's views. My boss at my old job was a terrible racist, and some of my co workers at my current job are extremely racist, but that doesn't mean that I am at fault or to blame at all for their behavior. I don't see why Obama is an exception.
That's bull, Quad. Obama sat in that pastors church for 20 years. I had the same pastor for many years and he was a quality man. Certainly a godly man.
Surely Obama should have been aware of who Wright is after all that time?
Sometimes its just futile to even bother.
I'm not going to continue to argue a point that clearly you think is meaningless, but it sure isn't.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: June 13, 2011, 07:34:05 PM »
I'm gonna sound like a terrorist for saying this, but I don't think Reverend Wright or the things he said were all that bad.

Offline PraXis

« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2011, 07:36:22 PM »
blah blah blah.

That's bull, Quad. Obama sat in that pastors church for 20 years. I had the same pastor for many years and he was a quality man. Certainly a godly man.
Surely Obama should have been aware of who Wright is after all that time?
Sometimes its just futile to even bother.
I'm not going to continue to argue a point that clearly you think is meaningless, but it sure isn't.

Obama hates whitey. It's so fucking obvious it's not even funny anymore. Wright is a piece of shit and so is ANYONE that attends his "church."

Online Adami

« Reply #136 on: June 13, 2011, 07:39:27 PM »
Obama is a racist who hates all white people? And every person who has gone to Wrights church is a piece of fecal matter?

Just making sure you said that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: June 13, 2011, 07:41:36 PM »
People have a really, really strange way of ignoring/forgetting that Obama is of mixed race, and is  just as white as he is black.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #138 on: June 13, 2011, 08:19:58 PM »
Obama hates whitey. It's so fucking obvious it's not even funny anymore. Wright is a piece of shit and so is ANYONE that attends his "church."

:facepalm:
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #139 on: June 13, 2011, 08:40:06 PM »

blah blah blah.
I'm waiting.

Wow. I'm done talking with you, ever. You don't even want to try and listen to other people, or have an actual discussion.

Never said Palin sat under a racist, way to read.