Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 669790 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #2380 on: April 28, 2011, 12:00:09 PM »
Ain't gonna happen. What might happen is an inclusion of Mike's audition songs.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2381 on: April 28, 2011, 12:00:33 PM »
Just watched Derek's portion again, and I fully stand by what I said earlier.  He came across really well thoughout the entire other than 10 second or so at right about the 5:00 mark where he struggles with the riff test.  Otherwise, there really isn't anything to criticize about what was shown of his playing at all.  And, again, there are plenty of truly amazing moments in the song test and jam test sections.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #2382 on: April 28, 2011, 12:02:53 PM »
Indeed. Roddy was portrayed as taking the audition lightly, not being as preparred as the others, and shown sections
where he appeared to have screwed up.

Which if you read his posts, he seems to have taken the audition relatively lightly to begin with.  His segments in the documentary seem (to me at least) mesh pretty well with his public statements of his motivations.  From piecing together his statements it seems like where he and the group decided he would not be a good fit came in the interview process...it sounded to me like both sides were quite frank about the time commitments involved and how much each was willing to give to each other.  When he said that he wasn't willing to change his lifestyle to be a part of DT, I am sure they took him at his word.

As for not portraying the "quality" of his drumming, both sides have acknowledged that technical problems resulted in us not seeing as much of his performance as we might have otherwise.  Unfortunate, but not a slight to him and after he was given an explanation didn't seem to bother him all that much.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2383 on: April 28, 2011, 12:03:12 PM »
I have a different perception, bosky. First they start out with "I didn't physically prepare for the songs", then they show him struggle with the riff parts, and the end they show him saying "it is what it is, can't change anything about it". To me it struck me as if they were trying to show that he himself thought he fucked it up.

rumborak

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #2384 on: April 28, 2011, 12:04:36 PM »
anyone who isnt sure about aqilies's playing should check out his PsychOctopus Solo it is awsome!!!
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2385 on: April 28, 2011, 12:16:40 PM »
I think Roddy is a great guy and an exceptional drummer.
I believe he is just being honest about it, he probably went to the audition because he was asked. If we were shown some other parts of the audition, the image portrayed by the documentary would be certainly different.
The most interesting thing is that we got to see all these amazing drummers play with DT, and hopefully we will get some crazy outside projects from this drummer story.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2386 on: April 28, 2011, 12:23:20 PM »
I have a different perception, bosky. First they start out with "I didn't physically prepare for the songs", then they show him struggle with the riff parts, and the end they show him saying "it is what it is, can't change anything about it". To me it struck me as if they were trying to show that he himself thought he fucked it up.

rumborak

I see where you're coming from.  In a sense, you can't really divorce his comments from the general impression created by the whole picture.  But, really, I don't care about his comments.  They do present him in a light of not really taking the audition as seriously as some because, while he was glad for the opportunity, did not think it would work out with the band over the long haul.  But I have no problem with that being portrayed in the doc because those are his own words, they aren't taken out of context, and he has made the point even more forcefully on his forum after the fact.

But, again, as far as his playing goes, other than that very short clip of the riff test, I defy anyone to point out any section of the video where his playing was bad in the slightest.  It just wasn't there.  I guess you could point to TSCO, but I think he nailed that as well.  It's just that the poor sound quality of the camera mic exaggerates the wash from his cymbal hits and can make it sound like he's overplaying, but he's really not.  He nailed that part of the song spot-on, at least from the clips.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2387 on: April 28, 2011, 12:24:58 PM »
Best comment so far (from the JP forums):

Was I alone in finding it astonishingly hypocritical for Jordan to criticize someone for coming into Dream Theater and adding their own little spin instead of just playing the parts as recorded? I mean, was that supposed to be a joke?
If you think that's hypocritical, wait til the next episode where he gives Priester crap for playing on a kit made entirely out of iPads.

:rollin

Offline weddingnails

« Reply #2388 on: April 28, 2011, 12:25:43 PM »
anyone who isnt sure about aqilies's playing should check out his PsychOctopus Solo it is awsome!!!

he is insane behind the kit,but just wouldnt fit DT imo
"i don't trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die"

Offline Demolition

« Reply #2389 on: April 28, 2011, 12:26:26 PM »
Roddy does have the right to say how he feels about the whole audition but he shouldn't say anything about how the other drummers feel.  That would just be his perception of it and even if true he it isn't his place to talk about their feelings of the process, only his own.

Offline John94

« Reply #2390 on: April 28, 2011, 12:26:56 PM »
To turn up the level of cheese...

Does anyone think the last video will end with footage of the full version audition of The Spirit Carries On with the new drummer?

Online Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2391 on: April 28, 2011, 12:27:29 PM »

Does anyone think the last video will end with footage of the full version audition of The Spirit Carries On with the new drummer?

Hmm, good call!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2392 on: April 28, 2011, 12:27:46 PM »
Best comment so far (from the JP forums):

Was I alone in finding it astonishingly hypocritical for Jordan to criticize someone for coming into Dream Theater and adding their own little spin instead of just playing the parts as recorded? I mean, was that supposed to be a joke?
If you think that's hypocritical, wait til the next episode where he gives Priester crap for playing on a kit made entirely out of iPads.

:rollin

That's amazing :rollin
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #2393 on: April 28, 2011, 12:31:11 PM »

We're gonna see this song performed way too many times with the new drummer either way.

Nah, actually, I take it back. This song can't be performed too many times.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2394 on: April 28, 2011, 12:32:28 PM »

We're gonna see this song performed way too many times with the new drummer either way.

Nah, actually, I take it back. This song can't be performed too many times.

Yes it can. Anything more than what it has already been performed is too many times. It needs to be retired for a while.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2396 on: April 28, 2011, 12:37:13 PM »
Call me crazy, but it seems weird to be complaining about being shown in not the most positive light for a gig that you admittedly both didn't really want or really prepare for.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2397 on: April 28, 2011, 12:37:21 PM »

Hmm, good call!

It seemed suspicious that they didn't show Mike's performance of TSCO at all, indeed.

rumborak

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #2398 on: April 28, 2011, 12:38:45 PM »
I wonder if Roddy uses snake skin drum heads.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2399 on: April 28, 2011, 12:39:17 PM »
To me it struck me as if they were trying to show that he himself thought he fucked it up.

rumborak

I agree. I mean what question do you think they asked him? They saw that the riff test didn't go perfectly so asked the loaded question, "Would you have changed anything about the audition?" It didn't matter what the answer was. The question put forth the message they wanted.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2400 on: April 28, 2011, 12:41:34 PM »
So, in summary for me, both sides were definitely at fault here. Roddy for going into this thing somewhat half-assed, DT & management for exploiting this fact for the drama it would produce on the screen.

rumborak

Offline chrisgazpacho

« Reply #2401 on: April 28, 2011, 12:50:35 PM »
Call me crazy, but it seems weird to be complaining about being shown in not the most positive light for a gig that you admittedly both didn't really want or really prepare for.

Yeah really, I'm sure if DT knew he was only coming becuase they asked him, they would have said thanks but no thanks. His comments in the video are a big tip off at where his head space was at with the whole thing.  I'm here for the DT audition which is nice.  Huh?  As opposed to Mangini, I want to be in this BAND!  Even Marco was kinda like yeah why not when he was recounting his conversation with Jordan about auditioning. Lang gave off the same vibe, we'll sure you asked I'll come.  But there was no passion about wanting to be in the band.  So far it seems Mangini and Donati are really the only ones that seemed into the band in any capacity and really want it. ( That we've seen so far,  Peter seems to be a fan, and I'm guessing Priester as well given his background and style of music he plays)  I think Marco was more into the idea of playing with DT after the audition.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2402 on: April 28, 2011, 12:55:10 PM »

Yeah really, I'm sure if DT knew he was only coming becuase they asked him, they would have said thanks but no thanks. His comments in the video are a big tip off at where his head space was at with the whole thing.  I'm here for the DT audition which is nice.  Huh?  As opposed to Mangini, I want to be in this BAND!  Even Marco was kinda like yeah why not when he was recounting his conversation with Jordan about auditioning. Lang gave off the same vibe, we'll sure you asked I'll come.  But there was no passion about wanting to be in the band.  So far it seems Mangini and Donati are really the only ones that seemed into the band in any capacity and really want it. ( That we've seen so far,  Peter seems to be a fan, and I'm guessing Priester as well given his background and style of music he plays)  I think Marco was more into the idea of playing with DT after the audition.

There's two sides to the coin. I for one was a bit taken aback by Mangini's overt "I WANT TO BE IN THIS BAND!!". I think the others were approaching it from a more professional level, just like any other person applying for a job.

rumborak

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #2403 on: April 28, 2011, 12:58:36 PM »
I'm sad the drummer thing is getting a little dirty with all the noise from fans and drummers..  :( i just hope at the end DT and the 8 drummers (including MP) ends in good terms and lots of side projects.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2404 on: April 28, 2011, 12:59:57 PM »
Back to the Roddy situation:

A lot of people here are jumping too quick to criticize him; and a lot of posters on his forum are too quick to criticize DT. The reality is probably in the middle, and the bottom line is Derek said the DT guys are great, he had a lot of fun, and would love to play with them some time. He doesn't seem too bitter to me, and the DT guys obviously like him as a person.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2405 on: April 28, 2011, 01:00:45 PM »
I'm sad the drummer thing is getting a little dirty with all the noise from fans and drummers..  :( i just hope at the end DT and the 8 drummers (including MP) ends in good terms and lots of side projects.

Well said.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2406 on: April 28, 2011, 01:08:44 PM »
A couple things tell me that Roddy's audition wasn't great.  First, his general approach was "I didn't do much to prepare physically" and "this morning, I just listened to the songs".   Second, he got no "you passed Phase One!" comments from the DT guys.  Third, no exit interview.  Along with the other things that people brought up, I don't think it's a stretch to at least say that Roddy had the worst audition of the five we've seen so far.

Obviously no one has yet been painted in a negative light, but....the general vibe is that he really didn't do too well.  The DT guys really didn't seem too impressed, and it looked like JP was digging for something nice to say when he brought up Roddy's blast beats.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline zebolasha

« Reply #2407 on: April 28, 2011, 01:10:00 PM »
Friends, can someone explain me why I find two different posts by MM about his being not the DT drummer?  ???

1) The one I read in this thread
"hi, no I'm not DTs drummer:-). But I did work with Jordan on the "musical mind meld", and we have plans for a trio project with John P and Jordan together. And I'm sorry I ended up being unwillingly dragged into these imo silly soap opera DT episodes, haha. I really didn't want that and wasn't asked for approval. Love to all of ya:-)"

2) Another one found here https://www.metalsucks.net/2011/04/22/marco-minnemann-i-am-not-dream-theaters-new-drummer/
"Haha, thanks, but I’m not DTs drummer. I know everybody thinks I am and our chemistry is great, but I’m doing actually another thing with Jordan and there are also plans for another project with Jordan and John P together."

Isn't it suspicios?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2408 on: April 28, 2011, 01:11:09 PM »
A couple things tell me that Roddy's audition wasn't great.  First, his general approach was "I didn't do much to prepare physically" and "this morning, I just listened to the songs".   Second, he got no "you passed Phase One!" comments from the DT guys.  Third, no exit interview.  Along with the other things that people brought up, I don't think it's a stretch to at least say that Roddy had the worst audition of the five we've seen so far.

Obviously no one has yet been painted in a negative light, but....the general vibe is that he really didn't do too well.  The DT guys really didn't seem too impressed, and it looked like JP was digging for something nice to say when he brought up Roddy's blast beats.

Yeah, but don't underestimate the skill of a video producer to paint somebody in a bad light by choosing convenient snippets.

rumborak

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2409 on: April 28, 2011, 01:13:14 PM »
Friends, can someone explain me why I find two different posts by MM about his being not the DT drummer?  ???

"hi, no I'm not DTs drummer:-). But I did work with Jordan on the "musical mind meld", and we have plans for a trio project with John P and Jordan together. And I'm sorry I ended up being unwillingly dragged into these imo silly soap opera DT episodes, haha. I really didn't want that and wasn't asked for approval. Love to all of ya:-)"

2) Another one found here https://www.metalsucks.net/2011/04/22/marco-minnemann-i-am-not-dream-theaters-new-drummer/
"Haha, thanks, but I’m not DTs drummer. I know everybody thinks I am and our chemistry is great, but I’m doing actually another thing with Jordan and there are also plans for another project with Jordan and John P together."

Isn't it suspicios?

What exact part is suspicious?

rumborak

Offline russellmania

« Reply #2410 on: April 28, 2011, 01:13:39 PM »
It doesn't sound to me like there are any hard feeling from Roddy.  He does say at the end that he'd definitely like to play with the guys again in the future.  I think he just didn't want the gig that bad and knows he wouldn't have been the best fit anyway.  

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2411 on: April 28, 2011, 01:16:16 PM »
It doesn't sound to me like there are any hard feeling from Roddy.  He does say at the end that he'd definitely like to play with the guys again in the future.  I think he just didn't want the gig that bad and knows he wouldn't have been the best fit anyway.  

Yeah, it's his wording that hurt the content of the message.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2412 on: April 28, 2011, 01:19:32 PM »
I agree with Russel. He didn't have that attitude and drive to want it, which is what DT are looking for.

He is a pretty good drummer though, and the blast beat part in ANTR would be cool to see. 
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline zebolasha

« Reply #2413 on: April 28, 2011, 01:27:57 PM »

Isn't it suspicios?

What exact part is suspicious?

rumborak

I mean, was it several times that he denied being a DT drummer or what?
Are there any proofs that any of the posts is authentic?

Offline JPX

« Reply #2414 on: April 28, 2011, 01:30:21 PM »
I mean, was it several times that he denied being a DT drummer or what?
Are there any proofs that any of the posts is authentic?

It's irrelevant at this point because I think we're all 99.9% sure that Mike Mangini got the job. There have been no indications otherwise.