Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 665078 times)

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #2520 on: April 28, 2011, 08:12:16 PM »
I can't believe it's so close.

Maybe they're going to Duke Nukem Forever us.
Dear God, no.  :omg:
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #2522 on: April 28, 2011, 08:14:08 PM »
11 AM it's 6PM in Poland, I will be safety in home, sitting on my couch with coffee, after work... Just can't wait :) As JR said on his FB last week, this week is exciting for everyone :)

Offline dongringo

« Reply #2524 on: April 28, 2011, 08:18:23 PM »
have you seen this interview before?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X-jF9zkYZY

It's not about DT
though I don't want this guy to be the new drummer really
He is so weird!

He was clearly just being funny with the accent and Italian passion because he was in Italy and figured he'd screw around with the interviewer. I love that vid. It's hilarious. Definitely not to be taken seriously.

There wasnt anything slightly humerous about the interview.. I think he just picked up the rhythm pattern

I guess you don't have a sense of humor then. That's too bad.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2525 on: April 28, 2011, 08:21:26 PM »
My question is why did they draw this out so long?!? According to the producer's video, it was so they could crete hype with this documentary.

In the directors interview (A few posts back) they held off on it because there was interest to broadcast the documentary on TV.  Announcing the drummer prior would have been counterproductive to its marketability, so they held off.  When it all fell through, they decided to release it on their own through YouTube. 

Offline Aniland

« Reply #2526 on: April 28, 2011, 08:23:14 PM »
"...to welcome you to the family."

CREDITS

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2527 on: April 28, 2011, 08:23:39 PM »
roddy said they wanted reveal it right away but there were legal issues

like we all suspected

Offline volwrath

« Reply #2528 on: April 28, 2011, 08:24:50 PM »

It's not about DT
He is so weird!

He was clearly just being funny with the accent and Italian passion because he was in Italy and figured he'd screw around with the interviewer. I love that vid. It's hilarious. Definitely not to be taken seriously.

There wasnt anything slightly humerous about the interview.. I think he just picked up the rhythm pattern

I guess you don't have a sense of humor then. That's too bad.

Or maybe Im just slow..

But you know..I think I agree with you.  This interview was a facade. Mangini started cracking up a few times. His entire family is latino so he feels at home in Italy
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 08:30:05 PM by volwrath »

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2529 on: April 28, 2011, 08:25:15 PM »

CREDITS

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #2530 on: April 28, 2011, 08:25:59 PM »

CREDITS
^
29 April 11.23... and the crowd goes crazy... :)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2531 on: April 28, 2011, 08:29:15 PM »

It's not about DT
He is so weird!

What's not to like?! he's hilarious.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline tumbok

« Reply #2532 on: April 28, 2011, 08:33:39 PM »
it's suspicious Peter stay quiet approaching the final episode..

maybe it is true that he is............  :hefdaddy

can't hardly wait....  :corn

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #2533 on: April 28, 2011, 08:47:09 PM »
it's suspicious Peter stay quiet approaching the final episode..

maybe it is true that he is............  :hefdaddy

can't hardly wait....  :corn

I hope that's right...  :) but, I'm doubting it. We'll see...  :biggrin:
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #2534 on: April 28, 2011, 09:00:11 PM »
I can't believe it's so close.

Maybe they're going to Duke Nukem Forever us.
Dear God, no.  :omg:

Fifteen years later. They announce it. Maybe. I'll believe Duke Nukem Forever when I'm fucking holding it and not a moment before.

Offline psychdoc

« Reply #2535 on: April 28, 2011, 09:10:36 PM »
Hello everyone.

I've been lurking for a bit like I'm sure many folks have been recently. I wanted to comment on my reaction to the documentary so far with some background to help illuminate where I'm coming from (I suspect I'm not the only who feels this way about everything that's been happening).

I have been a Dream Theater fan since 1992 when I was a freshman in high school and first read the review of "Images And Words" in Guitar World magazine, followed shortly thereafter by hearing "Pull Me Under" on the local rock radio station (ah the good old days when radio actually played decent music and MTV actually showed videos). For the next 5 years up until the release of "Falling Into Eternity", DT was my absolute favorite band. I saw them live 3 times during this time period.  My interest briefly tailed off, then when "Scenes From A Memory" was released, they returned to the throne as my favorite band. With the release of "Train Of Thought" and all of the successive albums that have followed it, I became gradually less and less interested in DT. I felt that they were becoming a bit stagnant creatively, and as many others have pointed out on this forum, they began sounding like less of a "progressive" metal band that enjoyed throwing you multiple curve balls for your listening enjoyment, and more like a metal band that simply played long songs. I had always appreciated the curve balls, and liked to keep my straightforward metal more in the Dio, Sabbath, Maiden, Accept variety, with an occasionaly smattering of the more extreme variety like Opeth (although Mikael Akerfeldt also enjoys throwing a good curveball as well). DT became replaced in my hierarchy of bands by others. I did see them another 3 times live, but began missing some of their dates when they were coming around, and only saw them last year because they were opening for Iron Maiden.    

For some reason, I wasn't shocked when I heard about Mike Portnoy's exit from the band (I think my thoughts on MP leaving are best served on another thread though). Over the next several months, as the rumors began swirling about his replacement, I would occasionally read Blabbermouth posts about this person and that with fleeting interest.

Then I saw Jordan's facebook post about the coming info on the new drummer and the drummer search, and I followed the link to the documentary preview. I'll admit that when I watched it, I did have an initial reaction of distaste at what I thought was "reality TV-esque" editing. However, I was also intrigued about the idea of getting a look at the potential of what another world-class musician in DT could do to enhance the band and possibly begin a new chapter, hopefully reinstating some creative fire and passion which I felt had been missing recently. I admit that when I saw the preview, the only drummers that I really knew there were Thomas Lang from Youtube videos and Derek Roddy from his work with Nile and Hate Eternal. That's when I began lurking on this forum and was reassured by several posts here that this documentary would not be a "reality TV" exercise in which drummers would be eliminated one at a time or some other such nonsense.

I then watched the first episode of the documentary and I'll admit that I have been hooked. Watching the second episode has only gotten me more interested and hopeful, reigniting my passion as a lapsed-DT fan. All of the drummers shown so far are amazing in my book and I would give my left nut to jam with any of them. I find it even more refreshing to find that one of the auditionees, Peter Wildeor, has been posting here and seems like a genuine, amiable guy (for some reason, I didn't realize he was the drummer in Darkane eventhough I was familiar with their work). His posting and some of the resulting comments about James Labrie's last solo album led me to listen to some of it on Youtube and then go out and buy the album after being floored by the quality of the songs and performances (particularly Peter's drumming and James' vocal melodies) on the album (actually, I haven't been that surprised and had my expectations altered by an album in a long time - I'm going to have to find the thread here about "Static Impulse" so I can post my thoughts on it there).

In terms of the back and forth about the various drummers and their performances, the choice of editing, who is posting what where, who is dissatisfied with how they were portrayed, and who truly wants the spot in the band or not, I find much of it as nonsense. A lot is written on the internet that may or may not be true. One of the downsides of our technological advances is that now anonymous individuals can impersonate others and/or lie with impunity or care about the repercussions of their actions. Whatever we are reading, we have to realize that the truth in all of these situations is usually somewhere in the murky middle between the two parties involved. I know all of the clues are pointing to one individual being the choice, but I don't really care. I'm watching tomorrow with renewed excitement about DT, the coming new album, and tour. Who knows, we might all be in for a surprise...

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2536 on: April 28, 2011, 09:12:33 PM »
That lack of compositional creativity is something I've always been worried about with Mangini.  Its the main reason I haven't been pulling for him.  If he gets along great with the guys, then cool, hopefully he can really step it up on the new album.  I know he can play the stuff, but so can Marco, and Marco's a heckuvalot more creative.

my thoughts from the beginning, but i will reserve judgment on the new DT drummer til i hear the album

This, and also who knows if he wrote parts for this next one at all?  How do we know he didn't come to find the drum parts written for the new album?  And I'm sure the guys write drum parts sometimes.

- DT jam's out idea's as a whole band then takes the seeds of these ideas and develops them.
- John reiterated this whole process in part 2
- This is common practice
- This is also what test 2 and 3 of the audition directly relate to
- Do you seriously think they would have pre-written drum parts? I mean really.

Must we be so condescending?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2537 on: April 28, 2011, 09:13:06 PM »
Did Roddy looked like the weakest link because JP never said "You passed the test" and instead went to his kit and shook his hand, "thanks, bro". No talk, just... bye.

Offline fllnsprrw

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2538 on: April 28, 2011, 09:24:42 PM »

It's irrelevant at this point because I think we're all 99.9% sure that Mike Mangini got the job. There have been no indications otherwise.

I am really glad that you are so aware of who got the job but I would really appreciate if you gave me some tips so that I could be so sure too  :-\

If you've been following this situation for the past few weeks then you would know why.

I haven't. Can someone provide me with the cliff notes?
1. Images & Words/ 2. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence/ 3. Scenes From a Memory

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #2539 on: April 28, 2011, 09:32:05 PM »
seriously though...

what if it turns out not to be mangini?

even though it is.

edit or minnemann for that matter.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2540 on: April 28, 2011, 09:32:21 PM »

It's irrelevant at this point because I think we're all 99.9% sure that Mike Mangini got the job. There have been no indications otherwise.

I am really glad that you are so aware of who got the job but I would really appreciate if you gave me some tips so that I could be so sure too  :-\

If you've been following this situation for the past few weeks then you would know why.

I haven't. Can someone provide me with the cliff notes?

That thread https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=22350.0 contains everything we know in the order we found out, nothing else is of major importance, this thread here is just long cause DTFers take the chance to develop their typing skills when there's a major DT announcement in the works.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline j

« Reply #2541 on: April 28, 2011, 09:42:58 PM »
@psychdoc: Welcome to the forum!

I agree with most of your post, and I shared some of those sentiments.  Very unexpectedly, this has gotten me pumped about DT again for the first time in awhile. :tup

-J

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #2542 on: April 28, 2011, 10:01:07 PM »
Nice post Psychdoc, and welcome! :)

Offline webpoet73

• DT.net Veteran
  • I am like a ghost...
« Reply #2543 on: April 28, 2011, 10:07:14 PM »
I like Priester better now that I found out he plays Mapex and Paiste... that's what I have! ;)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2544 on: April 28, 2011, 10:12:49 PM »
^That's what I was thinking about, except for Mangini. He uses Pearl and Zildjian and I use Pearl and Zildjian
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2545 on: April 28, 2011, 10:21:42 PM »
Hello everyone.

I've been lurking for a bit like I'm sure many folks have been recently. I wanted to comment on my reaction to the documentary so far with some background to help illuminate where I'm coming from (I suspect I'm not the only who feels this way about everything that's been happening).

I have been a Dream Theater fan since 1992 when I was a freshman in high school and first read the review of "Images And Words" in Guitar World magazine, followed shortly thereafter by hearing "Pull Me Under" on the local rock radio station (ah the good old days when radio actually played decent music and MTV actually showed videos). For the next 5 years up until the release of "Falling Into Eternity", DT was my absolute favorite band. I saw them live 3 times during this time period.  My interest briefly tailed off, then when "Scenes From A Memory" was released, they returned to the throne as my favorite band. With the release of "Train Of Thought" and all of the successive albums that have followed it, I became gradually less and less interested in DT. I felt that they were becoming a bit stagnant creatively, and as many others have pointed out on this forum, they began sounding like less of a "progressive" metal band that enjoyed throwing you multiple curve balls for your listening enjoyment, and more like a metal band that simply played long songs. I had always appreciated the curve balls, and liked to keep my straightforward metal more in the Dio, Sabbath, Maiden, Accept variety, with an occasionaly smattering of the more extreme variety like Opeth (although Mikael Akerfeldt also enjoys throwing a good curveball as well). DT became replaced in my hierarchy of bands by others. I did see them another 3 times live, but began missing some of their dates when they were coming around, and only saw them last year because they were opening for Iron Maiden.    

For some reason, I wasn't shocked when I heard about Mike Portnoy's exit from the band (I think my thoughts on MP leaving are best served on another thread though). Over the next several months, as the rumors began swirling about his replacement, I would occasionally read Blabbermouth posts about this person and that with fleeting interest.

Then I saw Jordan's facebook post about the coming info on the new drummer and the drummer search, and I followed the link to the documentary preview. I'll admit that when I watched it, I did have an initial reaction of distaste at what I thought was "reality TV-esque" editing. However, I was also intrigued about the idea of getting a look at the potential of what another world-class musician in DT could do to enhance the band and possibly begin a new chapter, hopefully reinstating some creative fire and passion which I felt had been missing recently. I admit that when I saw the preview, the only drummers that I really knew there were Thomas Lang from Youtube videos and Derek Roddy from his work with Nile and Hate Eternal. That's when I began lurking on this forum and was reassured by several posts here that this documentary would not be a "reality TV" exercise in which drummers would be eliminated one at a time or some other such nonsense.

I then watched the first episode of the documentary and I'll admit that I have been hooked. Watching the second episode has only gotten me more interested and hopeful, reigniting my passion as a lapsed-DT fan. All of the drummers shown so far are amazing in my book and I would give my left nut to jam with any of them. I find it even more refreshing to find that one of the auditionees, Peter Wildeor, has been posting here and seems like a genuine, amiable guy (for some reason, I didn't realize he was the drummer in Darkane eventhough I was familiar with their work). His posting and some of the resulting comments about James Labrie's last solo album led me to listen to some of it on Youtube and then go out and buy the album after being floored by the quality of the songs and performances (particularly Peter's drumming and James' vocal melodies) on the album (actually, I haven't been that surprised and had my expectations altered by an album in a long time - I'm going to have to find the thread here about "Static Impulse" so I can post my thoughts on it there).

In terms of the back and forth about the various drummers and their performances, the choice of editing, who is posting what where, who is dissatisfied with how they were portrayed, and who truly wants the spot in the band or not, I find much of it as nonsense. A lot is written on the internet that may or may not be true. One of the downsides of our technological advances is that now anonymous individuals can impersonate others and/or lie with impunity or care about the repercussions of their actions. Whatever we are reading, we have to realize that the truth in all of these situations is usually somewhere in the murky middle between the two parties involved. I know all of the clues are pointing to one individual being the choice, but I don't really care. I'm watching tomorrow with renewed excitement about DT, the coming new album, and tour. Who knows, we might all be in for a surprise...

This post is probably gonna get lost in this giant thread, but welcome!  Good to hear thoughts from a fellow longtime fan (you've been a fan probably a year longer than me ;)). :)

Offline dongringo

« Reply #2546 on: April 28, 2011, 10:29:31 PM »
Did Roddy looked like the weakest link because JP never said "You passed the test" and instead went to his kit and shook his hand, "thanks, bro". No talk, just... bye.

I just think he looked like the weakest link because of his comments on not really preparing physically, not thinking about how the audition would go too much, having trouble with JR's test song on the fly, and now his revelation that he never wanted to change his lifestyle and that his snake business, touring, and other ventures makes him a lot more money than DT could offer him. There might be more that I'm missing. I could be wrong, but it just seems that he auditioned, not because he was asked like he says, but so he could say he did (just my assumption there.) I think he just wasted their time. I know that I don't know all the details and all, but it just seems clear to me why he's the weakest link. Either take the audition seriously like the others or don't audition at all.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #2547 on: April 28, 2011, 10:49:46 PM »
https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74093&page=1

Derek Roddy posted a bit in this thread. More positive comments, but they were before his clip was released.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2548 on: April 28, 2011, 10:56:11 PM »
So basically he is just pissed about the doc itself.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2549 on: April 28, 2011, 10:56:28 PM »
Welcome to DTF psychdoc, didn't notice your post earlier! Great to hear from another long time DT fan :)

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #2550 on: April 28, 2011, 11:02:16 PM »
I just watched the second episode again, and I have to say, I really enjoyed Lang's phase three.  It was really cool.  CALL ME CRAZY!
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
« Reply #2551 on: April 28, 2011, 11:06:28 PM »
Also, is it just me or is JR's goatee looking more and more Scott Ian-esque.  CALL ME CRAZY AGAIN!
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #2552 on: April 28, 2011, 11:13:01 PM »
Just 10 hours to episode three! Can't wait!!!

I've been very busy and with the speed this thread is moving it's hard to keep track. Anyway I simply loved episode two. To watch these amazing drummers is soo inspiring. Virgil sounded amazing on the jam test, he really nailed those odd meters and made them sound flawless. Then again JR just said "you eat this for lunch"  :lol So very true!!!

Be back soon.

Cheers
Peter

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2553 on: April 28, 2011, 11:13:53 PM »
Basically, it's going to be epic.

:lhk:
too bad not everybody listens to Neal Morse  :lol

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
« Reply #2554 on: April 28, 2011, 11:15:32 PM »
Just 10 hours to episode three! Can't wait!!!

I've been very busy and with the speed this thread is moving it's hard to keep track. Anyway I simply loved episode two. To watch these amazing drummers is soo inspiring. Virgil sounded amazing on the jam test, he really nailed those odd meters and made them sound flawless. Then again JR just said "you eat this for lunch"  :lol So very true!!!

Be back soon.

Cheers
Peter

Excited to hear your audition for sure!