Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 664844 times)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #2415 on: April 28, 2011, 01:32:58 PM »
So this thread is moving way fast. But can someone give me a description on how this is going over on the MP forums? I know when the whole thing was going down there was some serious issues over there. Are they even allowed to discuss the videos?

Offline kennedymichael

« Reply #2416 on: April 28, 2011, 01:33:52 PM »
Has anyone else seen MM in the MMM?  I've read the entire post and didn't see anyone refer to it.  My impression from his performance in MMM it seems like he was portrayed accuratley in his audition.  Given this I would assume that the rest of the auditions were accurate also.

It's been said many times already but Mangini is the frontrunner and Marco is our new guy for LTE type side projects.  Friday will be interesting, but I want to hear the new album!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2417 on: April 28, 2011, 01:34:19 PM »
So this thread is moving way fast. But can someone give me a description on how this is going over on the MP forums? I know when the whole thing was going down there was some serious issues over there. Are they even allowed to discuss the videos?

I would like to know this as well.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline JPX

« Reply #2418 on: April 28, 2011, 01:35:44 PM »

They just have a sanctioned thread which is closely monitored.

Offline jfwund

« Reply #2419 on: April 28, 2011, 01:37:15 PM »
I think that we're all missing the most salient point here...

Derek Roddy makes his living from SNAKES!! That pay him better than DT!!!

How does that even work? Are they trained? Or do people pay him to look at his snakes? :lol
—No, continued Aunt Kate, she wouldn't be said or led by anyone, slaving there in that choir night and day, night and day. Six o'clock on Christmas morning! And all for what?
—Well, isn't it for the honour of God, Aunt Kate? asked Mary Jane, twisting round on the piano-stool and smiling.
Aunt Kate turned fiercely on her niece and said:
—I know all about the honour of God, Mary Jane

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2420 on: April 28, 2011, 01:38:03 PM »

There's two sides to the coin. I for one was a bit taken aback by Mangini's overt "I WANT TO BE IN THIS BAND!!". I think the others were approaching it from a more professional level, just like any other person applying for a job.

rumborak

I'm wondering if his comments stem for never really having a home in a band.  Yes he toured with Vai for a 4 year stint but no recording in a studio so maybe he wants that one band where he records and tours.  I for one would want to be on an album that is a timestamp of your career.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2421 on: April 28, 2011, 01:40:34 PM »

There's two sides to the coin. I for one was a bit taken aback by Mangini's overt "I WANT TO BE IN THIS BAND!!". I think the others were approaching it from a more professional level, just like any other person applying for a job.

rumborak

I'm wondering if his comments stem for never really having a home in a band.  Yes he toured with Vai for a 4 year stint but no recording in a studio so maybe he wants that one band where he records and tours.  I for one would want to be on an album that is a timestamp of your career.

Yeah, I could see that. His Extreme stint was also very short-lived, so despite him being this phenomenal drummer, he never got the chance to put it into action as much as he would have liked.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #2422 on: April 28, 2011, 01:40:39 PM »
I don't intend to bash MP or something, but I just realized this; if one of my 3 favorites (either of the MMs or Peter) will be chosen, I really don't want Mike and DT to have a reunion. Maybe except a one time show or something like WDADR.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2423 on: April 28, 2011, 01:40:48 PM »

How does that even work? Are they trained? Or do people pay him to look at his snakes? :lol
Hahahaha!!

I thought that! Forgot it the second I read the rest of the thread - but yes, that's brilliant. Derek Roddy and his profitable snakes.

I wish I was as entrepreneurial as him. I can't even fathom how a snake-based business would work. Maybe he stocks them to film crews? I like the idea that people pay him to look at his snakes, though. Mainly because it's a wonderful sentence.

Snakes. Brilliant.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2424 on: April 28, 2011, 01:41:03 PM »
Anyone think there will be footage of the new drummer AFTER the audition process?  I know it doesn't take 6 months to produce a 1 hour documentary, so I think it's likely we'll see some footage of the studio sessions which would reinforce to the fans their choice of drummer.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2425 on: April 28, 2011, 01:43:29 PM »

Hahahaha!!

I thought that! Forgot it the second I read the rest of the thread - but yes, that's brilliant. Derek Roddy and his profitable snakes.

I wish I was as entrepreneurial as him. I can't even fathom how a snake-based business would work. Maybe he stocks them to film crews? I like the idea that people pay him to look at his snakes, though. Mainly because it's a wonderful sentence.

Snakes. Brilliant.

I think he breeds them then sells them as pets. I watched a video once where a snake breeder was showing off his snakes, and there were some he was selling for as much as a car.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2426 on: April 28, 2011, 01:44:29 PM »

They just have a sanctioned thread which is closely monitored.

Cool thanks.

And the snake market is crazy!! People will spend thousands of dollars on a snake just because of its color.

Offline weddingnails

« Reply #2427 on: April 28, 2011, 01:44:58 PM »
Anyone think there will be footage of the new drummer AFTER the audition process?  I know it doesn't take 6 months to produce a 1 hour documentary, so I think it's likely we'll see some footage of the studio sessions which would reinforce to the fans their choice of drummer.

i hope so..and yeah i think its likely that there is some video from the studio..would love a "making of" doc for a special edition of the new album
"i don't trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die"

Offline zebolasha

« Reply #2428 on: April 28, 2011, 01:45:57 PM »

It's irrelevant at this point because I think we're all 99.9% sure that Mike Mangini got the job. There have been no indications otherwise.

I am really glad that you are so aware of who got the job but I would really appreciate if you gave me some tips so that I could be so sure too  :-\
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 01:53:03 PM by zebolasha »

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #2429 on: April 28, 2011, 01:51:59 PM »

Hahahaha!!

Snakes. Brilliant.

Maybe he came up with Snakes on a Plane?

Or sells the venom to out-there "health" types?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2430 on: April 28, 2011, 02:00:42 PM »

As mentioned, there is an official thread at MP.com that is monitored pretty closely.  I haven't been following it, so I can't tell you much more than that.  

Hahahaha!!

Snakes. Brilliant.

I think he breeds them then sells them as pets. I watched a video once where a snake breeder was showing off his snakes, and there were some he was selling for as much as a car.

That was what I figured as well.  Depending on what kind he has, they can sell for a good amount of money.  But as far as the actual money, it's hard to tell whether he literally would have made less money with DT or not.  He may have been exaggerating a bit, which I suspect he was.  I doubt they actually got down to discussing dollars.  It wouldn't surprise me if he was just guessing as to what they would have paid him and that his comment was really meant to be more along the lines of, "they wouldn't be able to pay me enough to make it worth it for me want to change what I'm currently doing."  By way of example, I like my job and the environement here enough that if I were offered a job somewhere else, it would take a BIG pay increase for me to even really think seriously about it.  If it were a small or moderate pay increase, the fact that it is literally more money wouldn't be enough to make it worth it for me to consider.  I could be wrong, but that's my take on it.  But you never know.  As I've said all along, while I'm sure the members of DT make enough to be comfortable, DT simply isn't a big enough band to make any of them "rich."  And even if the new drummer were brought in to make an equal salary and equal share of all other profits (which is a big "if"), he would not likely be entitled to royalties from past albums, so he would be making less than other members in that regard.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JPX

« Reply #2431 on: April 28, 2011, 02:02:39 PM »

It's irrelevant at this point because I think we're all 99.9% sure that Mike Mangini got the job. There have been no indications otherwise.

I am really glad that you are so aware of who got the job but I would really appreciate if you gave me some tips so that I could be so sure too  :-\

If you've been following this situation for the past few weeks then you would know why.

Offline Shadow2222

"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #2433 on: April 28, 2011, 02:07:40 PM »
Remember in episode 1 when Petrucci said that the drummer had to be "undeniable" to the fans?

I think that's what the biggest strike against Priester will have been at the end of all this more than anything else.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2434 on: April 28, 2011, 02:09:36 PM »

I was thinking this morning how sad it was that drummers of this caliber have to be looking for full-time work . . . speaks volumes about the music scene today. In the 70s these guys would all be employed with big-name bands.

Hate to quote myself, but this thread is moving way too fast . . . I was hoping for some feedback; am I way off base in thinking that these drummers should all have full-time gigs?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #2435 on: April 28, 2011, 02:10:41 PM »
My impression is that the free-agency type deal that most of these drummers have has been more of a career choice than a result of a lack of other options.

Offline Dream_Theater01

« Reply #2436 on: April 28, 2011, 02:11:53 PM »
I really liked Thomas Lang's drumming as well.  I think he seems like a good fit for the band, in my opinion.

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
« Reply #2437 on: April 28, 2011, 02:12:50 PM »
https://www.metalinsider.net/interviews/exclusive-director-mike-leonard-talks-about-filming-dream-theaters-the-spirit-carries-on-documentary

Found this on the Internet. It's an interview with the director of the drummer doc. Some interesting stuff there.

EDIT, ninja'd

Offline tedy

« Reply #2438 on: April 28, 2011, 02:19:53 PM »
I think that Mangini will kick some serious amount of ass on the new CD  :corn

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2439 on: April 28, 2011, 02:20:06 PM »

I was thinking this morning how sad it was that drummers of this caliber have to be looking for full-time work . . . speaks volumes about the music scene today. In the 70s these guys would all be employed with big-name bands.

Hate to quote myself, but this thread is moving way too fast . . . I was hoping for some feedback; am I way off base in thinking that these drummers should all have full-time gigs?

I don't really think it says much about the scene.  IMO, the music scene is thriving right now.  There's something for everybody's tastes, a lot of it, and easy access to it.  From a lot of things that have been said about these drummers, a lot of them don't or haven't wanted the restrictions on their lifestyles that a full-time band gig would entail.  Some may just not have found the right fit.  
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2440 on: April 28, 2011, 02:20:39 PM »
Just read that and I hope they release it as a dvd, with full songs by each of the 7.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline weddingnails

« Reply #2441 on: April 28, 2011, 02:21:07 PM »
https://www.metalinsider.net/interviews/exclusive-director-mike-leonard-talks-about-filming-dream-theaters-the-spirit-carries-on-documentary

Found this on the Internet. It's an interview with the director of the drummer doc. Some interesting stuff there.

EDIT, ninja'd

very cool...i knew they didnt wanna do the reality tv bs
"i don't trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die"

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #2442 on: April 28, 2011, 02:23:40 PM »

EDIT, ninja'd

My favorite part of that interview:
Out of the seven drummers that auditioned, was there one that particularly stood out to you?

We filmed with Mike Mangini the night before his audition and both as a person and as a drummer, he impressed me the most.  Mike is such an incredibly genuine and nice guy, just like all the members of Dream Theater.  He’s also incredibly meticulous about making sure he does his part and gets all the details right.  All of the drummers that we filmed with were incredibly nice and professional, but Mike really made a great impression on me.  Then watching him play in real life blew me away – he’s a monster. He plays the most complicated things like they’re nothing,  just incredible. I’ll never forget it.
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2443 on: April 28, 2011, 02:25:03 PM »
  • Fans have been waiting for a while now to find out who Dream Theater’s new drummer. Were you afraid of there being any backlash from fans upset with how the trailer and episodes extend the suspense?
  • Yes, this has been a huge issue that the label and the band wrestled with.  The band really wanted to let people know right away, but soon after the filming was complete there was a lot of interest by television networks to air this documentary.  So due to a potential broadcast deal it was delayed and so was the announcement.  Regardless of that, after seeing the first few cuts of the movie, I think the band realized that this would be the best way to announce everything to the fans.  They were so genuine about how much they wanted to introduce their fans to the new drummer and I know they felt terrible that they kept it from them for so long.

Aw. Wuv you Dream Theater.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2444 on: April 28, 2011, 02:26:06 PM »
Man you guys post a lot. I was caught up as of yesterday morning ad now I'm 25 pages behind! I'm not going to bother to read everything. :)

Mangini to me is the clear front runner. Minneman was great, but I don't feel he's the right drummer for DT.

Offline D_Halco

« Reply #2445 on: April 28, 2011, 02:26:20 PM »
I never believed DT wanted the doc to come across as some sort of reality television exploitative thing, I honestly feel the decision going in (by whomever made the call to film the whole thing) was to cast a light onto a situation and dynamic that fans of the band most likely would not have seen otherwise.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #2446 on: April 28, 2011, 02:34:20 PM »
Hmm, what tv networks would have been interested in picking this documentary up? Certainly not any major ones?
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #2447 on: April 28, 2011, 02:34:45 PM »
Let me quote a very, very wise man/wizard:
"You wanna know who da drummer is?! I ain't gonna tell you, no no no...and you can kiss my ass and balls. And you're gonna like it!" :P

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2448 on: April 28, 2011, 02:35:16 PM »
Hmm, what tv networks would have been interested in picking this documentary up? Certainly not any major ones?

My guess is VH1 Classic.  Like the Rush and Foo Fighters Doc.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ryozo Matsumoto

« Reply #2449 on: April 28, 2011, 02:35:27 PM »
You would think a person like me, who is watching a lot of TV shows,  should be use to waiting for the next episode, normally is one week or so (season break months, or even years sometimes)

But this is taken the cake of all shows.