Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 665037 times)

Offline Nosirp Ssalg

Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #2450 on: April 28, 2011, 02:40:04 PM »
I didn't think Roddy came off poorly in the video. He's clearly super talented, just wasn't the best for the job.

Well, to each their own. I definitely came away from the video thinking "holy shit, Derek totally bungled that audition", and I assume I am not the only one who had that impression. And that alone should give Roddy cause for concern.

rumborak

I'm sure DT wouldn't have asked Derek to audition if they didn't think he's got proven record. Frank must have plenty of contacts to do background check for this kind of stuff and, I'm sure Derek's ability is not the reason he didn't get the job.

And, he's got great personality and very easy to get along with, so, on a personal level there shouldn't be any clashes either.

But I think the reason Derek didn't get the job is difference in the "musical chemistry" and his attitude about not expecting any changes in his life if he were to given the drummer's stool in DT.

Rumborak, I agree with you that after seeing part II, I also thought Derek has no chance. I noticed him admitting plainly that he didn't really prepare thoroughly to be able to play the songs(something along the line) and it might have contributed to his playing during the audition. Also, I noticed that after the audition, the band's reaction was a little less enthusiastic compared to MM and MM's.  

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2451 on: April 28, 2011, 02:40:46 PM »
So this thread is moving way fast. But can someone give me a description on how this is going over on the MP forums? I know when the whole thing was going down there was some serious issues over there. Are they even allowed to discuss the videos?

As mentioned, there is an official thread at MP.com that is monitored pretty closely.  I haven't been following it, so I can't tell you much more than that.  

I've been participating in that sanctioned thread more than here and I can't say it's more 'tense' but there is definately a different 'vibe' than here. Every couple pages or so someone makes sure to remind MP that they (we) luv him and thank him for not locking that thread. I can't imagine he'd even read it...that'd be tough. We will see how it goes once the drummer is finally announced, that's when the fun should begin.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2452 on: April 28, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
So this thread is moving way fast. But can someone give me a description on how this is going over on the MP forums? I know when the whole thing was going down there was some serious issues over there. Are they even allowed to discuss the videos?

As mentioned, there is an official thread at MP.com that is monitored pretty closely.  I haven't been following it, so I can't tell you much more than that. 

I've been participating in that sanctioned thread more than here and I can't say it's more 'tense' but there is definately a different 'vibe' than here. Every couple pages or so someone makes sure to remind MP that they (we) luv him and thank him for not locking that thread. I can't imagine he'd even read it...that'd be tough. We will see how it goes once the drummer is finally announced, that's when the fun should begin.
MP.com does have quite a repressed atmosphere in general, mind. I never get the impression that everyone's speaking quite as freely as they'd like to.

Not a criticism. Just an observation. It's a popular board and it's hard for (effectively) one man to run a ship so tightly - much respect for Weymolith. Both cool sites, but I must say that I do tend to "vote with my feet."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2453 on: April 28, 2011, 02:59:52 PM »
...I must say that I do tend to "vote with my feet."

That explains why it often smells of cheese and fish when you are posting.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2454 on: April 28, 2011, 03:00:33 PM »

The fish wasn't me, but I am never going near your feet.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #2455 on: April 28, 2011, 03:02:24 PM »
Argh, I keep watching Mangini's audition. The things he said were so...awesome and classy. Plus the incredible drumming doesn't make it worse either.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2456 on: April 28, 2011, 03:09:03 PM »
I'd just like to wish the admin/mod team of DTF all the best for the potential storm that will come tomorrow.  :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2457 on: April 28, 2011, 03:09:32 PM »
And...why do you think the forum will be open tomorrow?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2458 on: April 28, 2011, 03:10:17 PM »

After tomorrow, the forum will never be open again.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2459 on: April 28, 2011, 03:12:10 PM »

Kevin Moore is the new drummer? :o

Offline EdenHazard

• INVENTORY!
« Reply #2460 on: April 28, 2011, 03:13:32 PM »
Jooookes haaave cooome full-cir-cle!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2461 on: April 28, 2011, 03:13:47 PM »

The fish wasn't me, but I am never going near your feet.

So bosk is the guy that mashes clams for Clamato.  
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #2462 on: April 28, 2011, 03:20:21 PM »

LOOOOL

Best use I've seen of a KM joke since I've joined this forum.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2463 on: April 28, 2011, 03:24:10 PM »

Closed for the Bank Holiday, is it?  ;)

Offline icarus4321

« Reply #2464 on: April 28, 2011, 03:29:06 PM »

Closed for the Bank Holiday, is it?  ;)

Yeah, Arbor Day is a pretty big deal around here...
Please check out our band, Agora Forte, www.reverbnation.com/agoraforte

My last.fm Profile

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2465 on: April 28, 2011, 03:44:54 PM »
Phew... mammoth reading session to catch up.

Having watched the videos over and over I still want Lang in DT but I'm as sure as everyone else that it's Mangini. i just loved Lang's style and sound.
Watching Mangini's audition I thought Steve Moore was auditioning. I will be happy enough with him in DT after seeing the video, he's turned it round for me. Loved him counting out the time and then letting rip. i hope he is able to come up with more original parts than I heard on JLB's EoP.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2466 on: April 28, 2011, 03:46:01 PM »

:lol  Yeah.  But you can always start with the summary thread for finding out the official information.  I've been updating it as fast as we get info., and it's much better organized now.

Offline scoutmasterdave

« Reply #2467 on: April 28, 2011, 04:03:54 PM »
i hope he is able to come up with more original parts than I heard on JLB's EoP.

This is precisely my concern with Mangini, whom I've been following since I saw him on the G3 tour with Steve Vai in 1996.  He can play absolutely anything, but I have not found his original material to be particularly creative.  I think he's definitely the right guy to play existing DT tunes (mixing in tasty additions here and there), but I'm concerned about his compositional creativity when it comes time to write a new album.  Of course, he has nearly always been a hired gun, so contributing to the composition process has probably not been his role.  I'm still pulling for Minnemann because he is SO creative, but I will be very happy with Mangini and am certainly willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2468 on: April 28, 2011, 04:08:53 PM »
That lack of compositional creativity is something I've always been worried about with Mangini.  Its the main reason I haven't been pulling for him.  If he gets along great with the guys, then cool, hopefully he can really step it up on the new album.  I know he can play the stuff, but so can Marco, and Marco's a heckuvalot more creative.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2469 on: April 28, 2011, 04:12:50 PM »
That lack of compositional creativity is something I've always been worried about with Mangini.  Its the main reason I haven't been pulling for him.  If he gets along great with the guys, then cool, hopefully he can really step it up on the new album.  I know he can play the stuff, but so can Marco, and Marco's a heckuvalot more creative.

my thoughts from the beginning, but i will reserve judgment on the new DT drummer til i hear the album

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2470 on: April 28, 2011, 04:13:45 PM »

my thoughts from the beginning, but i will reserve judgment on the new DT drummer til i hear the album

This, and also who knows if he wrote parts for this next one at all?  How do we know he didn't come to find the drum parts written for the new album?  And I'm sure the guys write drum parts sometimes.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2471 on: April 28, 2011, 04:13:51 PM »
I'm going to be nervous checking the forum tomorrow.  I want to get a quick link to part 3, but I don't want to spoil myself by looking at any other posts or thread titles. =/
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2472 on: April 28, 2011, 04:14:44 PM »

Matt, if you heard the difference between the original drummer for Extreme and the 3 songs Mangini played on Waiting For The Punchline. you'd see he's very creative.  I'm not saying Paul Geary wasn't a good drummer, but the creativity of Mangini was great for the songs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2473 on: April 28, 2011, 04:15:12 PM »
I'm going to be nervous checking the forum tomorrow.  I want to get a quick link to part 3, but I don't want to spoil myself by looking at any other posts or thread titles. =/

doubt you are gonna find a link and not get spoiled. better off going straight to the RR youtube page

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2474 on: April 28, 2011, 04:15:59 PM »

Just go to youtube and find it there first.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2475 on: April 28, 2011, 04:27:37 PM »

:lol  Yeah.  But you can always start with the summary thread for finding out the official information.  I've been updating it as fast as we get info., and it's much better organized now.
Bosk, that thread has been helpful. I've been at work and have not been able to participate in the thread here, but I've been trying to read as much as possible.

Matt, if you heard the difference between the original drummer for Extreme and the 3 songs Mangini played on Waiting For The Punchline. you'd see he's very creative.  I'm not saying Paul Geary wasn't a good drummer, but the creativity of Mangini was great for the songs.

King, I'm not familiar with that album at all. Which were the 3 tracks MM played on?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2476 on: April 28, 2011, 04:35:07 PM »
He played drums on "Hip Today", "Leave Me Alone" and "No Respect".

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2477 on: April 28, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »

Bosk, that thread has been helpful. I've been at work and have not been able to participate in the thread here, but I've been trying to read as much as possible.

Cool.  Not to pat myslef on the back, but I'm pretty proud of it, actually.  I wish there were more "one-stop" threads that were that well organized for important stuff like this.  Glad you find it helpful.

Offline Demolition

« Reply #2478 on: April 28, 2011, 05:06:19 PM »
I was watching the video's again and wondered who the guy is that sits in on the interviews with the drummer's.  He has longer gray hair and a beard.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2479 on: April 28, 2011, 05:08:12 PM »
Frank Solomon, DT's manager.

Offline Funkafonik

« Reply #2480 on: April 28, 2011, 05:15:32 PM »
Matt, if you heard the difference between the original drummer for Extreme and the 3 songs Mangini played on Waiting For The Punchline. you'd see he's very creative.  I'm not saying Paul Geary wasn't a good drummer, but the creativity of Mangini was great for the songs.

+1
That album is in fact the only recorded work where you can hear Mangini's creativity. Other work where he kinda had creative influence would be in Gary Cherone's Tribe of Judah, where he played on some songs on the album, and on tour. I have a few bootlegs and he was simply amazing! I've always wondered why Steve Vai didn't wanna create with him in the studio, ah well, his loss! I'm so psyched to finally hear what Mangini can do in a band like DT!

Offline dongringo

« Reply #2481 on: April 28, 2011, 05:32:27 PM »
Here's another one of his posts that was quite revealing;

"The whole thing with all us guys audition footage is....you're seeing 5 minutes (of what some editor thinks.... is creating "drama" for reality TV)
If you notice.....all of the drummers with the exception of Mike was presented as if they had a "flaw" in their playing.....and that certainly wasn't the case.
What you didn't see are the 2 hours and 55 minutes of kick ass jams, tunes played exact, etc......each drummer had.

Another thing that needs to be considered in my case is.....
I auditioned for DT because I was asked.......not because I wanted to be the new DT drummer.
Too much commitment for me to stop what I have going on in my life.

I have a snake collection (over 100 animals) that has generated more income than DT would be able to pay me. For me to stop that.......would take a lot.

This drum thing is fun and all but, it doesn't make up even half of my yearly income.
For me to consider that gig....meant I had to move out of a really big passion (and security) to do something......I've done already (touring) and am doing still through education and my own projects.

One of the questioned asked by RR was "how would getting this gig change your life"

My answer was....."I'm not looking to change my life."
That was a big shock to everyone listening! Haha.

Cheers,
D"

So he just wasted DT's time. He auditioned basically just so he could say he did it?  Real cool! I lost all respect for this guy.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline zebolasha

« Reply #2482 on: April 28, 2011, 05:34:07 PM »
have you seen this interview before?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X-jF9zkYZY

It's not about DT
though I don't want this guy to be the new drummer really
He is so weird!

Offline Aniland

« Reply #2483 on: April 28, 2011, 05:35:58 PM »
To turn up the level of cheese...

Does anyone think the last video will end with footage of the full version audition of The Spirit Carries On with the new drummer?

This would explain why Mangini wasn't shown playing that song in his footage thus far. OH MY GOD YOU CRACKED THE CASE. Jenkins, take a lesson from this chap.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2484 on: April 28, 2011, 05:36:12 PM »
have you seen this interview before?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X-jF9zkYZY

It's not about DT
though I don't want this guy to be the new drummer really
He is so weird!
I think he's pretending to be Italian. And not a native English speaker. I'm not sure why.

Or more likely, he's got an Italian interviewer and so he's lapsing into Italian speech patterns and rhythms.