Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 669892 times)

Offline Tunnel Vision

Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #2170 on: April 27, 2011, 08:17:34 PM »
I don't feel that adding a little bit of your own personality is like saying yours is superior....it is just a different interpretation.

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2171 on: April 27, 2011, 08:31:48 PM »
We have to remember that we only have seen like 30 secs or something of Lang playing DT songs.
I think what we have seen is really good, but perhaps JR relies his meanings on parts we haven't seen. Maybe he did some really freakish stuff in the middle of ANtR or TSCO that was way out of place (though I kinda doubt it), and if we all had heard it, we would agree wholeheartedly with Jordan. I'm just speculating, but basing the discussion only on the footage we have seen, is somewhat thin (the expression used in Norwegian at least :P )...

But on the other hand, mr. LaBrie seemed to like his interpretations very much.

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #2172 on: April 27, 2011, 08:32:30 PM »
Thomas Lang - impressive.  didn't hesitate to add his own touch to the audition, unfortunately that rubbed Jordan the wrong way (which bothered me).

I found this strange too, especially with all the criticism Jordan gets from "changing" the keyboard parts in the older DT songs. Just going off the videos, Lang didn't seem to change that much, and I really liked his audition. But of course there was like 2 minutes of the audition, so it's hard to say for sure.

Again, it's one thing to change parts when you're a member of the band; it's another thing entirely to change parts when you're auditioning.  It's like interviewing for a job.  You don't go in to the interview and start telling the company what they're doing wrong.  You wait until you get the job before trying to make changes
That isn't comparable at all....

Actually, it's almost exactly the same thing for multiple reasons (just think of a white collar job vs. this; the analogy is pretty good).

Actually, it isn't.  He was not in any way telling them his interpretation was "superior" to theirs, or that he didn't like the way the song was written.  He was being creative with it and adding his own touches.

Did he go a little too far for their liking?  Possibly, but that's another matter entirely.  It's *nothing* like "going into an interview and telling the company what they're doing wrong".  Terrible analogy.

-J

Even so, if I'm interviewing to be a computer programmer for system X... and they ask me to bring examples of code I've written in Language Y... and I bring in a mixture of Language Y and language Z code, explaining "I thought code Z was better // more efficient here".  Whether thats true or not, the interviewers might have had a reason to ask for Language Y (because, maybe, old programs run on language Y only and you cannot use Z).

On the other hand, if you also presented a copy of the code where it worked with 100% language Y, then there's really no harm done... unless the interviewers are annoyed/offended by the initial submission for some reason (e.g. arrogance, rudeness, whatever).  Since donati was able to play things correctly when asked (as stated in the video), there was probably some offense taken that DT didn't admit to in the videos... or at least thats what my above chain of logic leads me to tentatively conclude.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2173 on: April 27, 2011, 08:35:18 PM »
I just got to watch the video.  Oh wow, what impressive stuff.  I can't wait for Episode 3!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2174 on: April 27, 2011, 08:37:32 PM »
Thomas Lang - impressive.  didn't hesitate to add his own touch to the audition, unfortunately that rubbed Jordan the wrong way (which bothered me).

I found this strange too, especially with all the criticism Jordan gets from "changing" the keyboard parts in the older DT songs. Just going off the videos, Lang didn't seem to change that much, and I really liked his audition. But of course there was like 2 minutes of the audition, so it's hard to say for sure.

Again, it's one thing to change parts when you're a member of the band; it's another thing entirely to change parts when you're auditioning.  It's like interviewing for a job.  You don't go in to the interview and start telling the company what they're doing wrong.  You wait until you get the job before trying to make changes
That isn't comparable at all....

Actually, it's almost exactly the same thing for multiple reasons (just think of a white collar job vs. this; the analogy is pretty good).

Actually, it isn't.  He was not in any way telling them his interpretation was "superior" to theirs, or that he didn't like the way the song was written.  He was being creative with it and adding his own touches.

Did he go a little too far for their liking?  Possibly, but that's another matter entirely.  It's *nothing* like "going into an interview and telling the company what they're doing wrong".  Terrible analogy.

-J
This is what I was going to say, but didn't feel like actually typing out myself.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #2175 on: April 27, 2011, 08:41:09 PM »
"The drummer is everything in the band when it comes to just the pocket and the power. And here we are today starting a new chapter"

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #2176 on: April 27, 2011, 08:49:57 PM »
I just got to watch the video.  Oh wow, what impressive stuff.  I can't wait for Episode 3!

Thank you Hef!  Everyone's been hyper-analyzing these episodes, and your comment is quite refreshing.

:hefdaddy

Offline Mat JB

« Reply #2177 on: April 27, 2011, 08:59:31 PM »
The new riff they were playing with Lang around the 8 minute mark is fantastic, it truly sounds like part of a "classic" Dream Theater song. I'm very excited for the new album!

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #2178 on: April 27, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
I'm just interested, does anyone know the order of drummers technically (skill-wise). I know they are all incredible and can play the parts comfortably, but I'm just interested.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2179 on: April 27, 2011, 09:20:33 PM »
Just watched a couple of Priester's videos. Man the guy has serious skills! I can't wait to hear his input during the audition.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2180 on: April 27, 2011, 09:22:17 PM »

Thank you Hef!  Everyone's been hyper-analyzing these episodes, and your comment is quite refreshing.

lol welcome to the internet
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2181 on: April 27, 2011, 10:26:19 PM »

You're welcome, although I did nothing special.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2182 on: April 27, 2011, 10:27:27 PM »
I really like that "audition riff" JR came up with.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2183 on: April 27, 2011, 10:29:07 PM »

I liked the way they played it with Lang. But the other times it really just felt like the typical riff that JP/JR have been soloing over for a few albums now. Compare it to the main solo riff in ANTR, very similar feel.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #2184 on: April 27, 2011, 10:37:38 PM »
to me at least, it's gonna be funny reading all these "theories" and "speculations" come friday when we know who the drummer is.

edit quotes and grammar
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #2185 on: April 27, 2011, 10:41:40 PM »

You're welcome, although I did nothing special.
Well, your post was the first "Very nice stuff, can't wait to see more!" in like 11 pages, so yeah. I found it enjoyable compared to everyone else's theories/guesses/deductive work.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2186 on: April 27, 2011, 10:50:21 PM »

I liked the way they played it with Lang. But the other times it really just felt like the typical riff that JP/JR have been soloing over for a few albums now. Compare it to the main solo riff in ANTR, very similar feel.

Yeah Lang is pretty cool, will certainly increase the female population among DT fans :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2187 on: April 27, 2011, 10:51:06 PM »
Excuse the laziness.... have to get up in 5 hours for work...again!!!, so didn't have time to read 12 pages comprehensively  Anywho...  it's deff. the MM bro's.  Like someone stated, and I'll second.  Mangini is more spirited, while Marco might be technically more sound.  That being said.... I'm more impressed with Mangini as an overall "Better fit" for the band.  I was actually rather dissapointed with Lang, yes, I know we only saw the edited clips, but thought he would be in the mix.  Donati... I dunno, he struck me as NOT a good fit chemistry wise, it just didn't seem like it came naturally to him in that regard, so forced.

The one shocker, and honestly dissapointment, was realizing they ( JP and JR) want a drummer who will play note for note parts emulating MP.  I was hoping for a fresh perspective, to enhance MP's parts in songs yet put their own spins on them.  After watching it a couple times, that's what I took from their demeanor and actions.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #2188 on: April 27, 2011, 11:02:23 PM »
Ever since that pizza comment, I want pizza.

Offline Merlin Coryell

« Reply #2189 on: April 27, 2011, 11:03:01 PM »
Mangini did not impress me. Way too dramatic before audition, way too animated during, and too cocky afterward. Virgil played just as well, Marco played better.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2190 on: April 27, 2011, 11:08:44 PM »
Lang clearly made some mistakes in his interpretation that made the band feel rather uncomfortable playing with him and actually lose the beat at some point (Petrucci says that and Thomas admits it twice in the video). What's wrong with Jordan pointing that out? DT wasn't supposed to adapt to Lang's playing but the other way around. His interpretation was flawed because the things he added were not good.

And of course, the drummer changing things is something completely different from the keyboard player adding some stuff. Saying "JR changes things so he cannot criticize the drummers for doing that" is nonsense.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2191 on: April 27, 2011, 11:13:20 PM »
I absolutely broke out into laughter when Virgil broke out into a big rock ending at the end of ANTR and didn't let JR finish his bit. I felt bad for Virgil  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #2192 on: April 27, 2011, 11:21:25 PM »
Lang clearly made some mistakes in his interpretation that made the band feel rather uncomfortable playing with him and actually lose the beat at some point (Petrucci says that and Thomas admits it twice in the video). What's wrong with Jordan pointing that out? DT wasn't supposed to adapt to Lang's playing but the other way around. His interpretation was flawed because the things he added were not good.

And of course, the drummer changing things is something completely different from the keyboard player adding some stuff. Saying "JR changes things so he cannot criticize the drummers for doing that" is nonsense.

Now that I've had 14 hours or so to think about this, I think it's definitely true.

After all, as Myung said, the drummer is really everything in the band. I've written songs myself before, and a lot of the time, changing the drum parts, or even fills, in rather small ways makes the song sound really awkward as a whole. The stuff that JR tends to change--keyboard solos, mainly--usually doesn't improve the song, but it doesn't significantly alter a band's ability to play together with a comfort level. The band's ability to keep the beat and the chord changes never really rests on a JR solo--he's playing over top of it all. But just about every part is set up by the drummer, so even small changes in the drums can really make the whole song start to collapse if the rest of the band isn't on board.

I think what JR's comments reflect is that Mangini played the parts with his own style, but in a way that still made the entire song completely familiar for the band. Lang and Donati probably tried to do things that just changed the "feel" of the songs so much that the rest of the band kind of got thrown. I could easily see how DT could interpret that as "not what we're looking for," while Mangini's audition got a much more positive response.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2193 on: April 27, 2011, 11:40:31 PM »
Where is the part from the 8th minute on? Doesn't sound familiar but it sounds awesome. If it's new - I hope this makes it to the new album. Also, James' voice sounded awesome.

The more I watch it, the more I regret that it's not going to be Donati. But if it's not him (and I am pretty sure it's not gonna be Lang) I hope it's Marco. Wish they showed the "Without warning, out of nowhere" part as this has the coolest drum moments in the song, imo.

Oh yeah and :lol @Virgil's self facepalm :D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 12:01:51 AM by abydos »

Offline dongringo

« Reply #2194 on: April 27, 2011, 11:50:50 PM »
Mangini did not impress me. Way too dramatic before audition, way too animated during, and too cocky afterward.

That's just Mangini being Mangini. In every clip I've seen of him he has the same personality. I call it positive, fun, passionate, and while playing...intense. And he's not "cocky." He was just confident, as he should have been because he pulled off a great audition and wants it so bad you can see the emotion in his eyes when he said he didn't want to even call it a gig. With the exception of Marco, who called it a lifestyle, the other guys seemed to really acted like it was just a gig. Anyway, Mangini is always dramatic like that and that's what I like about him. He's not dull or boring. Just my 2 cents.  ;)
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2195 on: April 27, 2011, 11:57:35 PM »
Agreed with dongringo. Actually, taking into account that all those 7 guys are phenomenal drummers, the factor that made almost all the difference could have been the attitude. And Mangini beats the hell out of the other guys in that area. He made it very clear that he wanted to be DT's drummer with a passion.

« Reply #2196 on: April 28, 2011, 12:25:58 AM »
Agreed with dongringo. Actually, taking into account that all those 7 guys are phenomenal drummers, the factor that made almost all the difference could have been the attitude. And Mangini beats the hell out of the other guys in that area. He made it very clear that he wanted to be DT's drummer with a passion.

Part of that may just be editing though. Presumably, they had sitdowns with everybody, but Mangini's the guy who you actually hear discuss Portnoy and stuff. Given that there were 15-30 minute discussions, I'd imagine, with all of them, it's really easy to edit it to make it look like Mangini was the guy who really was going all in.

But maybe that is really the case. Of course, the other drummers all had a lot of other bands they were in anyway, whereas Mangini was just a teacher at Berklee. In a sense, it makes sense that he'd have a different approach, because he'd be jumping back into the music business, basically, whereas the other guys would just be giving up/putting less time into multiple projects they already had.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #2197 on: April 28, 2011, 01:15:50 AM »
I watched it :)
and I tell you - Priester or Wildoer... ;)
I'm so excited when I think about Priester drumming in DT...  :metal

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2198 on: April 28, 2011, 01:36:55 AM »
This whole documentary thing is just ridiculous, I'm sorry  :lol

sometimes

björk

is just

ridiculous

I mean, the documentary in itself is alright, but using it as a means to announce the drummer just seems silly to me. They're a band, just say who it is and move on. I know a bit of it may be roadrunner's doing, but come on.
Come on what? There's nothing silly about it, it shows all the drummers in a good light and gives people less to bitch about once the drummer is announced, which makes it a brilliant promotional tool. The number of people who disliked Mangini from only seeing YouTube view who have now changed their mind showcases this fact.

Now stop being so Indie. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2199 on: April 28, 2011, 01:56:53 AM »
Yeah, people flipped on Mangini so quickly thanks to this. Even if this is just a glorified work or pro-Mangini propoganda, it's serving its purpose quite well.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2200 on: April 28, 2011, 02:10:36 AM »
The only thing I've not liked about this videos so far is the God damn narration. It's so cheesy :lol

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #2201 on: April 28, 2011, 02:40:28 AM »
The only thing I've not liked about this videos so far is the God damn narration. It's so cheesy :lol

Thank God it's only used for the previews for the next episode, respectively.

Edit: Or are you also referring to the cardboards telling the preceding events etc?
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #2202 on: April 28, 2011, 02:44:16 AM »
Here's my two pence;

- First the drummer cannot reinterpret the songs, yes he can add a few things here and there but they have to essentially have the same feel. Changing the drums will alter the song and have a knock on effect to the bass, guitars, keyboards and vocals. The drums are the foundation !

- Lang and Donati came across as nice guys but they had zero chemistry with the band and clearly were not right

- Derek Roddy couldn't do the odd time signature riffs on the spot. That really was a tougth test but that's the way they work and he could not fit into that

- Can see how the rumours of Marco being the one got out. You can imagine the absolute buzz about him around the DT camp at that time. Clearly has the biggest wow factor,
and to out wow Mangini/Donati/Lang is no small feet. But i'm not surprised all you need to do is check his drum solo's out on Youtube.

- However....Marco seems as if he'd be in more side projects them MP. He looks like he just loves to play and I doubt that he could give the commitment that DT would want.

- Mangini is the safe option, he ticks all the boxes and has the passion. Everything points to DT going with him. I also thought it was clever of them to put him first. Right from the off they knew that he would be the yardstick, the person to measure everyone against.

My own personal choice would be Marco but I can totally understand why they will go for Mangini....he just looks the part !

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2203 on: April 28, 2011, 02:45:44 AM »

I don't think it's the same. They had several riffs, and the one showed with Lang isn't showed with any of the other drummers.

But i completely agree with your first sentence! ;) It was awesome!

« Reply #2204 on: April 28, 2011, 02:48:17 AM »

I don't think it's the same. They had several riffs, and the one showed with Lang isn't showed with any of the other drummers.

IIRC they said they had three riffs for that test. Or maybe Wildoer said that. There was the one that Jordan prepared, the one that sounded like the solo riff in ANTR (:metal), and another one, I guess. They've got to have played the same three with all of them, I'd imagine, or else the test wouldn't be fair. Just like we saw clips of different songs with the three, they probably just showed different riffs with different drummers. But they've got to have used the same ones for all of them at the auditions.

Wildoer, any chance you can back this up for us? Although, you're forgiven if you don't remember the exact riffs you played at an audition six months ago  ;)!