Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 669868 times)

Offline Remco

Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #2100 on: April 27, 2011, 04:28:15 PM »
I'm sorry for anyone that isn't with me. But I REALLY hope it's gonna be Mike Mangini. I was rather dissapointed at first when I looked him up. But his drumming on the audition is really stunning. Plus I just can't help it, he's really adorable.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #2101 on: April 27, 2011, 04:29:49 PM »
Yeah even it seems weird to say "We didn't like that they did their own interpretation rather than what's on the album", even if that's what they really thought, considering how everone will say that it's better if they do. They might just have said that to be a bit nicer than saying "We didn't like / were put off by their interpretation".

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #2102 on: April 27, 2011, 04:35:41 PM »
This whole documentary thing is just ridiculous, I'm sorry  :lol

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2103 on: April 27, 2011, 04:36:52 PM »
 :lol
Where did Marco come from?
Why is he here?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2104 on: April 27, 2011, 04:38:04 PM »

:facepalm:
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline JPX

« Reply #2105 on: April 27, 2011, 04:38:42 PM »
Why is he here?

A bearded gentleman
Historian?

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2106 on: April 27, 2011, 04:39:04 PM »
Why is he here?
I absolutely broke out into laughter. Especially when he sang 'Where do we go when we die'

It sounded so bi-polar  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2107 on: April 27, 2011, 04:39:41 PM »
If DT want to be progressive again...  

:lol  Uh...hate to break it to you, but I don't think they ever stopped.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #2108 on: April 27, 2011, 04:44:27 PM »
Sorry if it's been mentioned but I'm not reading this entire thread.

JLB is wearing the same t-shirt in the clips where he says "welcome to the family" as he does at Mangini's audition. He doesn't wear the same one in the others.

Offline jsem

« Reply #2109 on: April 27, 2011, 04:45:03 PM »

sometimes

björk

is just

ridiculous

Offline volwrath

« Reply #2110 on: April 27, 2011, 04:45:30 PM »
I think MM is the guy who got the gig, but I can't help but wonder what Wildoer was doing posting here so much lately, because the jury shouldnt have been out at that stage.  That makes me think he might possibly be the one.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2111 on: April 27, 2011, 04:51:25 PM »

I dunno about that, I'd say they certainly had a much more metal phase in ToT and SC, and then 8vm and BC&SL are somewhere between the two.  And while SC did have prog elements I'd even argue that in ToT and for the opening track of BC&SL I just thought to myself: this is just a metal band with long songs.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Raziel666

• Infinite Moonloops
« Reply #2112 on: April 27, 2011, 04:53:23 PM »

I meant that as "something fresh and exciting", can't say that about their last few albums - at least to my ears! ;)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2113 on: April 27, 2011, 04:53:30 PM »

:lol  Uh...hate to break it to you, but I don't think they ever stopped.

I dunno about that, I'd say they certainly had a much more metal phase in ToT and SC, and then 8vm and BC&SL are somewhere between the two.
Because progressive =/= metal.

Anyway I don't think DT have ever been particularly progressive, so nothing has changed really. But the comment that their approach will for some reason be vastly different between those two drummers is absurd.

JLB is wearing the same t-shirt in the clips where he says "welcome to the family" as he does at Mangini's audition. He doesn't wear the same one in the others.
Definitely coicidence, unless you're suggesting that they made the decision and phoned Mangini on his cellphone immediately after his audition, before Roddy even turned up, but carried on with the rest of the auditions anyway. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2114 on: April 27, 2011, 04:54:31 PM »
i totally missed the aquilles priester 'joke' around here, but the guy is nuts. he is like portnoy but at a higher level. very very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym_-tZwhRL0

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #2115 on: April 27, 2011, 04:55:49 PM »
I was so distracted being excited about the video this morning, that I left and forgot my water bottle and wallet.

That said, I was blown away by Minnemanns audition. I got the tinglies the whole time he was playing, smiling ear to ear. It just felt so right. More so than Mangini. His playing is just so fun. I"m really hoping he gets it.

I had also been looking forward to Lang and Donati, but they didn't really impress me too much. Watching some of their videos on youtube, I know they're talented. But they just didn't seem nearly as great in the audition. I was a little surprised  by that.

Right now though, I'm pretty much just excited for Friday. I'm so glad I'm going to be home for that.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
« Reply #2116 on: April 27, 2011, 04:56:17 PM »

I dunno about that, I'd say they certainly had a much more metal phase in ToT and SC, and then 8vm and BC&SL are somewhere between the two.

Anyway I don't think DT have ever been particularly progressive, so nothing has changed really. But the comment that their approach will for some reason be vastly different between those two drummers is absurd.

Definitely coicidence, unless you're suggesting that they made the decision and phoned Mangini on his cellphone immediately after his audition, before Roddy even turned up, but carried on with the rest of the auditions anyway. :P

You're right of course. Unless they did Mangini last, and there was no phone... only Mangini. And he was keeling or something, or they were all standing on stools above Mangini.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2117 on: April 27, 2011, 04:56:54 PM »

Not sure if it was coincidence or if he made a conscious choice to wear that shirt again to provide a sense of continuity, but it is obvious they are not from the same day.  First, as ariich pointed out, the chronology doesn't fit.  Second, his hair and his jeans are different.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2118 on: April 27, 2011, 04:59:31 PM »
i totally missed the aquilles priester 'joke' around here, but the guy is nuts. he is like portnoy but at a higher level. very very good

I'm not sure what "joke" you are referring to.

But cool video.  I'm looking forward to being blown away by his drumming on Friday.

Offline volwrath

« Reply #2119 on: April 27, 2011, 05:00:53 PM »

Thanks for the vid. Priester sounds freakin awesome. Very solid. I bet he nails it.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #2120 on: April 27, 2011, 05:01:09 PM »

sometimes

björk

is just

ridiculous

I mean, the documentary in itself is alright, but using it as a means to announce the drummer just seems silly to me. They're a band, just say who it is and move on. I know a bit of it may be roadrunner's doing, but come on.

Offline i am fabio

« Reply #2121 on: April 27, 2011, 05:03:28 PM »
I don't think people undertstand how good Priester is. I once had VIP stuff for a fest and he was jamming before the concert and playing the most insane stuff ever. Proggy as shit too. Anyways having said that I loved Mangini in the vids and was weary of him before. Hope he gets it at this point!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2122 on: April 27, 2011, 05:04:47 PM »

Well there's certainly a difference between prog, metal, and prog metal. :P

Also considering many of us (myself included) suspect that MP had a lot to do with how the albums have sounded since 1999, I can see how that comment would still be valid.

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2123 on: April 27, 2011, 05:05:45 PM »

But cool video.  I'm looking forward to being blown away by his drumming on Friday.

I'm looking forward to hear how he handles all the multiple odd-time signature changes. Haven't been a lot of those in his videos. I really like some of his stuff, but a lot of his power metal stuff isn't my cup of tea...

Offline Aniland

« Reply #2124 on: April 27, 2011, 05:27:08 PM »
I've changed my opinion many a time in this thread, but finally, this is what I think:

45% sure it is Peter Wildoer
45% sure it is Mike Mangini
10% sure it is Marco Minneman

Offline Aniland

« Reply #2125 on: April 27, 2011, 05:33:40 PM »

So they welcomed him to the family before testing the other six drummers? LOL

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2126 on: April 27, 2011, 05:34:19 PM »
I've changed my opinion many a time in this thread, but finally, this is what I think:

I'd say Minnemann's chances are greater than Wildoer.

Just sayin'.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Aniland

« Reply #2127 on: April 27, 2011, 05:36:05 PM »
Minneman is the one I wish for the most, but things that have been said make me think he's not.

46% Wildoer, 44% Mangini, actually :)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2128 on: April 27, 2011, 05:40:12 PM »
The only thing that has me doubting Mangini is Wildoer joining the forum.  Kind of a bad reason, I know.

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #2129 on: April 27, 2011, 05:41:57 PM »

I'm looking forward to hear how he handles all the multiple odd-time signature changes. Haven't been a lot of those in his videos. I really like some of his stuff, but a lot of his power metal stuff isn't my cup of tea...

In this video which was just quoted above (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym_-tZwhRL0), look around 6:50.  It actually isn't very complex, but it isn't 4/4 at least.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2130 on: April 27, 2011, 05:42:41 PM »
I don't understand why Wildoer joining the forum means he joined the band.  If that were the case, wouldn't he wait until it was revealed?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2131 on: April 27, 2011, 05:43:46 PM »

In this video which was just quoted above (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym_-tZwhRL0), look around 6:50.  It actually isn't very complex, but it isn't 4/4 at least.

Yup, I saw that, but it's quite "gentle" compared to crazy DT stuff.  :)

Offline darkshot

« Reply #2132 on: April 27, 2011, 05:46:51 PM »
I don't understand why Wildoer joining the forum means he joined the band.  If that were the case, wouldn't he wait until it was revealed?

Yeah actually, Wildoer joining the forum leads me to believe he was eliminated, so he is free to post here and tell about his experiences, without the record label lawyers panicking (as much) that he is going to leak things.  If Wildoer is the one I would think the label would want him to keep things quiet for a while until it was revealed.  But if he is indeed the drummer then its very cool to have him posting here for sure :)

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
« Reply #2133 on: April 27, 2011, 05:48:13 PM »

Not sure about Wildoer. He answered one of the comments on his youtube video like this:
"Thanks a lot! Very glad you enjoy the clip and my playing. :-) Ha ha, yeah Dream Theater would have been cool...

Cheers,

Peter"

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #2134 on: April 27, 2011, 05:48:55 PM »
I don't understand why Wildoer joining the forum means he joined the band.  If that were the case, wouldn't he wait until it was revealed?
100% agree. I was thinking the same thing.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home