Author Topic: The Haken thread v. Restoration  (Read 414962 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Haken thread v. The Mountain
« Reply #1785 on: September 04, 2013, 12:13:46 PM »
Yesterday I was obsessed with Atlas Stone. Tonight it's Somebody. GAAAH!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1786 on: September 04, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »
current ranking:

Because It's There
Cockroach King
Pareidolia
Falling Back to Earth
Atlas Stone
Somebody
As Death Embraces
The Path
In Memoriam

also, reviewed this over at Sputnik, lemme know what you think: https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/58750/Haken-The-Mountain/

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1787 on: September 04, 2013, 01:49:12 PM »
Nice review! You really nailed it on the head, in regards to Cockroach King. It does create a unique world, both through its music and eccentric lyrics. It's settled in as my favorite song on The Mountain, though that may change over time.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1788 on: September 04, 2013, 02:08:56 PM »
Some things have really struck me from seeing who the lyricists are, and from reading some of the lyrics.

Firstly, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Ray wrote the lyrics to The Path and Because It's There. He's an intelligent guy but I've never personally seen that mature and philosophical side of him, but I think he did such a great job with those lyrics, they really grab me and lift me up.

Secondly, Hen provided the lyrics to Cockroach King, which didn't surprise me at all as they are definitely the most odd and unusual which fits him perfectly. However, from reading through them and really getting a feel for what the song is about, I think they're actually damn good. Yes they are quirky and a bit weird, but they also cleverly tell a story about temptations and the consequences of giving in to them, and I think they're actually very effective.

Anyway, it's really hard to rank the songs because like Zydar I keep getting obsessed with different songs. I also love the whole album so much that it's difficult to rank anything "lo". If I had to have a go right now though, it would look something like this:

1. In Memoriam
2. Because It's There
3. Falling Back to Earth
4. Pareidolia
5. Cockroach King
6. Atlas Stone
7. The Path
8. Somebody
9. As Death Embraces

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1789 on: September 04, 2013, 02:23:03 PM »
also, reviewed this over at Sputnik, lemme know what you think: https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/58750/Haken-The-Mountain/

Well written review.
I see you gave it 4,5/5. Do you have something to criticise that prevents you from giving it a full 5, or is it out of the principle that everything can be improved?
It comes to my mind because you don't have a single negative word about the album to say but still deduce 0,5 points from the score.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1790 on: September 04, 2013, 02:27:50 PM »
me7, I love your avatar! :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1791 on: September 04, 2013, 02:45:39 PM »

Offline me7

« Reply #1792 on: September 04, 2013, 03:00:18 PM »
Don't love the avatar you dimwits... 'tis a treasure fit for fools. Thou shall fear and loath The Cockroach instead.

BOW IN DESPAIR TO YOUR COCKROACH OVERLORD.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1793 on: September 04, 2013, 03:45:21 PM »

Well written review.
I see you gave it 4,5/5. Do you have something to criticise that prevents you from giving it a full 5, or is it out of the principle that everything can be improved?
It comes to my mind because you don't have a single negative word about the album to say but still deduce 0,5 points from the score.
If you read his comment at the bottom, his own personal rating is 5 stars, but he gave it 4.5 because that's what he thinks the average score of other listeners deserves to be.

Personally I do find that a strange way to rate something, as I would always rate something based on how much I like it myself, but that may be how Adam likes to do things, or it may be the general approach on Sputnik.

EDIT: Oh and yes, brilliant avatar. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1794 on: September 04, 2013, 04:00:36 PM »

Well written review.

So The Mountain is good as Close To The Edge, Selling England, Thick as Brick, Tago Mago, Mirage, ITCOTCK, Aqualung, Moving Pictures and so many other classics?
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1795 on: September 04, 2013, 04:04:42 PM »
Personally I would say it is better than every one of those albums. The only one that is very nearly as good is ITCOTCK.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline me7

« Reply #1796 on: September 04, 2013, 04:11:29 PM »
Never listened to Thick as a Brick, Tago Mago, Mirage & Aqualung, but I consider it as good or better than Close To The Edge, Selling England, ITCOTCK, & Moving Pictures.
Close To The Edge & Moving Pictures aren't even my favourite albums from their respective bands.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1797 on: September 04, 2013, 04:13:18 PM »
Personally I would say it is better than every one of those albums. The only one that is very nearly as good is ITCOTCK.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1798 on: September 04, 2013, 04:14:56 PM »
Because older albums must be better.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1799 on: September 04, 2013, 04:26:58 PM »

What was that for? Because my opinion is different to yours? ???

I be am boner inducing.

Offline me7

« Reply #1800 on: September 04, 2013, 04:27:15 PM »
It could be that we are confusing "good" with "influential" and "inventive".

As far as "good" in concerned, Haken don't need to hide from anyone. Cockroach King sounds a lot like Gentle Giant? True, but you know what? I think it's a better GG song than GG themselves ever made.
Visions sounds a lot like a DT album? I agree, but I consider it the best DT album since SDOIT.

I also think that Haken stepped up on the "inventiveness" with The Mountain.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1801 on: September 04, 2013, 04:34:33 PM »
What the hell Rich? Wrong thread

My Ranking

1. Atlas Stone
2. Pareidolia
3. In Memoriam
4. Because it's there
5. Falling Back to Earth
6. The Path
7. As Death Embraces
8. Somebody
9. Cockroach King
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1802 on: September 04, 2013, 04:35:51 PM »
Crazy talk ya'll.

(I need to buy it this weekend) :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #1803 on: September 04, 2013, 05:02:16 PM »
I definitely need to check this out, but I doubt I'll like it as much as the classic albums mentioned a few posts up.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #1804 on: September 04, 2013, 05:20:37 PM »
I'm one to generally be critical of the crazy ragtime and quirky "carnival" sections in prog music, but in the case of the Cockroach King, I think it works very well and ends up being a great song. I don't know exactly why, but I think it's because the whole song is quirky and doesn't take itself too seriously. It's so different than anything else on the album, it stands on its own without taking anything away. (Kind of reminds me of Mastodon's Creature Lives in how it is stands out as being so bizzarre but cool). It's when one of those quirky sections interrupts the flow of an otherwise more serious our grooving songs that bothers me.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #1805 on: September 04, 2013, 05:21:55 PM »
So I just found out that the album is on Spotify even though it hasn't been released in the US yet! Just started listening...

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1806 on: September 04, 2013, 06:17:44 PM »
Because older albums must be better.
It could be that we are confusing "good" with "influential" and "inventive".

Look, i will try to explain...
About "because older albums must be better", this is bullsh*t... there was many classic releases in every decade so far and obviously these albums i mentioned aren't just better because they're older, jesus christ...
They are influential for prog bands even today (Haken wouldn't even exist).
They are albums that break through the PROG realm... "Holy sh*t, what this guy is talking about?"
It means that, even if they are Symphonic, Prog or Kraut rock, you don't have to like these genres to enjoy them because it's just great music...
Like, for me, IAW is the best DT release because it's the one who even people who hate DT or prog metal in general can greatly enjoy.
Summarizing, when i say one album is better than other, i'm not just talking about the enjoyment (in the case of DT, i think IAW it's the best even though i enjoy SDOIT and SFAM much more).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 06:28:48 PM by Outcrier »

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1807 on: September 04, 2013, 06:28:22 PM »
That's silly. I don't care which one which one is more influential, my favorite is going to be the one I enjoy the most.

And besides, even if Haken wouldn't exist without those older albums, they take it to the next level anyway. It's not like their influences end at those old prog bands anyway. By that logic we might as well say that Stravinsky is the greatest artist of all time and anyone who came after is inferior.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #1808 on: September 04, 2013, 06:37:57 PM »
I don't see how anyone couldn't love Cockroach King.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #1809 on: September 04, 2013, 07:03:59 PM »
Gave the album one listen, and I was pretty impressed. To be honest, even though I loved them when I first started listening to them, I got kind of bored with Haken and almost didn't bother with this release. Well, I'm glad I decided to give it a chance! I doubt I'll ever consider it a masterpiece but I really loved it and will definitely buy it. As a huge Gentle Giant fan, I loved Cockroach King and it was easily my favorite of the album upon first listen. It wasn't as batshit crazy as I expected it to be, it was still quite quirky! Also, the vocals sounded much better on this release than on their other two albums and they fit the music perfectly.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1810 on: September 04, 2013, 08:30:29 PM »
I had pretty much lost interest in Haken after Visions, which was a big disappointment for me, but The Mountain seems miles better, at least after one listen. I didn't really care for "Pareidolia," which was much too "prog metal by numbers" for me, but the rest of the album, especially up until that point, was pretty strong, and they definitely tried some new things.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1811 on: September 04, 2013, 09:43:54 PM »
Pareidolia was prog metal by the numbers? I mean, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but that just never came to my mind.

Or, possibly I just listen to so much generic prog, that anything slightly outside of that seems extremely creative. :P

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1812 on: September 04, 2013, 09:44:53 PM »
I could probably agree with that, it's pretty standard prog fare. Awesome song though.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1813 on: September 04, 2013, 09:51:33 PM »
Thanks for the compliments guys. As for the rating, I think it's certainly a 5/5 album, but rating something a classic on Sputnik after a week or so is usually seen as pretty outrageous since classic albums need to remain classics for the rating to stand. So, if I feel the album is perfect months down the line, I'll probably edit the review.

Also, Pareidolia is sort of typical prog, but it's done fantastically and has a few twists and turns that are lovely.

I think I'm addicted to this album though, guys. I wake up with its melodies playing in my head in the morning.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1814 on: September 04, 2013, 10:27:03 PM »
Saying that Haken has made ANY album-even Aquarius, which I love-that is better than the murderer's row of albums that were mentioned in this thread from other prog bands might be the single biggest bit of hyperbole I've read since the Terrrorizer review that said an album by death metal band Mithras was the greatest album produced in the history of music from the UK.  :lol Seriously, guys, lighten up a bit. Even Haken would find that notion silly.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #1815 on: September 04, 2013, 11:30:39 PM »
...I think I'm addicted to this album though, guys. I wake up with its melodies playing in my head in the morning.

same. but is it cheating if i fall asleep to it playing on headphones?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1816 on: September 05, 2013, 12:29:00 AM »
Pareidolia was prog metal by the numbers? I mean, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but that just never came to my mind.

Or, possibly I just listen to so much generic prog, that anything slightly outside of that seems extremely creative. :P
I'm with you on that. I mean, it's an 11 minute song with no solo, with long brooding sections, and with a bouzouki-led isntrumental. I don't see what's so by-the-numbers about it.

I think I'm addicted to this album though, guys. I wake up with its melodies playing in my head in the morning.
Yep same here, me and my brother were saying last night how we've both been listening to it obsessively. Heard it maybe 15-20 times already, which is just ridiculous. I haven't been this obsessed with a new album in literally years.

Saying that Haken has made ANY album-even Aquarius, which I love-that is better than the murderer's row of albums that were mentioned in this thread from other prog bands might be the single biggest bit of hyperbole I've read since the Terrrorizer review that said an album by death metal band Mithras was the greatest album produced in the history of music from the UK.  :lol Seriously, guys, lighten up a bit. Even Haken would find that notion silly.
Why is it ridiculous? It's an opinion. Personally I find it completely absurd to say about any albums that they are clearly the all-time classics and that nobody should be able to rank something else above them.

Those old classic albums are good. One of them I really love. I would rate ITCOTCK more highly than Aquarius, but that's it. Visions and The Mountain in particular are such great albums for me.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #1817 on: September 05, 2013, 02:42:45 AM »
If I was Haken, I would not accept releasing Atlas Stone and Pareidolia before the album comes out, because honestly I cannot hide that such early releases affected my listening experience of the album as a whole. IMO only one song should have been released which is In Memoriam.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1818 on: September 05, 2013, 02:57:58 AM »
Why that song? I mean, it's my favourite on the album, but personally I think Atlas Stone was the perfect early song to release because it's the most typical-Haken thing on the album. And the good thing about Pareidolia was that it was a little bit different for them, and so managed expectations over the darker and more raw direction.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline me7

« Reply #1819 on: September 05, 2013, 03:05:54 AM »
I agree that Atlas Stone is the perfect single for the album. It's very self-contained, summarizes Haken very well by showing different sides, has a very memorable chorus (one of Haken's typical strong points) and several short solos which are thrilling but never drag on for more than a few seconds.
The song is very proggy but doesn't require any "burning in" to fully appreciate it like many prog epics do. I very much "got" the song on my first go.