Author Topic: The Haken thread v. Restoration  (Read 418401 times)

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
Re: The Haken thread v. The Mountain
« Reply #1680 on: August 31, 2013, 08:55:18 AM »
Loving some of this stuff, although on second-ish listen it doesn't seem quite up there with their first two. And Cockroach King isn't nearly as odd as everyone makes it out to be... feels like classic Haken to me.

Offline Setebos

« Reply #1681 on: August 31, 2013, 09:57:58 AM »
I got my copy yesterday and I quite like it so far. Still Haken, but certainly different from Aquarius and Visions. However I'm not sure if the album is really quite up there with the first two. While the album does not really have a bad track on it, it does not have a really great song either (like Celestial Elixir or Visions). Of course, this is only my first impression and further listens might change that.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1682 on: August 31, 2013, 10:46:29 AM »
Well I feel like though the album doesn't have that one "huge epic standout song" that the running theme throughout the album sort of makes it a huge cohesive work that stands above the other two albums, at least for me. The sheer quality of the smaller, shorter songs altogether makes the album an amazing experience from beginning to end.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1683 on: August 31, 2013, 10:48:56 AM »
I'd say Falling Back to Earth is pretty epic.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1684 on: August 31, 2013, 11:02:40 AM »
I'm liking this album much more than anything else I've heard from them.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1685 on: August 31, 2013, 11:20:55 AM »
...And Cockroach King isn't nearly as odd as everyone makes it out to be... feels like classic Haken to me.

Same here :metal

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #1686 on: August 31, 2013, 01:02:26 PM »
didn't know these guys too well before checking this out. 3 spins in, ALL of the longer/proggy songs are  :metal

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1687 on: August 31, 2013, 03:16:19 PM »
I can't get the album out of my head, and Falling Back to Earth is just absolutely magnificent!! :metal

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1688 on: August 31, 2013, 03:30:09 PM »
So, who is going to the shows next week?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1689 on: August 31, 2013, 03:30:27 PM »
I can't decide if Pareidolia or Somebody is the best track on the album.

Offline me7

« Reply #1690 on: August 31, 2013, 05:50:32 PM »
For me, Somebody is the only track I don't love at the moment. It seems like a fairly simple song dragged out for too long and it doesn't give the majestic sense of closure that Celestial Elixir and Visions did.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1691 on: August 31, 2013, 05:58:12 PM »
Well if you compare Somebody to those songs then you're pretty much guaranteed to be disappointed. I think it's awesome and a different way to close the album. It's more like Sun and Deathless, but even better.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1692 on: August 31, 2013, 06:07:37 PM »
What the heck is Cockroach King ABOUT?
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1693 on: August 31, 2013, 06:51:07 PM »

Are you sure you didn't just answer your own question? :neverusethis:

Offline Lucidity

« Reply #1694 on: August 31, 2013, 06:54:06 PM »
Well if you compare Somebody to those songs then you're pretty much guaranteed to be disappointed. I think it's awesome and a different way to close the album. It's more like Sun and Deathless, but even better.

Somebody is a fantastic song, but for me it completely fails to function as a closer. It would've been much wiser to end the album with Falling Back to Earth in my opinion.

Offline Lucidity

« Reply #1695 on: August 31, 2013, 06:56:06 PM »
I can't decide if PareidoliaFalling Back to Earth or SomebodyAtlas Stone is the best track on the album.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1696 on: August 31, 2013, 06:59:08 PM »
I disagree, but maybe they meant for the two bonuses to be part of the album, rather than "just" bonus tracks. Anyone who has the album think so?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1697 on: August 31, 2013, 07:53:45 PM »

The King of all Cockroaches.

ALL HAIL THE COCKROACH KING!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline me7

« Reply #1698 on: September 01, 2013, 03:49:54 AM »
I disagree, but maybe they meant for the two bonuses to be part of the album, rather than "just" bonus tracks. Anyone who has the album think so?

Not at all. "The Path unbeaten" is an alternative version of "The Path". It's just the same song without vocals, the vocal melodies are played by instruments instead. Sounds like they were unsure whether to open the album instrumentally or with vocals and tried both versions. I prefer the vocal version that ended up as the opener.

"Nobody" is merely a demo of the first section of "Somebody" played only on acoustic guitar with vocals. Not closing material at all.

Offline m0hawk

« Reply #1699 on: September 01, 2013, 04:33:45 AM »
Oh my sweet mother of Jupiter, Falling Back To Earth....  :metal :metal :metal

"The sky is falling in on MEEEEEEEEEEE-EEEEYIIEEEEEEEE"

As it stands:
1. Visions
2. The Point Of No Return
3. Falling Back To Earth

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1700 on: September 01, 2013, 05:36:47 AM »
Oh my sweet mother of Jupiter, Falling Back To Earth....  :metal :metal :metal

"The sky is falling in on MEEEEEEEEEEE-EEEEYIIEEEEEEEE"

This was awesome indeed. Is that the highest note Ross has recorded on a Haken album? I think so!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline me7

« Reply #1701 on: September 01, 2013, 05:58:38 AM »
It's also a good example how much better the vocals are this time around. An Aquarius and Visions, Ross just followed the instruments most of the time. There were a few standout moments like the harmonies in the Celestial Elixir chorus and the insane section in Visions ("Now I see the shadow of a man..."), but The Mountain has multiple sections when the vocals take the lead for a moment.

Offline ElliottTamer

« Reply #1702 on: September 01, 2013, 08:58:27 AM »

Somebody is a fantastic song, but for me it completely fails to function as a closer. It would've been much wiser to end the album with Falling Back to Earth in my opinion.

I disagree with this. I won't say that Somebody is the perfect closer (though I love the song itself), but I feel Falling Back to Earth is exactly where it's supposed to be. I would say it is the bleakest or most despairing song (in a good way) in the album and though the chorus relieves this tension to a large extent, I don't feel it would end the album very well. Surrounded by As Death Embraces and Because It's There, though, it works really well emotionally (for me). I mean, As Death Embraces is probably one of the weakest songs in the album (which doesn't mean I don't find it great), but placing it between Falling Back to Earth and Pareidolia makes it into an amazing breather/pause between two relatively long songs with quite different emotional contents. In a way it's a palette-cleanser.
Out of all the songs in the regular edition of the album I would probably say Somebody is the best closer, though it lacks the epic-ness of tracks like Celestial Elixir or Visions. Still, I prefer to leave The Path Unbeaten as the final track: I think it offers a fitting, somewhat cyclical conclusion to the album. After all, once you climb a mountain you eventually have to go down, and then you often end up in a place remarkably similar to the one where you started.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1703 on: September 01, 2013, 11:00:57 AM »

Not at all. "The Path unbeaten" is an alternative version of "The Path". It's just the same song without vocals, the vocal melodies are played by instruments instead. Sounds like they were unsure whether to open the album instrumentally or with vocals and tried both versions. I prefer the vocal version that ended up as the opener.

"Nobody" is merely a demo of the first section of "Somebody" played only on acoustic guitar with vocals. Not closing material at all.
Oh, that's a bit disappointing. I think I'll just buy the standard edition then.

Offline me7

« Reply #1704 on: September 01, 2013, 11:39:40 AM »
Out of all the songs in the regular edition of the album I would probably say Somebody is the best closer, though it lacks the epic-ness of tracks like Celestial Elixir or Visions. Still, I prefer to leave The Path Unbeaten as the final track: I think it offers a fitting, somewhat cyclical conclusion to the album. After all, once you climb a mountain you eventually have to go down, and then you often end up in a place remarkably similar to the one where you started.

I interpret "Somebody" as a song about someone who never got his shot at the mountain and lives a life of regret, wondering "What if...". I don't like the idea of following it with a song about climbing down from a mountain.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1705 on: September 01, 2013, 12:14:01 PM »
Well, if you want to interpret it that way, think about the song title. 'The Path Unbeaten' may then very well symbolise the path that one has yet to take. It actually even makes sense. considering it's practically the same song as 'The Path', but without vocals.
Squ

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1706 on: September 01, 2013, 12:15:39 PM »
I need this album.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1707 on: September 01, 2013, 12:22:07 PM »
Falling Back To Earth has taken over as my favourite on the album, at the moment.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Lucidity

« Reply #1708 on: September 01, 2013, 12:30:59 PM »
Falling Back To Earth has taken over as my favourite on the album, at the moment.

Same for me.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1709 on: September 01, 2013, 12:32:11 PM »
Still Pareidolia for me, but Falling Back to Earth might take its place. I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing the band Tuesday! :D
Squ

Offline me7

« Reply #1710 on: September 01, 2013, 12:36:38 PM »
Well, if you want to interpret it that way, think about the song title. 'The Path Unbeaten' may then very well symbolise the path that one has yet to take. It actually even makes sense. considering it's practically the same song as 'The Path', but without vocals.

I think the titles "The Path unbeaten" and "Nobody" don't really mean anything, they are just wordplays on the titles of the finished songs. "Unbeaten" probably came to their mind because it is an unfinished version of the song "The Path", before they beat the challenge of finishing the song.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1711 on: September 01, 2013, 12:51:56 PM »
Unbeaten isn't an unfinished version, it's an alternative version with no vocals and orchestral backing, and a slightly different structure. I'm the same as ElliotTamer, I think it's a perfect way to close the album.

And I'm not sure that Nobody is a demo, as far as I know it's just an acoustic version of Somebody, minus the bridge section. It's nice but doesn't really add anything IMO.

And yeah I also completely agree with Elliot that Falling Back to Earth's placement on the album is perfect. In fact, the pacing of the album is completely bang on. I'm glad they didn't have the typical epic closer like the first two albums - as good as those songs were, it would have been getting too samey to do it again.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1712 on: September 01, 2013, 12:56:37 PM »
And yeah I also completely agree with Elliot that Falling Back to Earth's placement on the album is perfect. In fact, the pacing of the album is completely bang on. I'm glad they didn't have the typical epic closer like the first two albums - as good as those songs were, it would have been getting too samey to do it again.

I also agree very much with all this and want to add to that that I'm actually really glad the band didn't make an Aquarius 3.0, as that was my biggest fear for their third album. I really like the fact that they stuck with some shorter songs and a couple of lengthy ones. It's fresh for them, but also for the listener.
Squ

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1713 on: September 01, 2013, 04:23:24 PM »
Well, they'd have to actually make an Aquarius 2.0 first, which I would have absolutely no problem with..

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1714 on: September 01, 2013, 05:29:58 PM »
Well, they'd have to actually make an Aquarius 2.0 first, which I would have absolutely no problem with..

A lot of the criticism Visions got was that it sounded a lot like Aquarius and does, in fact, have a completely similar structure as Aquarius does. Both end with an epic that reprises stuff from earlier tracks, both have a ballad right before the epic, both consist solely of 'long' stracks (especially if you consider the run from The Mind's Eye - Portals - Shapeshifter as one), both are concept albums and on both the tracks generally flow seamlessly into each other. Combine that with the fact or perception that it sounds similar (similarly mixed/mastered etc.) and that idea isn't too far-fetched. The Mountain is pretty much different from both in every way.
Squ