Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 411182 times)

Offline DarkyDan

Re: James LaBrie: Impermanent Resonance (2 songs out)
« Reply #1785 on: July 29, 2013, 08:10:31 PM »
Hi guys, new to the boards (found this forum searching for reviews of IR)

I've listened to it a few times, and quite enjoyed it.

First impression was that it wasn't as "deathy" as Static Impulse (which I thoroughly enjoyed).  The production and synth stylings sounded pretty old school and interesting.  Definitely a lot more of a pop influence on this one.

I thought the lyrics to "Back on the ground" were corny when I first heard it but they are also quite clever when you think about it, I've definitely warmed to the song and lyrics.  I also felt that "magic wand" lyric in one of the other songs was a bit cheesy... but I have to overlook any cheese because of how catchy and memorable those lines are in hindsight!

I think the songs sound more layered than SI, which I thought was a lot more guitar biased and punchy (I'm a guitarist so I was drawn to that) 

I would say that I directly compared it to SI initially and was underwhelmed but I haven't stopped listening to it at all so it must be good! 

Currently I'd rate it below SI but above EOP. 

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1786 on: July 30, 2013, 03:55:32 AM »
Great post Dan!!  :tup
and
:welcome:

By the way, I just ordered the clear vinyl!!  :metal Does anybody know how many they have made these?

The site where I ordered says 200 but I can't believe it's so rare.

Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline JRuless

« Reply #1787 on: July 30, 2013, 05:28:51 AM »
Great post Dan!!  :tup
and
:welcome:

By the way, I just ordered the clear vinyl!!  :metal Does anybody know how many they have made these?

The site where I ordered says 200 but I can't believe it's so rare.

If i'm right I will receive my clear vinyl today! I will check if it is numbered...

Offline JRuless

« Reply #1788 on: July 30, 2013, 09:54:59 AM »
it isn't numbered, so I can't verify if the clear vinyl edition is as rare as told....

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1789 on: July 30, 2013, 10:42:31 AM »
Just got this one in the mail today. Will listen tonight.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1790 on: July 30, 2013, 10:44:26 AM »
Stupid America...... :(

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1791 on: July 30, 2013, 10:54:35 AM »
It's not out yet in NA?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1792 on: July 30, 2013, 10:55:41 AM »
Nope. Released August 6th, I believe.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1793 on: July 30, 2013, 10:55:55 AM »
I'm in North America and I'm trying not to listen online.  I've heard the two tracks released by the label, and I've allowed myself to hear "Holding On."  That tune kills!  I can't stop listening.  The rest of the album I'm waiting until it arrives.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1794 on: July 30, 2013, 10:59:47 AM »
I live in Finland and I won't get the album until August 9 :getoffmylawn:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1795 on: July 30, 2013, 11:02:58 AM »
August 2nd here in Australia (at least, that's when the one physical store that stocks good music says they'll have it in).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1796 on: July 30, 2013, 11:10:24 AM »
So after 2-3 listens, I like the album, though it feels really short. Also, while the music and melodies and vocals are all great, there's just a couple lyrical passages which totally take me out of the element.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #1797 on: July 30, 2013, 11:53:00 AM »
Just noticed the similar ending for Agony and I Will Not Break. I wonder if it was intentional ha!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1798 on: July 30, 2013, 11:58:03 AM »
That's what the '..yeeeahhh..' in Agony is for, to differentiate!  :P

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #1799 on: July 30, 2013, 12:10:47 PM »
I've been trying to find the album on iTunes, but apparently it's not available through them? WTF? I was interested in keeping my collection going, but from what I've heard of the two songs released early, and the fact that it's unavailable through my main source of music, I guess I'm fucked. So...  :tdwn
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1800 on: July 30, 2013, 12:11:47 PM »
iTunes.... how I detest it.

Offline drew512

« Reply #1801 on: July 30, 2013, 12:15:32 PM »
I've been trying to find the album on iTunes, but apparently it's not available through them? WTF? I was interested in keeping my collection going, but from what I've heard of the two songs released early, and the fact that it's unavailable through my main source of music, I guess I'm fucked. So...  :tdwn

The album releases in the US on August 6th (next week), so the US iTunes store wouldn't have it up yet. The folks who have it already are probably outside the US. I'd expect it to be available on iTunes next Tuesday.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #1802 on: July 30, 2013, 12:17:48 PM »

The album releases in the US on August 6th (next week), so the US iTunes store wouldn't have it up yet. The folks who have it already are probably outside the US. I'd expect it to be available on iTunes next Tuesday.
Yeah I just saw the release date for the states on Amazon.  :facepalm: :loser:
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #1803 on: July 30, 2013, 12:18:50 PM »
I'm in the US and it's on Spotify if you just wanna stream it for now.

Offline Rhayader

« Reply #1804 on: July 30, 2013, 01:11:15 PM »
Very shitty album to say the least.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1805 on: July 30, 2013, 01:12:33 PM »

Pourquoi?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1806 on: July 30, 2013, 01:14:18 PM »
While I wouldn't put it quite as harshly as Rhayader, I have to say that I'm underwhelmed as well. This was my first exposure what JLB and Matt do together and it just didn't capture my interest enough. I enjoyed each track seperately, but taken as an album, it did become a little samey. Agony and Undertow are killer though. :metal

That said, I might come back to this to see if my opinion changes, because, on paper, I feel that I should like this a lot more than I do.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #1807 on: July 30, 2013, 01:18:35 PM »
What great constructive criticism :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1808 on: July 30, 2013, 01:20:11 PM »

I strongly suggest you read the forum rules.  All opinions are welcome, but criticism should be constructive and not outright bashing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1809 on: July 30, 2013, 01:24:10 PM »
What great constructive criticism :tup
Especially considering that two of the musicians appearing on the album have posted in this thread and may see that... ::)

Offline Rhayader

« Reply #1810 on: July 30, 2013, 01:25:10 PM »

Pourquoi?
Nothing interesting at all. The growl vocals are horrible, they ruin the songs even more. It seems like they downloaded a "Metal Album Generator" and made an album. 3-5 minutes songs with the SAME formula, refrain, refrain, refrain and a guitar solo. If people enjoy it, fine.. I don't. And don't get me wrong.. it is fine if you want to follow the same formula over and over again if you actually write good songs, which is not the case here and in his previous album. It seems to me it was recorded just for the sake of being recorded.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1811 on: July 30, 2013, 01:28:31 PM »

Pourquoi?
Nothing interesting at all. The growl vocals are horrible, they ruin the songs even more. It seems like they downloaded a "Metal Album Generator" and made an album. 3-5 minutes songs with the SAME formula, refrain, refrain, refrain and a guitar solo. If people enjoy it, fine.. I don't. And don't get me wrong.. it is fine if you want to follow the same formula over and over again if you actually write good songs, which is not the case here and in his previous album. It seems to me it was recorded just for the sake of being recorded.

Puh-lease. What other albums out now sound like this?

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1812 on: July 30, 2013, 01:29:59 PM »
Don't feed the trolls.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1813 on: July 30, 2013, 01:30:36 PM »

Pourquoi?

Puh-lease. What other albums out now sound like this?
I like the album, but it sounds like Soilwork, which isn't a bad thing in my book  :biggrin:

Offline Rhayader

« Reply #1814 on: July 30, 2013, 01:32:13 PM »
Don't feed the trolls.
Not trolling.. I am actually being sincere, but maybe I shouldn't have posted any opinion since everyone seems to like anything DT-related and the one who criticizes gets attacked. :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1815 on: July 30, 2013, 01:36:13 PM »
Don't feed the trolls.
Not trolling.. I am actually being sincere, but maybe I shouldn't have posted any opinion since everyone seems to like anything DT-related and the one who criticizes gets attacked. :)

Rhayader, that is simply not true.  You can criticize anything DT-related, provided it is done constructively.  Literally thousands of users on this site do criticize things related to DT without any problem.  Again, it is all in how you say it.  I gave you a friendly informal warning earlier in the thread, but yet you continue to simply bash the album rather than constructively voice your criticisms.  So consider this a formal warning.  If you have questions about how you should be posting, read the forum rules, and then PM either me or a mod.  But if you continue posting the way you have, you will not be allowed to continue posting here.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1816 on: July 30, 2013, 01:36:51 PM »
Don't feed the trolls.
Er, no, there is plenty of criticism here, but outright bashing is disrespectful and childish.

Bosk already warned you, so I strongly recommend you take a more constructive and respectful approach to your criticisms or you'll find yourself banned.

EDIT: ninja'd by teh bosk.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Rhayader

« Reply #1817 on: July 30, 2013, 01:38:37 PM »
For what reason did I receive warning if I justified why I didn't like the album? Or is it against the rules not to like/criticize an album?

Offline Rhayader

« Reply #1818 on: July 30, 2013, 01:40:12 PM »
Don't feed the trolls.

Rhayader, that is simply not true.  You can criticize anything DT-related, provided it is done constructively.  Literally thousands of users on this site do criticize things related to DT without any problem.  Again, it is all in how you say it.  I gave you a friendly informal warning earlier in the thread, but yet you continue to simply bash the album rather than constructively voice your criticisms.  So consider this a formal warning.  If you have questions about how you should be posting, read the forum rules, and then PM either me or a mod.  But if you continue posting the way you have, you will not be allowed to continue posting here.

I thought you read what I wrote above...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1819 on: July 30, 2013, 01:41:28 PM »