Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 548509 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: Transatlantic: The Absolute Universe pre-orders
« Reply #3920 on: February 06, 2021, 01:02:01 PM »
Seeing as it was 6 degrees out with a wind chill of roughly -6, I had no intention of going out to my mailbox today. Then I checked my shipping email from Laser CD and it says both albums are in my mailbox. Did not expect them today.

Thankfully, it has since warmed up. It's now 9 with a wind chill of -5. Heat wave going on here.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline emtee

« Reply #3921 on: February 06, 2021, 01:11:54 PM »
Hmmm....

I want to love it but so far it's just kinda there. No sweeping highs or goosebumps. I'll give it more time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3922 on: February 06, 2021, 01:15:39 PM »
Hmmm....

I want to love it but so far it's just kinda there. No sweeping highs or goosebumps. I'll give it more time.

It's way too early for me to make that call, but I do think the ending (on both) seemed a bit anti-climatic. Of course, if it was the typical Neal grandiose ending, we'd be saying how predictable it was :lol, so this could be one of those "no win" situations, haha.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3923 on: February 06, 2021, 02:58:04 PM »
I opted for starting with Forevermore and moving onto The Breath of life once I'm completely familiar with the long version. My first listen was pretty much a chore. The second listen, however, was magical. I am truly looking forward to spending a week with the album.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3924 on: February 06, 2021, 03:03:06 PM »
After some good listens of both now, I'm definitely preferring Breath of Life quite a bit. I started with Forevermore, but I honestly just found it quite bloated and some of the vocal lines just weren't doing it for me at all. I thought maybe this just wasn't going to be an album for me, but then my first listen of TBOL was so much better. More engaging, more energetic, better hooks.

My feelings on it currently are:

- All the stuff that's shared between the albums (either exactly, or slightly altenate versions) is as good or a bit better on TBOL. In terms of the notable alternate versions: Reaching for the Sky is so much more engaging than Heart of a Whirlwind thanks to much better vocal lines; and there isn't much between Take Now My Soul and Swing High, Swing Low but I probably have a very slight preference for the former.

- In terms of what's missing from TBOL, none of it feels essential. The only bit I particularly miss is Bully, but that's only 2 minutes long anyway. Rainbow Sky is fine but nothing special, same with The World We Used to Know, same with Lonesome Rebel (I definitely prefer both the melodies and the uplifting energy of Can You Feel It). The Sun Comes Up Today might be my least favourite track in TA's entire catalogue.

- And then the other 10-15 minutes of difference comes from just having much less bloat in the songs-in-common, which I much prefer.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3925 on: February 06, 2021, 03:03:17 PM »
Hmmm....

It's way too early for me to make that call, but I do think the ending (on both) seemed a bit anti-climatic. Of course, if it was the typical Neal grandiose ending, we'd be saying how predictable it was :lol, so this could be one of those "no win" situations, haha.

Wait, it’s not the typical Neal Morse grandiose ending?

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3926 on: February 06, 2021, 05:40:55 PM »
It pretty much is, it’s just not as good as his others imo.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3927 on: February 06, 2021, 06:08:50 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised by Forevermore, it was an album that just did not let up until the final track on disc 2, at least that is my recollection from only one listen still. The tempos were higher, didn't notice much slower moments, or am I forgetting a lot of stuff? There's usually some lighter, slower, and/or ballady stuff on TA albums and not til the final track do we get a 'break'. Personally, I really liked that. I agree the ending didn't seem as strong as the endings of The Whirlwind or other big pieces of music in the Neal/Roine worlds, but it may need more listens.

My first listen to Octavarium, I didn't think much of that finale either.
or the finale to Stranger In Your Soul
or the finale to The Whirlwind
or the finale to The Truth Will Set You Free

I'm not saying TAU's finale is on par with the above epics, but I could probably list just about every big Neal/Roine/DT epic with a big finale and say the first time I listened I didn't think too much of it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3928 on: February 06, 2021, 08:00:39 PM »
Hmmm....

I suppose it is along the same lines, yes, with a slowed down and overly dramatic rendition of one of the main themes, but it feels less bombastic and a little more subdued than normal.  I really wonder if the reason for the more subdued ending is because of Neal's voice and how it is aging. I hate to use the word decline, because Neal's vocals have always been more about passion, emotion and character than pure technique (although he had a nice vibrato when he used it), but there is a definite loss of power in his overall vocals.  I really noticed it on Sola Gratia, and I noticed it right away here as well.  But hey, like I said before, he is 60 now, and his still does sound really good.  He has just lost some power and kind of has that older, weary element to his vocals now, which can be quite charming more often than not.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3929 on: February 06, 2021, 08:16:54 PM »
Hmmm....

I suppose it is along the same lines, yes, with a slowed down and overly dramatic rendition of one of the main themes, but it feels less bombastic and a little more subdued than normal.  I really wonder if the reason for the more subdued ending is because of Neal's voice and how it is aging. I hate to use the word decline, because Neal's vocals have always been more about passion, emotion and character than pure technique (although he had a nice vibrato when he used it), but there is a definite loss of power in his overall vocals.  I really noticed it on Sola Gratia, and I noticed it right away here as well.  But hey, like I said before, he is 60 now, and his still does sound really good.  He has just lost some power and kind of has that older, weary element to his vocals now, which can be quite charming more often than not.

I actually thought he handled the last track pretty well vocally, but definitely he’s lost power and range.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3930 on: February 06, 2021, 08:29:09 PM »

I actually thought he handled the last track pretty well vocally, but definitely he’s lost power and range.

I still wonder if he did permanent damage to it in the rehearsals for the Morsefest shows in 2018 (Voices of the Beard night 1, the Exorcist night 2).  He made a joke the first night about how he had blown his voice out doing too much in rehearsals that week and sounded pretty hoarse both nights, and it seems like his voice has not been quite the same since.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3931 on: February 07, 2021, 09:19:25 AM »
Anyone else catch that Yes quote around 2:20 or so on The World We Used To Know? Sounds like a riff from Tales From Topographic Oceans, I think it's from Ritual.

Is the Ultimate Edition still available? I don't see it on Radiant's website.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3932 on: February 07, 2021, 09:26:26 AM »
Anyone else catch that Yes quote around 2:20 or so on The World We Used To Know? Sounds like a riff from Tales From Topographic Oceans, I think it's from Ritual.

It sounds like the "nananana"-theme from Rituals, but I wouldn't say it's a direct quite... But Roine always sounds a little like Yes in my opinion  ;)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3933 on: February 07, 2021, 09:32:26 AM »

Wow, you're right, it's also sold out on Burning Shed, Just For Kicks and InsideOut  :omg:

I'd never have thought that it would sell out, even the D/T boxset is STILL available at InsideOut (although that one was WAY too expensive, while the TA and LTE ones are fine imo).

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3934 on: February 07, 2021, 09:43:25 AM »

Wow, you're right, it's also sold out on Burning Shed, Just For Kicks and InsideOut  :omg:

I'd never have thought that it would sell out, even the D/T boxset is STILL available at InsideOut (although that one was WAY too expensive, while the TA and LTE ones are fine imo).

I never expected it to sell out unless they didn't make that many copies. I wanted to wait and see how much I liked the music on the two "main" albums before I decided to get the Ultimate.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3935 on: February 07, 2021, 09:49:12 AM »
I will likely make my own ultimate edition here before long anyway. 

For example, I think Reaching for the Sky (BOL) is way better than Heart Like a Whirlwind (Forevermore), but I like Swing Low, Swing High (Forevermore) a lot more than Take Now My Soul (BOL), so I will work it to get both of those on my own ultimate edition.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3936 on: February 07, 2021, 12:27:10 PM »

I never expected it to sell out unless they didn't make that many copies. I wanted to wait and see how much I liked the music on the two "main" albums before I decided to get the Ultimate.

If you wanna get it now, it's still available at relatively ok prices at Discogs:
https://www.discogs.com/de/sell/release/17230804?ev=rb
105 bucks plus shipping, that's still like 30 bucks more than the original price, but it's still fine in my opinion.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3937 on: February 07, 2021, 01:11:35 PM »

If you wanna get it now, it's still available at relatively ok prices at Discogs:
https://www.discogs.com/de/sell/release/17230804?ev=rb
105 bucks plus shipping, that's still like 30 bucks more than the original price, but it's still fine in my opinion.

I was just talking about the bluray which I believe was going for 20 bucks or so. Not the box set.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3938 on: February 07, 2021, 05:03:52 PM »

For example, I think Reaching for the Sky (BOL) is way better than Heart Like a Whirlwind (Forevermore), but I like Swing Low, Swing High (Forevermore) a lot more than Take Now My Soul (BOL), so I will work it to get both of those on my own ultimate edition.

I was thinking that myself that fans will mix and match to make their own version of the album.  I don’t know them well enough to do that yet but can definitely see me doing my own edition at some point.

Just as an aside, I’m amazed that the “When love lays down” section at the end of The World We Used To Know was not reprised.  That definitely felt like something that would have had the epic finale treatment.

As for Neal’s voice, I still think he does a decent job and is by far the most accomplished singer in the band but there are a couple of moments that I think he sounds quite like Mike Portnoy.  Bits where I’ve thought, wow this is the best Mike’s ever sounded and then, as it goes on it becomes clear that it’s Neal singing.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3939 on: February 07, 2021, 08:57:49 PM »

I may do this myself some day, but that might be weeks or months from now, once I've familiarized myself with both albums thoroughly enough. Before then, I still need to hear Mike's Ultimate Mix first and hear what they put out officially. It may be just as satisfying as anything I could come up with anyway!

Also, maybe it's time we update the thread title now that the album is officially out?  :lol

Also also, my individual CD sets should be on their way tomorrow, and the Ultimate Box Set arriving the next day or so (if not also tomorrow), and Mike's Drum Cam DVD has its shipping label printed, so I'm hoping that arrives within the next week or so as well! I am ready to absorb it ALL, but I've been continuing listening to Forevermore for the most part over the last two days. I think I'm going to try and get into Forevermore as deeply as I can and then switch over to The Breath Of Life to freshen things up a bit. With every spin, I am discovering new things to like, and enjoying things I already like even more so than before, but I will echo the sentiments that the final track doesn't seem as strong as any other closer they've done, but it is slowly growing on me. I continue finding myself humming various melodies from the album as I go through my day, so the earworms are working their way into my head!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3940 on: February 08, 2021, 04:33:55 AM »
That's the approach I'm adopting as well. Familiarize myself with Forevermore, then give TBOL a go.

In my personal headcanon (just as valid as anyone else's), the album is called The Absolute Universe, but the piece of music that the album contains is called Forevermore or The Breath of Life. In much the same way as The Whirlwind is both the album and the 12-movement piece of music, and Edison's Children's Final Breath Before November has the 63-minute Silhouette, so it is here.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3941 on: February 08, 2021, 05:17:50 AM »
I've had almost 3 full listens to Forevermore now and I enjoyed each listen although over the last 3 albums now I am noticing that Transatlantic is sounding more and more like Neal Morse solo music and less and less like those first two albums, which seemed more...varied...or something.  Now I am probably one of the most forgiving and generous people when it comes to shared vocals in bands where not every vocalist is a "lead vocalist" per se.  But with that said, I think it was not the greatest idea to have Pete singing so much lead vocals.  As I've seen mentioned here and elsewhere it comes across as very amateurish-sounding and the pitch-correction artifacts are kind of...well...let's just say it's not a highlight of the album.  I cringe when I hear it.

Portnoy's lead vocals, on the other hand, are oddly appropriate for the style and feel of the song they used him in.  And he's clearly had some vocal coaching in the last few years because if they did any pitch correction at all on his vocal tracks it was very minimal because I cannot hear any artifacts at all.  I still find his singing voice kind of grating but here it kind of fits with the mood and vibe of the song.

It's still far, far too soon for me to judge this but I am fairly certain it's going to come in ahead of Kaleidoscope which, to me, is easily their weakest album to date, but I have a hard time believing it will eclipse BAF, SMTP:e or The Whirlwind.  But you never know.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3942 on: February 08, 2021, 06:31:30 AM »
Yeah, I agree about Pete.  Most of his lead vocal parts sound like bad karaoke.  Portnoy doesn't have a naturally great-sounding singing voice, but he has improved enough to where the occasional lead vocal works fine. 

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3943 on: February 08, 2021, 07:15:03 AM »
Since I haven't heard much Marillion, does Pete do any vocals in that band?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline DTA

« Reply #3944 on: February 08, 2021, 07:19:01 AM »

Nope, though Hogarth is becoming harder to listen to as he mumbles through nearly every song

Offline frogprog

« Reply #3945 on: February 08, 2021, 07:43:44 AM »
Anybody order vinyl from Laser's Edge and know when it's shipping? I can't get any info from them.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3946 on: February 08, 2021, 07:50:24 AM »

Very few and they stick out like a sore thumb, IMO.

I'm more or less a Marillion die-hard, and he's become a phenomenal instrumentalist (I don't limit that to bass) but I cringe when he steps anywhere near a microphone.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3947 on: February 08, 2021, 08:06:36 AM »
Yeah, I agree about Pete.  Most of his lead vocal parts sound like bad karaoke.  Portnoy doesn't have a naturally great-sounding singing voice, but he has improved enough to where the occasional lead vocal works fine.

Well, I was trying to be nice about it  :lol   But I have to say I  agree about the Karaoke thing.  That's two albums in a row where they've used him as a lead vocalist in significant portions of songs where I am kind of surprised they'd do that and actually leave it in there in the official release.  It's a curious choice for sure.  I guess there is a certain charm to it, perhaps?

I'm not ready to listen to the shorter version just yet, but I've now made it all the way through Forevermore 4 times start to finish.  I'm going to have a full listen with the headphones and lyrics in hand if I ever get my pre-order from Radiant Records.  :|

Offline HOF

« Reply #3948 on: February 08, 2021, 08:16:39 AM »

Very few and they stick out like a sore thumb, IMO.

I'm more or less a Marillion die-hard, and he's become a phenomenal instrumentalist (I don't limit that to bass) but I cringe when he steps anywhere near a microphone.

Now I’m trying to think where Pete sings on any Marillion studio albums. Live he does for sure. I’m just having a hard time coming up with anything off the top of my head.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3949 on: February 08, 2021, 08:23:24 AM »
I should be getting both CDs today, and the Blu-ray from Radiant has shipped and expected end of the week. I listened to Forevermore twice so far, still not sure what to make of it. Some very good parts and a lot more to get into. This will require quite a bit of time to spend on and digest I feel. In someway it's like Flying Color's third album. Similar reaction on the first few listens, not sure what to make of it in the beginning. But loved it much later on.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3950 on: February 08, 2021, 08:43:33 AM »
I think there is a certain charm with Pete's vocals. They work well on Forevermore in my opinion. It has that soft, pleasant quality that adds a new dimension to their vocal palate. Especially compared to Roine's rough voice and Mike's sometimes rather agressive bits.

All of the vocals work, though. I've always liked that Transatlantic has four voices that can be utilized in appropriate sections.

Online ErHaO

« Reply #3951 on: February 08, 2021, 09:05:12 AM »
It has been very long since I listened to Transatlantic and most of my listening was when I first got into prog. My impression is good, I really enjoy the music. But, every vocal line that is not Neal or even Mike, ranges from passable to terrible for me in terms of singing.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3952 on: February 08, 2021, 09:15:29 AM »
I think the vocals from Pete and Roine are fine in a sort of human way. Like not every singer needs to be an amazing vocalist to be interesting. I wouldn’t want to listen to a whole album of Pete singing, but one track here or there is fine and adds a different flavor.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #3953 on: February 08, 2021, 09:24:24 AM »
I got a reply from Lasers Edge. Vinyl arrived late Friday and are shipping today (Monday) in case anyone else is curious. They are coming from Vorhees NJ and I'm in Philly suburbs( only about 50 minutes away)so hopefully only another day or 2.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3954 on: February 08, 2021, 09:25:14 AM »
I like Roine’s vocals, I think they’re a nice contrast to Neal.  In previous albums, I have also enjoyed Pete’s little vocal spots as they seem to have been tailored to his voice and had a certain quiet charm to them.  When he’s got to carry a whole song though or at least an extended part of a song, he’s just not a professional singer and it shows.  It sounds like me trying to sing!