Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 528688 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Transatlantic: The Absolute Universe pre-orders
« Reply #3745 on: January 21, 2021, 08:51:41 AM »
Exactly what Bill said.  As other pointed out directly following your post, the information that has been released pretty much says the exact opposite of what you posted.  The extended version, which was written pretty much the way they have always written, was written first between all members.  The abridged version, which came from Neal, was written afterward.  Besides, the actual lyrics don't bear out your theory at all.  It's just not what happened here.    (not to mention that nobody in the band has ever said they had even the slightest problem with Neal's lyrics)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3746 on: January 21, 2021, 09:36:14 AM »
So one album (the Neal one) is NOT more spiritual and explicitly Christian themed than the other one?

I mean, just look at the title.

If I'm wrong then I'll eat my words when my copy arrives, but it seems to me like people are rejecting the way I framed things in my initial observation, rather than whether there was any truth to it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3747 on: January 21, 2021, 09:39:29 AM »
People are rejecting what you said based on the fact that what the band has said is almost exactly 180 degrees from what you said.  There is zero indication that there is any truth to what you said.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3748 on: January 21, 2021, 09:45:49 AM »
All I want to know is if one of these albums is explicitly more Christian themed than the other. From what I have read, that seems exactly to be the case. And when I mentioned that my previous post was going in the right direction, I just meant my initial observation from months ago that one of these albums would be heavier on the Christian themes. As to what I said about it being because of some disagreement in the band, I have never said that was anything other than my speculation. But I really can't imagine why anybody would do an album like this if they had been able to come to some kind of compromise instead. For what it's worth, I think it's a novel concept to let two different people produce the same album and release it at once. But I am also pretty confident that it's an experiment not worth  repeating - though I hope I'm wrong.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3749 on: January 21, 2021, 09:50:59 AM »
If anything, TBOL might be LESS spiritual because I believe Neal edited out at least 2 of his compositions from the Forevermore version. He's stated in interviews that when he went to edit the album, he did so pretty fairly, taking out bits from each member's contributions,  which I believe include at least two songs by Neal. Those with the album already can probably confirm this.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3750 on: January 21, 2021, 10:11:15 AM »
All I want to know is if one of these albums is explicitly more Christian themed than the other. From what I have read, that seems exactly to be the case.

"Explicitly?"  I wouldn't say that.  Granted, I haven't sat down and gone through the lyrics with a fine-toothed comb.  But I don't really get a sense of that being the case from the listens I did (and I had to listen quite a few times to be able to review the albums).  But there also aren't really that many lyrics that were changed either.  I'm curious what you read that is giving you that impression.

But I really can't imagine why anybody would do an album like this if they had been able to come to some kind of compromise instead.

Well, they pretty much explained what happened.  They ALL wrote this as a double album, and even Neal was completely on board and advocating that during the initial writing sessions.  It wasn't until several months later after he had done Morsefest, some other gigs, and a vacation, and turned back to the album that he felt the music wasn't working for him.  So he cut it down.  As he was messing around with a late cutting, he also felt that with the new arrangement, the build-up to the end felt off, so he wrote another short piece the bridge that gap.  Then he presented it, and somebody else (we don't know who, other than the fact that it wasn't Roine--I can't decide whether I think Pete or Mike is more likely) also liked the shorter version better.  They debated it, and decided to do both after Portnoy suggested it.  Then they got label approval.  THEN Neal rewrote some lyrics.  But, in short, the reason was that Neal began to feel that the music didn't flow as well when it was a double album, and he thought that something more concise worked better.  It kind of makes sense when you think about the fact that three of his most recent works, Similitude, JCTE, and The Great Adventure, were monster double albums, and then he went and did Sola Gratia, which was much more concise (by his standards, anyway) right before turning back to the TA album and feeling it was too long.

For what it's worth, I think it's a novel concept to let two different people produce the same album and release it at once.

For sure, except that you can't really say it was "two different people producing the same album."  The entire band wrote the first one and was on board with it initially.  Then Roine and either Pete or Mike advocated heavily for keeping it a double after the alternative cut was presented.  And, as I understand it, it was a 2/2 split as to which was preferred.

If anything, TBOL might be LESS spiritual because I believe Neal edited out at least 2 of his compositions from the Forevermore version. He's stated in interviews that when he went to edit the album, he did so pretty fairly, taking out bits from each member's contributions,  which I believe include at least two songs by Neal. Those with the album already can probably confirm this.

-Marc.

Yeah, the two that jump out at me are Bully and Rainbow Sky.  Bully is a Neal lead vocal song, but as far as the musical contribution, I'm not sure.  Rainbow Sky was primarily Neal on the music side, according to Roine (although the two of them share the lead vocal).  I remember Roine saying he thought it was one of the best songs on the album, and was bummed that Neal cut it from the Breath of Life version of the album, whereas Neal thought it was one of the weaker songs (or maybe Neal said that, actually--I don't remember for sure). 

An interesting song for this particular discussion is Swing High, Swing Low (Forevermore version)/Take Now My Soul (Breath of Life version).  What is interesting to me is that both are pretty religious in terms of the lyrics.  But yet, they are completely different, lyrically.  I wouldn't say that either is blatantly more religious than the other.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3751 on: January 21, 2021, 10:31:10 AM »
Roine thought Rainbow Sky is one of the best songs on the album? That's weird. I think this song is by far the least interesting on the record. And it (and Bully) actually intervenes with the flow a little for me, I think it would have been better if Sing High would have flown into Looking For The Light directly.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3752 on: January 21, 2021, 10:33:28 AM »
What Bosk1 has described it certainly more interesting than what I had been thinking, and I'm glad to hear that the shorter album is still somewhat of a collaborative effort. Neal is, I'm sure, a good guy, but his way of evangelizing it's pretty much the opposite of how I respond to my own faith, and generally leaves me feeling pretty cold.

I don't remember exactly, but I believe it was the Prog Report which gave me the impression that the shorter album was more like a Neal album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3753 on: January 21, 2021, 10:42:11 AM »
I don't remember exactly, but I believe it was the Prog Report which gave me the impression that the shorter album was more like a Neal album.

It is a "Neal album" in the sense of him being the one who took everybody's contributions and cutting it all into the basic version of the album he thought it should be (similar in some respects to how he took the music NMB wrote together for what would become TGE, but at the time was something else, and he had a change of heart and recut it into something different on his own and presented it to the band--although that was the opposite direction in terms of length, being originally a single album that he extended into a double).  But, at least to me, it doesn't really come across as a "Neal album" in terms of being dominated by the lyrical themes from his solo albums. 

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3754 on: January 21, 2021, 12:35:29 PM »
Yeah, the two that jump out at me are Bully and Rainbow Sky.  Bully is a Neal lead vocal song, but as far as the musical contribution, I'm not sure.  Rainbow Sky was primarily Neal on the music side, according to Roine (although the two of them share the lead vocal).  I remember Roine saying he thought it was one of the best songs on the album, and was bummed that Neal cut it from the Breath of Life version of the album, whereas Neal thought it was one of the weaker songs (or maybe Neal said that, actually--I don't remember for sure). 

An interesting song for this particular discussion is Swing High, Swing Low (Forevermore version)/Take Now My Soul (Breath of Life version).  What is interesting to me is that both are pretty religious in terms of the lyrics.  But yet, they are completely different, lyrically.  I wouldn't say that either is blatantly more religious than the other.

If anyone is curious, I managed to screen-cap the TA5 Sessions whiteboard that Mike "accidentally" showed in his Instagram story, and here's what I could pick out:

-At the top, it says "TA5 - Off The Grid", which could be a working title?
-Pete has 3 ideas titled "Sun Comes Up", "Genesis Bit", and "World End"
-On the far right, there's a part that says "Need in Overture", with two items under it: "Big Theme" and "Love? (something)"
-Mike has one idea, simply titled "Mowwww"
-Roine has at least 8 items under his name, two of which have red check marks beside them (possibly because they have already been used). From top to bottom, the ones I can make out are "Hogwarts"(maybe?), "The Samuraij" (?), "Out Again", "Hiking", "Folklore", "Black Swan", "Igorte"(?) and "Escape", with the first and last of those getting aforementioned checks.
-The far left of the whiteboard was a bit too blurry on my screen caps, but I think it's safe to say these are Neal's ideas, even though I cannot read his name anywhere on there, but it appears four of those ideas have red check marks beside them.
-Of these 9 or 10 ideas on the far left, I can make out "Overture", "Bally" or "Rally", "Rainbow ____"?, and "Westward Baby".

I'm sure Neal or Mike will release a full picture of this whiteboard at SOME point. At the very least, one of them will include in the Making Of "TA5" bonus DVD that comes with the Special Edition of the album next year. It seems like they have no shortage of ideas this time, and as usual, I am sure they are writing some new stuff as they jam along. Seeing them in these sessions really makes me want to rewatch the Making Of The Whirlwind and Kaleidoscope documentaries!!

-Marc.

I can't believe I haven't gone back and looked at this since the press release a few weeks ago, but let's finally look at what song titles made it over to the final track list!

From Pete's ideas, we've got 'The Sun Comes Up Today" opening the 2nd CD of Forevermore. "Genesis Bit" was obviously a placeholder, and both "World" and "End" feature in separate song titles, so it's hard to say which song this idea might have become.

"Love Made A Way" seems like the idea that was just listed as "Love".

Roine's ideas all have names that don't seem to translate well to any of the finalized track names, but "Black Swan" must have been passed on because the latest Flower Kings album has a song with that title, so it's possible he saved it and reworked it for TFK.

Of Neal's ideas, of course we get another Overture, but it looks like "Bully" was the word I could barely make out, as well as "Rainbow Sky", both of which are back-to-back on Forevermore. Not sure where "Westward Baby" ended up though.

Can't wait to watch the Making Of Documentary for this one just to see how they eventually pieced together the initial double album!

-Marc.

Looking back at this post from earlier in the thread, it seems that both "Bully" and "Rainbow Sky" were originally Neal ideas, and in fact, the titles weren't even changed from the demoing stage.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3755 on: January 22, 2021, 07:45:12 PM »
IDK if this one was posted.
Interview with Pete:

https://youtu.be/wxhRQZTmm9o

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3756 on: January 23, 2021, 08:46:48 AM »
Getting pretty excited about TAU, less than 2 weeks til release date.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3757 on: January 23, 2021, 09:46:06 AM »

From Pete on Facebook earlier:

Absolute Universe stand alone Blu-ray’s are in. Our stock is starting to arrive at Racket.
Most things are still available.
Transatlantic
http://www.marillion.com/shop/

In case anyone wanted to see what the standalone BD looked like!

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3758 on: January 23, 2021, 09:56:51 AM »
IDK if this one was posted.
Interview with Pete:

https://youtu.be/wxhRQZTmm9o

It's AN interview with Pete, but I don't think it's THE interview with Pete that's part of the official IO series with the other members. Unless it is, in which case it's strange that this got posted not on the official IO channel.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3759 on: January 23, 2021, 09:58:03 AM »
Nice!  I still wish they would have just done a simple digipack bundle that has both versions of the album on CD, and then the BD as a bonus disk.  But I'm not complaining.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3760 on: January 23, 2021, 10:53:01 AM »
Nice!  I still wish they would have just done a simple digipack bundle that has both versions of the album on CD, and then the BD as a bonus disk.  But I'm not complaining.

Maybe they couldn't agree on the artwork either. Personally, without having heard any of the music yet, I think the Ultimate Edition cover is THE album cover, since the theme seems to be outer space. The other 2 are cool, I think they look more like what could have been found inside this hypothetical 4-disc digipak to represent each version.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3761 on: January 23, 2021, 11:02:48 AM »
Gotta say, happy to see proper packaging. I don't know, for some reason my expectation is that I would get the blu-ray in a paper sleeve from Radiant and that's it. I honestly didn't expect packaging as this was a last second, fan demanded thing.

Now, of course, I'll complain just a little. I wish it was CD sized so it could sit on my shelf next to the other versions, but that's a small thing.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3762 on: January 23, 2021, 12:30:03 PM »
Holy shit!  I just watched the "Looking for the Light" video.  I am psyched.

I do not pre-order, so I still have time to decide some things, and of course more options may present themselves.  But I am psyched.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3763 on: January 24, 2021, 12:24:09 PM »
From Mike on FB:
I know everybody is still buzzing from the new LTE video and it’s upcoming release at the end of March, but let’s not forget we have this EPIC release coming in less than 2 weeks! ABSOLUTEly one of the greatest musical achievements of my career! Physical copies have just arrived at the Portnoy House... Transatlantic #TA5 #TheAbsoluteuniVerse

Less than two weeks and I'm getting antsy waiting for it!

Interesting to note that it looks like Mike's copies of TBOL are digipaks whereas Neal had his in jewel cases. I'm assuming Mike got his order from Inside Out Europe as they typically release in digipaks compared to the North American releases that will sometimes release in jewel cases.

-Marc.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3764 on: January 26, 2021, 08:10:26 AM »
Here's the InsideOut interview with Pete:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPYdWgJiryY
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3765 on: January 26, 2021, 09:07:57 AM »
https://youtu.be/wDOG6fGZaEs
As for Pete's interviewer? I dunno, John Mitchell?

-Marc.

Here's the InsideOut interview with Pete:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPYdWgJiryY

Oooh, I called it! Very nice. I'm listening to it now. It's been good so far, a bit of "The History of TA through Pete's eyes", which is quite interesting because i feel like he's the least spoken-up about the band's history.

-Marc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3766 on: January 26, 2021, 09:57:57 AM »
So now we know:  Pete was the other guy who was leaning toward a shorter album.

So putting the pieces together:  They wrote and arranged it as the full, double album version that became Forevermore.  Neal, Mike, and Roine wanted the longer version.  Pete thought it best to cut it down, but was willing to go along with the crowd.  Neal came back to the album after a few months of his gigging and vacation, and had a change of heart.  He recut and rewrote it as a single album, and sent it to the rest of the band with the "Am I crazy?" email.  Mike then made the suggestion of releasing both versions, so they ran it by the label and got the green light, and did both.  And since it involved a lot of rewriting, they spent a few months re-recording and exchanging files, rewriting and re-singing lyrics, etc. 

The timing also explains why more of the lyrics on the Breath of Life version tie into more of the events of 2020.

Also confirmed that the 5.1 "version" came from Mike sitting down with Rich Mouser and splicing together his favorites from each of the two albums.  It does not have any additional content that doesn't appear on the two "official" versions. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3767 on: January 26, 2021, 10:02:05 AM »

So putting the pieces together:  They wrote and arranged it as the full, double album version that became Forevermore.  Neal, Mike, and Roine wanted the longer version.  Pete thought it best to cut it down, but was willing to go along with the crowd.  Neal came back to the album after a few months of his gigging and vacation, and had a change of heart.  He recut and rewrote it as a single album, and sent it to the rest of the band with the "Am I crazy?" email.  Mike then made the suggestion of releasing both versions, so they ran it by the label and got the green light, and did both.  And since it involved a lot of rewriting, they spent a few months re-recording and exchanging files, rewriting and re-singing lyrics, etc. 

The timing also explains why more of the lyrics on the Breath of Life version tie into more of the events of 2020.

Also confirmed that the 5.1 "version" came from Mike sitting down with Rich Mouser and splicing together his favorites from each of the two albums.  It does not have any additional content that doesn't appear on the two "official" versions.

That's what I thought about the Blu-ray version. That it was just a splicing of both together, like what I would've done for both albums if they didn't do a Blu-Ray only release. 
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3768 on: January 26, 2021, 10:15:53 AM »
Yeah, that is what it had initially sounded like.  But the way Mike described it, it was just a bit vague as to whether there still might be some new bits sprinkled in as well. 

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3769 on: January 26, 2021, 12:49:22 PM »

That's what I thought about the Blu-ray version. That it was just a splicing of both together, like what I would've done for both albums if they didn't do a Blu-Ray only release.

You probably could make your own "complete" version with all 19 tracks, but until someone has the BD in hand to listen to the 5.1 mix, we can't be too sure as to exactly HOW that version will sound. Based on song lengths, it does seem like the majority of the 5.1 mix is from Forevermore, but Mike may have mixed in bits from the TBOL versions into the Forevermore songs, like swapping around some of the vocals and lyrics. If that's the case, then it might be kind of difficult for anyone to make their own ultimate version from the stereo CDs that mimics the 5.1 mix. I would love to just get a stereo version of the 5.1 mix to listen to, but reading more and more interviews and reviews about TBOL, it seems like that the whole tone and attitude of the album is a bit different given that it was arranged in a mid-lockdown/COVID world.

The next ten days are going to be an excruciatingly long wait. I keep telling myself not to overplay the singles, but I watched all three on YouTube again last night after work, mostly because while I was at work, I found myself humming chorus to "Reaching For The Sky" and bits of "Looking For The Light". I'm excited to get all of these new melodies and rhythms stuck in my head for weeks, months, and years to come.

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3770 on: January 27, 2021, 06:18:29 PM »
Anyone else's copy of SMPTe look like this?

Yet everywhere I look, the one with the pink sky that Mike had in his new vinyl episode, is what seems like is the official art? I know it's not the Roine remix cover.

The next ten days are going to be an excruciatingly long wait. I keep telling myself not to overplay the singles, but I watched all three on YouTube again last night after work, mostly because while I was at work, I found myself humming chorus to "Reaching For The Sky" and bits of "Looking For The Light". I'm excited to get all of these new melodies and rhythms stuck in my head for weeks, months, and years to come.

-Marc.

I've done a pretty good job of not checking out the singles. I tend to over-listen to them and then get sick of them early on after the album comes out. It seems like everyone puts out 3-4 singles before album release now, it's annoying.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 06:27:42 PM by darkshade »

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3771 on: January 27, 2021, 07:02:34 PM »
Anyone else's copy of SMPTe look like this?

Yet everywhere I look, the one with the pink sky that Mike had in his new vinyl episode, is what seems like is the official art? I know it's not the Roine remix cover.

The pink cover was a response to Inside Out, who asked the band to release the album with a non-blue cover in Europe as IO had recently released a ton of albums with blue covers, so Europe got the pink cover instead, which I like more as it differentiates itself from BAF and gives.it it's own character. The NA release of the debut kept the blue cover though, but AFAIK, all subsequent versions of the album featured the pink cover (limited edition, vinyls). I assume the eventual vinyl reissue will also feature the pink cover.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 07:07:04 AM by The Letter M »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3772 on: January 27, 2021, 08:02:43 PM »
Mine has the blue cover.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3773 on: January 27, 2021, 08:47:23 PM »
Mine is blue as well.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3774 on: January 27, 2021, 09:16:56 PM »
Well, if you bought your SMPT:e from a North American seller, you were most likely to get the blue cover. I've got that version as well, but I also have the limited edition 2CD mediabook, which uses the pink cover.

Image from Discogs - https://www.discogs.com/TransAtlantic-SMPTe/release/2546439

And of course, the Roine Stolt Mixes features a different cover with mostly red hues.

Leave it to Transatlantic to release an album with multiple covers with their debut, only to do it again 21 years later with actual different music behind the covers.

And speaking of TA albums, happy 7th anniversary to their last album Kaleidoscope!!! I'm gonna give it a spin tonight in honor of it's release seven years ago today!

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3775 on: January 28, 2021, 06:47:26 AM »
The pink cover was a response to Inside Out, who asked the bans to release the album with a non-blue cover in Europe as IO had recently released a ton of albums with blue covers, so Europe got the pink cover instead, which I like more as it differentiates itself from BAF and gives.it it's own character. The NA release of the debut kept the blue cover though, but AFAIK, all subsequent versions of the album featured the pink cover (limited edition, vinyls). I assume the eventual vinyl reissue will also feature the pink cover.

-Marc.

That is just nuts  :lol

And a year later the label released two albums by two prog bands that featured almost the same cover AND the same name within two months  :lol

any rock can be made to roll

Offline HOF

« Reply #3776 on: January 28, 2021, 06:51:30 AM »
The pink cover was a response to Inside Out, who asked the bans to release the album with a non-blue cover in Europe as IO had recently released a ton of albums with blue covers, so Europe got the pink cover instead, which I like more as it differentiates itself from BAF and gives.it it's own character. The NA release of the debut kept the blue cover though, but AFAIK, all subsequent versions of the album featured the pink cover (limited edition, vinyls). I assume the eventual vinyl reissue will also feature the pink cover.

-Marc.

That is just nuts  :lol

And a year later the label released two albums by two prog bands that featured almost the same cover AND the same name within two months  :lol

Yeah the two V albums was awfully weird to be a coincidence.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3777 on: January 28, 2021, 11:26:44 AM »
Apparently some folks, at least in Europe, are already receiving their copies of TAU from Roine's store, and some orders from Radiant have started shipping/getting their labels for shipment made.

Anyone here get shipment notification yet? I ordered from Laser CD, but nothing received yet. Seeing posts on FB of people with their albums is making me super jealous! The next 8 or so days are going to be tough to wait through!

-Marc.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3778 on: January 28, 2021, 11:51:52 AM »
I ordered from both lasercd and radiant, no one has shipped so far.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3779 on: January 28, 2021, 01:36:03 PM »
^same here