Linked Events

• The Whirlwind Released: October 27, 2009

Author Topic: Transatlantic Official Thread  (Read 531470 times)

jmarkwilson (+ 1 Hidden) and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Transatlantic: The Absolute Universe pre-orders
« Reply #4060 on: February 11, 2021, 10:11:00 AM »
Well, this is actually turning out a lot cooler than I first thought it would.  I have listened to "Forevermore" 7 times front to back and I definitely dig it.   Not entirely sure how to rate it  in relation to the other albums but I can say with certainty that I like it better than Kaleidoscope and it's coming close to pulling even with The Whirlwind.

And yesterday I started listening to "The Breath of Life" version assuming I'd be listening to a condensed version of "Forevermore" but it's actually quite a bit different and even has a decent amount of different music.  I'm not sure how I feel about the alternate version of "Swing High, Swing Low" which was one of my favorites from Forevermore.  It's kind of weird to hear the exact same melodies with different lyrics, but it's cool.  I have listened to TBOL twice now and I think I now understand why Neal decided to do it this way. 

And I think I agree with him.  The shorter version of this is definitely a better album overall.  I wouldn't call anything on any of these discs "filler" but Forevermore gets a tiny bit long in the tooth near the end and by the time that llllloooooooonnnnnnnngggggggg dragged out ending comes along I turn it off with 4 minutes left because the last 4 minutes don't really do anything or go anywhere.  This is my biggest and possibly my only complaint (other than Pete's lead vocals which I think are a mistake). 

Overall, though, I'm pretty happy with this album.  It's a worthy addition to the band's body of work.  And while I was annoyed at first with the multiple editions, after hearing how it was done, I'm 100% OK with it. 

Even if you had ended up liking it, I'm glad you had a change of heart from when you initially posted after the band announced that it was releasing 2 versions that you basically thought it was a stupid cash grab and wouldn't give them a dime.  I mean, I obviously have no skin in the game, but as a fan of the band, part of me just feels good that you opened up to what they were doing and gave it a serious chance.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #4061 on: February 11, 2021, 10:22:32 AM »
Finally listened to Forevermore after having listened to The Breath of Life many times.  I was pleasantly surprised by how different it was.  I like some of the additional songs on Forevermore (The World We Used to Know,  The Sun Comes Up Today) but some I can live without (Bully, Rainbow Sky, Lonesome Rebel).  This is just my preliminary opinion which may change after more listens.

I'd say overall they're good companion albums.  I like that Forevermore has more content, but in general I tend to prefer The Breath of Life's version of songs that vary between the two versions.

Here's my initial personal "ultimate" playlist:

Overture (FM)
Reaching For the Sky (TBOL)
Higher Than the Morning (TBOL)
The Darkness in the Light (either)
Take Now My Soul (TBOL)
Looking for the Light (either)
The World We Used to Know (FM)
The Sun Comes up Today (FM)
Love Made a Way prelude (FM)
Owl Howl (TBOL)
Solitude (TBOL)
Belong (TBOL)
Can You Feel it (TBOL)
Looking for the Light reprise (either)
The Greatest Story Never ends (FM)
Love Made a Way (FM)

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4062 on: February 11, 2021, 11:21:57 AM »
I think 7 listens is enough for me to move on so I moved on to the "Breath of Life" version and whoa, there are substantial differences like almost immediately  :eek

I'm currently listening to TBOL for the first time now, after listening to Forevermore a bunch over the last week, and yea, I agree, there's a lot of differences, and I'm not even that far into it yet. I do like it so far. Not just the songs are different, or altered parts and vocals different, but I think the production/mix is different than Forevermore.

I'm probably going to treat these as 2 different albums when referencing them, probably won't always refer to it as The Absolute Universe going forward depending on the context. Even though they contain a lot of similar music, as has been mentioned here and elsewhere, these are two different experiences. I'm fine with that, as I am used to it with certain artists, like Frank Zappa, where there's at least 2 versions of roughly half the albums in his discography. We get more music and more choices, you get to choose your preferences for what you want to hear.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4063 on: February 11, 2021, 11:31:35 AM »
I also made a playlist with my own version of the album, and I'm quite happy with it so far. My original idea was to make something with a lengh in between TBOL and Forevermore (something around 75-80 mins), but after I finished I realized it ended up being the same exact lenght as Forevermore, so I guess I just made my own extended version :lol

It still feels a bit long, which is why I originally wanted something a bit shorter, but I don't want to remove another song and I already used my favorite versions of the songs that ended up being used in both releases.

Overture (FM)
Reaching for the Sky (TBOL)
Higher than the Morning (FM)
The Darkness in the Light (FM)
Swing High, Swing Low (FM)
Bully (FM)
Rainbow Sky (FM)
Looking for the Light (FM)
The World We Used to Know (FM)
The Sun Comes Up Today (FM)
Love Made a Way (Prelude) (TBOL)
Owl Howl (FM)
Solitude (TBOL)
Belong (TBOL)
Can You Feel It (TBOL)
Looking for the Light (Reprise) (FM)
The Greatest Story Never Ends (TBOL)
Love Made a Way (TBOL)

90 minutes just as Forevermore

It's mostly first half of Forevermore and second half of TBOL, but with a couple changes. I had a rough time choosing between SHSL vs TNMS, but opted for Swing because no MP lead vocals :biggrin:

The only transition that doesn't work too well is from TSCUT to LMAW Prelude, as the latter is the other version, but I couldn't leave out that Melodica intro + it flows better to Owl Howl.

Wanted to include Lonesome Rebel too, but it felt like it AND Can You Feel It don't work that well together without some tricky editing work, so it had to go. It isn't that interesting musically anyway.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4064 on: February 11, 2021, 11:45:48 AM »
I'm not sure how I feel about the alternate version of "Swing High, Swing Low" which was one of my favorites from Forevermore.  It's kind of weird to hear the exact same melodies with different lyrics, but it's cool.

For some reason I really dislike the version of that song on TBOL. "Swing high, swing low" in the chorus sounds organic to me, while "take now my soul" sounds, um, I guess forced? I'm not a native English speaker but for some reason this line sounds all wrong in the song.

This and The World We Used to Know are two reasons why I prefer the longer version, even though it's a bit more of a tedious listen.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4065 on: February 11, 2021, 11:54:48 AM »
Having only listened to The Breath of Life once, but Forevermore a handful of times, I think I can already state the obvious:

The Breath Of Life is the Neal Morse experience.

I feel like Neal can't just let TA be a full band thing, or let Roine be louder in the mix.
However, the choice to release both instead of not was the right call. Everyone's happy, but it irks me a little...

Forevermore is more like a full band effort. Roine Stolt's presence is felt more, mostly because I can hear him more and he sings much more on Forevermore than TBOL. I will admit, though, so far I feel like that the ending track Love Made A Way seems to work better on TBOL than on Forevermore... Will need to sit with this a bit more.

I understand the Roine Stolt mix of SMPTe. I love Neal and the work he does, but he does spread himself around a little too much sometimes, at the detriment of the others in the band. An example is My New World, the original version sounds a lot different, sounds more like a TFK piece, but still having its own identity in the sound. The version that landed on the album sounds like it could have been ripped off of one of Neal's solo albums, but featuring Roine. This is one of the big reasons I think The Whirlwind is so great, because it's the most collaborative the band has been. Both in writing and production.

I'm glad I chose to listen to Forevermore first.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 12:01:03 PM by darkshade »

Offline HOF

« Reply #4066 on: February 11, 2021, 12:01:16 PM »
Having only listened to The Breath of Life once, but Forevermore a handful of times, I think I can already state the obvious:

I feel like Neal can't just let TA be a full band thing, or let Roine be louder in the mix.
However, the choice to release both instead of not was the right call. Everyone's happy, but it irks me a little...

Forevermore is more like a full band effort. Roine Stolt's presence is felt more, mostly because I can hear him more and he sings much more on Forevermore than TBOL.

I understand the Roine Stolt mix of SMPTe. I love Neal and the work he does, but he does spread himself around a little too much sometimes, at the detriment of the others in the band. An example is My New World, the original version sounds a lot different, sounds more like a TFK piece, but still having its own identity in the sound. The version that landed on the album sounds like it could have been ripped off of one of Neal's solo albums, but featuring Roine. This is one of the big reasons I think The Whirlwind is so great, because it's the most collaborative the band has been. Both in writing and production.

I’ve never heard the Roine mix of My New World, but that song always seemed like a straight Stolt thing to me. Even the middle section that Neal sings sounds a lot like the middle section of There is More To This World.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4067 on: February 11, 2021, 12:02:56 PM »

Forevermore is more like a full band effort. Roine Stolt's presence is felt more, mostly because I can hear him more and he sings much more on Forevermore than TBOL.

I’ve never heard the Roine mix of My New World, but that song always seemed like a straight Stolt thing to me. Even the middle section that Neal sings sounds a lot like the middle section of There is More To This World.

Well, Roine wrote that piece. Actually, I'm referring to the original version, not the Roine Stolt mix version, which is just an alternate mix of the version that is on SMPTe. The original is a lot different, think early 00s TFK or early The Tangent.

It's on the Waterfall app under the original SMPTe album.

I understand the context of me bringing up MNW makes it sound like I was referring to the Stolt mix version.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 12:10:11 PM by darkshade »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4068 on: February 11, 2021, 12:07:24 PM »
Well, this is actually turning out a lot cooler than I first thought it would.  I have listened to "Forevermore" 7 times front to back and I definitely dig it.   Not entirely sure how to rate it  in relation to the other albums but I can say with certainty that I like it better than Kaleidoscope and it's coming close to pulling even with The Whirlwind.

And yesterday I started listening to "The Breath of Life" version assuming I'd be listening to a condensed version of "Forevermore" but it's actually quite a bit different and even has a decent amount of different music.  I'm not sure how I feel about the alternate version of "Swing High, Swing Low" which was one of my favorites from Forevermore.  It's kind of weird to hear the exact same melodies with different lyrics, but it's cool.  I have listened to TBOL twice now and I think I now understand why Neal decided to do it this way. 

And I think I agree with him.  The shorter version of this is definitely a better album overall.  I wouldn't call anything on any of these discs "filler" but Forevermore gets a tiny bit long in the tooth near the end and by the time that llllloooooooonnnnnnnngggggggg dragged out ending comes along I turn it off with 4 minutes left because the last 4 minutes don't really do anything or go anywhere.  This is my biggest and possibly my only complaint (other than Pete's lead vocals which I think are a mistake). 

Overall, though, I'm pretty happy with this album.  It's a worthy addition to the band's body of work.  And while I was annoyed at first with the multiple editions, after hearing how it was done, I'm 100% OK with it. 

Even if you had ended up liking it, I'm glad you had a change of heart from when you initially posted after the band announced that it was releasing 2 versions that you basically thought it was a stupid cash grab and wouldn't give them a dime.  I mean, I obviously have no skin in the game, but as a fan of the band, part of me just feels good that you opened up to what they were doing and gave it a serious chance.

Well, don't give me too much credit.  If I'm being 100% honest I still think profits had a LOT to do with it, but I don't really have a problem with it.  No one forced me to buy anything.

Offline HOF

« Reply #4069 on: February 11, 2021, 12:12:43 PM »

Well, Roine wrote that piece. Actually, I'm referring to the original version, not the Roine Stolt mix version, which is just an alternate mix of the version that is on SMPTe. The original is a lot different, think early 00s TFK or early The Tangent.

I understand the context of me bringing up MNW makes it sound like I was referring to the Stolt mix version.

I guess it makes sense though for the band to work on it together and it come out not just sounding like an early TFK track, right? I’m not sure that’s really something that reflects badly on Neal. His vision is a major part of what made TA great.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4070 on: February 11, 2021, 12:22:59 PM »

I guess it makes sense though for the band to work on it together and it come out not just sounding like an early TFK track, right? I’m not sure that’s really something that reflects badly on Neal. His vision is a major part of what made TA great.

I get that, but I don't know the history of that song and how it changed. All I know is that the song was Nealed up for the album proper. To me, Transatlantic is all 4 members and their collaborations, not one member taking the reigns in both influence and sound production/mix, which is what most of Transatlantic has been to me, the exception: The Whirlwind. Some even say that album is all Neal, but I hear a more equal sound on that one, and equal contributions to vocals between Neal and Roine. Same can be said for the 2 epics on Bridge Across Forever.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4071 on: February 11, 2021, 12:27:53 PM »
Yeah, I'm kind of surprised at that observation because to me The Whirlwind is the closest thing to a Neal Morse solo album that TA has released.  That and Kaleidoscope both sound like Neal Morse featuring Transatlantic. 

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4072 on: February 11, 2021, 12:36:45 PM »
Yeah, I'm kind of surprised at that observation because to me The Whirlwind is the closest thing to a Neal Morse solo album that TA has released.  That and Kaleidoscope both sound like Neal Morse featuring Transatlantic.

Kaleidoscope I agree with fully.

With The Whirlwind, the production is definitely in line with Neal's solo albums at the time, and of course the last track overwhelmingly Neal dominated, but writing-wise throughout the album, I hear way more Roine influence compared to the previous 2 albums, and Kaleidoscope, as well as more influence from Pete (and of course we all know MP oversees everything and helps in arrangements.)

Offline HOF

« Reply #4073 on: February 11, 2021, 12:40:40 PM »

Yeah, The Whirlwind had a couple obvious Roine tracks but mostly seems to be Neal heavy. I felt like on the first two albums, they blended their styles together more on each track. I also feel that Forevermore has more of a blend of Neal and Roine, whereas Breath of Life is more like The Whirlwind.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #4074 on: February 11, 2021, 12:48:44 PM »

I get that, but I don't know the history of that song and how it changed. All I know is that the song was Nealed up for the album proper. To me, Transatlantic is all 4 members and their collaborations, not one member taking the reigns in both influence and sound production/mix, which is what most of Transatlantic has been to me, the exception: The Whirlwind. Some even say that album is all Neal, but I hear a more equal sound on that one, and equal contributions to vocals between Neal and Roine. Same can be said for the 2 epics on Bridge Across Forever.

I’m pretty sure the stuff Neal brings in gets changed as well, it’s not all one way.  They all (except Portnoy) come in with ideas and the band then play with them and turn them into TA tunes.

TBOL doesn’t feel any less Transatlantic to me, just shorter and easier to digest in one sitting.  I’m still getting to grips with the two different versions but I wouldn’t say one is a NM album and the other is a TA album, they both sound like TA.  I will say though that TA have always sounded not entirely dissimilar to Neal Morse solo stuff anyway!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4075 on: February 11, 2021, 01:04:41 PM »
That's true, TA sounds most like Neal's work more than anyone else's. However, I hear a lot of Roine influence on TW, and BAF similarly. I like how well mixed Roine is on TW, and that is why I feel Roine's contributions are felt more on that album. Same with Forevermore compared to The Breath of Life or Kaleidoscope.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #4076 on: February 11, 2021, 02:30:58 PM »
Just my opinion (but backed up slightly by their relative levels of success outside of TA) but I think Neal Morse is the better songwriter of the two.  It’s not really all that much of a surprise to me then that, if you’re going to cut the album down, it will be more of the Roine stuff that gets cut. 

Don’t get me wrong though, I think Roine adds a lot to TA with his less earnest more laid back vibe contrasting nicely with Neal’s stuff and I love his vocals along with Neal’s.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4077 on: February 11, 2021, 03:00:25 PM »
If I had to pick a better songwriter I think I'd agree that Neal is probably better but not by too much.  Roine Stolt has created some pretty incredible music himself.  And I think he's a bit less predictable than Neal, who has been going back to the same bag of about 2 dozen tricks for the last 25+ years.  I hear riffs and melodies he used on Snow on the new TA album, for example.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4078 on: February 11, 2021, 03:17:48 PM »
Just my opinion (but backed up slightly by their relative levels of success outside of TA) but I think Neal Morse is the better songwriter of the two.  It’s not really all that much of a surprise to me then that, if you’re going to cut the album down, it will be more of the Roine stuff that gets cut. 

Don’t get me wrong though, I think Roine adds a lot to TA with his less earnest more laid back vibe contrasting nicely with Neal’s stuff and I love his vocals along with Neal’s.

As a singer-songwriter, Neal has the upper hand.

As for who is the better progressive rock composer, that is more up for debate. I think it depends on the song/album though.
I think Neal has been more consistent for the last 25 or so years, but Roine has hit higher highs with The Flower Kings than Neal has between SB and solo/NMB.. I also think Roine's canon is more diverse in sounds and influences than Neal, who tends to stay within certain parameters. In my opinion of course.

Offline 425

« Reply #4079 on: February 11, 2021, 03:23:01 PM »
I could be mistaken, but I think you are misinterpreting the lyrics.  I don't think that that is what they are saying.  And I don't mean to imply that you "just don't get it."  I just respectfully think that you are taking something different from them than what they are actually saying.

I'd love to be mistaken, and I don't at all take your comment as dismissive or disrespectful. I'm certainly not giving up on the album based on my initial interpretation alone.

I prefer him singing about how his religion has improved his life to him talking about the pitfalls of not being Christian. The Ways of a Fool, for example, is a song I'm not a fan of lyrically.

To defend that song's lyrics specifically:  That is a primary theme of Christianity, and the lyric, "all the ways of a fool, they are right in his own eyes" is quoted directly from the book of Proverbs.  And in context of the album, that them is also present in Pilgrim's Progress, so it makes sense to include it on the album.

I don't mean to attack the songs lyrics as in saying they are bad lyrics or out of place. I'm familiar with the reference and I agree that it's a part of Christianity and a fitting part of this particular concept. I mean to say that I personally really disagree with them and find them a bit annoying because they're sort of mocking my own deeply-held beliefs.

In terms of literary art, like novels or poetry, but also including song lyrics, I really try to make a clear separation between three issues: (1) whether think the art is well or poorly done, (2) whether I think the message is true or false, and (3) whether or not I like the art. There's a lot of really well-done literature and song lyrics that I strongly disagree with, and I like some of it despite disagreeing with that message. I think Neal has some beautiful lyrics that convey a message that I don't think is true, but where I nonetheless like the lyrics. For example, from Kaleidoscope:

Out of the cry of every pain
From the realm of doubt and shame
That's where God will lift us higher
There in our desolation days
From the well of wisdom's place
We will drink our true desire
And all will be made right
Just ride the lightning

I think the language of that verse is really well-written, and I like it a whole lot even though I disagree with the message.

With The Ways of a Fool, I think it's also well-written, although not as excellent as that excerpt. I also think it's totally appropriate for the concept album. I disagree with the message, once again. But this time I don't really like the lyrics, because they're rather insulting toward me and my own beliefs. In particular, I don't like these lines, as put in the mouth of the "fool":

Reason is the rule
Logic is a mighty Fortress
And life is nothing more

I don't really fault Neal for writing these lines, any more than I fault him for writing any other set of lines about his own beliefs (and there I fault him only to the extent of saying that I don't think he's got things right, which I could say of a lot of people about one thing or another). I understand that part of him thinking he's right is thinking that I'm wrong. Similarly, I imagine that if I wrote lyrics about my beliefs, Neal or another Christian would probably not be bothered at all by some of them, and would be bothered in a similar way by others, such as ones saying that it is wrong to live by faith.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 03:29:04 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline HOF

« Reply #4080 on: February 11, 2021, 03:27:39 PM »
I think I’d say Roine is a bit more creative and diverse as a songwriter, although they both have their respective wells they seem to go back to often. For me, both seem to have done their best work before through around 2002-2003. In that time I think Roine maybe produced more filler but maybe some higher highs. Neal’s work on those SB albums was just consistently excellent with only a few low points. Roine’s writing tends to have a little more gravitas and sadness to it while Neal’s is a bit more light hearted and joyful. I love both in their own way so it’s hard to say which I think is better.

Offline emtee

« Reply #4081 on: February 11, 2021, 03:58:49 PM »
With NM singing instead of Pete, Solitude could have been magnificent.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4082 on: February 11, 2021, 04:02:10 PM »
With NM singing instead of Pete, Solitude could have been magnificent.

Agreed.  Feels like a missed opportunity with that one. 

As for Neal vs Roine, they are two of favorite songwriters of the last 25 years, so I can't choose one over the other. 

Offline 425

« Reply #4083 on: February 11, 2021, 04:18:53 PM »
As to the question of Neal versus Roine as songwriters, I've only dug a little bit into the TFK discography, and have not heard most of the albums regarded as their best ones, so I acknowledge I don't have a fair basis for comparison. But I would choose Neal pretty easily, and actually more on the basis of his solo and NMB work than on Spock's Beard. To make a statement that will likely cause all sorts of confusion when read together with my previous post, I think Neal's adoption of Christianity is at least correlated with an improvement in his songwriting. To use HOF's word, I think there's a lot more joy in his Christian music than in the early SB stuff. And I really like that joy.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4084 on: February 11, 2021, 04:30:24 PM »
I also don't have a general preference between Roine and Neal (maybe slightly for Roine but not much in it). Both have written and still write some amazing stuff, but personally I've found both fairly inconsistent over the years. And with the new album(s), I'm definitely preferring the way Neal tightened and energised The Breath of Life, despite not being particularly enamoured with his last few solo albums.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4085 on: February 11, 2021, 05:47:00 PM »
I'm not too familiar with Roine's work outside of TA, as I've only listened to a few TFK songs and The Sea Within, but Neal's work resonates much more with me. I still enjoy most of what I've heard from Roine, but Neal is truly a musical genius in every level, and while some of his stuff might be a bit repetitive, the quality is definitely still there (with a few exceptions like Agenda :P).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #4086 on: February 11, 2021, 07:16:25 PM »
Apart from Transatlantic, I don't really know anything by Roine.  I've tried listening to a song or two by The Flower Kings before but never got into it and never gave it much of a chance.  Is there a definitive album or two that I should check out?

As far as the song Solitude, I'm probably in the minority but I love Pete's vocals here.  And I prefer the Breath of Life version.  I think the beginning with just piano and no acoustic guitar sounds much better for that part.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4087 on: February 11, 2021, 07:22:06 PM »
Apart from Transatlantic, I don't really know anything by Roine.  I've tried listening to a song or two by The Flower Kings before but never got into it and never gave it much of a chance.  Is there a definitive album or two that I should check out?

Flower Kings have a lot of albums and a lot of them are really long, but I'd recommend starting with the following:

Flower Power - double album, but disc 1 is mostly the 18-track Garden of Dreams suite, which I still think is the best thing they've ever done.
Retropolis - perhaps their best single album from start to finish.  A lot of instrumental greatness on this one.
Paradox Hotel - another double album, but this one is more easily digestible thanks to there being a ton of shorter songs.  Not as overtly proggy as some of their other albums, but rather a good balance between prog and catchy, accessible tunes.

Stardust We Are and Unfold the Future are both highly regarded albums with the fanbase, but both are super long double albums, and probably not the best place for a newbie to start.

Do not start with The Rainmaker or Desolation Rose (their two least best albums).  Neither album is bad, and there are some great moments on each, but both are somewhat choppy and I'd hate for a possible new fan to be turned off right away by either and run the other way.   I would also not start with a live album. They have some good ones, but a lot of their quirky, zany moments are not done live, and to me that is a big part of the charm of the band.

Offline HOF

« Reply #4088 on: February 11, 2021, 07:53:35 PM »
Rainmaker is great and I think if you like TA you should like most of it, but I’d agree start with something like Retropolis (probably my favorite TFK album).

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4089 on: February 11, 2021, 08:04:35 PM »
I think I remember this talk happening around the release of Whirlwind that everyone thought it was Neal who contributed to the album like 90% and everyone was saying how it sounded like a NM solo album back on the MP forum. I vaguely recall MP himself giving a breakdown of all the tracks and how it was a lot less of Neal's ideas that made it to the album.

I'm like Forever a lot and it's starting to get in its groove, still have a lot more to digest. I think I prefer disc 1 over the 2nd disc for now.

I like Pete's vocals for the most part but agree that Neal singing Solitude would've been great.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4090 on: February 11, 2021, 11:17:38 PM »
For anyone interested in hearing Roine and Neal talk about the album and its lyrical content, here is an interview I saw earlier today from Sonic Perspectives, though it was published over a month ago. I figured seeing it now that many of us have heard the album for about a week and are more familiar with the songs and lyrics, reading Roine's and Neal's thoughts on the album might make more sense.

Regarding the Neal-ish-ness of Transatlantic, I think it's been pretty steady in terms of how he has written for TA since 1999 in that TA has always had Neal's sound. Heck, most of "All Of The Above" and "We All Need Some Light" were straight-up Neal demos. Bridge Across Forever did a lot more to take Neal's demos and twist and change them into a more mixed-influence sound. I've seen the "Building The Bridge" Making-Of Documentary plenty of times over the last 15 years that I feel like I know exactly where each part of that album came from Neal. Sure, most of the two major epics were pre-demoed by Neal, but Roine and Pete definitely added their own touches and parts, and their playing alone definitely sets the songs apart from anything else in Neal's discography up to that point in time, and even since then!

I will say that The Whirlwind definitely leveled the playing field as both Pete and Roine seemed to get more of their material on the album, but of the original 43-minute "Whirlwind" Demo by Neal, only about 50-60% of it made it to the final album (give or take, it's been awhile since I've listened to the demo). Other pieces of The Whirlwind, like "A Man Can Feel", "Evermore", "Pieces Of Heaven", and "Lay Down Your Life" (jam section) were by Roine. Pete also had "On The Prowl", parts of the Overture, and most of "Is It Really Happening?", so I feel like they got more and more of their ideas on that album. Here is a great interview with Roine from 2010 where he talks about the making of The Whirlwind.. A lot of the other non-demoed music was jammed in-the-room and written by the band, though if it was led by Neal's ideas, you cannot really fault them for going along with it.

As far as Kaleidoscope goes, I will say that it does feel like they took a small step back in terms of how much of Neal's music made it into the album, but it was far less a direct cover of Neal's demos. They really did a lot of chopping up of his demos, and if you didn't know it from the Making Of documentary, "Into The Blue" and "Kaleidoscope" actually originated from 3 separate epic demos over an hour in total length. In this interview with Roine, he goes a bit more in-depth into how they made the album, and some of his issues with songs being too long, or how he didn't want to put "Beyond The Sun" on the album (which is why Rich Mouser is credited as the slide guitarist and not Roine). Some very revealing stuff, like how the "Dream and Healer" reprise at the end of "Shine" was really Roine's idea! Regardless, if the band didn't think the album wouldn't be better for it, I doubt they'd let Neal's ideas dominate the sound or album. Pete says in the TAU doc that it's not about getting their ideas on the album, it's about making the album strong, and despite Kaleidoscope probably being my least favorite of the five, it's still a fairly strong and good album overall.

With The Absolute Universe, I've watched the documentary thrice now, and I get the sense that, maybe because they recorded in Sweden, that Roine really tried to steer the music in his direction a bit more or push his ideas more, which is why we get a lot more of him on Forevermore. From what I can gather, both Roine and Mike were pro-double-album, and Neal was maybe on the fence about it, but agreed to it initially. Pete definitely seemed to want to tighten the album up, but was more or less out-voted by the others to make it a double album. I guess once Neal had sent his "Am I Crazy?" email out to the others, maybe he felt like he could get Mike and Roine to change their minds since Pete was originally on board with trimming TAU down to a single disc release. I also wonder if Neal had considered that releasing a double album with Transatlantic might draw criticisms for releasing a third double album in four years (after The Similitude Of A Dream and The Great Adventure with the Neal Morse Band).

Regarding the Roine VS Neal aspects of Transatlantic, I think as each album has been made, their input has more or less levelled out, and I feel like The Absolute Universe is as close to an equal input as we may get, at least on Forevermore. Roine has said that he presented over 90 minutes of demos to the band, and it seems like they used around half of them (according to the traditional Mike's Wishlist Whiteboard). Maybe some of them were a bit TOO out there as he said he tried to write and bring demos that weren't typical Roine stuff (i.e. less like The Flower Kings), though some of those demos ended up on Islands anyway (like "Black Swan"). I think they're both amazing singers and songwriters in their own ways. I find things i love and dislike about both, but their strengths far outweigh their weaknesses, and I approach and gravitate to each of their styles for different reasons, but when they come together for Transatlantic, it really hits me in a way that both of them rarely do individually. Transatlantic is definitely greater than the sum of its parts.

Watching the documentary, you can really feel like Roine is more comfortable on his own home turf. He seems more lively and interactive with the others than in the past docs where he kind of just sits in the background and plays along, sometimes nodding along to ideas in the room. I think it was definitely a smart and interesting idea from Mike to have Neal and Roine see their visions of the album come to fruition. It's definitely a "have your cake and eat it too" situation, but I feel like the fans AND the band win on this one. I can't imagine how things would've shaken down had the label not allowed them to release both versions, and I wonder if Neal would have felt slighted if the label was like "No, just release the 90 minutes you have". I guess we may never know, but as a fan of both versions, I don't think I don't ever need to know or wonder.

As it stands, I find myself listening to Forevermore a lot more than The Breath Of Life, but I'm sure I'll swap around a bit more in the coming weeks. I just really love songs like "Rainbow Sky" and "The World We Used To Know" so much that I miss them on TBOL, but the TBOL versions of "Love Made A Way (Prelude)" and "Reaching For The Sky", which is why I've watched the Ultimate Mix BD visualizer three times since Tuesday night already. It just has the best parts of both albums, and at nearly 98 minutes, it's probably the best of both worlds.

As far as TAU sounding like a "Neal Morse album", I think at this point in his career, any album where he is a major writing force will sound like a Neal Morse album, simply by virtue of his involvement. Obviously with Flying Colors, his input is a bit lessened, so it sounds less like a NM album, but with TA and the NMB, of course it'll sound like Neal, but even after 20 years, I think they really solidified their own sound. As Mike has said in the TAU doc, the band really as their own kind of sound, and it's the unique combination of Neal's, Roine's, and Pete's writing, and all four of them playing the music together that kind of sets it apart of a typical Neal Morse album or Flower Kings album. Despite the Flowery nature of Forevermore, it still sounds very Transatlantic to me, and because I love TA just a bit more than TFK, their new music has sunk it far quicker for me than Islands did when it came out a few months ago (not that Islands was bad, it's probably the best TFK album in the last 10 years).

I really hope Neal releases his 90 minutes (according to Pete) of demos he brought to the TAU sessions, just so we can see what was used and what was dropped during the sessions because the documentary doesn't really dive into their demos as much as the last three documentaries did. In fact, it's shorter than any of them, and I kind of wish it was longer than 60-some minutes. The Whirlwind's documentary was well over 100 minutes and had some amazing moments, and I love re-watching it every so often, watching those four create a masterpiece in the studio. The new doc is pretty entertaining regardless, though I do wonder if it was originally longer and they decided to edit it down to 60 minutes?  :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #4091 on: February 12, 2021, 07:42:13 AM »

Flower Kings have a lot of albums and a lot of them are really long, but I'd recommend starting with the following:

Flower Power - double album, but disc 1 is mostly the 18-track Garden of Dreams suite, which I still think is the best thing they've ever done.
Retropolis - perhaps their best single album from start to finish.  A lot of instrumental greatness on this one.
Paradox Hotel - another double album, but this one is more easily digestible thanks to there being a ton of shorter songs.  Not as overtly proggy as some of their other albums, but rather a good balance between prog and catchy, accessible tunes.

Stardust We Are and Unfold the Future are both highly regarded albums with the fanbase, but both are super long double albums, and probably not the best place for a newbie to start.

Do not start with The Rainmaker or Desolation Rose (their two least best albums).  Neither album is bad, and there are some great moments on each, but both are somewhat choppy and I'd hate for a possible new fan to be turned off right away by either and run the other way.   I would also not start with a live album. They have some good ones, but a lot of their quirky, zany moments are not done live, and to me that is a big part of the charm of the band.

Thanks! (to HOF too who also suggested Retropolis).   I may have to consider subscribing to a music service for a month and just start checking out a bunch of their music.  Most of the older stuff is all unavailable (or very expensive even used) in physical form.  I checked out a couple songs from Retropolis and it was pretty promising, so I know I want to check out more.

Offline HOF

« Reply #4092 on: February 12, 2021, 08:00:57 AM »

Thanks! (to HOF too who also suggested Retropolis).   I may have to consider subscribing to a music service for a month and just start checking out a bunch of their music.  Most of the older stuff is all unavailable (or very expensive even used) in physical form.  I checked out a couple songs from Retropolis and it was pretty promising, so I know I want to check out more.

Yeah, it can be hard to find their CDs now. Space Revovler is another single disc effort that would be a good one to check out first.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4093 on: February 12, 2021, 08:05:06 AM »
My first 3 TFK albums were
Space Revolver
The Sum of No Evil
Stardust We Are

and I think those are the best ones to check out first, but the debut or the Roine Stolt album are also good choices. I actually don't care for Retropolis as much as others, although the title track is classic.

Yeah, it can be hard to find their CDs now. Space Revovler is another single disc effort that would be a good one to check out first.

I scooped up all their studio albums in 2011/2012 and not long after that time it became harder and more expensive to acquire TFK CDs.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4094 on: February 12, 2021, 08:08:21 AM »
The debut has one of my very favourite TFK tracks in World Of Adventures (maybe even my #1), so it's worth to check out.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.