Author Topic: The Savatage Thread  (Read 105090 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Savatage Thread
« Reply #875 on: July 06, 2022, 06:41:17 PM »
Poets and Madmen is excellent. So fitting for them to go out with Jon back on vocals. When I'm in the mood for some 'Tage I regularly reach for that album.

You know what, I'm grabbing it right now for the car today.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online faizoff

« Reply #876 on: July 06, 2022, 06:47:58 PM »
I've done an almost full re-listen to the bands albums with just Edge of Thorns and Poets and Madmen remaining. I had barely paid any attention to the first few releases up to and including Hall. All of them apart from Fight for the Rock have been excellent. I know the story behind Fight that the record company wanted a more radio friendly album and there are gems there but largely just an ok record. I have to say that debut of Sirens is really strong along with the Dungeons EP they recorded the same day. They've been great to re-discover and get a sense of progression. I think Gutter Ballet will always remain my favorite of theirs, each and every song on there never gets skipped by me.

I don't remember much of Poets and Madmen, don't remember being too crazy about it.

I didn’t care for it at first, but I revisited it several years later and fell in love with it. And Morphine Child may have surpassed The Hourglass as my all time favorite counterpoint song by them.

PAM made my top 50.  Incredible album.
Poets and Madmen is excellent. So fitting for them to go out with Jon back on vocals. When I'm in the mood for some 'Tage I regularly reach for that album.

Forgot to get back to this album, finished the rest of the discography but somehow forgot to listen to Poets and Madmen. In a huge Floyd binge listen right now so might take a break from that and listen to this instead.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #877 on: July 07, 2022, 06:51:59 AM »
I think Poets is their best album, not only having my favourite songs from theirs but also as a whole - the album is so strong.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #878 on: July 07, 2022, 09:08:50 AM »

I've never even listened to it, because I much prefer Zak as the primary vocalist.  I guess I'll have to give it a shot some day.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #879 on: July 07, 2022, 05:04:19 PM »
So, I ran through PAM yesterday, and I can certainly see why it's a top 50 album.  It's still gives me incredible feelings like it did when I first heard it.  The guitar tones and production is out of this world, and the solos from both Pitrelli and Caffery are really good here.  I actually never really took that much noticed of the lead work here but it's out of this world.

Morphine Child and Commissar are just amazing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #880 on: July 07, 2022, 06:42:47 PM »
So, I ran through PAM yesterday, and I can certainly see why it's a top 50 album.  It's still gives me incredible feelings like it did when I first heard it.  The guitar tones and production is out of this world, and the solos from both Pitrelli and Caffery are really good here.  I actually never really took that much noticed of the lead work here but it's out of this world.

Morphine Child and Commissar are just amazing.

Ya, I cannot figure out why Morphine Child didn’t hit me the first time I heard it. If we did a Savatage top 75 today, pretty sure that would be my #1 with a bullet.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #881 on: July 07, 2022, 07:42:36 PM »
No no, I didn't fully get it for the longest time either.  Massive grower.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #882 on: July 07, 2022, 10:26:10 PM »
Morphine Child is a good song and probably my favorite on the record, however I wouldn't put it above many of the Zak Stevens period's best tracks, especially "Chance."

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #883 on: July 07, 2022, 10:40:57 PM »
Morphine Child hit me right out of the gate when I first heard it. Absolutely love that track. Wow, that album is 21 years old. Holy crap.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #884 on: July 07, 2022, 10:45:34 PM »
I still remember buying the CD from the store.  It was kind of an interesting, unique sound for me upon hearing it, much different from everything else they've done.  Jon's vocals on this actually took some time to grow also but something kept drawing me back to it.  I then re-purchased it later with hardcover box.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #885 on: July 08, 2022, 08:19:54 AM »
The only track I remember from Poets is the bonus track “Shotgun Innocence” with Criss and Zak. Maybe I’ll have to go back for a listen as well.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online faizoff

« Reply #886 on: July 08, 2022, 06:57:17 PM »
So I listened to Poets And Madmen today and it is a fucking outstanding album. I actually had never heard it before, I have no clue why I thought it was just an ok album or even that I listened to it before. Commissar, Morphine Child and Man in the Mirror are instantly memorable. Agree with wolf that the production is fantastic, it's like discovering a long-lost album of a band. Can't wait to spin it again and again. The solos also are terrific here, even though Pitrelli's only on a few tracks, his playing is great. It's a great album to end on assuming there isn't any new stuff coming out.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #887 on: July 08, 2022, 07:49:45 PM »
I really need to go back and listen to this. Been at least a decade.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #888 on: July 08, 2022, 07:52:56 PM »
So I listened to Poets And Madmen today and it is a fucking outstanding album. I actually had never heard it before, I have no clue why I thought it was just an ok album or even that I listened to it before. Commissar, Morphine Child and Man in the Mirror are instantly memorable. Agree with wolf that the production is fantastic, it's like discovering a long-lost album of a band. Can't wait to spin it again and again. The solos also are terrific here, even though Pitrelli's only on a few tracks, his playing is great. It's a great album to end on assuming there isn't any new stuff coming out.

Caffery is no slouch though.  It always kind of annoyed me that on DWD and Magellan all leads (bar a couple of exceptions) were Pitrelli.  I know I think they did this as live Caffery handles Criss' stuff so there is a bit of a split, but I always found it odd.  I have a better ear these days but maybe I need to go back and listen through, maybe I'm wrong.

I loved the split on PAM though.  Caffery rips on songs like Drive and I Seek Power so I like the split.  Glad you enjoyed it.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #889 on: July 08, 2022, 08:11:00 PM »
I really need to go back and listen to this. Been at least a decade.

Yeah, me too. I remember liking it, not loving it…time to revisit!

Online faizoff

« Reply #890 on: July 08, 2022, 08:29:52 PM »

Caffery is no slouch though.  It always kind of annoyed me that on DWD and Magellan all leads (bar a couple of exceptions) were Pitrelli.  I know I think they did this as live Caffery handles Criss' stuff so there is a bit of a split, but I always found it odd.  I have a better ear these days but maybe I need to go back and listen through, maybe I'm wrong.

I loved the split on PAM though.  Caffery rips on songs like Drive and I Seek Power so I like the split.  Glad you enjoyed it.

That's right Caffery is no slouch, in fact I think the majority of the solos are his as I read that Al was on his way to join Megadeth at that point. On next listen I'm going to pay attention to the solos a lot more.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #891 on: July 08, 2022, 09:33:55 PM »
Pitrelli played on Commissar, Morphine Child, Stay With Me and the Rumor.

Offline Qrusher14242

« Reply #892 on: July 08, 2022, 09:38:04 PM »
PAM is just so good. That guitar work in Commissar is just..... :metal :metal :metal

Was so good to hear Jon on vocals again and great final (hopefully not) album. Although there's not many 'bad' savatage albums (except maybe FFTR, but i still like a lot from it).

Offline Deathless

« Reply #893 on: July 11, 2022, 06:55:12 AM »
I had never listened to PAM (it wasn't on Spotify for a long time?) and now that it is checked it out this weekend. It's really good! I still can't stop playing Morphine Child.

I wish this band would play more shows so I could catch one live. The Wacken reunion thing was cool but I could do without TSO as we see them every year anyways.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #894 on: July 27, 2022, 02:52:10 PM »

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #895 on: January 02, 2023, 04:11:28 PM »
I enjoyed this (year old) interview with Johnny Lee Middleton .............if you haven't seen it there's plenty about Savatage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgo-EftedRs
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #896 on: January 03, 2023, 03:35:55 AM »
Every time someone bumps this thread I think two things - new album or someone died.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #897 on: January 03, 2023, 05:12:21 AM »
I think of tabs made by the guy with the porcupine avatar or whatever the animal is
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: April 08, 2023, 08:12:31 PM »
Most have been tricked by an update in this thread for years.  When the band gives me a release date, artwork and the first single, then I will know there is new Savatage music lol.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #900 on: April 08, 2023, 08:14:21 PM »
Most have been tricked by an update in this thread for years.  When the band gives me a release date, artwork and the first single, then I will know there is new Savatage music lol.

Right? What kind of update is "Be patient"?  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #901 on: April 08, 2023, 08:17:08 PM »

just sit around and stare into space for over two decades.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #903 on: April 09, 2023, 04:46:19 AM »

just sit around and stare into space for over two decades.

Well, I've ticked that box.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #904 on: April 09, 2023, 06:12:19 PM »
Some Savatage news

https://blabbermouth.net/news/zak-stevens-hints-at-new-savatage-music-says-fans-should-keep-being-patient

Where's the news?

LOL

Well they have been writing, recording, and sorting some label stuff. I think that's the most news we have received on Savatage in ages. And the fact that Zak is saying this means he is involved unlike Poets and Madmen.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #905 on: April 10, 2023, 02:18:40 AM »
I just hope they don't all die and we get some rough demo tapes for the labels to make money off of them. At this point, they and Crimson Glory are competing who will edge their fans the longest lol. And I love Zack and hope he's involved but I'd like the last Savatage record to have extensive singing by Oliva.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #906 on: April 10, 2023, 03:58:30 AM »
Some Savatage news

https://blabbermouth.net/news/zak-stevens-hints-at-new-savatage-music-says-fans-should-keep-being-patient

Where's the news?

LOL

Well they have been writing, recording, and sorting some label stuff. I think that's the most news we have received on Savatage in ages. And the fact that Zak is saying this means he is involved unlike Poets and Madmen.

Haha, thanks.  I was being sarcastic though.  :D

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #907 on: April 10, 2023, 06:56:16 AM »
I just hope they don't all die and we get some rough demo tapes for the labels to make money off of them. At this point, they and Crimson Glory are competing who will edge their fans the longest lol. And I love Zack and hope he's involved but I'd like the last Savatage record to have extensive singing by Oliva.

Crimson Glory pretty much imploded.  Todd left and then Jon Drenning was arrested for some drug issues.  I don't think I've heard a peep out of that band for 10 years, unlike Savatage, who keep talking about new music, but don't produce anything substantial.

What I don't get is that with Paul O'Neill gone, there shouldn't be too many obstacles for Savatage, unless his estate holds some sort of rights to the name.  He died nearly 10 years ago and TSO and Savatage have yet to even put out any material. 

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #908 on: April 10, 2023, 07:16:11 AM »
Some Savatage news

Where's the news?

LOL

Haha, thanks.  I was being sarcastic though.  :D

You forgot the green font:lol

Offline Deathless

« Reply #909 on: April 10, 2023, 07:24:48 AM »
It has to be legalities with Paul's estate, and also Jon Oliva got into some really bad trouble with the law (was it last year?) so hopefully he's in a good space mentally and with his health. The last picture I saw he had lost a ton of weight. I think they can still crank out some decent tunes between Jon, Chris, Zak, and maybe Al P? I know he's with TSO and sure he's still part of the family.