Author Topic: The Savatage Thread  (Read 102793 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Savatage Thread
« Reply #840 on: May 13, 2022, 04:28:20 PM »
That was familiar but a kick ass and welcome piece of music.  I'd happily take another album like this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online faizoff

« Reply #841 on: May 18, 2022, 01:21:43 PM »
I'm not too familiar with the pre-Gutter Ballet material but this thread bumped inspired me to listen to Hall of the Mountain King and it is so kickass. Going to check the previous albums out.

Also have to say that tribute live album 'Ghost in the Ruins' with old tracks played by Criss are seriously kick ass. One thing I do have to say is I absolutely love the guitar riff tones from that Savatage period of Hall to Streets. It's so uniquely Savatage, you know it's them when you hear it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #842 on: May 18, 2022, 01:46:09 PM »
I'm not too familiar with the pre-Gutter Ballet material but this thread bumped inspired me to listen to Hall of the Mountain King and it is so kickass. Going to check the previous albums out.

Also have to say that tribute live album 'Ghost in the Ruins' with old tracks played by Criss are seriously kick ass. One thing I do have to say is I absolutely love the guitar riff tones from that Savatage period of Hall to Streets. It's so uniquely Savatage, you know it's them when you hear it.

Hall of the Mountain King is so  :metal :metal :metal

And I love that live album with Criss Oliva as well. 

Online nick_z

« Reply #843 on: May 18, 2022, 02:22:44 PM »

Love that live album. Criss Oliva was such a fantastic player. Agreed on the tone - although I actually think, purely in terms of guitar work, the Edge of Thorns album was his absolute peak.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #844 on: May 18, 2022, 03:46:27 PM »

Love that live album. Criss Oliva was such a fantastic player. Agreed on the tone - although I actually think, purely in terms of guitar work, the Edge of Thorns album was his absolute peak.

I'll agree with this.  That has some of the most monumental lead playing ever in my opinion.  The solos of the title track, He Carves His Stone, Degrees of Sanity, Miles Away and Follow Me are just out of this world.

It's funny, learning to play the guitar, Criss was one of my biggest influences and it's funny that his two main influences which is so apparent now listening to him I never really got into as guitarists until just lately.  Criss was a perfect mix of Michael Schenker and Eddie Van Halen.  So I guess Criss was my Michael Schenker or Eddie for others.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #845 on: May 19, 2022, 03:19:41 AM »

Criss was a riff making machine. I may be partial because I knew him in the Florida scene before Savatage took off, but he's easily in my top 10 of all time.

"Edge of Thorns" album his peak? Hmmm. I might have to think that one over, but I certainly can't say I'd disagree right now. His guitar work in "Follow Me" is just so fucking emotive.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #846 on: May 19, 2022, 05:56:22 AM »
You knew him?  Jesus, I class you a celebrity

Online faizoff

« Reply #847 on: May 19, 2022, 06:07:22 AM »

I'll agree with this.  That has some of the most monumental lead playing ever in my opinion.  The solos of the title track, He Carves His Stone, Degrees of Sanity, Miles Away and Follow Me are just out of this world.

Edge of Thorns was my first 'new' Savatage album after I discovered them with Gutter Ballet, (hadn't heard Streets at the time) and I had no idea that Jon had taken a step back from vocal duties, it was hard to get band news at the time so I was surprised to hear Zack's vocals. The whole album was a pleasant surprise with Criss' playing as the highlight.

That album has some absolutely amazing solos from Criss and those you mentioned indeed are truly out of this world. The production of that album is definitely my favorite of the band across the discography. The following Zack albums are excellent and been listening to them too. 
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #848 on: May 19, 2022, 07:40:29 PM »

I used to see him at their local club gigs, and talked to him quite a bit. I was in the Florida music scene just as "Hall of the Mountain King" was released. He was reserved and humble. Wasn't one to buy his own hype at all.

Even to this day, when October 17th rolls around, I see tribute posts about him from friends on Facebook. The Florida metal scene is still reeling after all these years.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #849 on: May 19, 2022, 07:43:35 PM »

I used to see him at their local club gigs, and talked to him quite a bit. I was in the Florida music scene just as "Hall of the Mountain King" was released. He was reserved and humble. Wasn't one to buy his own hype at all.

Even to this day, when October 17th rolls around, I see tribute posts about him from friends on Facebook. The Florida metal scene is still reeling after all these years.

With good reason, one of the biggest losses in music history in my book.  He also seemed like the quiet humble type.  What a player.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #850 on: May 20, 2022, 01:41:30 AM »
Was late to the Savatage game at least by old-school standards and Edge Of Thorns was my first and remains my personal pick of the bunch for all the reasons pointed out already above. 

Was one of those records bought on a whim based purely on the cover art and the fact I was young enough to have disposable income.  Never once regretted that choice and then remember reading the terribly sad news of Chris' tragic passing not long after  :-[

If you ask me the title-track Edge Of Thorns has to be one of the best anthemic openers of any album  :metal

Online nick_z

« Reply #851 on: May 20, 2022, 09:10:49 AM »

It's funny, learning to play the guitar, Criss was one of my biggest influences and it's funny that his two main influences which is so apparent now listening to him I never really got into as guitarists until just lately.  Criss was a perfect mix of Michael Schenker and Eddie Van Halen.  So I guess Criss was my Michael Schenker or Eddie for others.

Yep, I think this nails it. He took these influences, made them his, and sprinkled the whole thing with a healthy dose of metal  :)

If you ask me the title-track Edge Of Thorns has to be one of the best anthemic openers of any album  :metal

So, so good. That piano intro and then the guitar coming in...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #852 on: May 20, 2022, 02:59:24 PM »
He just had that sparkle in his playing that I hear in both Schenker and Eddie.  He used the Dorian mode a lot which Schenker did also.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: May 20, 2022, 05:00:46 PM »
You know what, silly me I realised I'm missing probably the most important player having a listen through some random Tage tracks, Randy.  Perfect combo of Randy, Eddie and Schenker.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #854 on: May 20, 2022, 05:08:23 PM »
Kade, give me ONE Chris Oliva Savatage album to listen to. I assume he's the lone guitarist as well?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #855 on: May 20, 2022, 05:10:22 PM »
Kade, give me ONE Chris Oliva Savatage album to listen to. I assume he's the lone guitarist as well?

I know you hate his brother, so that would leave Edge of Thorns which has Zak Stevens.  Highlights are He Carves His Stone, Follow Me, title track.

Although, for a kick, check the instrumental Temptation Revelation from Gutter Ballet, tell me who he's thinking about when he wrote and recorded that.

I reckon though if you can stand Jon, you MAY get a kick out of the Heavier Hall of the Mountain King.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #856 on: May 20, 2022, 05:13:45 PM »
Ok, even if I give hall a run through, I'll be concentrating in the guitar. I saw them on that tour. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #857 on: May 20, 2022, 05:18:02 PM »
Ok, even if I give hall a run through, I'll be concentrating in the guitar. I saw them on that tour. ;D

It's got more balls than Edge of Thorns, but has Jon Oliva.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #858 on: May 20, 2022, 05:19:13 PM »
Halls highlights are the title track, Beyond the Doors of the Dark, 24 Hours Ago and Strange Wings (Ray Gillan backing vocals!)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #859 on: May 20, 2022, 05:20:25 PM »
Although, for a kick, check the instrumental Temptation Revelation from Gutter Ballet, tell me who he's thinking about when he wrote and recorded that.

Oh wow! Totally.

Check out Andy's solo at 1:30 on Is Anybody There? Even the opening riff too.

I'll try and get through some Savatage. I've heard them all, but I want to focus on Chris.

Speaking of guitarists that died way too young, I was listening to Raising Fear this morning. Dave Prichard was awesome..

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #860 on: May 20, 2022, 05:23:25 PM »

Oh wow! Totally.

Check out Andy's solo at 1:30 on Is Anybody There? Even the opening riff too.

I'll try and get through some Savatage. I've heard them all, but I want to focus on Chris.

Speaking of guitarists that died way too young, I was listening to Raising Fear this morning. Dave Prichard was awesome..

Huh?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #861 on: May 20, 2022, 05:28:02 PM »
Andy Laroque-King Diamond-Give Me Your Soul...Please-Is The Anybody There?.
I know, random reference but a total Schenker moment.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #862 on: May 20, 2022, 05:37:06 PM »
LaRocque did come to mind, but the song name didn't ring a bell.  great album but always listened without really knowing the tracks.  I'll grab the CD now.

Actually, check out the last song, don't know the name but I softer slower song, Andy's solo on that is fabulous, and also has some Schenkerisms. Underrated solo from him IMO.

EDIT:  Moving On at 1:40.  Fuck that's a good simple, effective solo.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #863 on: May 20, 2022, 05:39:52 PM »
Ha, haven't listened to this one in ages.  lol, Is Anybody There? is a rip off of Eastman's Curse haha.

Wow, he even has Scheker's tone on this little solo.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #864 on: May 20, 2022, 05:58:25 PM »
I love GMYS...P. That and The Puppet Master are my two fave KD albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #865 on: May 20, 2022, 06:01:20 PM »
I love GMYS...P. That and The Puppet Master are my two fave KD albums.

Yeah, Puppet Master is fantastic.  I was always partial to Abigail II also.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #866 on: May 21, 2022, 06:14:16 PM »
This has been a great thread of late, back listening to Hall and Gutter, Thorns too...

Just sayin' :metal

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #867 on: May 21, 2022, 08:15:30 PM »

And how great are "Silk and Steel" and "Temptation Revelation"?

I've often wondered what a Criss Oliva all-instrumental (comparable to Vai and Satriani)  album would have been like.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #868 on: May 21, 2022, 08:36:27 PM »
I’m sure I’ve posted this in this thread somewhere, but Criss’ solo in “Ghost in the Ruins” is one of my all time favorites.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online faizoff

« Reply #869 on: May 21, 2022, 08:49:56 PM »
I've done an almost full re-listen to the bands albums with just Edge of Thorns and Poets and Madmen remaining. I had barely paid any attention to the first few releases up to and including Hall. All of them apart from Fight for the Rock have been excellent. I know the story behind Fight that the record company wanted a more radio friendly album and there are gems there but largely just an ok record. I have to say that debut of Sirens is really strong along with the Dungeons EP they recorded the same day. They've been great to re-discover and get a sense of progression. I think Gutter Ballet will always remain my favorite of theirs, each and every song on there never gets skipped by me.

I don't remember much of Poets and Madmen, don't remember being too crazy about it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #870 on: May 21, 2022, 09:14:45 PM »
I don't give Sirens and Dungeons enough attention.  Fight For the Rock isn't THAT bad, but yeah it's not great.

I’m sure I’ve posted this in this thread somewhere, but Criss’ solo in “Ghost in the Ruins” is one of my all time favorites.

Amazing buildup, such a wonderful well crafted solo.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #871 on: July 06, 2022, 01:35:46 PM »
Not necessarily Savatage but Chris C mentioned a month or so ago that he was writing songs with and for Jon. It turns out they are doing another Doctor Butcher record instead (bummer). They mentioned a mystery drummer they are lining up to record with. Still hoping for new Savatage.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #872 on: July 06, 2022, 01:44:53 PM »
I've done an almost full re-listen to the bands albums with just Edge of Thorns and Poets and Madmen remaining. I had barely paid any attention to the first few releases up to and including Hall. All of them apart from Fight for the Rock have been excellent. I know the story behind Fight that the record company wanted a more radio friendly album and there are gems there but largely just an ok record. I have to say that debut of Sirens is really strong along with the Dungeons EP they recorded the same day. They've been great to re-discover and get a sense of progression. I think Gutter Ballet will always remain my favorite of theirs, each and every song on there never gets skipped by me.

I don't remember much of Poets and Madmen, don't remember being too crazy about it.

I didn’t care for it at first, but I revisited it several years later and fell in love with it. And Morphine Child may have surpassed The Hourglass as my all time favorite counterpoint song by them.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #873 on: July 06, 2022, 04:44:27 PM »

I didn’t care for it at first, but I revisited it several years later and fell in love with it. And Morphine Child may have surpassed The Hourglass as my all time favorite counterpoint song by them.

PAM made my top 50.  Incredible album.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #874 on: July 06, 2022, 06:39:00 PM »
Poets and Madmen is excellent. So fitting for them to go out with Jon back on vocals. When I'm in the mood for some 'Tage I regularly reach for that album.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history