Author Topic: The Savatage Thread  (Read 102725 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: The Savatage Thread
« Reply #910 on: April 11, 2023, 06:00:55 PM »
This flew right by me, there's a new Archon Angel that just got released. Always interested in stuff with Zak. Need to check this out.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #911 on: April 11, 2023, 06:02:18 PM »
This flew right by me, there's a new Archon Angel that just got released. Always interested in stuff with Zak. Need to check this out.

The first one was pretty decent, should check it out too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #912 on: April 12, 2023, 07:45:17 AM »
Is the new AA album out? I checked Spotify and only saw two singles. I think I prefer Fortress over Afterburn. Need to listen to the first album though, I love Zak's voice and singing.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #913 on: April 12, 2023, 07:52:18 AM »
I guess Friday is release day. I found it at Laser CD as they already have it in stock and shipping.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #914 on: April 12, 2023, 09:38:00 AM »
What I don't get is that with Paul O'Neill gone, there shouldn't be too many obstacles for Savatage, unless his estate holds some sort of rights to the name.  He died nearly 10 years ago and TSO and Savatage have yet to even put out any material.

Wasn't TSO the biggest obstacle, being a year long commitment?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline WardySI

« Reply #915 on: April 12, 2023, 08:08:34 PM »
Is the new AA album out? I checked Spotify and only saw two singles. I think I prefer Fortress over Afterburn. Need to listen to the first album though, I love Zak's voice and singing.

This Friday

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #916 on: April 14, 2023, 09:45:48 AM »
Checked out a couple of samples of the Archon release and it was enough for me to pull the trigger. My Amazon order is shipping now. I was going to order from Laser CD or Frontiers US shop but they were already sold out of their stock. Amazon is awful with Frontiers releases but this one worked out, plus it came with Auto-rip so I can listen now if I want.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #917 on: April 14, 2023, 08:24:09 PM »
Good on you!

I spent all of yesterday with II in the ears and couldn't wait to repeat it all again today.  Far exceeds my expectations, heaps of Zavatage and CIIC throwins and a huge step up from their debut really hard to choose a favourite it changes with each listen.

I worry with a lack of reviews out there though this one won't get the push it deserves which would be unfortunate.

Can't wait to have a hardcopy in hand \m/

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #918 on: April 14, 2023, 09:34:59 PM »

I worry with a lack of reviews out there though this one won't get the push it deserves which would be unfortunate.

Tell me about it. The fact that it completely flew over this site is shocking. If it wasn't for the like 1 day Laser CD had it in stock I probably still wouldn't know of it. Those samples sounded really good. My CD is shipped so hoping to have it on Monday.

I even checked this place's release date sticky and it wasn't there. Guess Frontiers couldn't be bothered to support it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #919 on: April 15, 2023, 04:34:23 AM »
I'll get onto it then, good to hear.

Offline fivestring

• I like cheese
« Reply #920 on: April 20, 2023, 03:16:21 PM »
ACTUAL UPDATE on SAVATAGE STUFF!

Right from Jon Oliva - new album by next April. Tentatively called "Curtain Call"

https://bravewords.com/news/jon-oliva-reveals-new-savatage-album-working-title-lineup-and-more-this-will-probably-be-the-last-record-we-ever-make-ever-video

Seems everyone will be involved.

Fingers crossed?
Quote from: Ben_Jamin
it's a great way to showcase the drum sound by introducing the album with that awesome drumming and sound.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #921 on: April 20, 2023, 03:27:04 PM »
"I'll Believe It When I Hold It In My Hands"

although it does seem more real than the other news items of the last few years.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #922 on: April 20, 2023, 05:23:59 PM »
Got excited reading that.  Almost made me shed a tear with Jon talking about the whole last record and goodbye to the fans and whatnot.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #923 on: April 20, 2023, 09:25:21 PM »
Got excited reading that.  Almost made me shed a tear with Jon talking about the whole last record and goodbye to the fans and whatnot.

:tup

Offline faizoff

« Reply #924 on: April 20, 2023, 09:29:54 PM »
ACTUAL UPDATE on SAVATAGE STUFF!

Right from Jon Oliva - new album by next April. Tentatively called "Curtain Call"

https://bravewords.com/news/jon-oliva-reveals-new-savatage-album-working-title-lineup-and-more-this-will-probably-be-the-last-record-we-ever-make-ever-video

Seems everyone will be involved.

Fingers crossed?

That is a very sizeable and concrete update. Getting Doc to drum on a song or two is cool. Very curious about that last song with only Jon and piano. Having 40-50 songs to trim down into an album sounds like a good problem to have.

That was a good read, probably going to go on a Savatage binge now.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #925 on: April 21, 2023, 02:07:09 AM »
Great news for us fans, but hopefully some is lost in the text but he doesn't sound like he's in a good place, overall.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #926 on: April 21, 2023, 02:56:08 AM »
Great news for us fans, but hopefully some is lost in the text but he doesn't sound like he's in a good place, overall.

I had a listen to the audio and yeah...............he sounded rather volatile/depressed.  Reminded me of listening to an Eddie VH interview when he was off the wagon.

I didn't realise he lost his stepson to an overdose recently in addition to his brother (and later his wife), his missus , Paul O'Neill etc....etc.........sounds like it's all catching up with him at the moment  :-\
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline WardySI

« Reply #927 on: April 21, 2023, 03:14:19 AM »
Yeah must be so hard :-[

Thanks for the update

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #928 on: April 21, 2023, 06:16:58 AM »

I had a listen to the audio and yeah...............he sounded rather volatile/depressed.  Reminded me of listening to an Eddie VH interview when he was off the wagon.

I didn't realise he lost his stepson to an overdose recently in addition to his brother (and later his wife), his missus , Paul O'Neill etc....etc.........sounds like it's all catching up with him at the moment  :-\

Jesus, his wife died too?  I didn't know that.  Or you meant Criss' wife?

Don't forget his guitarist in JOP Matt LaPorte.  He also passed about 10 years ago.

I'll try and get some time to listen to the audio.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #929 on: April 21, 2023, 06:47:33 AM »
His wife too it seems.................although I've never seen mention of his wife's name or any pics in public with Jon.   Rather unusual but perhaps he went to great pains to keep her out of the spotlight.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #930 on: April 21, 2023, 07:14:34 AM »
I'm looking forward to a new album - his description of the final song (Curtain Call) is almost enough to bring tears to my eyes, let alone hearing him sing it. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #931 on: April 21, 2023, 03:18:16 PM »
His wife too it seems.................although I've never seen mention of his wife's name or any pics in public with Jon.   Rather unusual but perhaps he went to great pains to keep her out of the spotlight.

Far out.  How the hell does he keep marching on?

Maybe the thought on finally closing the door on Savatage is just another dying love for him.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #932 on: April 21, 2023, 03:33:29 PM »
Sounds like Jon  is in a creative place and wants to see Savatage go out with the best music he can do. I found it interesting that he said he has so much material, but hasn't decided quite yet if this is the last, or if another will come later. I think it likely will depend on how the new album and tour is received. The festival circuit is going to get a lot of the love. Hope a regular tour is possible.

Jon has been through a lot in his life in regard to personal tragedy. We all go through a lot. But man, that poor guy. I could understand him feeling like it's time to do this the right way, instead of keep waiting.

Looking forward to the new music and live performances. Really glad he and Zak will be singing together and separately throughout the new album. Love that dynamic.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #933 on: September 19, 2023, 01:03:42 PM »
Well they were working on the new Savatage album........until Jon broke his spine. Sounds like they plan on starting things back up beginning of next year. Hope his recovery goes well.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/savatages-jon-oliva-fractures-spine-i-slipped-on-a-wet-marble-floor-he-says
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #934 on: September 19, 2023, 02:00:48 PM »
yikes.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #935 on: September 19, 2023, 02:06:16 PM »
Jesus, luck certainly isn't on his side.  Hope he recovers quickly.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #936 on: September 19, 2023, 02:58:29 PM »
Super stoked for 1, maybe 2 records with both Jon and Zach.

I found this comment prophetic, almost:

"This is gonna be the best album I ever made," Oliva promised. "Unless I kill myself."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #937 on: September 19, 2023, 03:18:15 PM »
This band can't never, ever, NEVER EVER EVER catch a break, can't they?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #938 on: October 17, 2023, 12:30:12 PM »
Let's remember today one of the most talented and most unlucky guitarists in the entire scene, the never forgotten Criss Oliva.

Unreal - he died 30 years ago at 30. He's been dead for as long as he's been alive. The music he created remains and will continue to entertain and touch people for many years to come.

:heart

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #939 on: October 17, 2023, 12:46:40 PM »
RIP Criss.

Alone You Breathe....

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #940 on: October 17, 2023, 01:17:13 PM »
Such a tragic loss.  What could have been.  RIP.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #941 on: October 17, 2023, 03:03:19 PM »
Tragic loss indeed…

Truly crazy to think it was 30 years ago. I still remember reading about it in a magazine…pre-internet era…