Author Topic: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (#01 Up!)  (Read 65604 times)

Offline WardySI

Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (100-98 Up!)
« Reply #560 on: January 05, 2024, 11:55:46 PM »
Of these I only ranked Wither #38

A rather beautiful song!

Offline Animal

« Reply #561 on: January 06, 2024, 03:03:21 AM »
Never Enough - NR

I liked this one back in the day. I didn't know Muse but everyone was talking about how Never Enough was a Muse rip-off so I checked them out. Long story short, now I have Never Enough to thank for making me a Muse fan but I can't appreciate this song any more - it just feels fake.

Wither - NR

DT ballads are a mixed bag. This one is not as bad as The Answer Lies Within but still feels rather generic - a ballad by numbers.

The Gift of Music - 71

When I first heard TAC say that TGOM was the everything DT was about distilled into 4 minutes, I thought he was either being sarcastic or in a dire need of a therapist. But now I kind of feel that way too. I gave TA a lot of spins for this countdown and became a big fan of this album.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #562 on: January 06, 2024, 03:12:04 AM »
OK, so this thing has really started, and the hot takes are there right from the get go! I think I need to buckle up and prepare myself for a lot of my favourite songs to be ranked real low (or not at all!).

My ranking so far

13. Wither
20. Never Enough
140. The Gift of Music

Let's get into it.

Wither, I knew, never had a chance of landing in the top 50, but it shocks me it's this low. I know a lot of people give it a lukewarm response, and are not fans of the theme of the song. What saves it for me is the guitar solo. I really love it and it really elevates the whole thing for me. I think the other big factor is that a big fan of that era of the band, and the run from Octavarium to Black Clouds.

Never Enough was also pretty high for me. I really love Octavarium and all of the songs from the album landed in my top 40. I definitely rank the album as a whole pretty consistent and I didn't see any of the songs as particularly weak.

The Gift of Music was left off my list and I find it wild that it's collectively ranked above the other two. I think shocked pikach face is going to standard for me with this countdown!

Bring on the next three.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #563 on: January 06, 2024, 03:16:17 AM »
OK, so this thing has really started, and the hot takes are there right from the get go! I think I need to buckle up and prepare myself for a lot of my favourite songs to be ranked real low (or not at all!).

My ranking so far

13. Wither
20. Never Enough
140. The Gift of Music

Let's get into it.

Wither, I knew, never had a chance of landing in the top 50, but it shocks me it's this low. I know a lot of people give it a lukewarm response, and are not fans of the theme of the song. What saves it for me is the guitar solo. I really love it and it really elevates the whole thing for me. I think the other big factor is that a big fan of that era of the band, and the run from Octavarium to Black Clouds.

Never Enough was also pretty high for me. I really love Octavarium and all of the songs from the album landed in my top 40. I definitely rank the album as a whole pretty consistent and I didn't see any of the songs as particularly weak.

The Gift of Music was left off my list and I find it wild that it's collectively ranked above the other two. I think shocked pikach face is going to standard for me with this countdown!

Bring on the next three.

Is Wither your favourite DT ballad? #13 seems crazy high for me but I've got a few similar picks on my list. :)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: January 06, 2024, 04:20:45 AM »
Luke putting Wither so high on his list are the kind of hot takes I'm looking forward to most from this countdown.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #565 on: January 06, 2024, 04:30:15 AM »

Conversely, for the songs that made your list, I also suspect expect A) you to be the one to have the highest rank for several most of the songs from 50-100, and B) you will have a the most NR's.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

« Reply #566 on: January 06, 2024, 05:30:10 AM »
I had Never Enough on 62 and TGOM on 75, Wither not ranked.
I expected TGOM to be a bit higher on the list, it's my highest ranked TA-track (of 6).

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: January 06, 2024, 06:09:01 AM »
100. Never Enough - Not ranked. I don't hate it.

99. Wither - I had this at 81. Good song, good guitar solo, decent lyrics. 10 years ago I would have ranked it higher.

98. The Gift Of Music - 64. A well crafted kickoff to The Astonishing...an album I just don’t have time for anymore.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 09:35:49 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: January 06, 2024, 06:41:33 AM »
 :icy:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #569 on: January 06, 2024, 06:50:20 AM »
Interesting pg1067, curious to see what the songs turn out to be. My top 10 's filled with:

- Images & Words: 1
- Awake: 1
- Six Degrees: 1
- Octavarium: 1
- Systematic Chaos: 2
- Black Clouds: 1
- Dream Theater: 1
- A View from the Top: 1

- non album: 1
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #570 on: January 06, 2024, 08:12:24 AM »

Conversely, for the songs that made your list, I also suspect expect A) you to be the one to have the highest rank for several most of the songs from 50-100, and B) you will have a the most NR's.   :lol
I think Stadler would like a word.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #571 on: January 06, 2024, 08:29:18 AM »

I'll put my chips on Luke.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline mariner

« Reply #572 on: January 06, 2024, 08:53:53 AM »
The Gift of Music was 57.  One of my favorites from The Astonishing.

Never Enough was 67.  One of my lowest-ranked from a top 3 album for me.

Wither was NR.  I like it... just not enough to get it into the top 100.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #573 on: January 06, 2024, 08:55:07 AM »

My ranking so far

13. Wither
20. Never Enough
140. The Gift of Music

Let's get into it.

Bring on the next three.

Is Wither your favourite DT ballad? #13 seems crazy high for me but I've got a few similar picks on my list. :)

It's actually not my highest ranking ballad, there are two above it.

Luke putting Wither so high on his list are the kind of hot takes I'm looking forward to most from this countdown.

It's what we're all here for. I'm just shocked by how wrong you all are!

Right?! Wait, am I Stadler now? This is an unexpected turn.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #574 on: January 06, 2024, 08:58:43 AM »
Never Enough. 100. Not ranked. I have never enjoyed this song. A rarity for DT.

Wither. 99. Not ranked. It's a nice song, but I like other DT songs more. Ballads are not my go-to's typically.

The Gift of Music. 98. I have 10 TA songs in my top 100, but this one didnt make it. It gets better as it goes, and is important in setting the story. I like it better when I watch the video. James looks cool. :biggrin:

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (97-95 Up!)
« Reply #575 on: January 06, 2024, 10:35:54 AM »
#97-95 brought to you today by my hangover :lol. Just a heads up the user list of people submitted is no longer sorted by point total, it's a bit too much work to organize it that way, sorry Jingle!

97. Vacant
Highest Finish: 15 (Evermind)
Number of Lists appeared on: 36 (Adami, Animal, bosk1, CanuckChum, Cool Chris, Dave_Manchester, Dittomist, energythief, Evermind, hefdaddy42, Indiscipline, Jamesman42, jammindude, jeff_kinsley, JiM-Xtreme, jonny108, JPZealot, KevShmev, Lethean, lightningbolt, MirrorMask, MoraWintersoul, MustActFastToCoverUp, nobloodyname, NoFred, OpenYourEyes311, pg1067, PixelDream, Podaar, ReaPsTA, Revenge319, romdrums, The Realm, Vmadera00, wolfking, Zydar)

Just missed my list but I really loved this song on ToT. It fit the tone of the album perfectly.

96. Afterlife
Highest Finish: 20 (OpenYourEyes311)
Number of Lists appeared on: 41 (Adami, Animal, Awaken, axeman90210, Ben_Jamin, CharlesPL, Cool Chris, Dave_Manchester, Dream Team, Evermind, Fonzie, Jamesman42, jammindude, JiM-Xtreme, jingle.boy, JPZealot, KevShmev, King Puppies and the Acid Guppies, lucasembarbosa, mariner, Metro, Mladen, MoraWintersoul, Mosh, MustActFastToCoverUp, nobloodyname, OpenYourEyes311, Peter Mc, pg1067, PixelDream, porcacultor, ReaperKK, ReaPsTA, TAC, The Realm, Trav86, Vmadera00, WardySI, Wim Kruithof, wolfking, Zydar)

Afterlife really grew on me over the years, enough so that it made my list.

95. Forsaken
Highest Finish: 21 (energythief)
Number of Lists appeared on: 42 (Animal, Awaken, bosk1, CanuckChum, Cool Chris, Dave_Manchester, Dittomist, DTwwbwMP, energythief, Evermind, Fonzie, geeeemo, Jamesman42, jeff_kinsley, jonny108, JPZealot, King Puppies and the Acid Guppies, lightningbolt, mariner, MirrorMask, Mladen, MoraWintersoul, MustActFastToCoverUp, OpenYourEyes311, Peter Mc, pg1067, PixelDream, Podaar, ReaperKK, ReaPsTA, Setlist Scotty, Stadler, SwedishGoose, TAC, The Realm, Trav86, twosuitsluke, WardySI, weirdo, Wim Kruithof, wolfking, Zydar)

Personally this song ranked 25 for me. I'm kind of shocked it placed so low. It's a killer track, great riff and is a perfect example of DT doing nice, short, songs.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #576 on: January 06, 2024, 10:41:08 AM »
100. Never Enough (17th) I don't get how this is at 100. This song has many cool parts, especially the instrumental break.
99. Wither (66th) Solid song, when it hits, it's great but it doesn't always warrant a listen.
98. The Gift Of Music (92nd) It's alright. Past entry 82 on my list is stuff that just had to be ranked.
97. Vacant (70th) This song is so awesome on its own and how it leads into SoC
96. Afterlife (98th) See: The Gift of Music
95. Forsaken (87th) It's alright, live is good.

Offline HOF

« Reply #577 on: January 06, 2024, 10:49:18 AM »
Afterlife is one DT song that has grown on me more and more over the years. The version on Score is awesome.

Vacant is fine. Forsaken is forsaken.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #578 on: January 06, 2024, 10:56:05 AM »
Vacant - 85
Afterlife - 57
Forsaken - DNR

Vacant is SOOO GORGEOUS!!! The only thing that kept it a bit lower down the list is that it feels more like an intro than a proper individual song.  I’ve never heard them play them together, and that’s a shame. Every time I hear the live versions they’ve played separately, it always sounded like something was missing.

Afterlife has always been a top shelf song for me. It was one of the songs that was played fairly regularly on the IAW tour, and so I heard JLB do it a lot and I’ve always loved his rendition. But the original is a standout.

Forsaken is the lamest lead single they’ve ever done. Mostly bland song from mostly subpar album.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #579 on: January 06, 2024, 11:00:43 AM »
97. Vacant A dark somber ballad that is OK, but not good enough to make my top 100.

96. Afterlife The one song on WDaDU that I have never been able to get into, and therefore the only song from WDaDU not to make my top 100.

95. Forsaken The first song on SC that really caught my ear when I got the album. It's catchy ear candy although not of the same depth and quality of a lot of DT's other material. It ended up at 47 on my list.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #580 on: January 06, 2024, 11:05:25 AM »
Wow, all three are around the same grouping in my ranks :lol

Vacant (76) - A beautiful song, and a nice breather from the onslaught that is ToT.

Afterlife (80) - I've always liked this one, the Score version is my favourite over the album version though (sorry Charlie). That JR and JP solo section is jawdropping.

Forsaken (78) - Nothing much to say, really. A nice track from SC.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #581 on: January 06, 2024, 11:19:06 AM »
Vacant: 45. Beautiful and gut-wrenching, and my favourite James' performance as Singer, not just vocalist.

Afterlife: Didn't make the cut. Too formulaic for what I look for in DT.

Forsaken: Didn't make the cut. Too formulaic for what I look for in DT.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #582 on: January 06, 2024, 11:19:31 AM »
Vacant didn't make it at 128; and Forsaken was #117.

But yeah, Afterlife is a great example of a short DT song that still manages to hit a lot of marks. Love the drumming and riffs and of course that awesome solo section + unison. James SLAYS it on Score. Had it at #31.

31 Afterlife
54 Wither
81 The Gift of Music

Missed the top 100: Never Enough, Vacant, Forsaken

Online Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #583 on: January 06, 2024, 11:22:22 AM »
Vacant - My ranking: #93 (+4)
Vacant is beautiful. James did great with his lyrics and vocal performance, and the piano and cello create a deep sense of sadness. I feel a little bad ranking songs like this on the lower end of the scale, I feel like I should've ranked this one a little higher even though I know there's so much tough competition.

Afterlife - My ranking: #142 (-7)
A bottom 10 Dream Theater song for me... which means it's an alright song. Really, the only problem with this song is that aside from the chorus and the first and last 3 seconds, I don't remember anything about this song. What I do remember is good, though.

Forsaken - My ranking: #131 (-4)
I rarely ever listen to Forsaken, but when I do, it's enjoyable. Lots of better Dream Theater songs out there, but still good. Nice to see it's gotten a better reputation recently, too; a few years ago it seemed like the consensus was that Forsaken was one of the worst DT songs ever made, which I don't really understand.

63. The Gift of Music
89. Never Enough
90. Wither
93. Vacant
--------------------------
131. Forsaken
142. Afterlife

Offline Mladen

« Reply #584 on: January 06, 2024, 11:28:23 AM »
Vacant just missed the cut for me. It's a lovely song. Looking back on my list and some of the songs that did make it, I should have put it in.

Afterlife was my #39. I'm stunned it ended up this low. Not only is the studio version perfectly fine, but the versions with James that are out there are stellar, especially the Score rendition.

Forsaken was my #98. It's a good, catchy tune.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #585 on: January 06, 2024, 11:31:29 AM »
Afterlife was my #39. I'm stunned it ended up this low. Not only is the studio version perfectly fine, but the versions with James that are out there are stellar, especially the Score rendition.

That is true, he really elevates the song. That's why I had it in my 100.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #586 on: January 06, 2024, 11:40:39 AM »
One interesting thing when I was doing my own rankings was how much more I enjoyed WDADU.

Offline mariner

« Reply #587 on: January 06, 2024, 12:07:28 PM »
Forsaken was #56 for me.  The two "singles" from SC were my favorites (Constant Motion being the other).   Lyrics are a bit silly.

Afterlife is #68 and I also love the James version on Score.  (Maybe because I got to see it in person!!!).

Vacant did not make my list, but I found to be a neat song.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #588 on: January 06, 2024, 12:21:54 PM »
I'm honestly loving this and giddy over the thought of it going on for a good while. I only had one out of these three in my top 100, and it should come as no surprise that it's the one from Systematic Chaos.

My ranking so far

13. Wither
20. Never Enough
49. Forsaken

109. Vacant
113. Afterlife
140. The Gift of Music

Vacant and Afterlife both just missed my list, and are also ranked closely together, so I'm not too far off the general consensus. I don't really have anything to say about either, other than this. Ruslan, you ranking Vacant so high is as wild to me as Wither was to you :lol it just feels too much like an interlude I guess. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it just lowers my ranking of it.

Forsaken I really like though. My ranking is based almost wholly on Petrucci's guitarwork. The riffs, leads and solos literally make the song. I don't think the lyrics or performances by other members are particularly bad or good, just pretty solid. It's also mainly to do with Systematic Chaos being the first new DT release that came out after I became a fan.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #589 on: January 06, 2024, 12:24:49 PM »
Was away on vacation, missed this thing starting! love the way the results are presented  :tup

I'm glad Wither and Forsalen at the very least made the cut. I'm also pleasantly surprised that I'm NOT the one who ranked them higher  :lol

Never Enough was 96 for me. Decent song but it's too much derivative.

Wither was 28. Excellent ballad.

The Gift of Music was 70. Surprised I have it so low, but hey, I trusted the system.

Forsaken was 29, amazing song and one of their best shorter and to the point ones.

Afterlife didn't make my cut.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #590 on: January 06, 2024, 12:26:28 PM »
Vacant - none
Afterlife - 46
Forsaken - none

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: January 06, 2024, 12:32:00 PM »
Oh I have Forsaken a little bit higher than the mediun.
Nice enough song and one of few that rated from Systematic Chaos.
Vacant and Afterlife did not make it for me though.

89 Forsaken (95)
91. The Gift of Music (98)
94. Never Enough (100)

Not rated
Wither (99), Vacant (97), Afterlife (98)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: January 06, 2024, 12:37:43 PM »
I'll be here to defend Vacant in ~30 minutes. Incredible song. #15 is a hot take, I know.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #593 on: January 06, 2024, 12:38:37 PM »

My ranking so far

13. Wither
20. Never Enough
140. The Gift of Music

Let's get into it.

Bring on the next three.

It's actually not my highest ranking ballad, there are two above it.

It's what we're all here for. I'm just shocked by how wrong you all are!

Right?! Wait, am I Stadler now? This is an unexpected turn.

Embrace it, Luke, it's like a warm bath.  :)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #594 on: January 06, 2024, 12:42:18 PM »
145. Vacant
138. Wither
123. Never Enough
121. Afterlife
59.  The Gift of Music
44.  Forsaken