Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 132595 times)

HOF, ne9149, efx and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #735 on: October 26, 2023, 02:44:40 PM »

I'd like specific recommendations for individual songs for someone like me whose favorite DT era is largely their least popular: SDoIT, ToT, Octavarium, and SC. (Other albums rank as "best" in other categories from a logical standpoint for sure, but for me, in the category of the overall feels they bring back etc, these are it.)

Check out:

At Wit's End
Breaking All Illusions
Fall into the Light
Awaken the Master
Transcending Time

Those should all grab ya pretty quickly.
That's a good list!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #736 on: October 26, 2023, 02:45:59 PM »
I have yet to have heard anything from any Wilson-related project that didn't immediately put me to sleep.  Or induce vomiting.  Or induce vomiting while asleep.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #737 on: October 26, 2023, 02:47:59 PM »
I have yet to have heard anything from any Wilson-related project that didn't immediately put me to sleep.  Or induce vomiting.  Or induce vomiting while asleep.

I'll pray for you, my friend. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #738 on: October 26, 2023, 02:48:13 PM »

No mention of the recent Porcupine Tree shows? For me, that was the best thing to happen to me since getting out of my marriage alive. Still is, even now. I was only three weeks out from my second surgery in under two months at the time that I went to see them basically back to back at both Radio City and The Met in Philly. Cost so much money for two tickets that if two amazingly generous friends hadn't helped me, I would've had to take on debt that would've taken a couple of months to get out from under. I was so happy I cried multiple times. Two of the happiest nights of my life. Spent most of both nights standing on two feet that had just gone through joint replacements, after being non-weight bearing on both for most of the previous 10 weeks. Never been in such happy pain (I'd like to say giving birth was happier pain but in the moment, it was not. lol. That took til later.)

Bill (Stadler) is still a Porcupine Tree denier, but there is always hope that one day he will see the (half) light.  :coolio :coolio

Yeah, I'm not there yet. :). But I love the story, and I love the passion.  I've felt that for OTHER bands besides PT; I grew up a Kiss fan and am still an unapologetic fan.  I got to see their homecoming in New York at Madison Square Garden on the reunion tour and it was a transcendental experience.  It was everything I love about music.  I didn't cry, it was a different set of emotions, but it was something I had loved since I was 12, and never thought I'd ever see it but for grainy VHS tapes.  Lo and behold, I did and it was glorious.  :)

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #739 on: October 26, 2023, 02:51:53 PM »

oh wow. He's my favorite artist of all time. How interesting we can be at such different places but both have ended up here in appreciation of DT. Let's never speak of this again.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #740 on: October 26, 2023, 02:53:21 PM »

Bill (Stadler) is still a Porcupine Tree denier, but there is always hope that one day he will see the (half) light.  :coolio :coolio

how is that even possible for someone with ears who appreciates music? Has nobody linked him to the right song yet? There's SO much variety out there, surely something would resonate unless he's just a willful denier.

Not willful.  If you have suggestions, I'm open. I've heard bits and pieces through the years; the album I'm most familiar with is The Raven...  but I'll listen to anything twice.   Hell, I still revisit Rush's Grace Under Pressure every year or so just in case something changed in my disregard for it!  :) :) :) :)

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #741 on: October 26, 2023, 02:55:01 PM »
I grew up a Kiss fan and am still an unapologetic fan.  I got to see their homecoming in New York at Madison Square Garden on the reunion tour and it was a transcendental experience.  It was everything I love about music.  I didn't cry, it was a different set of emotions, but it was something I had loved since I was 12, and never thought I'd ever see it but for grainy VHS tapes.  Lo and behold, I did and it was glorious.  :)

I've seen them three times now. One of those times was my daughter's second ever concert, she was 7 years old (her first was Alice Cooper) and we were on vacation in Fort Lauderdale and they were playing at Hard Rock (IIRC) in Hollywood FL. She felt it was too loud at one point even with her industrial grade ear covers, so my teenage sons took her out for a walk and since our tickets were comped by a friend in the industry, we were in the friends and family section... so as they took her out they walked past Shannon Tweed, who looked at her and told my boys "aww, she's so cute!"

I don't think my sons' friends ever believed them that they talked to a Playboy Playmate who complimented their little sister LOL

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #742 on: October 26, 2023, 02:56:49 PM »

how is that even possible for someone with ears who appreciates music? Has nobody linked him to the right song yet? There's SO much variety out there, surely something would resonate unless he's just a willful denier.

Not willful.  If you have suggestions, I'm open. I've heard bits and pieces through the years; the album I'm most familiar with is The Raven...  but I'll listen to anything twice.   Hell, I still revisit Rush's Grace Under Pressure every year or so just in case something changed in my disregard for it!  :) :) :) :)

I have a natural desire to ask you about stuff you like so I can try to find you something you would like, so I can feel like I've converted you, but at this point in my life/at my age I'm trying to accept that isn't always possible. It's probably healthier that I let it go, as hard as it is for me lol.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #743 on: October 26, 2023, 02:57:23 PM »

But it didn' induce sleep while vomiting, it appears.

Long ago a smart man -  and by smart I mean hopelessly demented - defined Steven Wilson as the present day Alan Parsons, and I stick to that definition.

Oh, crap.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #744 on: October 26, 2023, 02:59:02 PM »

oh Bosk. I ask this with all due respect: what the fuck?

Offline dparrott

« Reply #745 on: October 26, 2023, 03:04:40 PM »
BEST ALBUM SINCE SFAM INCOMING!!!  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Hopefully this will break the DT "song mold" that most of the recent albums have been trapped in.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #746 on: October 26, 2023, 03:05:05 PM »
I will add my two cents as I have had a few days to figure out how I feel about this.

I think it is a good decision for the most part, simply because I trust the members' decisions. If they feel this way, then I am all for it.

Though, I am shocked at the move. They have clearly not been struggling for the past few years. The switch to Inside Out, making their studio and getting numerous Grammy nominations and a win made it seem like they were feeling pretty comfortable with how things were.

I was also happy to see how the last two albums have turned out. It felt like they were finally getting used to writing with each other. I was looking forward to the next album with MM.

I am concerned that he will become outspoken in their music again due to his nature. I am worried about how JLB will fit into the picture again. I feel he found himself the best in AVFTTOTW. But I am happy overall. I don't want Dark Eternal Night Part Two or a nice massive  "RAWWWOOOORRRRR" in future DT songs. The band has been autonomous without MP for 13 years, and I hope he will understand.

Having said that, I am head over heels as an MP fanboy. He was why I got into the band in the first place.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #747 on: October 26, 2023, 03:06:03 PM »
Honesty, I think it's foolhardy to try to guess what Mike would and would not do.  I think he's still got a little of that "let's pull the rabbit out of the hat" fuck you to him.  "They don't think I'll play a song from The Astonishing?  Let's do the whole damn thing!"   It might not be a tour, or anything like that, but who knows? 

I can tell you I'm still sort of incredulous that this even happened.  It hasn't sunk in.   But I'm as happy about this as any reunion/return/revisiting since... I don't know. This is - FOR ME - up there with Roth in Van Halen, Dickinson back to Maiden, or Kiss with the makeup.

agree this feels like the magnitude of Dickinson back in Maiden. seems unreal and like a dream
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #748 on: October 26, 2023, 03:08:40 PM »
Wow, shocked honestly.  Not that it did happen, that it happened so suddenly now.  Crazy.

Thank you Mike Mangini for keeping the music going.  So much respect for him.

Welcome back Mike Portnoy!

2010 didn't shock me. This does. Perhaps I'll learn more in the next 23 pages.

Online HOF

« Reply #749 on: October 26, 2023, 03:10:21 PM »

Long ago a smart man -  and by smart I mean hopelessly demented - defined Steven Wilson as the present day Alan Parsons, and I stick to that definition.

Oh, crap.

That's a pretty good analogy. I like some things SW has done more than others. Overall PT has not aged well for me and I rarely listen to that stuff anymore. But I do think SW's new album is pretty great.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #750 on: October 26, 2023, 03:14:54 PM »
I'm not sure that analogy helps.  When I was growing up and Alan Parsons was popular, "Parson's" was also the name of a popular ammonia bathroom cleaner brand.  To me, they both stank equally, so I have always associated them with one another.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #751 on: October 26, 2023, 03:18:43 PM »
I wonder if this is one last album/tour cycle before they retire? Bringing MP back for that would feel right.

Without knowing much else at this point, I'd say Dream Theater has announced their retirement without announcing their retirement. However much time is left, it may not be a very big window.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #752 on: October 26, 2023, 03:28:03 PM »
I wonder if this is one last album/tour cycle before they retire? Bringing MP back for that would feel right.

Without knowing much else at this point, I'd say Dream Theater has announced their retirement without announcing their retirement. However much time is left, it may not be a very big window.

I can't imagine bringing back an energetic ADHD powerhouse just to be like "yeah we're actually done". If they do "retire" I suspect it would be to the festival circuit where they could do a bunch of fan favorites a couple of handfuls of times a year with long breaks in between, and I would further suspect it would be a situation where a big part of bringing MP back would be so he could administrate over a new DT-centric prog festival that isn't a one-time cruise each year, but instead hits major cities yearly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #753 on: October 26, 2023, 03:37:31 PM »
It wouldn't shock me if one or two members of the band made it clear that maybe they only want to do this for a couple more years, so Petrucci, who wanted it (the return of Portnoy) to happen eventually anyway, figured this was their last shot to get Portnoy back to "put the classic lineup back together" before it is too late. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #754 on: October 26, 2023, 03:51:41 PM »
When you think about it, this was inevitable.  Once Portnoy and LaBrie made amends, the final piece was in place for his return, and it was just a matter of time.  The band had shown in the past that they were not above letting someone go (Charlie, Derek) for the greater good of the band.

Exactly this.

I could never understand how so many posters here kept saying it was never going to happen.

I'll admit it.  Didn't think it would ever happen unless Mike decided to leave. But I never considered the economic/business issues that have devolved over the years. Also never considered the retirement question.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #755 on: October 26, 2023, 04:04:39 PM »
"Hey guys, for the 2nd set, let's play all of Misplaced Childhood"

I would pay way too much money to see that.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #756 on: October 26, 2023, 04:07:24 PM »
I don't normally post in this section of the forum, but events like this really shake everything loose.  I haven't had time to finish skimming this thread yet, but this caught my eye. 

but with the most metal guy of the five back in the band

Are we sure about this?  JR seems the least into metal, but I'd argue based on Static Impulse and Impermanent Resonance that it could be James, there's harder-edged material there than DT ever gets to.  MP has spent so much time with non-metal projects (TA, TWD, FC, NMB, etc.) that I think you could say he's even a bit less into metal than JP.

I recall seeing a video (or maybe reading something, but I think it was a video) in which MP said, something like the following:  "You know, a lot of people talk about me being the 'most metal' member of DT, but I'm also probably the 'most prog' as well."

If MP were the "most metal" guy, then one would expect that the MM-era albums would have been "less metal" that what came before, but I'd argue that, if anything, they were (except for TA) MORE "metal."

You've probably heard more than I have, but I'm write there with you (although I'm not sure I'd go as far as vomiting).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #757 on: October 26, 2023, 04:10:01 PM »
It’s pretty fun to open this thread and see the long list of users viewing it. This feels like the old days, like early 2000s before Facebook and Twitter when people used message boards to talk about exciting band news!

That's why I just found out about this now. Don't use the other stuff. Must have been crazy here yesterday.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #758 on: October 26, 2023, 04:14:17 PM »
Obviously this helps for their live shows but I'm far more concerned about song writing. The last two albums have been atrocious so hopefully MP can stop Petrucci and maybe even convince them to hire an outside producer.

Beyond amazed and happy for this but definitely hoping the issues are fixed and the band doesn't stay the same or revert back to where they were when MP left.

Now sure what two atrocious albums you were listening to, but those weren't DT, I'm sure :lol

Seriously, and answering to the bolded, MP himself doesn't like working with outside producers. What we're going to get is the same team from SFAM-BC&SL, just with their own studio and Jimmy T as full time engineer.

I'm as shocked and excited as everybody by the news, but let's try not get our hopes super high from the start before knowing what's really coming. The last we saw from this lineup were SC and Black Clouds, two albums that aren't too popular among people here... and LTE 3 was great, but nothing too far from what we've seen from the guys already. Are some people really expecting them to reinvent the wheel at this stage?

I'm hoping for something a little more ground breaking but everyone's 13 years older so I don't know how realistic that is. I hope it's not Train Of Thought or Systematic Chaos part two.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #759 on: October 26, 2023, 04:20:42 PM »
When you think about it, this was inevitable.  Once Portnoy and LaBrie made amends, the final piece was in place for his return, and it was just a matter of time.  The band had shown in the past that they were not above letting someone go (Charlie, Derek) for the greater good of the band.

Exactly this.

I could never understand how so many posters here kept saying it was never going to happen.

I'll admit it.  Didn't think it would ever happen unless Mike decided to leave. But I never considered the economic/business issues that have devolved over the years. Also never considered the retirement question.

Count me in the camp that did not see it coming. I said a few times it would never happen and obviously I was incorrect. I think a lot of people were genuinely caught off guard but for me, I was so enjoying the records that it felt like 'hey this is great, keep em coming.'

Also, just a quick sidebar, I just want to say to everyone on the forum that I have really enjoyed chatting DT with you over the last couple years. Even though we may not have agreed on everything or things appeared to get heated, I found it comforting to chat with people who also love DT as much as I do. If I try to talk DT with friends and family their eyes start to glaze over so it's been really cool and I hope I am allowed to continue.

I am honestly not sure what I am allowed to say or not say or agree with or opine on, in part because often I am the only one getting in trouble for saying things others are saying or saying things that are way more mild even, but I am going to keep contributing to the threads with my opinions and thoughts in the same manner as I observe everyone else doing. Given what transpired yesterday, it would appear that my days posting here are numbered. If the individual who owns this forum wakes up in a bad mood and did not like my opinion (which will be labeled as opinion, per usual) or the way I personally interpreted events I am probably toast after being accused of spreading false information.

So I will continue to try my best to abide by the forum rules, but the capriciousness and apparent randomness with which warnings were distributed, appears to put the writing on the wall. I mean, I just read another poster literally call a DT album 'dialed in garbage' and intimate that JLB cannot sing and he didn't get an official warning but I got threatened with banishment and slammed with an official warning for saying my opinion was that MM got let go (by the way, other posters including after me said the same thing, pointing out that the different ways it's being said were just technicalities). I've never said anything even remotely that disrespectful about a DT album or a band member but whatever.

But alas, since no one knows the day or the hour I shall perish from the forum, I just want to say it's been fun and engaging and I hope I'll be able to chat DT16 with you all.

Best,

BSW
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I don't personally know any present or former members of Dream Theater. From time to time where the context is obvious, I may state an opinion without clearly labeling every single part of it as such. I cannot predict the future.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #760 on: October 26, 2023, 04:22:46 PM »

Oh, crap.

I didn't think Alan Parsons blew that much.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #761 on: October 26, 2023, 04:34:34 PM »
It wouldn't shock me if one or two members of the band made it clear that maybe they only want to do this for a couple more years, so Petrucci, who wanted it (the return of Portnoy) to happen eventually anyway, figured this was their last shot to get Portnoy back to "put the classic lineup back together" before it is too late.
I don't know as they have anything specific in mind, but I think it's probably pretty obvious to all of them that if they were ever going to do this it was pretty much time to get rolling with it.

I think it was probably also pretty clear that they had pretty much run their course, and they could either peter out as they've been doing, or try and go out with a bang. Clearly this is the best move for them from a finance and popularity point of view. In other words, obvious move is obvious.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #762 on: October 26, 2023, 04:53:46 PM »

It would be melt my heart to see a show in the future where MP has his twin monster and Mangini comes out to jam with them. That would say to me that they're all still friends and show the fans that there's no animosity between them all.

-Marc.

THAT would be amazing! Why not keep both Mikes? That would break some ground.

Of course the drum insurance may make that idea cost prohibitive.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #763 on: October 26, 2023, 05:16:55 PM »
Also, just a quick sidebar, I just want to say to everyone on the forum that I have really enjoyed chatting DT with you over the last couple years. Even though we may not have agreed on everything or things appeared to get heated, I found it comforting to chat with people who also love DT as much as I do. If I try to talk DT with friends and family their eyes start to glaze over so it's been really cool and I hope I am allowed to continue.

I am honestly not sure what I am allowed to say or not say or agree with or opine on, in part because often I am the only one getting in trouble for saying things others are saying or saying things that are way more mild even, but I am going to keep contributing to the threads with my opinions and thoughts in the same manner as I observe everyone else doing. Given what transpired yesterday, it would appear that my days posting here are numbered. If the individual who owns this forum wakes up in a bad mood and did not like my opinion (which will be labeled as opinion, per usual) or the way I personally interpreted events I am probably toast after being accused of spreading false information.

So I will continue to try my best to abide by the forum rules, but the capriciousness and apparent randomness with which warnings were distributed, appears to put the writing on the wall. I mean, I just read another poster literally call a DT album 'dialed in garbage' and intimate that JLB cannot sing and he didn't get an official warning but I got threatened with banishment and slammed with an official warning for saying my opinion was that MM got let go (by the way, other posters including after me said the same thing, pointing out that the different ways it's being said were just technicalities). I've never said anything even remotely that disrespectful about a DT album or a band member but whatever.

But alas, since no one knows the day or the hour I shall perish from the forum, I just want to say it's been fun and engaging and I hope I'll be able to chat DT16 with you all.

Best,

BSW

Well, first off, read the forum rules.  It is obvious that you have not, since you are compounding the issue by continuing to discuss a moderation issue in the thread rather than take it to PM if you want to discuss it further, which the forum rules squarely address.  This will be the LAST post on the subject here in the thread.  If you want to discuss further, you can use the PM function.

To address the substance of your post, the warning was not arbitrary at all, and you were NOT the only one warned in this thread.  And the warning was not personal, but was instead aimed at what you posted on the forum.  And even after these discussions, it remains decidedly NOT personal.  If you truly enjoy and want to keep posting here, great.  Please do.  I only ask that you abide by the rules, and by any admonitions given by the mod staff (including myself).  If so, you will be able to enjoy a long posting history here.  If not, then you will not.  It's as simple as that.  You don't necessarily have to agree with the mod decisions that are handed out.  But you do have to abide by them.  And there are plenty of examples of people who have gotten warnings 1, 5, and even 10 years ago that are able to continue posting and being awesome members here.  But those that react along the lines of, "Oh, it's so arbitrary, I'm being singled out, and I didn't possibly do anything wrong" rather than taking the time to understand why they were warned and make sure it doesn't happen again generally don't last.  So, going forward, where this goes is up to you.

Anyhow, enough of that.  Let's get back to the topic at hand.  Mike Portnoy is back in DT!  Exciting times!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #764 on: October 26, 2023, 05:19:19 PM »
Mike Portnoy is back in DT!  Exciting times!

The best of times!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #765 on: October 26, 2023, 05:23:34 PM »
It took me a while to process this information - and to read and understand all of the 762 posts in this thread  :biggrin: Like most people here, I was completely shocked by the band's decision.

I am also on board with everyone saying they're having mixed feelings about MM's departure. He's obviously an insane musician, a real classy guy and I love what he has contributed to the band. I just wish he would have been able to contribute more.

In such a situation I usually go back and listen to the band's music. But my first desire was not to listen to a Portnoy-era album because of the excitement for his return. It was to listen to Mangini-era albums because of the nostalgia, if that makes sense. So after I took 24 hours to process what was going on, I just put on my A View From The Top Of The World vinyl and listened to the whole thing. I think the pieces were really coming into place with this album. And the following album could have been a real banger. MM finally found his place, his sound and was able to contribute more. I really feel a bit sentimental that MM is no longer in the band since I had found my peace with him being DT's drummer and not just a fill-in or hired gun.

I thought back about the time when this big change happened. I became a DT fan round the end of 2005 (I was 12!) and they completely changed my life. And that is no overstatement - while I was always a big music fan, DT pushed me to look further into music, their influences became my influences. I saved money for two whole years and finally bought the JP6 guitar. I was 15. I realized music was not just a hobby for me and DT played an important role in this realization. I applied on an music boarding school and proceeded to proudly carry my much loved JP6 into my room and started to go on everyone's nerves that DT is the best band in the world on a school filled with classical musicians.

When MP left the band, I was on an exchange year in Argentina. And a whole world broke down for me. I was 18, DT was still my favorite band and I was still going on everyone's nerves about it. I was so happy when MM stepped in and DT continued. I couldn't wait for their new album to be released and used to check several times a day if they dropped another one those song snippets for Dramatic Turn (on Myspace I think?) back then.

Back then I would have never thought MP would come back and I was always excited about the direction the band would take. I was always on board. Even if sometimes their newest album didn't excite me as the previous ones (DT12), I was always excited for the next one. I also remember following all the speculation and promotion for The Astonishing and remember how awesome all of that was. And I loved that MM was always so damn enthusiastic about all of it. Although that was not that long ago, it feels like those were... simpler times somehow.

Now, in those 13 years I finished my exchange year, finished school, started studying music, got my heart broken two times, moved to Austria, started studying medicine, found a new love and just finished my doctor's degree. What a ride, and now MP is back in the band. Unbelievable.

So, of course I feel for MM that he now parts ways with the band. I rewatched the video where he got "the phone call". He was so over the top excited and thankful. And he and everyone else thought he would be in the band until their final concert. Makes me kind of sentimental now that he won't be. Thanks Mike Mangini, you are a beast.

Either way, I am still very excited that MP is back the band. And I'm still on board for all things Dream Theater. I'm sorry I started blabbing about all that stuff, but I feel like I had to get out at least the short version of all the things that came to my mind over the last 24 hours.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #766 on: October 26, 2023, 05:26:10 PM »
One thing I was thinking about last night. The news breaks yesterday and by and large there is joy in the fanbase (not absolutely everyone, and largely not without due respect for Mr. Mangini). The band has received a shot in the arm in terms of attention/enthusiasm, and they're going to capitalize on that by... eventually releasing new music and going on tour? MP is on tour with the Winery Dogs through Thanksgiving week. He gets home from Japan and they'd maybe have a couple weeks to get together and write before the holidays. Best case scenario is maybe there's a new album written and recorded by sometime in February? Then wait for it to get mixed and mastered and into the elongated album release cycle waiting for vinyl pressing and whatnot. If they wait to tour behind the new album then there might not be anything tangible in terms of new music or shows with Portnoy back in the drummer's stool before August or September of 2024, almost a year from the announcement. Just seems like a waste in some ways. If it were me I would have had as part of yesterday's announcement something to the effect of "We're obviously excited to get into the studio and record new music together, but we don't want to wait that long to play music together in front of all of you" and drop some tour dates for the first half of 2024. You don't need new music to sell the first tour with Portnoy back in the band.

A tour will make Dream Theater money. An album won't.

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #767 on: October 26, 2023, 05:30:04 PM »
I'm not sure that analogy helps.  When I was growing up and Alan Parsons was popular, "Parson's" was also the name of a popular ammonia bathroom cleaner brand.  To me, they both stank equally, so I have always associated them with one another.

Ammonia Avenue.
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #768 on: October 26, 2023, 06:28:19 PM »
In such a situation I usually go back and listen to the band's music. But my first desire was not to listen to a Portnoy-era album because of the excitement for his return. It was to listen to Mangini-era albums because of the nostalgia, if that makes sense.
[/quote

Yeah, this was me yesterday as well. Such a great catalog with MM.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #769 on: October 26, 2023, 06:32:17 PM »
I don't normally post in this section of the forum, but events like this really shake everything loose.  I haven't had time to finish skimming this thread yet, but this caught my eye. 

but with the most metal guy of the five back in the band

Are we sure about this?  JR seems the least into metal, but I'd argue based on Static Impulse and Impermanent Resonance that it could be James, there's harder-edged material there than DT ever gets to.  MP has spent so much time with non-metal projects (TA, TWD, FC, NMB, etc.) that I think you could say he's even a bit less into metal than JP.

I recall seeing a video (or maybe reading something, but I think it was a video) in which MP said, something like the following:  "You know, a lot of people talk about me being the 'most metal' member of DT, but I'm also probably the 'most prog' as well."

If MP were the "most metal" guy, then one would expect that the MM-era albums would have been "less metal" that what came before, but I'd argue that, if anything, they were (except for TA) MORE "metal."

You've probably heard more than I have, but I'm write there with you (although I'm not sure I'd go as far as vomiting).

Heaviest albums were all with MP in the band. And I’m 100% sure there is a quote from an insider that says JP is the one that likes to bring the metal, and that makes sense to me. MP is the Beatles and Zappa guy, not JP.