Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 124791 times)

jonny108 and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Addy

Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #210 on: October 25, 2023, 10:17:51 AM »
I love Portnoy, but this feels strange. I remember being heartbroken back in September 2010 when MP left and then getting really, really excited when they announced MM. For me, Mangini is a genius who never got the credit or even the creative freedom he deserved. He wanted to be a part of the band, and the press release gives the “hired gun” vibes. He probably was let go Derek style and I feel for him. MM, you’re the best!
That said, I feel there was little excitement for DT recently. Solid albums, solid shows, albeit with less and less attendance. Is this a stunt, a money grab? Are they close to calling it quits and want to end with classic lineup? They will sell the next tour for sure.
The expectations for the new album though… They better bring their a-game.
Welcome home, MP!

Offline kipkjustm

« Reply #211 on: October 25, 2023, 10:18:08 AM »
Well that wasn’t on my bingo card today!

Offline DTA

« Reply #212 on: October 25, 2023, 10:18:12 AM »
This is exciting news, but I legitimately enjoyed Mangini's contributions and the albums he did with the band quite a bit, so I'm disappointed to see him go. I'm kinda hoping MP ditches all the side project stuff, and just focuses on DT for the next few years. The possibilities are endless and it's cool to see excitement around the band again.

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #213 on: October 25, 2023, 10:19:44 AM »
Will MP still be part of NMB?

I have been enjoying them immensely both on album and live.

I was wondering why there has been no NMB activity lately. Maybe this has something to do with it?

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #214 on: October 25, 2023, 10:21:04 AM »
The last two times DT had tough times and a lineup change we got SFAM and ADTOE. So, I'm pretty excited!

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #215 on: October 25, 2023, 10:22:26 AM »
Both surprised and not surprised by these news at the same time. Always felt that MP would come back at some point, and seeing as he worked with Petrucci and Ruddess for LTE3, it did feel like wheels were in motion to make this happen. But even so, hearing the news still took me by surprise. On a personal level it's something that makes me excited about DT again and I actually feel intrigued to hear their new album for the first time in 15 years. No offense to Mangini or his ability, as I think DT were running a bit low on creativity even before he came in, but getting the classic lineup back together still brings back some hype. Probably nr2 on the list of things to make me more excited about a new DT album, only topped by something insane like Kevin Moore rejoining.

What a day to be alive though, you have both people reappearing from the dead to post for the first time in months or years, and also strangely some people rage quitting their fandom over this? Lots of emotions running high. :p

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #216 on: October 25, 2023, 10:22:52 AM »
I was listening to Dream Healer by Gamma Ray earlier so I'm going to personally take credit for this reunion.

Offline emtee

« Reply #217 on: October 25, 2023, 10:23:19 AM »
Still have goosebumps.

I can honestly say that I am more amped and excited about the next album then maybe...ever, with any band at any time.

Offline MrMike

« Reply #218 on: October 25, 2023, 10:23:51 AM »
I can say with absolute confidence this will be the final incarnation of DT…

I wonder if this was a wise thing for JLB to say. 

Something in my gut is telling me that this quote won’t age well.

Yeah given history, I'm a little surprised he'd say that as well.  Makes me wonder if the end point has been discussed and determined, like say two more albums and tours and that's it.  But then he goes on to say something about many more chapters, so who knows.

Offline JPX

« Reply #219 on: October 25, 2023, 10:24:15 AM »
I love Portnoy, but this feels strange. I remember being heartbroken back in September 2010 when MP left and then getting really, really excited when they announced MM. For me, Mangini is a genius who never got the credit or even the creative freedom he deserved. He wanted to be a part of the band, and the press release gives the “hired gun” vibes. He probably was let go Derek style and I feel for him. MM, you’re the best!
That said, I feel there was little excitement for DT recently. Solid albums, solid shows, albeit with less and less attendance. Is this a stunt, a money grab? Are they close to calling it quits and want to end with classic lineup? They will sell the next tour for sure.
The expectations for the new album though… They better bring their a-game.
Welcome home, MP!

None of us thought this would ever happen and I for one won't miss MM in the slightest. There's a reason he still has a hired gun vibe to this day.

Obviously this helps for their live shows but I'm far more concerned about song writing. The last two albums have been atrocious so hopefully MP can stop Petrucci and maybe even convince them to hire an outside producer.

Beyond amazed and happy for this but definitely hoping the issues are fixed and the band doesn't stay the same or revert back to where they were when MP left.

Offline HOF

« Reply #220 on: October 25, 2023, 10:24:32 AM »
It’s pretty fun to open this thread and see the long list of users viewing it. This feels like the old days, like early 2000s before Facebook and Twitter when people used message boards to talk about exciting band news!

Offline JPX

« Reply #221 on: October 25, 2023, 10:25:33 AM »
Will MP still be part of NMB?

I have been enjoying them immensely both on album and live.

I was wondering why there has been no NMB activity lately. Maybe this has something to do with it?

The last album was a huge decline from TSoaD and TGS

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #222 on: October 25, 2023, 10:26:04 AM »
Why do I think Queensryche is going to be keeping a close eye on Dream Theater's ticket sales in the near future...

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #223 on: October 25, 2023, 10:31:28 AM »
It’s pretty fun to open this thread and see the long list of users viewing it. This feels like the old days, like early 2000s before Facebook and Twitter when people used message boards to talk about exciting band news!

Can we go back to that? I don't want to do social media anymore.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #224 on: October 25, 2023, 10:33:43 AM »
Obviously this helps for their live shows but I'm far more concerned about song writing. The last two albums have been atrocious so hopefully MP can stop Petrucci and maybe even convince them to hire an outside producer.

Beyond amazed and happy for this but definitely hoping the issues are fixed and the band doesn't stay the same or revert back to where they were when MP left.

Now sure what two atrocious albums you were listening to, but those weren't DT, I'm sure :lol

Seriously, and answering to the bolded, MP himself doesn't like working with outside producers. What we're going to get is the same team from SFAM-BC&SL, just with their own studio and Jimmy T as full time engineer.

I'm as shocked and excited as everybody by the news, but let's try not get our hopes super high from the start before knowing what's really coming. The last we saw from this lineup were SC and Black Clouds, two albums that aren't too popular among people here... and LTE 3 was great, but nothing too far from what we've seen from the guys already. Are some people really expecting them to reinvent the wheel at this stage?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: October 25, 2023, 10:36:40 AM »
No Mangini? I am OUT! I hope you all enjoy your forums.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #226 on: October 25, 2023, 10:38:11 AM »
My wife just asked me "What happened? Did someone die?" because I was clicking away (to see if it was real) and didn't realize I was shaking.  I'm pretty stoked for this, honestly. even if it comes completely out of the blue (for me).  I'm not interested in the behind the scenes, or any of that, except out of general curiosity, I just want to see some of that organic magic, five guys having FUN on stage.  I just hope that the detente between James and Mike is real, and lasting.  I hope it is, and I think the men are adult enough and seen enough summers at this point to put the unnecessary behind them.  Certainly, though, this doesn't happen without the full acquiescence of JP and so this can't be a lark.  I truth them that it's well thought out and well-discussed.

And while I have sympathy for Mike M., this IS a business, and I don't think you replace ANY original member in ANY band and not have to have a personal reckoning that it could end at any time, no matter how slim the odds. 

damn man, you missed an opportunity to do one of those what i call "self-reaction" videos where you record yourself doing something and then go back and watch it. there would be such a great stadler post talking about your reaction to cry-shaking at this news!!

for recent examples see my sea of stars posts, my film posts and some music stuff (which i do actually post reviews for unlike the others, which are just for me)

sometimes seeing our own reactions in these tense moments teaches us more about ourselves than we'd ever hope to learn otherwise!

edit: "cry" as in exclamation of excitement, not tears (unless you cried, i know i did)
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: October 25, 2023, 10:42:00 AM »
No Mangini? I am OUT! I hope you all enjoy your forums.

That makes you the third person by my count.

Can I ask why?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: October 25, 2023, 10:44:43 AM »
Well HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTT!
How long has this been in the works?! seems so out of nowhere!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Stockpot

« Reply #229 on: October 25, 2023, 10:45:55 AM »
While political situation in my country is worth of big, steaming pile of shit, this news is such a highlight of this day for me! Maybe even highlight of the month! Since i discovered DT only in 2009 and never saw them with Portnoy, today i got reason why to buy a ticket for my 4th DT concert!  :metal :hefdaddy :smiley:

Offline gborland

« Reply #230 on: October 25, 2023, 10:47:37 AM »
Oh yes!

Best music news since Bruce and Adrian rejoined Maiden. Or since Neal did those Snow shows with SB.

I am very happy about this!
Graham Borland

Offline Buckethead

• Poopstring
« Reply #231 on: October 25, 2023, 10:48:13 AM »
Returning to post in a legendary thread in dt history, cannot believe this is true !!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #232 on: October 25, 2023, 10:49:08 AM »
I was listening to Dream Healer by Gamma Ray earlier so I'm going to personally take credit for this reunion.

Duly noted.  All credit is due you, kind sir. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #233 on: October 25, 2023, 10:50:04 AM »
I am here for this, I knew returning to DTF this year was for a reason.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #234 on: October 25, 2023, 10:51:31 AM »
When you think about it, this was inevitable.  Once Portnoy and LaBrie made amends, the final piece was in place for his return, and it was just a matter of time.  The band had shown in the past that they were not above letting someone go (Charlie, Derek) for the greater good of the band.

Exactly this.

I could never understand how so many posters here kept saying it was never going to happen.

I and others thought it could happen if Mangini decided to quit. I really didn't think they'd fire him (if that's what happened and I am getting that vibe as others have). Mangini appeared to be a happy full band member, not like all these guys who have been in and out of Megadeth.

I did not see this coming.

You know who else didn't?

Carol.

Ass to ass. ASS TO ASS

Ha ha I got that reference but not the Carol one.

Regarding the Dream Sonic tour...do you guys really think Mangini was the main reason why that tour didn't sell enough tickets?

Anyway, it does suck if Mangini was fired but Herrick is happy to be able to see the band with Portnoy. Never seen them with Portnoy before. I really like four out of five Mangini era albums but I'm looking forward to a new album even more now.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: October 25, 2023, 10:53:14 AM »
Weird to think MM already played his last show with DT and no one knew.  Although I have to wonder if the band knew or had a feeling or anything back in July.  He even shared his drum set on the last song he played with the band.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: October 25, 2023, 10:54:42 AM »
Weird to think MM already played his last show with DT and no one knew.  Although I have to wonder if the band knew or had a feeling or anything back in July.  He even shared his drum set on the last song he played with the band.

I don't know but this seems very sudden, I won't be surprised if we eventually find out all these decisions were made over the last couple of weeks or so.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

« Reply #237 on: October 25, 2023, 10:55:12 AM »
JP probably caught MP's performance at the Seahawks game and realized what was missing
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #238 on: October 25, 2023, 10:58:13 AM »
JP probably caught MP's performance at the Seahawks game and realized what was missing

So wait, is JP moving to Seattle now as well?
Photobucket sucks.

« Reply #239 on: October 25, 2023, 10:59:20 AM »

So wait, is JP moving to Seattle now as well?

he probably watched the game from the comfort of his Long Island mansion with a bottle of beard oil in hand, so nah, i don't think there's any reason to believe JP is also looking to escape the east
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #240 on: October 25, 2023, 10:59:41 AM »

Well it did show under MP's name that he was the drummer for DT. So JP obviously saw that and said, "Fuck it, we have no choice now."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #241 on: October 25, 2023, 11:01:04 AM »

I don't know but this seems very sudden, I won't be surprised if we eventually find out all these decisions were made over the last couple of weeks or so.

I wouldn't be surprised either. During one of those new Pearl drums videos with MM he got one of the new kits they were promoting and he said something like "can't wait for the DT fans to hear these live"... I even feel sad typing this right now :'(
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #242 on: October 25, 2023, 11:01:48 AM »
But the Seahawks already did their press release!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #243 on: October 25, 2023, 11:01:56 AM »
I had to do a double take when the news came up on my feed, because for a second I thought it was a fan-made satire post :eek I loved ADTOE, but the latter albums haven't quite impressed me, and I thought the atmosphere at the show I went to this year was pretty underwhelming, which somehow made me think there might be some kind of change coming up in the DT camp. Ironically Portnoy's return may end up being a welcome shake to the system just like his departure was. I can't help feeling sorry for Mangini, but his statement gave me the feeling he knew this day would come at some point (especially after James and MP's reconciliation), and at least they managed to play Rock in Rio and win a Grammy during his last album cycle, so he's not going out on a whimper.
EDIT - I wonder if they'll play any material from the MM-era on tour, and if so, it'll be REAL interesting to hear how MP covers MM's parts. Maybe he'll watch all those "If Portnoy played (this song)" videos on YouTube. :lol

-Marc.
The Grammy win seems to be a big thing for JP at least, so I could see The Alien remaining in the set, but apart from Far from Heaven and/or Beneath the Surface, which can be played without drums if they decide to do an acoustic mini-set again, I wouldn't count on any other MM-era material coming back, considering there are already 10 albums with MP to choose songs from.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #244 on: October 25, 2023, 11:02:50 AM »
Best to MM - got a chance to see him live on every tour cycle that came through the area and always left impressed by his abilities.

Pretty shocked by the news, but I'm definitely in for night 1 of the next US tour!  Can't wait to hear what they come up with for DT16 :metal