Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 132553 times)

Cocopjojo and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline gzarruk

Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #700 on: October 26, 2023, 12:46:01 PM »
Mike always had that love for cover songs and even full album covers live, so the MP way would be to actually cover The Astonishing in full ;D :rollin

Portnoy may like drumming that stuff better than Mangini did lol.

But no, not at all. Back when the Shattered Fortress and SOA things were just starting, someone asked Mike in the comments if Derek was going to do the SF tour and Mike replied something like "Derek is as interested in playing anything from the Jordan era as I am in playing anything from The Astonishing".

Now, obviously he wasn't in the band back then, but I don't think he liked the album that much...
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online HOF

« Reply #701 on: October 26, 2023, 01:01:04 PM »
I’m really keen to see MP drum his way through TA with the added bonus of his vocal talent to flesh out some of the character stuff.
Stoked.

:lol

Sadly (for me), I doubt we ever get TA songs live again. I know most people didn't like the album, but there were certainly songs/sections that were worthy of being played live outside of the full album setting (and I know a few were before being dropped on one tour since TA).  I can see MP playing some MM songs, but just not these.

The Gift of Music feels like one that MP would be down for doing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #702 on: October 26, 2023, 01:02:58 PM »
I’m really keen to see MP drum his way through TA with the added bonus of his vocal talent to flesh out some of the character stuff.
Stoked.

:lol

Sadly (for me), I doubt we ever get TA songs live again. I know most people didn't like the album, but there were certainly songs/sections that were worthy of being played live outside of the full album setting (and I know a few were before being dropped on one tour since TA).  I can see MP playing some MM songs, but just not these.

The Gift of Music feels like one that MP would be down for doing.

I think A New Beginning is one he might go for as it sets up a little jamming and gasp improv at the end.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #703 on: October 26, 2023, 01:05:24 PM »
Why are counting DT music as cover? Just because MP did not play in it doesn't make it a cover song  ??? :justjen It's been mentioned a few times already and I don't get it
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #704 on: October 26, 2023, 01:07:52 PM »
Honesty, I think it's foolhardy to try to guess what Mike would and would not do.  I think he's still got a little of that "let's pull the rabbit out of the hat" fuck you to him.  "They don't think I'll play a song from The Astonishing?  Let's do the whole damn thing!"   It might not be a tour, or anything like that, but who knows? 

I can tell you I'm still sort of incredulous that this even happened.  It hasn't sunk in.   But I'm as happy about this as any reunion/return/revisiting since... I don't know. This is - FOR ME - up there with Roth in Van Halen, Dickinson back to Maiden, or Kiss with the makeup.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #705 on: October 26, 2023, 01:09:48 PM »
Honesty, I think it's foolhardy to try to guess what Mike would and would not do.  I think he's still got a little of that "let's pull the rabbit out of the hat" fuck you to him.  "They don't think I'll play a song from The Astonishing?  Let's do the whole damn thing!"   It might not be a tour, or anything like that, but who knows? 

If they decided to surprise-play all of The Astonishing a single night of an otherwise-normal tour and that was the night I caught, I might just kill myself. :rollin
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #706 on: October 26, 2023, 01:43:00 PM »
Why are counting DT music as cover? Just because MP did not play in it doesn't make it a cover song  ??? :justjen It's been mentioned a few times already and I don't get it
Absolutely agree, there are many bands who have had members change over their lifetime and I've never heard of future performances being called cover songs. I saw Journey twice since replacing Steve Perry, they certainly didn't do cover songs every night every time. Likewise I've seen Queensryche a few times since adding Todd LaTorre, who I absolutely adore - they're not doing covers every night. They're performing Queensryche songs. I could go on, but I doubt many people would respect my first inclination to talk about KISS lol.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #707 on: October 26, 2023, 01:44:17 PM »
You're right, of course.  DT doing DT songs is not a covers performance.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #708 on: October 26, 2023, 01:44:33 PM »

If they decided to surprise-play all of The Astonishing a single night of an otherwise-normal tour and that was the night I caught, I might just kill myself. :rollin

Please don't even put that into the universe. That would be my luck, every night before and after getting literally ANY album before ADtOE and me getting that. (I'm not familiar with the newer stuff, my life took a drastic change around the time MP left and I organically didn't end up following along the past dozen years, which... how the hell has it been that long??)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #709 on: October 26, 2023, 01:46:23 PM »
Now that you've missed it all, you should go back and listen to it.  A large portion of it is fantastic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #710 on: October 26, 2023, 01:46:48 PM »
Absolutely agree, there are many bands who have had members change over their lifetime and I've never heard of future performances being called cover songs. I saw Journey twice since replacing Steve Perry, they certainly didn't do cover songs every night every time. Likewise I've seen Queensryche a few times since adding Todd LaTorre, who I absolutely adore - they're not doing covers every night. They're performing Queensryche songs. I could go on, but I doubt many people would respect my first inclination to talk about KISS lol.

You rang?  ;)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #711 on: October 26, 2023, 01:58:51 PM »
Now that you've missed it all, you should go back and listen to it.  A large portion of it is fantastic.

I understand I'm in the minority, but yeah, most of the album is really good and very much DT. 

You're right, of course.  DT doing DT songs is not a covers performance.

Yup.

I can tell you I'm still sort of incredulous that this even happened.  It hasn't sunk in.   But I'm as happy about this as any reunion/return/revisiting since... I don't know. This is - FOR ME - up there with Roth in Van Halen, Dickinson back to Maiden, or Kiss with the makeup.

Of course it's foolhardy, but doesn't mean it's not fun speculation as well.  Also, for me, yeah, this is up there with one of the most exciting reunions in music.  I feel like it's been awhile since something of this magnitude happened.  DT may not be as popular as other bands, but they are one of my all time favorites so it certainly will rank high for me.  There's been some band changes this week that made news, Smashing Pumpkins guitarist left the band, Iya Terra broke up, and then MP rejoining DT is like light years ahead of any of that news in terms of meaningful impact to me.

Offline blackmetal666

« Reply #712 on: October 26, 2023, 02:00:18 PM »
I wonder if and when the story will come out

I mean, the story is pretty obvious, no

In terms of what was written in the official statement, yes.  But why now?  If the reasons are financial, how long has this been a problem?  Did it start immediately?  Did The Astonishing contribute to the problem?  (I know a lot of people love that album, but there are also a lot that don't.)  Every band was impacted by the Covid shutdown and the financial risks of touring since then.  The smaller the band, the greater the impact and risk.

These are honest questions.  I don't know the answers.

Those are great questions. I think we have enough information to infer most of the answers. It is possible that MM himself did not get the full answer but if the last 2 tours were as poorly attended as people say, then that is a good indicator of what motivated this decision. I watched a good documentary called Hired Gun - it's about exactly what it sounds like. This is just how these things go sometimes. Out of nowhere seemingly, the captain decides to steer the ship in another direction. Sometimes it is personal, or drugs, or a tragedy in someone's life, but a lot of the times it just comes down to the business aspect.

I attended multiple shows on each the last three tours including Dreamsonic.  I usually have good seats and didn't notice how well attended they were.
 It would be a shame if the last couple of tours were indeed poorly attended and they feel that they need to change the musical direction from what they've done on the last couple of albums.  I love Distance Over Time and A View From The Top Of The World.

You’ve got to be kidding right?  DOT and AVFTTOTW are awful. Totally phoned in garbage.  They didn’t even try with the vocal patterns.
Hope DT actually puts some effort into song writing with Portnoy back.
Like maybe work out songs and write before going into the studio?
Instead of using jam session songs where the vocals are an after thought.
And can someone please take that 7 or 8 string away from Petrucci?
His song writing was so much better when he was with Ibanez.  He is now too dependent on a “heavy” sound thinking that will make up for boring riffs.

Also…please take away the auto tune from Labrie. His vocals are so processed and fake sounding now.
If you can’t sing it…don’t write the vocal pattern or work on your technique.  The auto tune over processed vocals are awful.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #713 on: October 26, 2023, 02:01:11 PM »

I'd like specific recommendations for individual songs for someone like me whose favorite DT era is largely their least popular: SDoIT, ToT, Octavarium, and SC. (Other albums rank as "best" in other categories from a logical standpoint for sure, but for me, in the category of the overall feels they bring back etc, these are it.)

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #714 on: October 26, 2023, 02:02:06 PM »

You rang?  ;)
KISS is so versatile with members etc that the other day someone said something to me that included the statement "Gene Simmons is the lead singer" and I was just like "yeah sometimes" lol.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #715 on: October 26, 2023, 02:06:13 PM »
[all that stuff you said]

oh friend, this won't be a popular post. That said, You are saying some things that I fear I will agree with and I don't want to/hope I don't. There is no shame in aging and being unable to do what you once could. There is some degree of inappropriateness in insisting on pretending you can, in my personal and wholly unprofessional opinion.

I've not been around to see if that generalized statement applies to anyone in DT and I say it for entertainment purposes only, allegedly, all rights reserved, I have no money for anyone suing me, all that jazz.

(edited to try to be even more clear about the fact that I haven't heard anything newer than ADtoE and have no clue how I'll feel, and am not expressing any opinions here at this time.)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 02:29:23 PM by JustJen »

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #716 on: October 26, 2023, 02:07:36 PM »

No need to under react.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #717 on: October 26, 2023, 02:08:20 PM »
DOT and AVFTTOTW are awful. Totally phoned in garbage.  They didn’t even try with the vocal patterns.

He is now too dependent on a “heavy” sound thinking that will make up for boring riffs.

Also…please take away the auto tune from Labrie. His vocals are so processed and fake sounding now.
If you can’t sing it…don’t write the vocal pattern or work on your technique.  The auto tune over processed vocals are awful.

Knock that off.  I know you only post here once every few years, apparently, but as a reminder, while constructive criticism and respectfully discussing what you don't like are absolutely allowed (and encouraged), bashing the band is not. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #718 on: October 26, 2023, 02:09:20 PM »

I'd like specific recommendations for individual songs for someone like me whose favorite DT era is largely their least popular: SDoIT, ToT, Octavarium, and SC. (Other albums rank as "best" in other categories from a logical standpoint for sure, but for me, in the category of the overall feels they bring back etc, these are it.)

Check out:

At Wit's End
Breaking All Illusions
Fall into the Light
Awaken the Master
Transcending Time

Those should all grab ya pretty quickly.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #719 on: October 26, 2023, 02:15:23 PM »

Check out:

At Wit's End
Breaking All Illusions
Fall into the Light
Awaken the Master
Transcending Time

Breaking All Illusions, to me, is the quintessential MM song with the band.  If I had to guess one MM song MP will play, it's that one.

As much as blackmetal may not like modern DT, they did win a Grammy recently so such a harsh negative opinion is not likely viewed by many.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #720 on: October 26, 2023, 02:15:31 PM »

Check out:

At Wit's End
Breaking All Illusions
Fall into the Light
Awaken the Master
Transcending Time

Thanks! Much appreciated! :hat .... man I hope that's the trigger for hat. I still to this day type that in random emails and whatnot and just hope the person I'm typing to knows what it is lol.  edit - awww yeaaah

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #721 on: October 26, 2023, 02:16:27 PM »
I seriously doubt we will get a full performance ever of The Astonishing, but I honestly had the impression that Mangini was a little bored with it, and was just being a pro and a good teammate.  Portnoy may like drumming that stuff better than Mangini did lol.

Mangini sounded bored and uninspired on the album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #722 on: October 26, 2023, 02:21:13 PM »
As for The Astonishing, I would be surprised to see them do the whole thing again (unless they decided to revisit the idea of pulling it out for a one-off or a few shows to record it, but I would assume it would be heavily advertised that way).  But I see no reason they wouldn't do individual songs from it.  I would actually expect them to.  I wouldn't put too much weight on that MP comment that was quoted above.  First off, the context of that comment is important.  That was being said in response to what SOA might do at a time when the idea of MP actually being back in DT and playing DT songs within DT was not on anyone's radar.  It wasn't meant to be taken as "I hate The Astonishing, and if I'm ever back in DT, there's no way I would play anything from it!"  Second, and related, him being back in DT is the difference.  I doubt there is little, if any, Mangini era material that is "off limits" in his mind.  It is DT material, and he is a member of DT again.  And it is pretty clear he does not have any resentment or bad feelings toward Mangini whatsoever.  And a couple of observations about set lists when he was in DT the first time:  (1) He regularly lobbied for songs in the set lists that then-current members did not originally play on, whether it was James singing Another Won or WDADU songs, or Derek playing songs from the first three albums, or Jordan playing songs from the first four albums.  (2) He often brought up songs other members had not played in a long time and had to relearn or songs they had not played at all and had to learn from scratch.  I doubt he would change course now and not apply those two things to himself.  He's a VERY capable drummer and musician, cares about the fans and what would make for a good set, and is a professional.  I'm sure that the vast majority of the Mangini catalog would be fine with him if asked (and there might even be some songs he actively wants to learn and play). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #723 on: October 26, 2023, 02:25:55 PM »
Bosk, I tried to access photobucket today to revisit some early 2004 dt.net memories. Had to pay for access, but once in there saw my original Heat Miser image that you ended up using as an avatar. Once November first hits, maybe you'll consider using it again for old time's sake.. just a thought. Then again my short attention span has to last that long for it to matter. Anyway, good memories. I'm so glad you've been seeing this site through all these years. Couldn't be in better hands.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #724 on: October 26, 2023, 02:26:13 PM »

Check out:

At Wit's End
Breaking All Illusions
Fall into the Light
Awaken the Master
Transcending Time

FOR ME, Trancending Time and Fall Into The Light are two of the perhaps five best Mangini-Era songs.   Great tunes.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 02:35:54 PM by Stadler »

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #725 on: October 26, 2023, 02:28:29 PM »
(...)

Same. My list includes the recent Mr. Bungle reunion, but not much else.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #726 on: October 26, 2023, 02:31:32 PM »
As for The Astonishing, I would be surprised to see them do the whole thing again (unless they decided to revisit the idea of pulling it out for a one-off or a few shows to record it, but I would assume it would be heavily advertised that way).  But I see no reason they wouldn't do individual songs from it.  I would actually expect them to.  I wouldn't put too much weight on that MP comment that was quoted above.  First off, the context of that comment is important.  That was being said in response to what SOA might do at a time when the idea of MP actually being back in DT and playing DT songs within DT was not on anyone's radar.  It wasn't meant to be taken as "I hate The Astonishing, and if I'm ever back in DT, there's no way I would play anything from it!"  Second, and related, him being back in DT is the difference.  I doubt there is little, if any, Mangini era material that is "off limits" in his mind.  It is DT material, and he is a member of DT again.  And it is pretty clear he does not have any resentment or bad feelings toward Mangini whatsoever.  And a couple of observations about set lists when he was in DT the first time:  (1) He regularly lobbied for songs in the set lists that then-current members did not originally play on, whether it was James singing Another Won or WDADU songs, or Derek playing songs from the first three albums, or Jordan playing songs from the first four albums.  (2) He often brought up songs other members had not played in a long time and had to relearn or songs they had not played at all and had to learn from scratch.  I doubt he would change course now and not apply those two things to himself.  He's a VERY capable drummer and musician, cares about the fans and what would make for a good set, and is a professional.  I'm sure that the vast majority of the Mangini catalog would be fine with him if asked (and there might even be some songs he actively wants to learn and play).

I mostly agree with all this. The only ripple would be (assuming things go back to the way they were) is that it’s Mike actually choosing the songs to be played. Now, I’m sure there were times when there were certain songs that one member or another might voice their displeasure of, and maybe it would make a difference. But with one guy choosing the songs to be played, most of the rest of the band would probably lean towards playing along.  But if Mike doesn’t like a song, and he’s choosing the setlist, then it never gets presented to the band in the first place.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #727 on: October 26, 2023, 02:32:20 PM »

No mention of the recent Porcupine Tree shows? For me, that was the best thing to happen to me since getting out of my marriage alive. Still is, even now. I was only three weeks out from my second surgery in under two months at the time that I went to see them basically back to back at both Radio City and The Met in Philly. Cost so much money for two tickets that if two amazingly generous friends hadn't helped me, I would've had to take on debt that would've taken a couple of months to get out from under. I was so happy I cried multiple times. Two of the happiest nights of my life. Spent most of both nights standing on two feet that had just gone through joint replacements, after being non-weight bearing on both for most of the previous 10 weeks. Never been in such happy pain (I'd like to say giving birth was happier pain but in the moment, it was not. lol. That took til later.)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #728 on: October 26, 2023, 02:37:21 PM »

Check out:

At Wit's End
Breaking All Illusions
Fall into the Light
Awaken the Master
Transcending Time

Thanks! Much appreciated! :hat .... man I hope that's the trigger for hat. I still to this day type that in random emails and whatnot and just hope the person I'm typing to knows what it is lol.  edit - awww yeaaah

:tup :tup

No mention of the recent Porcupine Tree shows? For me, that was the best thing to happen to me since getting out of my marriage alive. Still is, even now. I was only three weeks out from my second surgery in under two months at the time that I went to see them basically back to back at both Radio City and The Met in Philly. Cost so much money for two tickets that if two amazingly generous friends hadn't helped me, I would've had to take on debt that would've taken a couple of months to get out from under. I was so happy I cried multiple times. Two of the happiest nights of my life. Spent most of both nights standing on two feet that had just gone through joint replacements, after being non-weight bearing on both for most of the previous 10 weeks. Never been in such happy pain (I'd like to say giving birth was happier pain but in the moment, it was not. lol. That took til later.)

Bill (Stadler) is still a Porcupine Tree denier, but there is always hope that one day he will see the (half) light.  :coolio :coolio

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #729 on: October 26, 2023, 02:37:47 PM »
Bosk, I tried to access photobucket today to revisit some early 2004 dt.net memories. Had to pay for access, but once in there saw my original Heat Miser image that you ended up using as an avatar. Once November first hits, maybe you'll consider using it again for old time's sake.. just a thought. Then again my short attention span has to last that long for it to matter. Anyway, good memories. I'm so glad you've been seeing this site through all these years. Couldn't be in better hands.

Aww, thanks.  :heart:  I don't know if I even have any of those old avatars anymore, but I wouldn't mind bringing some of them back.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #730 on: October 26, 2023, 02:39:16 PM »
Mine is still the same. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #731 on: October 26, 2023, 02:42:09 PM »
Who are you?

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #732 on: October 26, 2023, 02:42:18 PM »

I love that they ran out of E's and were like "fuck it you know what I mean" ;D ... or they genuinely weren't sure if it was ER or RE and figured this bypasses the issue.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #733 on: October 26, 2023, 02:43:29 PM »

a classic

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #734 on: October 26, 2023, 02:43:54 PM »

Bill (Stadler) is still a Porcupine Tree denier, but there is always hope that one day he will see the (half) light.  :coolio :coolio

how is that even possible for someone with ears who appreciates music? Has nobody linked him to the right song yet? There's SO much variety out there, surely something would resonate unless he's just a willful denier.