Author Topic: The TAC Back To School Roulette V.7 Schools Out!!!  (Read 57974 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Back To School Roulette V.7 Foreign Impressions!
« Reply #1960 on: October 12, 2023, 04:57:30 AM »
The current thread title has made me realise that you totally should have translated the first impressions into another language or even the respective languages of each song.

So I actually thought of that. But it would’ve been way too complicated. People have enough problems with Impressions in English.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1961 on: October 12, 2023, 05:02:29 AM »
That's way too much work mate.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1962 on: October 12, 2023, 05:45:31 AM »
Diablo!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1963 on: October 12, 2023, 06:10:40 AM »
That's way too much work mate.  :lol

It wasn’t so much the work but I couldn’t settle on how to execute it and I didn’t want it to be too wonky.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1964 on: October 12, 2023, 12:43:15 PM »
Foreign Language Main Assignment Grades

Puppies: Dordeduh-Descant

The name of this band must be Romanian for Voivod.

This song’s first listen was really its best listen. I like the opening. The song’s first movement through the first 2 minutes is fine ending with the harsh vocals, which were nice because this singer’s voice is a bit dreary. I like the part at 2:14. Some cool drumming and bass, kind of Rush-like. But the song kicks back in, and it’s a tad undynamic, and the singer makes it worse. Nothing to latch onto with him. The song hints at an epic style ending around 6:27, but is takes it down for the spoken wordy finish, which was a but disappointing.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Faizoff: Alien Weaponry-Hatapatu

I feel like I’m stuck in an island of headhunters

I had trouble connecting with this one. I did not really like the vocals, and the native language, I thought of Oh oh Tongo! It was kind of weird, like The Hu. Just not my thing I guess. Unfortunately the music was a bit stompin’, but it never really tied together for me.

Lethean: Solefald-Song Til Stormen

How to say Katatonia in a foreign language

I made the Katatonia crack because this did kind of remind me of them, especially considering the sender. The song is a bit plodding and the vocals are pretty nondescript. But it’s still pretty pleasent, and I wouldn’t rule out listening to more of them.

Reaper: Vulkan-Marans Ritt

This was pleasant but it was over before I knew it.

So this was nice and all, but..it’s kind of just there for me. There were a number of songs that reached out and grabbed me, but this one was content to just move along, albeit at a nice and uppy pace. I didn’t not like the song, but the competition was just too strong for a song like this.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Romdrums: Means End-Nox Aurumque

This is a nice song and this dude has some pipes.

This was really cool. I feel like this was a tough song to start with. I know it’s some sort of cover and I did check out the original choral version. Wow, they did a good job with that. Still, I found the music, while wicked cool in parts, to be a bit overly herky-jerky for my tastes. And holy shit does that dude have some pipes. I do plan on checking them out a bit further. Hopefully it’s not more low tuned jagged riffing.

Jingle Boy: Syu-Cacotopia

This is pretty safe, but it does channel Michael Schenker

So this gave me a slightly different vibe than Galneryus. Thi sis a bit more jagged, maybe riffy, than the smoothness of the Galneryus. The chorus here is nice. I keep feeling there’s something safe here, but I’m not sure that’s even fair. The set up to the solo is cool. The second half of the first solo at 4:28 sounds just like Michael Schenker, and then the outro starting at 5:26…classic Schenker.

Stadler: Sting-Si Estamos Juntos

Very pleasant and the smoothest Spanish in the round so far.

I’m pretty sure I’ve heard this before. Is this a Spanish version of one of his songs? I’m not really a Sting fan. I don’t not like him, I’m just indifferent. But I like this song, and his Spanish is silky smooth. Love the dated sound to this. This is actually a fun song to listen to. Sometimes I feel like he’s too moody, but this is refreshing.

Nick: Heroes Del Silencio-Entre Dos Tierras

Musically it has great pace and is quite nice. Vocally…

So despite its score I did like this song. As far as vocally, I don’t think I had a problem with his voice, but I don’t know if it’s his pronunciation, but he’s kind of annoying. For contrast, Sting sounds so silky smooth with his Spanish, but here, it’s just too jarring. The part at 4:09 is awesome, and that was almost enough to get it into the next tier, except there were just too many songs ahead of it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twosuitsluke: Thy Catafalque-Siraly

This is quite dynamic.

I liked this song. It has a cool build up, and I love seagulls! I could see the ocean from my house as a kid. The female vocals are pretty nice. The build up is teased a bit at 2:10 with some keys, but finally at 2:27, it comes, and is amazing. I love the crunchy and full guitars. And for a second at two around the 2:27 mark, it reminds me of Led Zeppelin’s No Quarter. Love the change at 4:25. Nice and crunchy. Yeah, this song gives me a No Quarter vibe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Glasser: Sacrum-Los Otros

Wow, what a chorus.

Let’s just say that I was extremely worried on my first listen. Was this some sort of disco dance music. There’s a wicked bassline that held me through the verses.  I was about to give up on it, but then out of nowhere comes this overwhelmingly powerful chorus and it totally makes the song. Made me appreciate the set-up even more. There’s a little bit at 3:04 right before the solo that is very cool and the solo is short, but very sweet.

Soupytwist: Powerwolf-Glaubenskraft

I thought Sabaton was banned

This song was a Steady Eddie in this round. It’s a song that had a good first couple of runs but stayed consistent. It has a great vibe to it, and it wouldn’t let me drop it below an 8. This dude has some pipes too.  Nothing really remarkable about it in terms of arrangement or sections, but it’s an epic and fun listen.

Tomislav: Galneryus-Hunting For Your Dream

This is fun metal

The Helloween vibes are strong on this one. Right up my alley.  This is so easy on the ears. The verse and chorus just flow seamlessly. I feel like when I’ve sampled Galneryus, they’ve given me a kind of Dragonforce vibe, but this is way closer to Helloween. Great solo and really a track that sits right in my comfort zone.

Jamesman: Alcest-Faiseurs De Mondes

This band’s second chance could pay off

I’m glad that you resent this band again. Despite its score, I was really intrigued by the last song. This is a style of music that I’ve really taken to in the last few years. Kind of black metal-y with the dissonant vocals. This is luscious music to simply chill to.  As far as the song goes, it gets a second life with the acoustic guitars about 4 and a half minutes through. Maybe a little long for a roulette round like this, but it’s a captivating listen. I am definitely on this band after this roulette.

Ariich: Equilibrium-Die Weide Und Der Flub

Lots I like here, but is the whole greater than the sum of its parts?

Is it possible to like a song, score it relatively well, and still be disappointed with it? So to be clear, I thought this song was excellent, even though it was a bit underwhelming. By that I mean, it comes with a high floor. This song was an 8 from the jump. It has many things I like in my music. It has a cool European flair to it, and harsh vocals I can completely deal with. It has an epic feel to it, if not a bit too busy. I kept waiting for this song to reach out and grab one of the top spots, but it just never did. The fullness level, for lack of a better term….dynamics maybe..stay the same and it doesn’t allow what I think is a great song to breathe.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Lonestar: Dreamcatcher-Good Night

This could possibly be the best thing you’ve sent so far.

So this is a great song. Loved it from the first spin. Really perfect and catchy hard rock. A little disappointed to youtube them I must say. I was hoping to see a hot band and not a bunch of lip synching dancers.  It tried, but it still wasn’t going to influence me on the song. I have no idea what’s behind the curtain but this song is addictive. That little soft break at 2:10 is wonderful. Great song!

Lizzojazzosphere: Night Crowned-Rex Tenebrae

There’s a lot I like about this.

This song was a good call. Believe it or not, I have this album Saved in my Spotify Library, which means I probably sampled it on the day it came out,  liked it and saved it,  and forgot about it. Lots to like here.  To me it breathes a lot more than the Equilibrium song. The parts are all distinct but fit together nicely. The creepy part at 2:12 followed by the heavy double bass pounding. Really sick! Out of nowhere some clean vocals leading into a tremendous sounding solo. Closes out nice and heavy and then a great outro. Gotta dig down on this album for sure.

Kingshmegland: Flor De Loto-Odisea

Jethro Maiden!!

Seriously, Iron Tull! Even with the heavy music, the flute doesn’t seem out of place. This band is faithful to those European melodic lines…Irish, maybe, as I can hear Thin Lizzy and Iron maiden behind them. The production really lets every instrument breathe. The guitar solos seem to go Adrian Smith-Janick Gers.  The mellow part is really classy. The flute adds great atmosphere without being overpowering at all. When the acoustic guitars pick up…man that’s nice. This song is just filled with so many Iron Maiden styled runs. Love it!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Wolfking: Falconer-Svarta Ankan

Wow, that was excellent.

From the first run through of the playlist, the 10 was immediately taken off the board. The intro is excellent, the verse solid, and then the chorus is epic with that European flair that’s been so prevalent this round. That shift at 1:58 and back into the verse was great. The mellow part with the female vocals was fucking classy and that solo…that is 1975 Michael Schenker right there. Fucking tremendous. I feel like the song could’ve ended right around 5:45 but it revs back up because..why the hell not?!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: The TAC Back To School Roulette V.7 Foreign Language Main Assignment Grades!
« Reply #1965 on: October 12, 2023, 01:01:05 PM »
Well slap my ass and call me Sally... didn't expect that. Glad you liked it, now that it's in the books, here's how I discovered that one. Korean hard rock band Rolling Quartz did a cover of this track, they are a complete band and well worth a look into (in my effort to try out new stuff, I avoided sending them in this round)...

Trust me, this is worth 3 minutes of your time...

https://youtu.be/tqokFjk2ePM?si=MEcZRXTXiLuDPQ6Q

I saw these girls in a 200 person club in SF, front row. I still have sleepless nights in memory of this show...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 01:07:47 PM by lonestar »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Back To School Roulette V.7 Foreign Language Main Assignment Grades!
« Reply #1966 on: October 12, 2023, 01:07:07 PM »
Well slap my ass and call me Sally... didn't expect that. Glad you liked it, now that it's in the books, here's how I discovered that one. Korean hard rock band Rolling Quartz did a cover of this track, they are a complete band and well worth a look into (in my effort to try out new stuff, I avoided sending them in this round)...

Trust me, this is worth 3 minutes of your time...

https://youtu.be/tqokFjk2ePM?si=MEcZRXTXiLuDPQ6Q

I saw these girls in a 200 person club in SF, front row. I still have sleepless nights in memory of this show...

Wow, those lyrics are evil.

Yeah, one video showed Dreamcatcher dancing in a mall or something. It was all very disappointing. The song is still aces, so I had to pretend hard that I never saw those videos.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1967 on: October 12, 2023, 01:10:13 PM »
Hmm, "Song Til Stormen" got robbed this time. 

Lizzojazzosphere: Night Crowned-Rex Tenebrae

There’s a lot I like about this.

This song was a good call. Believe it or not, I have this album Saved in my Spotify Library, which means I probably sampled it on the day it came out,  liked it and saved it,  and forgot about it. Lots to like here.  To me it breathes a lot more than the Equilibrium song. The parts are all distinct but fit together nicely. The creepy part at 2:12 followed by the heavy double bass pounding. Really sick! Out of nowhere some clean vocals leading into a tremendous sounding solo. Closes out nice and heavy and then a great outro. Gotta dig down on this album for sure.

Good to see this get a proper score.   :hat   I knew something was suspicious about his taste when Luke gave it a mediocre one.   :sadpanda:

Wolfking: Falconer-Svarta Ankan

The mellow part with the female vocals was fucking classy

Wait, wolfking sent female vocals?   :eek   Did I wake up in a parallel universe?  Is Moonsorrow Puppies' least favorite band?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1968 on: October 12, 2023, 01:14:34 PM »
@ Litho..
I mentioned I had the Night Crowned saved in my Spotify Library. With me Free Listening at work today, I ran through the Night Crowned, Falconer, Flor De Loto, and Galneryus albums.

I think you definitely picked the right song. The rest of that album is pretty harsh, yikes.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1969 on: October 12, 2023, 01:15:03 PM »
 :metal

There's like 3 lines of female vocals, and yes.......it was almost a deal breaker.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1970 on: October 12, 2023, 01:17:38 PM »
I think you definitely picked the right song. The rest of that album is pretty harsh, yikes.

Uh oh...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1971 on: October 12, 2023, 01:19:59 PM »

Uh oh...

Oh that's right, you sent a second song for Extra Credit. I haven't gotten to them yet today, but will in a bit.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1972 on: October 12, 2023, 01:22:38 PM »
Stadler: Sting-Si Estamos Juntos

Very pleasant and the smoothest Spanish in the round so far.

I’m pretty sure I’ve heard this before. Is this a Spanish version of one of his songs? I’m not really a Sting fan. I don’t not like him, I’m just indifferent. But I like this song, and his Spanish is silky smooth. Love the dated sound to this. This is actually a fun song to listen to. Sometimes I feel like he’s too moody, but this is refreshing.

It is in fact a Spanish version of "We'll Be Together" from ...Nothing Like The Sun. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1973 on: October 12, 2023, 01:38:17 PM »
Sweet!  Tim, you must check out their discography!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1974 on: October 12, 2023, 02:23:25 PM »
Boy, I'm glad I didn't send Dordeduh now! I'll take a 7.5. Tim, whenever you have the time check out Meta by Thy Catafalque, it really is special.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1975 on: October 12, 2023, 02:50:32 PM »
Cool score! Like I said, the whole album is an experience. :tup

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1976 on: October 12, 2023, 02:55:19 PM »
Wow....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online twosuitsluke

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online twosuitsluke

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1980 on: October 12, 2023, 03:18:53 PM »
A 7 for something that I've listened to like 4 times in my life (2x in prep for RJ's roulette; and same for this) ...

Good riddance to that round! 

Kade takes it with the ole parable - even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and a while.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online faizoff

« Reply #1981 on: October 12, 2023, 03:28:55 PM »
Can't complain I suppose, still think the song kicks ass. That Maori singing gives the track a lot more kick.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1982 on: October 12, 2023, 03:53:34 PM »
Wow....

Don't let his words hurt you

:lol

It's OK, he's drowning himself in some good whiskey. At least he should be.
Damn straight. I've hit up Clydeside in Glasgow and Obin Distillery already (picked up their Distillery Exclusive). Planning on going to another one in Inverness, then to a Gin distillery in Thurso. Not sure after that.

Also, Tim, I have to ask.....are you sure you listened to the right song? Are you sure you listened to the right band? :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1983 on: October 12, 2023, 04:07:23 PM »
A 7 for something that I've listened to like 4 times in my life (2x in prep for RJ's roulette; and same for this) ...

Good riddance to that round! 

Kade takes it with the ole parable - even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and a while.

I have 2 Falconer albums on CD.  I picked them up years ago dirt cheap and never really listened to them.  It dawned on me that I remember reading they did one whole album in Swedish.  I thought it might have been one I had but I didn't. 

Sampled it and was blown away.  The two albums I have don't even come close to Armod.  Another thing is the guitar tone.  It's incredible and perfectly fits that Petrucci chocolate cake description IMO.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1984 on: October 12, 2023, 04:08:52 PM »
Falconer has some amazing albums. :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1985 on: October 12, 2023, 04:21:39 PM »
Falconer has some amazing albums. :metal

And yet you sent me...

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1986 on: October 12, 2023, 04:31:00 PM »
Boy, I'm glad I didn't send Dordeduh now! I'll take a 7.5. Tim, whenever you have the time check out Meta by Thy Catafalque, it really is special.

I'll have to check that one out at some point myself for that matter, Vadak is the best of theirs I've heard at this point. 

Wow....

Don't let his words hurt you

He should have sent "Pândarul". 

Nah, it's more of his usual M.O., complain that he has nothing to send, and somehow send a round-winner anyway.  ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1987 on: October 12, 2023, 04:33:32 PM »
Here's the Extra Credit who-sent-what:

Puppies: Einkehr-Der Weg einer Freiheit
Romdrums: Vulkan-Marans Ritt
Reaper: Gypsy Kings-Baboleo
Glasser: Manigance-Le Mirage
Lonestar: Jamie-Stay Beautiful
Faizoff: Alien Weaponry-Aha Ka
Lizzojazzosphere: Night Crowned-Manniskans Forfall
Soupytwist: Powerwolf-Stossgebet
Tomislav: Galneryus-Departure!
Jingle Boy-Beautiful Sin-Le Reve Originel
Nick: Elisa-Luce (Tramonti a Nord Est)
Kingshmegland: Arraigo-Mambolindoquilombo
Wolfking: Skalmold-Ydalir
Jamesman: The Warning-Narcisista
Stadler: Sting-Fragilidad
Ariich: Hamferd-Evst
Lethean: Solefald-Raudedauden
Twosuitsluke:Ningen Isu-Yaneura No Samposha

Playlist:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5g6OWRDncEKw26PV5lTNs9?si=356d56f4f5ad41b2
plus J-boys youtube link..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G7nmHWAbEE&pp=ygUVYmVhdXRpZnVsIHNpbiBsZSByZXZl

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1988 on: October 12, 2023, 04:33:51 PM »

Nah, it's more of his usual M.O., complain that he has nothing to send, and somehow send a round-winner anyway.  ;)

I'm not a betting man, however, I would have bet my entire life savings that this comment was going to be coming from you.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1989 on: October 12, 2023, 04:34:46 PM »

I'm not a betting man, however, I would have bet my entire life savings that this comment was going to be coming from you.

Remember, as usual, it starts with Chad.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1990 on: October 12, 2023, 04:44:26 PM »
I need to listen to that Beautiful Sin album again apparently, didn't even remember it having non-English tracks on it. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1991 on: October 12, 2023, 04:45:47 PM »
I need to listen to that Beautiful Sin album again apparently, didn't even remember it having non-English tracks on it.

Just the one from memory.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1992 on: October 12, 2023, 04:46:04 PM »
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 12:14:20 PM by Glasser »

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1993 on: October 12, 2023, 04:51:33 PM »
Sounds like it's Demilich time...

Online nick_z

« Reply #1994 on: October 12, 2023, 04:51:48 PM »
And yet you sent me...

:lol This is perfect

Although I do agree with Puppies (and Luke) that Dordeduh album is very good. I would've thought you'd like the song more.

Nick: Heroes Del Silencio-Entre Dos Tierras

Musically it has great pace and is quite nice. Vocally…

So despite its score I did like this song. As far as vocally, I don’t think I had a problem with his voice, but I don’t know if it’s his pronunciation, but he’s kind of annoying. For contrast, Sting sounds so silky smooth with his Spanish, but here, it’s just too jarring. The part at 4:09 is awesome, and that was almost enough to get it into the next tier, except there were just too many songs ahead of it.

Well, for one thing, the guy is actually from Spain  :biggrin: Nah, I get it, the way he sings can be a bit of an acquired taste. Plus, the Spanish from Spain (Castellano) tends to be a little harsher in pronunciation than, say, from South America. Anyway, for me, it fits the music perfectly. He has that, for lack of better word, passionate approach and attack. Maybe a tad over-dramatic, but that's part of the whole thing. By the way, knowing you appreciated the Idle Hands/Unto Others records...I always thought there is a certain Heroes del Silencio influence in their music (totally unintentional, I presume)...between the vocals (language aside) and those clean, arpeggiated guitars on driving bass and drums.

If you liked the song, though, I would recommend you give a listen to a couple more from that same album...the second and the third are good ones to keep going (Maldito Duende and La Carta). It's good stuff.

Here's the Extra Credit who-sent-what:

Romdrums: Vulkan-Marans Ritt

Isn't this the same song as the main assignment?