Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Judas Priest - Ram It Down
Metallica - ...And Justice for All
Ozzy Osbourne - No Rest for the Wicked
Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
Slayer - South of Heaven
Van Halen - OU812
Other (mention in comments)

Author Topic: Your Favorite Album from 1988  (Read 3345 times)

Offline HOF

Re: Your Favorite Album from 1988
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2023, 09:55:57 AM »
Don't forget Winger's debut album!  ;) :D

First album I thought of!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2023, 09:58:09 AM »
I limited this to metal/metal adjacent primarily because I didn't want to have dozens of options listed.  The "Other" option exists but has only gotten 4 of 38 votes, so....

For me, it's Mindcrime, followed by No Exit and Keeper 2.  Justice is one of the only albums where I hold the production against it, and I think SSOASS is way overrated (with the title track and Moonchild being the only songs worth listening to).

If anyone's wondering who is the sole person voted for Helloween, that was me :lol

I actually thought it might have been Tim.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline HOF

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2023, 10:15:32 AM »
This was my list when we did the year by year rankings a little while back:

1. Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden
2. Crowded House - Temple of Low Men
3. U2 - Rattle and Hum
4. Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
5. King's X - Out of the Silent Planet
6. Winger - Winger
7. Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
8. Van Halen - OU812
9. Prefab Sprout - From Langley Park to Memphis
10. Living Colour - Vivid
11. Bruce Hornsby - Songs from the Southside
12. R.E.M. - Green

So my "other" vote goes to Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2023, 10:16:32 AM »
If anyone's wondering who is the sole person voted for Helloween, that was me :lol
I actually thought it might have been Tim.

My first assumption, until it came to light he voted Winger.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2023, 10:21:37 AM »
My number one is obviously Operation: Mindcrime. My all time favorite album. But 1988 was such a great time for me musically. And Justice for All, No Exit, Keeper Pt. 2, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, and Living Colour: Vivid, all just classics.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline 425

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2023, 10:29:31 AM »
For me, it's Mindcrime, followed by No Exit and Keeper 2.  Justice is one of the only albums where I hold the production against it, and I think SSOASS is way overrated (with the title track and Moonchild being the only songs worth listening to).

This remains, to me, your most jaw-dropping take. If for nothing else, for the mere existence of Infinite Dreams. (But really I think of every song on SSoaSS as at least a 9/10 except for Can I Play With Madness.)

Then again, you’d probably have a similar reaction to my “the only songs on Operation: Mindcrime I care about are I Don’t Believe in Love and Eyes of a Stranger” take.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2023, 10:30:21 AM »

I probably could've guessed that actually. :lol

I would've guessed Tim actually.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2023, 10:42:18 AM »
Mindcrime, but lots of great albums on that list.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2023, 10:50:10 AM »

Then again, you’d probably have a similar reaction to my “the only songs on Operation: Mindcrime I care about are I Don’t Believe in Love and Eyes of a Stranger” take.

Those are the best two songs on it though. 

Offline 425

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2023, 11:02:21 AM »
Glad I care about the right ones, then!
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline pg1067

« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2023, 11:32:35 AM »

This remains, to me, your most jaw-dropping take. If for nothing else, for the mere existence of Infinite Dreams. (But really I think of every song on SSoaSS as at least a 9/10 except for Can I Play With Madness.)

One of these days, someone will have to explain what's so special about Infinite Dreams.  The song starts off as a weird effort to merge metal and lounge lizard music.  Madness is an awful song.  The Evil That Men Do is decent, as is Only the Good Die Young.  The Prophecy and The Clairvoyant are boring as snot.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2023, 12:53:38 PM »

I probably could've guessed that actually. :lol

I would've guessed Tim actually.

I haven't voted yet..

Actually just did and doubled Helloween's vote total!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2023, 12:54:49 PM »

Excellent choice, sir! Very underrated album with a dark underbelly.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2023, 02:11:28 PM »
Run-DMC - Tougher Than Leather, by a nipple over Bon Jovi's New Jersey.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2023, 02:11:55 PM »
Interesting results.

One one hand, it's no surprise that O:M, SSOASS and AJFA have gotten the overwhelming majority of votes (38 of 48 so far).

What I find a little surprising is that only three other albums have gotten votes (not including the 7 "Other" votes):  Keeper has 2, and OU812 and South of Heaven each have one.

Offline HOF

« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2023, 02:30:11 PM »

Excellent choice, sir! Very underrated album with a dark underbelly.

:tup

Yeah, a really strong album with an interesting range of material.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2023, 02:33:19 PM »
Mindcrime.  Even Bruce Dickinson thought it was better than SSoaSS:

Seventh Son really revitalized my enthusiasm. I loved the idea of doing a concept album. It was a great idea. I was probably responsible in a large part for the cover, with Derek. The idea was to do something surreal, a surrealist Eddie. And Derek came up with that, which I was really pleased with. I guess what I found strange is that we took the album to a certain point, and then it never got developed any further. And in the same year, while we were in the midst of mixing or something, I heard some advance tracks from Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime, and was blown away. And I remember thinking, I was driving down a street through a park in Germany and heard these four tracks from Mindcrime, and stopped the car, and sat there with my head in my hands, and thought that they had made the album that we should have made. Seventh Son should be this. And could be this. If we'd only forced it, if we'd only thought it through and sat down and planned it and discussed it. You just don't make a concept album like that in five minutes. You don't just loosely glue a few things together and say okay, that's a concept album. So that was my feeling. I was proud of it, but there was always this thought, God damn it, artistically we were in second place. Review-wise we were as well. In terms of the way the world perceives everything, Mindcrime was a ground-breaking album. And Seventh Son was not quite. For Maiden fans it was, but there was this feeling I had then, that there was this world of Maiden and there was the rest of the world.

https://bravewords.com/features/bravewords-25-flashback-the-alchemical-wizardry-of-bruce-dickinson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2023, 02:44:42 PM »

Seventh Son really revitalized my enthusiasm. I loved the idea of doing a concept album. It was a great idea. I was probably responsible in a large part for the cover, with Derek. The idea was to do something surreal, a surrealist Eddie. And Derek came up with that, which I was really pleased with. I guess what I found strange is that we took the album to a certain point, and then it never got developed any further. And in the same year, while we were in the midst of mixing or something, I heard some advance tracks from Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime, and was blown away. And I remember thinking, I was driving down a street through a park in Germany and heard these four tracks from Mindcrime, and stopped the car, and sat there with my head in my hands, and thought that they had made the album that we should have made. Seventh Son should be this. And could be this. If we'd only forced it, if we'd only thought it through and sat down and planned it and discussed it. You just don't make a concept album like that in five minutes. You don't just loosely glue a few things together and say okay, that's a concept album. So that was my feeling. I was proud of it, but there was always this thought, God damn it, artistically we were in second place. Review-wise we were as well. In terms of the way the world perceives everything, Mindcrime was a ground-breaking album. And Seventh Son was not quite. For Maiden fans it was, but there was this feeling I had then, that there was this world of Maiden and there was the rest of the world.

https://bravewords.com/features/bravewords-25-flashback-the-alchemical-wizardry-of-bruce-dickinson

I was going to ask you when that quote was from..I see you have the link..it was from 1998.

I remember reading an interview with Bruce way back in 1988, where he basically says the same thing.
I don't remember exactly where I read that, but I definitely remember a quote just like that coming out after both albums had been released.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2023, 03:10:52 PM »
Now and Zen - Robert Plant.
Winger - Self titled. Tim's favorite.
Level 42 - Staring at the Sun.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2023, 05:30:42 PM »
We need to convince Tim's wife to get a signed copy of that album for him for their next anniversary  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2023, 06:37:19 PM »
We need to convince Tim's wife to get a signed copy of that album for him for their next anniversary  :biggrin:

It won't happen. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2023, 07:35:17 PM »

Delivered to the house by Kip himself too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2023, 07:43:53 PM »
Tim wouldn't have a chance.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2023, 07:55:41 PM »
It'd be either Yngwie Malmsteen's Odyssey or The Traveling Wilburys Volume 1 for me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2023, 07:57:17 PM »
It'd be either Yngwie Malmsteen's Odyssey or The Traveling Wilburys Volume 1 for me.

I love the dichotomy. 

Offline 425

« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2023, 08:55:23 PM »

One of these days, someone will have to explain what's so special about Infinite Dreams.  The song starts off as a weird effort to merge metal and lounge lizard music.  Madness is an awful song.  The Evil That Men Do is decent, as is Only the Good Die Young.  The Prophecy and The Clairvoyant are boring as snot.

I could make a mirror image statement of my own, where someone would have to explain to me what's so special about pretty much any song on O:M except the two singles and Suite Sister Mary (which I do not like but get why people would).

That Bruce quote Zircon posted is fascinating to me because he's focused entirely on stuff that I think is of secondary importance at best. Could Seventh Son have told more of a coherent, interesting story if they'd put more time into it? Maybe. But musically it's varied, rich, progressive—a real journey. The title track is a full musical experience in itself. Infinite Dreams, to answer the question, also contains a journey by telling a story with the music. You go from the placid calmness of sleep into the heightening anticipation of the nightmare, to the aggressive intensity of the nightmare itself, to the resolution that the protagonist reaches at the end. I think if you took what Maiden did on Seventh Son and tried to beef up the "concept" side of it, you'd actually run a real risk of ruining the magic.

Musically, which is what I think matters most, I think Seventh Son is way more interesting than O:M. And while this is completely a matter of personal preference, I find the story on that album, bare-bones as it is, way more enjoyable than the more fleshed-out O:M story—which I find tasteless and which is an active inducement for me NOT to put in more of an effort to get into the music.

My second choice for this year, since I haven't mentioned that yet, would be AJFA. Depending on the day I might call it Metallica's best album, and it was certainly the most complete one they'd made up to that point.

I should make a point of getting Keeper 2 soon. I like but don't love Keeper 1, but don't have the sequel.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline The Realm

« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2023, 09:07:14 PM »
This list contains 4 of my absolute favourite and most personally influential albums of all time - Mindcrime, Seventh Son, Keeper 2 and Justice. I purchased each of these pretty much on release day on cassette and they literally changed my life. I had to vote for Mindcrime though as it is my absolute favourite but I do dearly love all these albums.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2023, 05:52:14 AM »
As my joint favourite album of all time, Mindcrime.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2023, 07:00:47 AM »

Should have let me know; Winger played the town green here in Enfield a couple weeks ago.  I could have got the autograph. I probably could have had dinner with them given the size of the show. :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2023, 10:18:56 AM »

Do you know specifically where this quote was taken from? Magazine, article title, author, etc.? If so, can you send me the info?

And Bruce really nailed it, honestly. I love Seventh Son, TBH. But it's nowhere near the quality of Operation: Mindcrime. I'd make the argument that Maiden's high points, album-wise, were better than QR for all of the bands' respective careers...EXCEPT for Mindcrime. That record was...is...one of the best albums ever recorded in the metal genre. Seventh Son is simply a really good album.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2023, 01:11:44 PM »
Sam, the link is in the post. It's just small fonted.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2023, 02:49:24 PM »
I have to say that And Justice For All is not really aging that well for me. I listened to it yesterday, as I did a handful of these albums, and I really love half of it (Blackened, One, Frayed Ends, and Dyer's Eve), and am fairly ambivalent to the rest.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2023, 03:05:52 PM »
I have to say that And Justice For All is not really aging that well for me. I listened to it yesterday, as I did a handful of these albums, and I really love half of it (Blackened, One, Frayed Ends, and Dyer's Eve), and am fairly ambivalent to the rest.

Over the last few years Justice is the Metallica album I’ve found myself coming back to more than any other. When we ranked all the Metallica songs recently I realised I really rate every song on the album 5*. The title track, Blackened and To Live is to Die are the best songs on the album for me, just perfection.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2023, 03:15:39 PM »

wow

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2023, 03:23:59 PM »

Bulls-eye, those are the 4 best tracks with Eye and Straw a distance back. Each Metallica album I heard as it was released became my favorite for awhile but Justice is definitely no longer in the discussion. Which is ironic because it may be their best collection of riffs, solos, lyrics, and drums. Drums for sure.

But I voted for it with the SLIGHTEST of margins over SSoaSS and O:M. It’s like razor-thin margins.