Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Judas Priest - Ram It Down
Metallica - ...And Justice for All
Ozzy Osbourne - No Rest for the Wicked
Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
Slayer - South of Heaven
Van Halen - OU812
Other (mention in comments)

Author Topic: Your Favorite Album from 1988  (Read 3292 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Your Favorite Album from 1988
« Reply #105 on: August 03, 2023, 07:48:40 AM »
Interesting, so I guess we're close to the same age then. 

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #106 on: August 03, 2023, 07:51:14 AM »
I was born in 1990. (been a DT fan ever since age 8 btw, got into them quite late, given I discovered progressive music aged 2. Genesis and Yes)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2023, 07:56:43 AM »

Probably conceived while Sade was playing..

I was born in 1990. (been a DT fan ever since age 8 btw, got into them quite late, given I discovered progressive music aged 2. Genesis and Yes)

WTF?  :lol

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #108 on: August 03, 2023, 07:59:30 AM »

Err, maybe not, I mistakenly thought you were referring to the debut.  But I didn't really explore music much until close to junior high, I'm always blown away by the people who seemed to be digging into various artists in early elementary school.  In that period I had a small handful of artists I listened to over and over, and otherwise it was just whatever my parents had on. 

Lol, as far as I know they've never intentionally listened to her or even mentioned her.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2023, 08:03:43 AM »

WTF?  :lol
I wasn't joking. (although my memories don't go back to the point where I know what was playing while I was conceived. My entire family are Sade fans though.)

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2023, 08:08:23 AM »
Dunno if mentioned already (ain't reading all of this), but to me the best album of that year (of the few I know) has to be this mustard-piece:

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2023, 08:09:53 AM »
Yeah it's a nice one, been a long time since I listened to Talk Talk. Interesting band though IMHO.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2023, 09:14:19 AM »
I owned every one of these albums except for Seven Keys 2.  With the exception of Walls of Jericho, I always thought Helloween was too cheesy.

I’m a little surprised that State of Euphoria has zero votes. It’s not their best, but I think it gets overlooked a lot just because it’s the “least best” of the classic Joey-era.

I’ve also always been surprised at the relative hate that No Rest for the Wicked gets. After the subpar Bark at the Moon, and the absolutely insipid Ultimate Sin, I thought Wicked was a fantastic “return to form”…and I’ve made no secret of my opinion on Ozzy(tm), so I don’t say that lightly.

I think State if Euphoria is ok but, regardless, it probably didn’t stand much of a chance as a “favorite of the year” against the available candidates here.

Oh, and count me in as a fan of No Rest! No hate from me :) always enjoyed that one (better than Ultimate Sin, although not as much as Bark at the Moon)

Yeah...I guess I'm always surprised when something gets zero votes, but I don't see a ton of Anthrax talk around here.  Euphoria was the last Anthrax album I bought and one that I didn't replace on CD when I dumped my vinyl records.  I remember it being very meh, and looking at the track list, I remember about three songs, and they were no better than ok.  As for Ozzy, I LOVE Bark.  Sin isn't great, but it has a couple good songs.  No Rest was pretty awful, and Zack Wyld ruined Ozzy for me
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #113 on: August 03, 2023, 09:24:28 AM »
I owned every one of these albums except for Seven Keys 2.  With the exception of Walls of Jericho, I always thought Helloween was too cheesy.

I’m a little surprised that State of Euphoria has zero votes. It’s not their best, but I think it gets overlooked a lot just because it’s the “least best” of the classic Joey-era.

I’ve also always been surprised at the relative hate that No Rest for the Wicked gets. After the subpar Bark at the Moon, and the absolutely insipid Ultimate Sin, I thought Wicked was a fantastic “return to form”…and I’ve made no secret of my opinion on Ozzy(tm), so I don’t say that lightly.

I think State if Euphoria is ok but, regardless, it probably didn’t stand much of a chance as a “favorite of the year” against the available candidates here.

Oh, and count me in as a fan of No Rest! No hate from me :) always enjoyed that one (better than Ultimate Sin, although not as much as Bark at the Moon)

Yeah...I guess I'm always surprised when something gets zero votes, but I don't see a ton of Anthrax talk around here.  Euphoria was the last Anthrax album I bought and one that I didn't replace on CD when I dumped my vinyl records.  I remember it being very meh, and looking at the track list, I remember about three songs, and they were no better than ok.  As for Ozzy, I LOVE Bark.  Sin isn't great, but it has a couple good songs.  No Rest was pretty awful, and Zack Wyld ruined Ozzy for me
Interestingly, State Of Euphoria is the only Megadeth album I own (because Mike Mangini recommended it during an interview with him) and I don't hate it. I also don't hate No Rest, but my favourite guitarists with Ozzy were Randy Rhoads and Steve Vai and Jeff Beck in no order (yes, Steve Vai appears on Ozzmosis, as does Rick Wakeman and Jeff Beck appeared on Patient Number 9.) Jeff Beck and Steve Vai are among my favourite guitarists in history. (as is John of course and as is Steve Lukather)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #114 on: August 03, 2023, 10:55:14 AM »

Interestingly, State Of Euphoria is the only Megadeth album I own (because Mike Mangini recommended it during an interview with him) and I don't hate it. I also don't hate No Rest, but my favourite guitarists with Ozzy were Randy Rhoads and Steve Vai and Jeff Beck in no order (yes, Steve Vai appears on Ozzmosis, as does Rick Wakeman and Jeff Beck appeared on Patient Number 9.) Jeff Beck and Steve Vai are among my favourite guitarists in history. (as is John of course and as is Steve Lukather)

Hate to break it to you, but by all accounts, Van wrote "My Little Man" but doesn't appear musically on the record; the guitars are all Zakk Wylde.

I think No Rest is underrated, personally.  I can't STAND "Crazy Babies" (I can't stand that sing-song way he sings that song), but Fire In The Sky and Hero are world class Ozzy tracks. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #115 on: August 03, 2023, 12:00:36 PM »
I like No Rest for the Wicked a lot, but I think they perfected that sound and songs on the next album, which is not from 1988.   :metal

Offline dparrott

« Reply #116 on: August 03, 2023, 02:21:52 PM »
Justice vs. He's The DJ I'm The Rapper.  Hmmmmm.....
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #117 on: August 03, 2023, 03:45:14 PM »
Damn..."Other" has overtaken SSOASS!

Anyone want to make a suggestion for the next year we do (note that I probably won't go into the 21st century with these)?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline nick_z

« Reply #118 on: August 03, 2023, 03:51:11 PM »
How about 1993?

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #119 on: August 03, 2023, 05:36:03 PM »
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline 425

« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2023, 07:11:07 PM »
I’m good with whatever year you want to do, but obviously from a metal perspective 1984 feels like an interesting one.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2023, 02:55:09 AM »
I’m good with whatever year you want to do, but obviously from a metal perspective 1984 feels like an interesting one.

For me, any year we do from 83-89 is gonna be a thrash album.