Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Judas Priest - Ram It Down
Metallica - ...And Justice for All
Ozzy Osbourne - No Rest for the Wicked
Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
Slayer - South of Heaven
Van Halen - OU812
Other (mention in comments)

Author Topic: Your Favorite Album from 1988  (Read 3295 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Your Favorite Album from 1988
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2023, 03:54:54 PM »
Sam, the link is in the post. It's just small fonted.

Got it. Thanks Tim!

I have to say that And Justice For All is not really aging that well for me. I listened to it yesterday, as I did a handful of these albums, and I really love half of it (Blackened, One, Frayed Ends, and Dyer's Eve), and am fairly ambivalent to the rest.

Funny, because it is the exact opposite for me. That record is still my favorite Metallica release. There's a technicality to it that pushes it way ahead of Puppets, and a darkness that just appeals.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2023, 04:04:55 PM »
I have to say that And Justice For All is not really aging that well for me. I listened to it yesterday, as I did a handful of these albums, and I really love half of it (Blackened, One, Frayed Ends, and Dyer's Eve), and am fairly ambivalent to the rest.

Funny, because it is the exact opposite for me. That record is still my favorite Metallica release. There's a technicality to it that pushes it way ahead of Puppets, and a darkness that just appeals.

Interesting question.  My top 12 Metallica songs is a mix of the big three albums, with each group of three containing one song from each album:

1. RTL (Creep)
2. AJFA (Black)
3. MOP (MOP)

4. RTL (Ktulu)
5. AJFA (Dyers)
6. MOP (Battery)

7. MOP (Damage)
8. AJFA (Straw)
9. RTL (Fade)

10. MOP (Sanitarium)
11. RTL (Bell)
12. AJFA (Sanity)

Any margins between the three albums are paper thin.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2023, 04:22:26 PM »
I don't have it broken down by that, but my ranking is:

1. AJFA
2. MoP
3. RtL

But the margin between those album is pretty thin. I'd say something like 9.9, 9.8, 9.5. (Out of 10.) Just off the top of my head.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline 425

« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2023, 04:25:09 PM »
AJFA has grown well for me over time, although "time" for me doesn't go as far back as 1988. To mention a couple of the songs that haven't come up, To Live Is To Die remains one of my favorite Metallica songs, and I think Harvester of Sorrow deserves more attention than it gets.

My top Metallica albums are a near-interchangeable trio of RtL, AJFA and TBA. If I could cut Load down to a similar length as those three, it might be #1. As I've said here before, I have significant problems with MoP, which I think is just way weaker than the albums before or after it from a melodic perspective.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline pg1067

« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2023, 05:50:21 PM »
I don't have it broken down by that...

I checked the list I submitted when Kev did the Metallica song ranking and found it amusing that it broke that way.  Obviously not intentional.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline nick_z

« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2023, 06:26:15 PM »
MOP is undoubtedly number one for me, but AJFA and RTL always fight it off for second place.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2023, 07:23:35 PM »
So, I still rate Justice pretty high, as I ranked the 4 songs I listed in my Top 10 in Kev's Metallica Top 50 countdown. I think the title track came in at 42 or 43.
So there's a huge halo effect on this album for me, and I'm becoming more aware of it as time goes by.
I've never liked Harvester Of Sorrow, and I think To Live Is To Die is such a waste of time. It's like listening to some doomy jam.

If anything, Master Of Puppets is aging much better. But I'm still a Kil 'Em All guy at heart.

After Helloween, my most listened to 1988 album is Megadeth's So Far So Good So What. I know it's a quick listen, but I love every minute of it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2023, 07:29:27 PM »
After Helloween, my most listened to 1988 album is Megadeth's So Far So Good So What. I know it's a quick listen, but I love every minute of it.

So Far So Good...is a bit of a mystery to me. I know many fans (including you, obviously  :)) that hold it in very high regard, but I find it to be a pretty significant step down from Peace Sells. Every time I revisit it, I'm thinking I might change my mind, but it never quite clicks...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2023, 07:38:07 PM »

So Far So Good...is a bit of a mystery to me. I know many fans (including you, obviously  :)) that hold it in very high regard, but I find it to be a pretty significant step down from Peace Sells. Every time I revisit it, I'm thinking I might change my mind, but it never quite clicks...

I knew their first two albums, but they never clicked with me. I saw them opening for Alice on the Peace Sells tour, but I don't know...there was something missing, although I remember being fixated on Gar.

I happened to see Megadeth on the first night of their SFSGSW tour (Dio/Megadeth/Savatage (12/27/87) a couple of weeks before the album came out, and I really enjoyed their performance a lot more. I bought SFSGSW and it was that album that they finally clicked with me. It just feels a bit tighter, a bit cleaner, though on Rust In Peace, both of those qualities still improved exponentially.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2023, 10:18:38 PM »
So, I still rate Justice pretty high, as I ranked the 4 songs I listed in my Top 10 in Kev's Metallica Top 50 countdown. I think the title track came in at 42 or 43.
So there's a huge halo effect on this album for me, and I'm becoming more aware of it as time goes by.
I've never liked Harvester Of Sorrow, and I think To Live Is To Die is such a waste of time. It's like listening to some doomy jam.

I think one of my unusual Metallica opinions is that I almost always like them better when they’re slower. My favorite 80s songs are the three instrumentals, I think in the reverse of the popular opinion (TLITD > Ktulu > Orion) which also corresponds to how heavily they focus on slow, towering riffs.

Then my next favorites mostly come from either the group of ballads or the group of slower to mid-tempo songs. My top three on each 80s album is probably:

KEA: Four Horsemen/Jump in the Fire/Metal Militia
RTL: Ktulu/Bellz/Fade
MoP: Orion/Thing/Leper Messiah
AJFA: TLITD/One/Harvester or title track (too close to call)

Then on TBA, my favorites are something like Unforgiven/Sad But True/Misery

Finally, a significant part of my Load/Reload love probably has to do with liking how much they leaned into the slower stuff on those albums with stuff like Bleeding Me, House Jack Built, Memory Remains and Fixxxer.

I’m not a big Megadeth guy, even though I listened to them a fair amount when I was 15/16. (I now find Mustaine’s vocals and lyrics obnoxious). Even when I did listen to them, SFSGSW never really rated high for me as an album. But In My Darkest Hour is undeniable, and Hook in Mouth is pretty good if you ignore the Mustaine silliness of it all.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2023, 04:36:01 AM »
Just listened to Seventh Son for the first time in close to 20 years. I’m far from an Iron Maiden fan but it’s a pretty good metal album.

However, I think Can I Play with Madness is terribly dated and just a subpar song. I remember that it was one of the first Maiden songs I ever heard, and man I thought that chorus was so cheesy. That song alone formed my first impression of the band and was part of the reason I wrote them off for so long. The rest of the album is pretty good though.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2023, 09:38:41 AM »
Just listened to Seventh Son for the first time in close to 20 years. I’m far from an Iron Maiden fan but it’s a pretty good metal album.

However, I think Can I Play with Madness is terribly dated and just a subpar song. I remember that it was one of the first Maiden songs I ever heard, and man I thought that chorus was so cheesy. That song alone formed my first impression of the band and was part of the reason I wrote them off for so long. The rest of the album is pretty good though.

We had a great metal station in soCal at that time, and they were geeking pretty hard for the new Maiden song, which they'd be premiering whenever it was.  CIPWM came on, and we were like, "ummm...what?"  I don't know what they were thinking having that as the lead single from the album.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2023, 10:12:18 AM »

Musically it’s not terrible and the solo section is pretty dam good, shame the chorus just completely ruins it for me.
We had a great metal station in soCal at that time, and they were geeking pretty hard for the new Maiden song, which they'd be premiering whenever it was.  CIPWM came on, and we were like, "ummm...what?"  I don't know what they were thinking having that as the lead single from the album.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2023, 01:43:32 PM »
If anyone's wondering who is the sole person voted for Helloween, that was me :lol

I probably could've guessed that actually. :lol

I would've guessed Tim actually.

I haven't voted yet..

Actually just did and doubled Helloween's vote total!

Make it 3.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2023, 01:52:29 PM »
since I chose other, I should mention them: Toto: The Seventh One, Sade: Stronger Than Pride, Tori Amos: Y Kant Tori Read (in no order, you can only have Toto make the cut, I won't mind), although I really love OU812 (and Skyscraper) as well
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline 425

« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2023, 01:54:19 PM »

The lead single should definitely have been The Evil That Men Do.

I like Can I Play With Madness, but it would fall well into the lower half of my Maiden rankings, and I won't argue with anyone who says it was a misstep. (I will argue with saying that about any of the other seven songs.)
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2023, 02:17:06 PM »

The lead single should definitely have been The Evil That Men Do.

I like Can I Play With Madness, but it would fall well into the lower half of my Maiden rankings, and I won't argue with anyone who says it was a misstep. (I will argue with saying that about any of the other seven songs.)

We used to sing "Can I Make A Sandwich!"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2023, 02:19:54 PM »
what was your favourite sandwich filling?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2023, 02:20:09 PM »
Can I Play With Madness sucked in 1988. It has always sucked.

Offline 425

« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2023, 03:08:44 PM »

My brother initially heard it as "Can I Play With Magnets" and that one has lived rent-free for me ever since.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2023, 03:21:05 PM »
Maiden and ICP, the collab we never realized we all needed. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2023, 03:57:29 PM »

My brother initially heard it as "Can I Play With Magnets" and that one has lived rent-free for me ever since.

We went with "Can I Play with Matches?!"

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2023, 04:12:08 PM »
Sade: Stronger Than Pride

It's worth highlighting this as well.  It's one of her weaker albums, but it's still great, especially the opening trio of tunes. 

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2023, 06:50:32 PM »
Sade: Stronger Than Pride

It's worth highlighting this as well.  It's one of her weaker albums, but it's still great, especially the opening trio of tunes.
Sade is one of those artists I've always meant to give a try, but never got around to. Which album do you suggest to start with?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2023, 07:11:27 PM »
My brother saw her live snd said it was as good as sex.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2023, 07:59:31 PM »
Haha, actually, Lovers Live may very well be the best starting point.  I'm not generally a big fan of live albums, but that one is phenomenal.  But if you insist on a studio album, I'd say Love Deluxe is the most consistent, while Promise has the highest highs for me. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2023, 08:02:25 PM »
My brother saw her live snd said it was as good as sex.

'She was really good' would've sufficed. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2023, 08:06:18 PM »
That's not what he told me. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline WardySI

« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2023, 12:36:58 AM »
1. Queensryche Mindcrime
2. Maiden Seventh Son
3. Noiseworks Touch
4. Van Halen OU812
5. Fates No Exit

Of which those top3 remain in my personal Top10 to this day so suffice to say 88 was a good year  ;D

Offline jammindude

« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2023, 12:51:43 AM »
I owned every one of these albums except for Seven Keys 2.  With the exception of Walls of Jericho, I always thought Helloween was too cheesy.

I’m a little surprised that State of Euphoria has zero votes. It’s not their best, but I think it gets overlooked a lot just because it’s the “least best” of the classic Joey-era.

I’ve also always been surprised at the relative hate that No Rest for the Wicked gets. After the subpar Bark at the Moon, and the absolutely insipid Ultimate Sin, I thought Wicked was a fantastic “return to form”…and I’ve made no secret of my opinion on Ozzy(tm), so I don’t say that lightly.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline nick_z

« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2023, 04:48:35 AM »
I owned every one of these albums except for Seven Keys 2.  With the exception of Walls of Jericho, I always thought Helloween was too cheesy.

I’m a little surprised that State of Euphoria has zero votes. It’s not their best, but I think it gets overlooked a lot just because it’s the “least best” of the classic Joey-era.

I’ve also always been surprised at the relative hate that No Rest for the Wicked gets. After the subpar Bark at the Moon, and the absolutely insipid Ultimate Sin, I thought Wicked was a fantastic “return to form”…and I’ve made no secret of my opinion on Ozzy(tm), so I don’t say that lightly.

I think State if Euphoria is ok but, regardless, it probably didn’t stand much of a chance as a “favorite of the year” against the available candidates here.

Oh, and count me in as a fan of No Rest! No hate from me :) always enjoyed that one (better than Ultimate Sin, although not as much as Bark at the Moon)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2023, 06:24:26 AM »

I disagree with almost every word of this post.  :lol

Although I do agree that State Of Euphoria is the least best.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2023, 06:34:12 AM »
Haha, actually, Lovers Live may very well be the best starting point.  I'm not generally a big fan of live albums, but that one is phenomenal.  But if you insist on a studio album, I'd say Love Deluxe is the most consistent, while Promise has the highest highs for me.
Bring Me Home Live is as good as Lovers Live (even more precise). All of their albums are all killer no filler to me, precise and musical to the t. (Even their B-sides. Then again I'm a lifelong fan of them. I attended their 2011 tour three times. They were the best concerts I've ever attended, bar none (up there with Mangini era DT in 2014, 2016 and 2017 and all the Toto shows I attended and Peter Gabriel in 2014.) I'm insanely hard to impress. Sade did. (My selection also will tell you that I'm not much of a metal fan or listener)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2023, 07:25:19 AM »
Bring Me Home Live is as good as Lovers Live (even more precise). All of their albums are all killer no filler to me, precise and musical to the t. (Even their B-sides. Then again I'm a lifelong fan of them. I attended their 2011 tour three times. They were the best concerts I've ever attended, bar none (up there with Mangini era DT in 2014, 2016 and 2017 and all the Toto shows I attended and Peter Gabriel in 2014.) I'm insanely hard to impress. Sade did. (My selection also will tell you that I'm not much of a metal fan or listener)

Certainly a great choice as well.  I like the more prominent reverb in the mix, but it axes "Somebody Already Broke My Heart" (probably my second favorite song of her's) for a number of cuts from the just released at the time Soldier of Love, which I consider her weakest album (although "Skin" is the best track from it on there). 

And some of it is probably nostalgia.  Sade is one of my longest-running favorite artists.  She's easily the biggest discovery from my smooth jazz radio listening days in the mid-late 90s in late elementary school.  But when Lovers Live came out on DVD I watched it a bunch of times, it pulled me away from all the power metal I was otherwise overdosing on at the time. 

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #104 on: August 03, 2023, 07:37:18 AM »
I literally was exposed to their music while in the womb (as some might know who followed my since abandoned musical autobiographical thread a while back. Hey Stadler, how about I should resurrect it as it were? Had to abandon it for various reasons at some point, mostly health reasons)