Author Topic: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Post-Roulette Playlist)  (Read 120702 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Round 2 Early Impressions:

1:  This does way more with one note than it should be legal to get away with. 

2:  Some delightful and dreamy ideas are teased, but there's not quite enough payoff.  I think (hope) the album might be better than the song. 

3:  soupytwist - mew - "Comforting Sounds" - The layering and building of the arrangement is really cool, but the vocals aren't vibing with me. 

4:  This is a sparse arrangement done right. 

5:  Puppies_On_Acid - Ne Obliviscaris - "Forget Not" - The first third is magnificent, but the middle section is a bit fatiguing due to overuse of [redacted], and the final third doesn't quite make up for it. 

6:  This incorporates a risky musical element, but makes more judicious use of it than several other songs did, making it feel more earned. 

7:  HOF - Yaatri - "Vipassana" - Am I in heaven?  I don't know how you figured out how to combine elements of all three songs, but you did. 

8:  The presence of a certain entity from the previous round might have been risky if you read all the writeups, but this might circumvent it. 

9:  Not enough double bass. 

10:  This excels in combining two of my songs, while bringing in an element I'm not sure you knew I liked, but definitely makes this selection stand out. 

11:  TAC - Altherya - "In Flanders Fields" - Definitely on the more tenuous of connections to the round themes, but it does check a few boxes, and a good song is a good song. 

12:  There is a lot of interest going on instrumentally, but I think the vocals are going to sink this one. 

13:  Is Alec Baldwin about to take the stage? 

14:  I suspected that this person had this kind of range, but this demonstrably proves it. 

15:  romdrums - GoGo Penguin - "Seven Sons of Bjorn" - The piano work here is excellent, but I'm not sure it's going to make up for the missed opportunity regarding another instrument with unactualized potential. 

16:  This would be a mess if amateurs tried to create it. 

17:  Another song that's a bit further out from the round selections, but has some intriguing keyboard textures. 

18:  Hey look, some vocal falsettos I don't mind. 

19:  This does more with some risky musical elements than many similar songs I've heard, but I'm not sure it's going to be quite enough to gain a leg up on the competition.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 07:48:53 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
2?

Offline Lethean

I take it 16 was a no for mine?

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
5?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

Offline Nachtmerrie

2, 10 or 14?

Offline Tomislav95

Is mine 12?
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
No to those. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Let's go slackers! Don't you know your own songs?? ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Guessing 2, 12 (barely) or 17.

I'm not really into guessing first impressions from 19 songs tbh.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
None of those. 

Let's go slackers! Don't you know your own songs?? ;D

Luke would tell me I don't.   :laugh:

Offline Lethean

Does mine have a risky element?  I have no idea what that would be though.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Nope. 

Offline Lethean

Ok, how about 9.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
No. 

I wonder if there's a precedent for giving hints.  I'll try one here, think about what my meta expectations of your submission could have been. 

Offline Lethean

I actually never told anyone who the first impressions were for ahead of time.  I just included them with my write-ups for the results, and I did it that way because that's how it was done in the roulettes I participated in before running mine.  I'm not sure when people started revealing the impressions ahead of time.

But I have no idea what your expectations for mine would have been... Something as good as Katatonia every round? But that's impossible. :)

Offline Lethean

I'll be optimistic this time and guess 10?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Still not it.

I kind of like how having impressions in-between keeps people engaged a bit more in the interim of wrapping up hangman and posting results.  And also apparently frustrates them a bit!  Oh well.  If we didn't have them there'd be more days of downtime and dead air while I rack up additional listens and work on the writeups.  Maybe not a huge deal if you only have half a dozen participants, shorter songs, and only listened to each song a couple of times each, but I enjoy digging a bit deeper, and hopefully others appreciate it as well. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I tried to keep my rounds on a fairly tight schedule. I'd want all songs submitted by the end of the weekend so I could launch Hangman after work on Monday. Maybe Sunday night if I had them all.
I'd keep that up for no more than 48 hours, that way I could put up First Impressions Wednesday and run those for 24 hours until Thursday.
On Thursday, I might drop some tidbits as I liked to get my scores up on Friday after work. I'd also start calling for the next round's songs to be submitted so we can keep things on track.
But I would start listening as soon as the current round's scores were posted. I'd usually have at least one listen in by the time I posted the next round's Hangman on Sunday night or Monday.

To me, the best engagement is a steady pace, and NO, I AM NOT DIRECTING THAT AT ANYONE!!!!  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Yeah, though that works better for roulettes with a more standardized format that you can plan for weeks ahead of time.  I've intentionally added an element of the unknown, which means people can't really properly plan anything for half a dozen of the rounds until I reveal the topic songs.  Then there's time for people to listen to those and decide among their options.  This all slows things down a bit, but hopefully makes things more interesting and unique. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's definitely interesting and unique. I'm ready for next round's Mystery Songs.  ;D

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I suppose this is also a good time to mention that the next round, being third in the cycle, doesn't have the mystery songs.  So it'll be up to 15 minutes of music from one artist instead of just one song.  You can send anytime after I post results for the current round in the next few days.  But of course it might benefit you to see if anything in the writeups sways your selections in a different direction.  Then again, I'm not going to be surprised if certain people send particular artists regardless of what I have to say.  :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh, so any 15 minutes of music from one artist, no gimmicks? Cool, I'll start working on that.

And nothing you say in the current round's writeups will sway me into anything.  :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Well, I would think it should, at least potentially.  I'm the newest roulette "regular", and this is the first time on this side of one, so unless people have been paying unusually close attention to my other posts, my likes and dislikes have to be more of an unknown quantity than the vast majority of other roulette hosts.  But some people just have particular music they want heard regardless of whether they think it'll score well with me in particular, and that's ok too. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's extremely rare for me to read comments on other songs. Usually the more I think the worse I do.  :lol

Offline Lethean

2?

Offline Lethean

Well, I would think it should, at least potentially.  I'm the newest roulette "regular", and this is the first time on this side of one, so unless people have been paying unusually close attention to my other posts, my likes and dislikes have to be more of an unknown quantity than the vast majority of other roulette hosts.  But some people just have particular music they want heard regardless of whether they think it'll score well with me in particular, and that's ok too.

This is me.  I send my favorite stuff that's not banned because I like sharing what I love.  Probably why I've never won a roulette, but I'm Ok with that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

This is me. 

Yeah, no shit!  :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
It's extremely rare for me to read comments on other songs. Usually the more I think the worse I do.  :lol

I dunno if it was you, but I think I mentioned in some other roulette or thread that I'm also not sure whether it's a difference of personality, or you just being a more seasoned/jaded? roulette veteran and in a different stage of participation.  I'm still hoping to win one and need all the edge on the competition I can get, you've already won 6 and may not care whether you win more. 

2?

Nope.  It'll definitely make sense once it's revealed though. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I dunno if it was you, but I think I mentioned in some other roulette or thread that I'm also not sure whether it's a difference of personality, or you just being a more seasoned/jaded? roulette veteran and in a different stage of participation.  I'm still hoping to win one and need all the edge on the competition I can get, you've already won 6 and may not care whether you win more. 

Nah, I'm not jaded. I've done shitty in plenty of roulettes. It's the half dozen 2nd place finishes that are crushing,.

My experience would tell you that overthinking it can be maddening. A good song is generally a good song no matter who the host is. Anything has the ability to work in a vacuum of a roulette round. For one roulette where I wasn't sure of the host's tastes, I checked out all of the songs this particular host sent in two other roulettes to other people, and tried to model my selections after those. I failed miserably.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
i mean activity is probably low right now because it is the holiday season and everyone's busy

i am everyone  :corn

Offline Lethean

1?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I guess you'll eventually get it just by process of elimination.   :smiley:

Offline Lethean

That's what I'm doing. :)