Author Topic: Metal Church is back!! UPDATE RIP MIKE HOWE!  (Read 7667 times)

Online faizoff

Re: Metal Church is back!! UPDATE RIP MIKE HOWE!
« Reply #105 on: May 26, 2023, 03:01:14 PM »
TBH I thought this thread update might have been about the recent passing of Kirk Arrington    R.I.P.     :sad:

Had no idea he passed away too. That sucks.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2023, 10:37:29 AM »
I can't put this record down. I really feel like it's THAT good. Lopes was a great addition to the band, and this album comes in hitting hard. Really forcing myself to NOT play it in order to play some other stuff that has come out recently.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2023, 11:00:25 AM »
 :metal    Pick a God and Prey!   :metal

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: September 26, 2023, 03:44:25 PM »
Seeing Metal Church this week. Excited for the show. A bit annoyed it looks like the setlist is small, however. Fourteen songs in Vegas, with 10 from the first two records, two from Hanging in the Balance, and just two from the new one.

I was really hoping we'd get four or five from the new one. But I'm excited to see the band. I only saw them one time previously, with Ronny Munroe fronting them. It was a good show. The new guys is really talented, and I love the new MC album. So hoping we get another song or two.

But three opening acts. Ugh.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Online nick_z

« Reply #109 on: September 26, 2023, 08:19:20 PM »
Seeing Metal Church this week. Excited for the show. A bit annoyed it looks like the setlist is small, however. Fourteen songs in Vegas, with 10 from the first two records, two from Hanging in the Balance, and just two from the new one.

I was really hoping we'd get four or five from the new one. But I'm excited to see the band. I only saw them one time previously, with Ronny Munroe fronting them. It was a good show. The new guys is really talented, and I love the new MC album. So hoping we get another song or two.

Have fun!

Surprised they have no songs from Blessing in Disguise and/or Human Factor. I mean, the first is fantastic, but I always thought The Dark was a step down. But anything from Hanging in the Balance is a plus (for me)

Haven't really checked out the most recent one yet. I had really enjoyed the comeback with Mike Howe, but the next one left me a bit cold. I'll have to listen to the new one.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2023, 08:21:22 PM »

This is why I didn't consider this show.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2023, 08:50:26 AM »

This is why I didn't consider this show.

That's unfortunate, because Metal Church was really good. Saw them last night. The new stuff sounded great, and Marc Lopes did a good job on the David Wayne era material and the two songs from Mike Howe's era.

The Mrs. and I tried to time it so we'd miss at least the first local act. We grabbed dinner down the street, walked in the venue about 7:30, and sadly, the first band was only a song or two into their set. Not really my thing. There was a woman from the Ukraine singing, and she did death growls most of the time. A stereotypical type of thing. Then the next band got on, and had a "singer" with the worst stage charisma I have ever seen. We were unimpressed.

The direct support act, The Bites, were actually very good. This just isn't the right tour or crowd for them. They have a vibe very much like The Struts, or The Darkness, if folks are familiar with those two acts. The Bites were energetic and engaging and had a really good set. I talked to the singer and bass player, and they appreciated the comparisons, and said they were close with The Struts. So hopefully, they tour together at some point. I saw The Struts open for the Foo Fighters years back, and they were good. Not my typical musical interest, but good enough for me to be up for seeing them again, particularly if they brought The Bites along. They are based out of LA. If they come back, I'll certainly check them out. Just not a good pairing musically with Metal Church, given the crowd. However, you can tell Kurdt Vanderhoof picked them personally. We saw him before Metal Church's set go back to the merch stand The Bites had, and say how much he loved their set and he bought a shirt. I passed on merch, but I may go check out their material digitally.

Speaking of merch, Metal Church is making a mistake. When we got there, no one was at MC's merch booth. It was covered, with two t-shirts. One of the new album cover, and another with the standard "METAL CHURCH" band name. Neither had tour dates, which sucked. $30. I wanted one of the new record cover, and I waited, but no one showed up. Finally, after The Bites set, I saw someone come and start opening up the MC stuff for sale. They could have made a ton more money had they been there selling at 7:30. Oh well. I got my shirt, and happy to have it, but wish it had tour dates. Not sure why they didn't put dates on it. Maybe to be careful in case of cancelations or something.

When Metal Church came on, looking around, there were sadly only about 150 people. My videos don't show the crowd except for the front couple of rows, but there weren't many people at all. Not unexpected for a Wednesday night in a sleep suburb. But those who were there rocked hard with them and knew all the songs, which was cool. This was the first time Mrs. Samsara and I have been at this venue since it was re-christened as Goldfield Trading Post. We went to this location for lunch like 10 years ago, maybe more, when it was Sammy Hagar's place. But this was the first time for a show (we had tickets to like four shows there, two got canceled, and we missed two). But I have to say, it is set up very conveniently. Free parking, restaurants, easy in, easy out. My one complaint is the wood floor. We sat up in the bar (but had a clear view, as "front row" in the bar) just to avoid being on that hard floor for four hours. Wise choice.

Song-wise, not unexpected, MC played 10 songs from their first two records. I have to admit, that's a bit of a bummer for me. I am a big fan of the Mike Howe era. Blessing in Disguise is probably my favorite record by them (although it badly needs a remix and remaster). Thankfully, they did my favorite track, "Badlands," and another staple, "Fake Healer." I really enjoy the new record, Congregation of Annihilation, but they only played two from it, which sucked. "Pick a God and Prey," and "Me the Nothing." I recorded all four of these tracks, plus "Beyond the Black" from the David Wayne era. Playlist is here if folks want to watch:

Metal Church - Live at Goldfield Trading Post - September 27, 2023 - https://www.youtube.com/@nexuschord/playlists

Really a bummer they only played 75/80 minutes. Looking back to the last time I saw them (with Ronny Munroe) in 2014, they played the same time, so I should have expected it. But I wasn't as familiar with the material back then as I am now. But that seems to be MC's thing. 75/80 minutes. Apparently I also saw "Badlands" and "Fake Healer" then, which probably prompted me to go get the MC catalog. So they are commonly-played tunes.

We didn't stay after the show, but MC said they'd be happy to hang at the merch booth and take pics and sign anything folks wanted. So that was cool. A tip of the cap to them. So many bands use the VIP thing to make more money (which I totally get), but it is nice when a band goes old school and is just grateful for the fans and willing to spend the extra time and not charge people.

Finally, I think Marc Lopes is a good fit for MC. He really fits a middle ground between David Wayne and Mike Howe. He's got a lot of talent and is pretty engaging.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2023, 09:00:05 AM »
The direct support act, The Bites, were actually very good. This just isn't the right tour or crowd for them. They have a vibe very much like The Struts, or The Darkness, if folks are familiar with those two acts. The Bites were energetic and engaging and had a really good set. I talked to the singer and bass player, and they appreciated the comparisons, and said they were close with The Struts. So hopefully, they tour together at some point. I saw The Struts open for the Foo Fighters years back, and they were good. Not my typical musical interest, but good enough for me to be up for seeing them again, particularly if they brought The Bites along. They are based out of LA. If they come back, I'll certainly check them out. Just not a good pairing musically with Metal Church, given the crowd. However, you can tell Kurdt Vanderhoof picked them personally. We saw him before Metal Church's set go back to the merch stand The Bites had, and say how much he loved their set and he bought a shirt. I passed on merch, but I may go check out their material digitally.

The singer for The Bites is from my hometown in the Chicago suburbs.  They just played there in August for a parking lot party with Eddie Trunk flying in to announce them.  They're not my thing, but it's nice to know that they're receiving some attention and getting on tours, even if it's an odd pairing.   

I really regret not going to see Metal Church on the tour for Damned if You Do.  It would have been at a tiny club like that, but I was tired on a Friday night and my kids were even younger than they are now and I knew sleep would be more important. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2023, 09:14:12 AM »
Grapp,

I hear you on seeing the Howe lineup. This will make you feel better. I had a ticket to see Metal Church/Armored Saint at a tiny club in San Francisco called the DNA Lounge. The reunion tour with Howe, I believe. MC was headlining. I had become a fan at this point after seeing them with Ronnie Munroe a couple years prior. But I had a long week, and since our daughter was small, Mrs. Samsara and I were going to shows separately, so that we didn't have to hire a babysitter. I totally planned to go to this, as I had the ticket and it was my "turn' to go, and I just gave it to her, because of how exhausted I was. So not only did I miss one of my favorites in Armored Saint, I missed seeing Mike Howe. And I'll obviously never get to. Stupid of me. Just a bad week.

I wanna say it was 2016, since my wife and I saw MC with Ronny Munroe in 2014.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #114 on: September 28, 2023, 09:25:07 AM »
Ouch!   :lol   I was just getting into Metal Church at the time.  I had heard Badlands years ago in the 90's, but never really cared to hear more.  At the time Damned If you Do came out, I was listening to this one internet radio station that was playing By The Numbers all the time.  I went back and dove into all of their albums after that. 

They really made a great choice with Marc Lopes.  He can handle all of those songs and sound just like either David Wayne or Mike Howe.