Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 58336 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #910 on: January 05, 2024, 08:45:08 PM »
Saw American Fiction the other night.

I actually really loved it. I knew it would be a smart social satire and it was but it was also a super well done family drama with outstanding performances from Jeffrey Wright and Sterling K Brown.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Realm

« Reply #911 on: January 05, 2024, 08:45:58 PM »
Just watched Poor Things. Absolutely loved this movie! One of the best movies I have seen in a while, just amazing performances, story and a visual feast. Everything just awesome. Highly recommended.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #912 on: January 07, 2024, 12:04:58 AM »
Bone Tomahawk

Holy crap.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #913 on: January 07, 2024, 06:24:32 AM »
Bone Tomahawk

Holy crap.

Not sure if this is a positive or negative take.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #914 on: January 07, 2024, 06:30:58 AM »
Bone Tomahawk

Holy crap.

Having seen it I would presume it's based on the last 15 minutes,  Holy Crap is also how I'd describe it.   ;D

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #915 on: January 07, 2024, 07:02:01 AM »
Ferrari- I liked it but I wasn't blown away. It look me a while to get into this one, and not knowing anything about Ferrari or racing the last stretch totally threw me for a loop.

The Iron Claw- The wildest thing about this movie is that not only did everything awful in it happen, but there was even more Von Erich tragedy that they cut out of the movie. Strong performances by Zac and Jeremy Allen White, but Holt McCallany's performance is what really pulls everything together.

Poor Things- Maybe my favorite of 2023. A wildly inventive black comedy with a killer performance from Emma Stone and a wonderfully over the top one from Mark Ruffalo. If nothing else it's got a good shot at Oscars for costume and/or set design.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #916 on: January 07, 2024, 09:15:45 AM »
Bone Tomahawk

Holy crap.

Having seen it I would presume it's based on the last 15 minutes,  Holy Crap is also how I'd describe it.   ;D

Yeah....sorry.....it was a positive holy crap. The movie is described as a Western 'horror' movie. There isn't a ton of non stop action but....the tension and just the over all feel of the movie is really solid throughout. The dialogue is so well written.....they do such a good job developing the characters.....and then the payoff or climax of the movie is just insane.

My brother has been begging me for years to watch it and I finally just hit 'play' last night and am glad I did.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Realm

« Reply #917 on: January 07, 2024, 03:26:19 PM »
Ferrari- I liked it but I wasn't blown away. It look me a while to get into this one, and not knowing anything about Ferrari or racing the last stretch totally threw me for a loop.

The Iron Claw- The wildest thing about this movie is that not only did everything awful in it happen, but there was even more Von Erich tragedy that they cut out of the movie. Strong performances by Zac and Jeremy Allen White, but Holt McCallany's performance is what really pulls everything together.

Poor Things- Maybe my favorite of 2023. A wildly inventive black comedy with a killer performance from Emma Stone and a wonderfully over the top one from Mark Ruffalo. If nothing else it's got a good shot at Oscars for costume and/or set design.

Haven't seen Ferrari or The Iron Claw yet but planning to. I do know the story of The Iron Claw so looking forward to seeing it, heard good things. And yes Poor Things rules. Brilliant movie.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #918 on: January 07, 2024, 07:44:45 PM »
And Emma Stone just won the GG for it.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #919 on: January 07, 2024, 08:34:09 PM »
Well deserved.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #920 on: January 08, 2024, 07:07:35 AM »
Oppenheimer. Amazing and maybe my new favorite Nolan film.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #921 on: January 08, 2024, 10:57:36 AM »
Saw American Fiction the other night.

I actually really loved it. I knew it would be a smart social satire and it was but it was also a super well done family drama with outstanding performances from Jeffrey Wright and Sterling K Brown.
Can't wait to see this.

Just watched Poor Things. Absolutely loved this movie! One of the best movies I have seen in a while, just amazing performances, story and a visual feast. Everything just awesome. Highly recommended.
Can't wait to see this.

Bone Tomahawk

Holy crap.
Hey, that was my reaction when I saw it, too!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #922 on: January 08, 2024, 11:02:55 AM »
No Hard Feelings.    Pretty good; some very amusing dialogue (some of it laugh out loud funny), an undeniably great performance by Jennifer Lawrence (of whom I am not a huge fan), but also too many tropes to be really transcendent. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #923 on: January 11, 2024, 08:35:16 AM »
Good Grief.  Dan Levy's latest endeavour.  Pretty good.  Damn he's a really good actor.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #924 on: January 14, 2024, 11:24:02 AM »
I watched Role Play on Amazon Prime.  It stars Kaley Cuoco.  I really enjoyed it.  Among other things, I appreciated that it got to the point relatively quickly.  Whereas I think most movies tend to be too long, I actually felt like this one could have stood with a bit more to fully flesh out some of the story points.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Adami

« Reply #925 on: January 14, 2024, 11:30:11 AM »
Starting to catch up on potential Oscar's movies.

Watched Air and Rustin so far.

Both were really great biopics, totally different, but well written, well acted, and well directed. You don't need a super complex movie, it can be simple and to the point, but if it's well made, it's great.

I strongly suggest both movies.

2 down. 12 to go.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #926 on: January 14, 2024, 11:46:22 AM »
Finally saw the Super Mario Bros movie. I thought it was well done. Not the greatest movie I've ever seen, but no complaints or drawbacks. I was afraid Jack Black would annoy me, as he always does, but he didn't. My kids and I have been playing Mario Wonder, so we were in a good Mario mindset and it was neat to see the different enemies and such we have encountered in the game.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #927 on: January 14, 2024, 03:04:04 PM »
Finally saw the Super Mario Bros movie. I thought it was well done. Not the greatest movie I've ever seen, but no complaints or drawbacks. I was afraid Jack Black would annoy me, as he always does, but he didn't. My kids and I have been playing Mario Wonder, so we were in a good Mario mindset and it was neat to see the different enemies and such we have encountered in the game.
I thought that was a fun, nostalgic movie. Not great like some of Pixar's best or anything, but one of the more entertaining animated films I've seen in a few years.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #928 on: February 03, 2024, 07:35:49 PM »
Just saw Argyle in the theater. I didn’t know it was an offshoot of the Kingsmen series. (Which I have seen none of, but now I’m curious)

It’s a good thing that the plot was really enjoyable, because if the plot had been terrible, those action sequences would have just been painfully stupid. But because they set the right tone, and kept the plot intriguing, it made the fight sequences more “campy”.   My friend and I laughed out loud almost non-stop during the action sequences at the end. It was just SO over the top campy.

But in the end, I can definitely say it was fun.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #929 on: February 03, 2024, 08:37:34 PM »
One thing about the Kingsmen movies is that the fight/action sequences are nuts.  Always at least a little bit surreal, sometimes more than a little bit, and I sometimes wonder how seriously we're supposed to take them.  But that's part of the fun.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #930 on: February 03, 2024, 08:51:19 PM »
One thing about the Kingsmen movies is that the fight/action sequences are nuts.  Always at least a little bit surreal, sometimes more than a little bit, and I sometimes wonder how seriously we're supposed to take them.  But that's part of the fun.

If they are anything like what I saw in Argyle, then I would say there’s absolutely no way to take them seriously at all.  It’s almost like the fight scenes are more about the visual styling than the actual fight itself. In fact, it’s more like “ballet with guns and killing” than a choreographed fight sequence.

I mean, at one point I was reminded of how much I still love the old 1980 Flash Gordon movie, and this definitely felt like that.  Only with a *much* better plot.

Also, my wife pointed out that she’s never seen a leading lady in an action movie who was as “thick” (my wife’s words…though I agree) as Bryce Dallas-Howard was in this movie….and we both thought she looked fantastic. She absolutely wears it well.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #931 on: February 04, 2024, 03:56:57 PM »
"Ballet with guns and killing."  Yeah, that sounds about right.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #932 on: February 04, 2024, 06:49:25 PM »
saw Cemetery Man today
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Adami

« Reply #933 on: February 04, 2024, 06:51:50 PM »
Just saw Argyle in the theater. I didn’t know it was an offshoot of the Kingsmen series. (Which I have seen none of, but now I’m curious)

It’s a good thing that the plot was really enjoyable, because if the plot had been terrible, those action sequences would have just been painfully stupid. But because they set the right tone, and kept the plot intriguing, it made the fight sequences more “campy”.   My friend and I laughed out loud almost non-stop during the action sequences at the end. It was just SO over the top campy.

But in the end, I can definitely say it was fun.

Wait, it’s a spin off of Kingsmen? The trailers haven’t indicated that at all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #934 on: February 04, 2024, 07:05:17 PM »
Right. It is?  Lisa and I plan on seeing that on valentine's day.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #935 on: February 04, 2024, 07:46:48 PM »
It definitely is.

From Wiki:

“…A crossover film, Argylle, directed by Vaughn and co-starring Henry Cavill as Agent Argylle of Kingsman, was released in February 2024….”

Offline Adami

« Reply #936 on: February 04, 2024, 07:52:58 PM »
Ah. Apparently that’s a spoiler from the end.

Movie looks cute but the reviews from people I trust did not have a lot of love for it. I was gonna wait till it hit streaming and will probably check it out then. Love me some Sam Rockwell.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #937 on: February 04, 2024, 08:17:56 PM »
Catching up on family movie night in the Cool household.

The Princess Bride which I've seen for the way too many-th time. We thought the 6 year old would enjoy it but she kept freaking out thinking someone would get killed. My viewing experience of this film ranges from "this is better than I remembered" to "this is worse than I remembered." This most recent viewing fell in to the "worse" category. As a fan of 80s WWF, it is always good to see Andre. He was the highlight of the film this time around for me.

Mary Poppins Returns was way better than it probably should have been. The family loves the original and they really like this one as well. I found it quite enjoyable too.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #938 on: February 04, 2024, 08:35:57 PM »
Ah. Apparently that’s a spoiler from the end.

Movie looks cute but the reviews from people I trust did not have a lot of love for it. I was gonna wait till it hit streaming and will probably check it out then. Love me some Sam Rockwell.

Oops! I didn’t know it was a spoiler. I just thought it was something that I didn’t know going in. And since it was already on Wiki, I figured it was just something I wasn’t “in the know” about.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #939 on: February 05, 2024, 06:48:51 AM »
Oops! I didn’t know it was a spoiler. I just thought it was something that I didn’t know going in. And since it was already on Wiki, I figured it was just something I wasn’t “in the know” about.
Isn't that a definition of a spoiler lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #940 on: February 05, 2024, 08:22:55 AM »
Isn't that a definition of a spoiler lol

Not necessarily.  I thought this might be something like…I’m not a sci fi nerd, and I went to go see a movie called rogue one not knowing it was a Star Wars movie.

That’s the kind of situation I felt like I was in

Or to put it another way, I thought I was having a Tim moment

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #941 on: February 05, 2024, 08:30:46 AM »
Just so you know, spoilers are always in wikipedia articles.  They have no vested interest in protecting innocent fans from spoilers.  If you are reading information there, you are SEEKING INFORMATION.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #942 on: February 05, 2024, 08:51:02 AM »
I am sorry if I blew it for some. I was just trying to verify what I thought I saw after Adami asked me if I was sure.

I did not know that Kingsman fans did not know this, and since I’ve never been a Kingsman fan I figured I was just outside the circle and that this was well known within the circle.

It seems like an odd thing to keep under wraps IMO. Wouldn’t you want your fanbase to know about the new movie you were releasing?

Anyway, sorry again if that blew it for some. I didn’t give anything away about the plot (other than I thought it was good)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #943 on: February 05, 2024, 08:57:55 AM »
I wouldn't feel too bad about it.  The filmmakers certainly hadn't publicized it in trailers or anything, but I saw it reported in several reviews, so it must not be that big of a deal.

Check this out: my pastor at the time saw Avengers: Endgame opening night, and just assumed that I had as well.  He texted me that night to ask if Stark's death was going to be permanent, or were they going to bring him back some way?  I texted back and said, "I don't know, Alex.  I haven't actually seen it yet, so I didn't know he died."  He felt AWFUL.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #944 on: February 05, 2024, 09:10:06 AM »
It does seem weird that Argylle is connected to the Kingsman movies but they're keeping it on the down-low.  If anything, I would think that you cash in on the popularity of a franchise, unless you're specifically trying to distance your film from it.  But it doesn't sound like they're doing that, either.  I haven't seen it yet though, so I don't know.  Right now, I'm dying to ask questions about how it's all revealed, but that would just be perpetuating more spoilers (if that's what they are here) so I'll just wait and watch it when it comes on cable or streaming.