Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 50760 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #1050 on: March 20, 2024, 05:15:26 PM »
Kate is hot, but Alexandra is drop-dead gorgeous.  Those eyes!

What was that movie with The Rock? I can't even remember the basic plot because I was so distracted.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1051 on: March 20, 2024, 06:12:35 PM »

What was that movie with The Rock? I can't even remember the basic plot because I was so distracted.

San Andreas.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #1052 on: March 20, 2024, 06:16:51 PM »

Have you seen the first season of True Detective? I literally said "DAMN!" out loud during *that* scene.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 06:22:08 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1053 on: March 20, 2024, 08:09:42 PM »
We had a free trial of HBO years ago, and it was when True Detective first started, so I checked it out.  I knew Woody and Matthew were in it, but that's about all.  So that scene with Alexandra came totally out of the blue for me.  Let's just say that the pause button got a good workout and it's a good thing that Mrs. Orbert had no interest in a weirdass crime show starring Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #1054 on: March 21, 2024, 01:24:46 AM »
I recently watched "All of Us Strangers", and it reminded me so much about Hand Cannot Erase that I had to go and write a short essay about it... it was a really powerful experience to say the least. I'm sad that in my country this movie has been completely overshadowed by Dune pt2 (which I absolutely adored), it came out the same day. Did anybody else see this? Thoughts?

medium.com/@mattia.capo/this-film-reminds-me-of-steven-wilson-9e7ccb50283e
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1055 on: March 22, 2024, 04:31:18 AM »
Next Goal Wins.

Story of a disgraced football coach (Michael Fassbender) that becomes manager of American Samoa, one of the weakest teams ever who hold the record for the most massive defeat in World Cup qualification (31-0 loss to Australia).

I watched it 'cause the trailer seemed fun and I expected nothing more than a lighthearted comedy, I didn't anticipate the movie being SO GOOD. Truly a hidden gem, I didn't even knew the movie existed until I saw it in the Disney+ catalogue.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1056 on: March 22, 2024, 01:23:09 PM »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1057 on: March 23, 2024, 06:31:32 AM »
I’ve been watching some good stuff lately that I’ve held off for so long because I just didn’t feel like watching stuff that I thought would be too much ‘out there’ for me.

I watched Park Chan-wook’s Oldboy and it was amazing.
Then I watched Gaspar Noé’s Enter the Void and it blew my mind.
And last week I watched Ari Aster’s 3 hour Beau is Afraid and I really enjoyed it.
Yesterday I watched Jordan Peele’s Nope and although the cinematography was great I felt the movie didn’t capitalize on the built-up tension of the first half.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1058 on: March 23, 2024, 06:48:15 AM »
Last couple of movies seen:

A Haunting in Venice: Visually stunning, Venice always delivers on screen. All these new Poirot movies are cool, but you have to watch them enjoying the ride, I don't think anyone could solve any of the cases. Yeah, the clues were there, but were impossible to decipher. Anyway, this was good just like the other two.

Poor Creatures: If I didn't know this came from a book, I'd consider it the most convoluted and needlessly intricate plan to get Emma Stone nude on camera  :lol loved it, fantastic, quirky and absolutely bonkers story but it was endearing to see Bella's growing intelligence mixed with her absolute naivety. Emma really deserved the Oscar and it was fun to see the Hulk being a total and complete douchebag. We need more quirky, left-field and odd standalone movies like this one!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1059 on: March 23, 2024, 02:29:34 PM »
I’ve always wondered why actresses go along with all these male writers and directors wanting them to disrobe. I mean, if they can’t see through that . . .

Kind of reminds me of Sandler always casting actresses way out of his league to play opposite him.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1060 on: March 23, 2024, 02:44:41 PM »
Last couple of movies seen:

A Haunting in Venice: Visually stunning, Venice always delivers on screen. All these new Poirot movies are cool, but you have to watch them enjoying the ride, I don't think anyone could solve any of the cases. Yeah, the clues were there, but were impossible to decipher. Anyway, this was good just like the other two.

I had seen the modern Murder on the Orient Express and really liked it. Caught Death on the Nile and A Haunting in Venice a few weeks ago. The actors are having a great time and are fun to watch. But the movies get progressively dumber. He’s supposed to be a great detective. But in Death on the Nile and even more so Haunting in Venice, he only knew what happened because the script told him. There’s little to no detective work. He just randomly knows everything. I hope if they do a fourth, and Kenneth is good enough to, they hire a much much better writer.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1061 on: March 25, 2024, 06:13:28 AM »
I’ve always wondered why actresses go along with all these male writers and directors wanting them to disrobe. I mean, if they can’t see through that . . .

Kind of reminds me of Sandler always casting actresses way out of his league to play opposite him.

This has been a trope for not-good-looking-at-all comedians for decades.  Woody Allen makes Adam Sandler look like a choir boy in this regard.   Would bother me a lot more if I thought about it, but I'm so used to to by now...

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1062 on: March 25, 2024, 07:18:53 AM »
Relax I'm From the Future (2023)
Mystify: Michael Hutchence (2019) free on YouTube
Past Lives (2023)
American Fiction (2023)

I enjoyed all 4 of these, Past Lives probably the most. Reviews pending on my YouTube channel for Past Lives and American Fiction after seeing them both this weekend.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1063 on: March 25, 2024, 07:27:35 AM »
I watched a movie called The Menu over the weekend. 

I'm a bit torn on it. I can't tell if I liked it or if I thought it sucked.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1064 on: March 25, 2024, 07:34:34 AM »
I watched a movie called The Menu over the weekend. 

I've debated watching this one.....the premise looks cool and the cast looks excellent. Just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1065 on: March 25, 2024, 07:46:30 AM »
I've debated watching this one.....the premise looks cool and the cast looks excellent. Just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.
I actually enjoyed that movie a lot.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1066 on: March 25, 2024, 08:14:22 AM »
Watched The Iron Claw yesterday.

It’s about the Von Erich wrestling family. Not familiar with the real life story, so I don’t know how accurate it was. Great movie, very well acted, but a very tragic story.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1067 on: March 25, 2024, 11:07:14 AM »
I actually enjoyed that movie a lot.

I loved The Menu!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1068 on: March 25, 2024, 01:04:34 PM »

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1069 on: March 25, 2024, 01:13:55 PM »
i didn't love the Menu, thought it was a little too heavy handed/on the nose with its message
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1070 on: March 25, 2024, 04:14:24 PM »
I watched Anatomy of a Fall last night and it was pretty good.  Subtitles, French legal drama about a German writer who is accused of murdering her husband.  The movie is mostly about the dissection of their relationship in court while she is on trial and how it impacts their young son who is a key witness.  Decent plot and good acting.  The location shots were amazing (Grenoble).  I could've done without the Border Collie parts (can't say much more about that without giving it away) but good that the dog winds up being ok.

I am one of those people who cannot watch any amount of animal abuse in shows/films and someone had tipped me off that a scene might be a problem for me with this film, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1071 on: March 25, 2024, 07:10:09 PM »
Watched The Iron Claw yesterday.

It’s about the Von Erich wrestling family. Not familiar with the real life story, so I don’t know how accurate it was. Great movie, very well acted, but a very tragic story.

So not only did all of that stuff actually happen (they played some with the timeline and some of the minor details), but there's even more tragedy that happened in real life that they just totally excluded from the movie because it would have been too over the top.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1072 on: March 25, 2024, 08:12:42 PM »
I watched Anatomy of a Fall last night and it was pretty good.  Subtitles, French legal drama about a German writer who is accused of murdering her husband.  The movie is mostly about the dissection of their relationship in court while she is on trial and how it impacts their young son who is a key witness.  Decent plot and good acting.  The location shots were amazing (Grenoble).  I could've done without the Border Collie parts (can't say much more about that without giving it away) but good that the dog winds up being ok.

I am one of those people who cannot watch any amount of animal abuse in shows/films and someone had tipped me off that a scene might be a problem for me with this film, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined.

I enjoyed this movie and totally agree about the Border Collie part, it was a little over the top. My favourite scene was the husband/wife flashback argument, that scene I found to be extremely well written and acted.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1073 on: March 26, 2024, 09:10:05 AM »
So not only did all of that stuff actually happen (they played some with the timeline and some of the minor details), but there's even more tragedy that happened in real life that they just totally excluded from the movie because it would have been too over the top.
Yeah, as I understand it they left out an entire son that was probably the most tragic of all. Unlike Mike, who never wanted anything to do with the business, Chris wanted nothing more than to be a wrestler but was too small and fragile. Not surprising that they both offed themselves. Fritz was never going to make father of the year, that's for damn sure.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1074 on: March 26, 2024, 10:59:59 AM »
Yeah, as I understand it they left out an entire son that was probably the most tragic of all. Unlike Mike, who never wanted anything to do with the business, Chris wanted nothing more than to be a wrestler but was too small and fragile. Not surprising that they both offed themselves. Fritz was never going to make father of the year, that's for damn sure.

Having seen the documentary on them from The Dark Side of the Ring series, I'm torn as to whether I want to see a recreated non-fiction movie.  If/when it comes to streaming for free (I think it's available to rent on Amazon atm), I may try to carve out some time for it.  Since mrs.jingle has no interest in it, I gotta find a couple hours to myself in order to take it in.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1075 on: March 26, 2024, 07:46:57 PM »
One thing that stuck out at me from that Vice episode was a conversation between Kerry and Kevin after Kerry had his foot amputated. Kevin said Kerry asked him "What are we going to do now?" Without wrestling, their lives were empty. They had nothing else to live for. I don't have any interest in seeing a dramatization. The documentaries I've seen are depressing enough.

Also Cornette saying that Kevin once told him "I used to have 5 brothers, and now I am not even a brother" is terribly moving.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1076 on: March 26, 2024, 09:54:04 PM »
One thing that stuck out at me from that Vice episode was a conversation between Kerry and Kevin after Kerry had his foot amputated. Kevin said Kerry asked him "What are we going to do now?" Without wrestling, their lives were empty. They had nothing else to live for. I don't have any interest in seeing a dramatization. The documentaries I've seen are depressing enough.

Also Cornette saying that Kevin once told him "I used to have 5 brothers, and now I am not even a brother" is terribly moving.

Yeah, that was quite the gut punch.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1077 on: March 27, 2024, 02:37:02 AM »
Late Night with the Devil.   Cool concept, pretty well done - could have benefited from turning up the scares more though.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1078 on: March 27, 2024, 09:56:35 PM »
Mad Max last night, and Mad Max 2 tonight.

First one is ok, second one is a goddamn masterpiece.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1079 on: March 28, 2024, 04:03:59 AM »
Watched half of Poor Things last night. Can't wait to watch the second half tonight. Awesome movie so far.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1080 on: March 28, 2024, 02:50:15 PM »
I watched Babylon again a few nights ago. Great movie. Basically Boogie Nights meets Great Gatsby.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1081 on: March 28, 2024, 05:08:34 PM »
Saw The Society of the Snow. One of those movies one watches only once I guess - it was great, poignant, beautifully shot and with many amazing visuals, but I don't know if I'll want to relive again the horrible ordeal of those poor guys who spent more than two months trying to survive in the Andes after their plane crashed in the middle of the snowy mountains.

If this was a completely fictional story, I would have considered the avalanche that killed more of the initial survivors and trapped them inside the wreckage for several days an unnecessary drama for the sake or further drama, but no, it happened for real - not only they got shipwrecked in the middle of a gigantic mountain range, they really had the additional misfortune of an avalanche hitting them. Poor guys. Their survival is one of the greatest reminders of human endurance in the face of adversity.

I finally got around to this one.  I remember watching 'Alive' and I'm pretty sure I read a book about this incident but this movie was spectacular.  Sure, a difficult and tense subject.  But the special effects alone made you feel you were right there.  The vastness of the Andes is breathtaking. 

So many times while watching this movie I thought, "I'd just rather die than go through that."  It is unfathomable to me that anyone survived and that not only did 16 out of 45 people survive, some of the survivors are still alive and well today!  To endure starvation like that and live well into your 70s is a testament to the resiliency of the human body.  I would've thought for sure they'd have long term kidney and/or heart damage at the very least.  Plus these guys smoked cigarettes like chimneys!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1082 on: March 28, 2024, 08:27:38 PM »
Anatomy of a Fall, and then Alive? Harmony, where are the Paul Newman film reviews?!?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1083 on: March 29, 2024, 09:16:44 AM »
Anatomy of a Fall, and then Alive? Harmony, where are the Paul Newman film reviews?!?
Yeah, inquiring minds want to know!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1084 on: March 29, 2024, 01:51:12 PM »

No no no - Alive was the previous movie.  I was writing about Society of the Snow.  You should totally watch that one.   :P

I've watched a few more of the Newman films but just never wrote them up.  Life gets in the way sometimes.  Mostly my movie watching occurs on the weekends and lately my kids have been coming over and neither of them are interested in old films.  So we've wound up watching films we all could enjoy together.

Another issue we ran into at one point was not finding some of the more obscure films available for free (or low cost to rent). Looks like our DVR caught a few during Oscar month on TCM.

I may get back to it.  I could certainly write up Cool Hand Luke with one hand tied behind my back because it is my favorite PN movie of all time.  :heart