Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 50963 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #1085 on: March 29, 2024, 03:51:34 PM »
My favorite Newman film is The Sting, but that is such an ensemble, I don't really think of it as a Newman film. My favorite Newman performance might be Nobody's Fool.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1086 on: March 29, 2024, 05:11:28 PM »
I saw the new Godzilla x Kong movie in the cinema.

On the most shallow of surface levels it was dumb fun for 2 hours with human characters in a small cockpit set staring off screen towards big CGI monsters punching each other and destroying CGI landscapes. It was neither better or worse than the films that came before it and have a lot of the same issues.

However I don't see how anyone would rate any of these movies higher than like a 6/10. There is no plot beyond "we need X to fight Y so we can prevent dooming us all" (in this case Kong and Godzilla teaming up are X) and the characters are more thinly written than any paper thin character you've seen in a dumb blockbuster before. The action itself is okay but a lot of it feels weightless and also there's not really any stakes to the movie either. You have Kong and Godzilla throw other monsters through 8 apartment buildings yet they totally gloss over the amount of human lives that just got erased in a minute. I get that you can't do the Zack Snyder DC thing of showing humans meet their demise cause that would be depressing, but when you have these giant creatures flattening half a city in a battle and the reaction is basically a shrug, it doesn't feel like there's much weight to the movie at all. Why are we worried about these monsters destroying the planet when they've already done half the job of getting there? :p

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1087 on: March 30, 2024, 04:33:03 AM »
Not the last "movie" I saw, but the last "trailer" I saw.

Wham Bam Van Damme.  Looks watch-worthy when it comes to streaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCyVDVP7eoA
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1088 on: April 01, 2024, 12:11:57 PM »
Yesterday was the 25th anniversary of The Matrix, so we watched that.  Still holds up.  A perfect film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1089 on: April 01, 2024, 01:37:52 PM »
Yesterday was the 25th anniversary of The Matrix, so we watched that.  Still holds up.  A perfect film.

Yeah....I don't see that one ever being outdated. Such a cool concept that was executed near perfectly.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1090 on: April 01, 2024, 03:08:50 PM »

I watched it two years ago (I wanted to say I watched it last year but I checked my Letterboxd and it said February ‘22.. time flies).

It’s perfect indeed, I was totally blown away by it. Hard to believe it’s been 25 years.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1091 on: April 01, 2024, 03:20:19 PM »
Amazing movie for sure, changed the landscape of how action movies are made. I watched it a few months ago when I got the 4k boxset of the series. The movie looks amazing too for something made in 1999.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1092 on: April 02, 2024, 02:14:30 AM »
Filing this under the category "it was there on Disney+ and there was nothing else I could pick and the movies I wanted to see more were all too long", I saw Coyote Ugly. Reminded me how I got a crush on Piper Perabo  back in the day  :D

Nothing to write home about but it was a moment in pre-9/11 time, and also pre-internet and it shows. It's nice from time to time seeing movies from a recent but already distant era, it's something you couldn't even do again today - the plot is about Piper shopping around her demo tape, in this age she would just post it on YouTube.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1093 on: April 02, 2024, 03:25:42 AM »
I saw Coyote Ugly in the cinema when I was 15. Took my crush there. I’ll leave it at that.  :lol
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1094 on: April 02, 2024, 07:37:39 AM »
Just rewatched Moana with the youngest this weekend–man, that is a gem of a film :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1095 on: April 02, 2024, 08:00:13 AM »
Filing this under the category "it was there on Disney+ and there was nothing else I could pick and the movies I wanted to see more were all too long", I saw Coyote Ugly. Reminded me how I got a crush on Piper Perabo  back in the day  :D

Nothing to write home about but it was a moment in pre-9/11 time, and also pre-internet and it shows. It's nice from time to time seeing movies from a recent but already distant era, it's something you couldn't even do again today - the plot is about Piper shopping around her demo tape, in this age she would just post it on YouTube.
I have an active dislike for this film.  Probably because my wife likes it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1096 on: April 02, 2024, 08:20:18 AM »
I have an active dislike for this film.  Probably because my wife likes it.

Haha!!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1097 on: April 02, 2024, 09:54:38 AM »

I never watched that because I thought it looked like just about the dumbest thing ever.  I believe the wife saw it, however, so Hef's comment resonates with me.  In 2010, Piper Perabo turned up in an Alias wannabe TV series called Covert Affairs, which my wife and I watched for a few seasons.  She is a terrible actress, and the only thing that saved that show was the supporting cast, including Anne Dudek and Kari Matchett.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1098 on: April 02, 2024, 10:50:41 AM »
She showed up on Yellowstone also, and you may not believe this, but she was immediately the worst actor on the roster.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1099 on: April 02, 2024, 11:36:40 AM »
She showed up on Yellowstone also, and you may not believe this, but she was immediately the worst actor on the roster.
I love everything about Yellowstone... except her.  I think it's probably her character, but still.   The scene where Beth comes downstairs and sees her in the kitchen getting coffee in the morning after her first time staying there is priceless on every level.  One of the greatest scenes in television history. 

Two of Beth's best lines:
"Dad, if you’re gonna hire a hooker, would ya please let me get you a good one?”

And later:
Summer: “I hope you didn’t pay full price for that boob job.”
Beth: “Actually, God gave me these for free. Looks like he gave me yours, too.”

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1100 on: April 02, 2024, 11:39:15 AM »
I never watched that because I thought it looked like just about the dumbest thing ever.  I believe the wife saw it, however, so Hef's comment resonates with me.  In 2010, Piper Perabo turned up in an Alias wannabe TV series called Covert Affairs, which my wife and I watched for a few seasons.  She is a terrible actress, and the only thing that saved that show was the supporting cast, including Anne Dudek and Kari Matchett.

Covert Affairs was decent, but it's like you said: it's because of the supporting cast.  Looking back, I'm not sure why I even watched it because I don't really care for Piper Perabo and the other guy, "Auggie" was kind of annoying, too.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1101 on: April 02, 2024, 12:49:48 PM »
My wife watched Covert Affairs and I caught a few episodes with her.  Piper is cute, but yeah, not a great actress.  I've always had a thing for Kari Matchett, but she wasn't in it enough to make it worthwhile.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1102 on: April 02, 2024, 01:06:38 PM »
If Alias hadn't existed and they had cast Jennifer Garner instead of Perabo, it probably would have been a great show.

By the way...random plug for Jennifer Garner's 2018 movie Peppermint.  It was a script that didn't fuck around, she was a total badass, and I was pretty riveted for the entire 1:41 run time.  It got shitty reviews, but I really enjoyed it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1103 on: April 02, 2024, 01:42:02 PM »

That's impressive given how shitty the acting is generally on that show.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1104 on: April 02, 2024, 02:42:12 PM »
That's impressive given how shitty the acting is generally on that show.
Just curious, have you actually watched the show, or is this just general shitposting?  I can never tell with you; I know of your disdain for some other popular stuff.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1105 on: April 02, 2024, 04:40:44 PM »
Just curious, have you actually watched the show, or is this just general shitposting?  I can never tell with you; I know of your disdain for some other popular stuff.

To be honest I obviously misunderstood the tone of your post. I thought you were mocking it  The quality of the acting is so low yet she still managed to be worse! is how I read it.

As for the show I watched somewhere in the range of 6 - 8 episodes last year (I think I posted on it in fact) and it really wasn't my thing at all.  I thought the bad acting in general was something the show was infamous for? 

Your the second person who has called me out on being too negative  - which is interesting as I've generally tried to post more positively since I was last called out.  I still think it's a bit weird as really the only things I've really been really harsh on was She-Hulk/Secret Invasion (while I generally was one of the few positive on Phase 4) and the latest Indy Jones movie.  I guess when you get called out once it sticks, but I can live with that, but honestly not keen on being called a shitposter though.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 04:54:53 PM by soupytwist »

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • żDe qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1106 on: April 02, 2024, 10:19:26 PM »
Amazing movie for sure, changed the landscape of how action movies are made. I watched it a few months ago when I got the 4k boxset of the series. The movie looks amazing too for something made in 1999.
Film, particularly the emulsions for making movies, just has a lot of detail, usually more than what a 4K scan can bring out of it - remember these things were made with top-quality lenses and equipment, and they had to be projected many, many times their size on large theater screens.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1107 on: April 03, 2024, 06:00:57 AM »
To be honest I obviously misunderstood the tone of your post. I thought you were mocking it  The quality of the acting is so low yet she still managed to be worse! is how I read it.

As for the show I watched somewhere in the range of 6 - 8 episodes last year (I think I posted on it in fact) and it really wasn't my thing at all.  I thought the bad acting in general was something the show was infamous for? 

Your the second person who has called me out on being too negative  - which is interesting as I've generally tried to post more positively since I was last called out.  I still think it's a bit weird as really the only things I've really been really harsh on was She-Hulk/Secret Invasion (while I generally was one of the few positive on Phase 4) and the latest Indy Jones movie.  I guess when you get called out once it sticks, but I can live with that, but honestly not keen on being called a shitposter though.

I don't really read critiques on line for stuff that I like, so I'm not really up to speed on what the general consensus is on the acting for Yellowstone, but FOR ME, I think to generalize that it's chock full of "bad acting" isn't accurate.  There are some - Kelsey Asbille ("Monica") isn't fantastic, nor, IMO, is Wes Bentley ("Jamie") but I think the acting of the farmhands is very good, I think Cole Hauser ("Rip"), Kevin Costner ("John") and Kelly Reilly ("Beth") are excellent.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1108 on: April 03, 2024, 08:50:01 AM »
That's not how I meant it.

As for the show I watched somewhere in the range of 6 - 8 episodes last year (I think I posted on it in fact) and it really wasn't my thing at all. I thought the bad acting in general was something the show was infamous for? 
Not to my knowledge, no.  I've read plenty of reviews from critics, and I don't remember that being a sticking point.  I've seen every episode, and while I wouldn't necessarily call the acting standout, it's not bad for a major show.  It's fine.  Some of the writing isn't that great (by writing I mean mostly the actual plotting of the show, not necessarily the dialogue, although it certainly isn't The Godfather or anything), but by and large, most of the actors seem to do a serviceable job with the material they are given.

Well, that's why I wanted to clarify.  I don't normally think of you that way.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1109 on: April 03, 2024, 09:01:58 AM »
Not to my knowledge, no.  I've read plenty of reviews from critics, and I don't remember that being a sticking point.  I've seen every episode, and while I wouldn't necessarily call the acting standout, it's not bad for a major show.  It's fine.  Some of the writing isn't that great (by writing I mean mostly the actual plotting of the show, not necessarily the dialogue, although it certainly isn't The Godfather or anything), but by and large, most of the actors seem to do a serviceable job with the material they are given.

No argument, just as counterpoint... I feel that the standard for both the writing and acting is quite higher than the conversation here seems to suggest.  Again, not EVERY actor - I've singled out some of them that don't impress me - but there is some very good if not great acting on that show; some of the scenes with Costner and Reilly are incredibly well done.   As for the writing, don't get me wrong, Taylor Sheridan is high on himself and thinks this is Shakespeare, and it's not; but the plots are compelling, most of the dialogue is believable and realistic, and some of it borders on the profound.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1110 on: April 03, 2024, 09:02:36 AM »
I'm shocked, SHOCKED to find out anything with Kevin Costner in it is being criticized for having bad acting.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1111 on: April 03, 2024, 09:25:10 AM »
No argument, just as counterpoint... I feel that the standard for both the writing and acting is quite higher than the conversation here seems to suggest.  Again, not EVERY actor - I've singled out some of them that don't impress me - but there is some very good if not great acting on that show; some of the scenes with Costner and Reilly are incredibly well done.   As for the writing, don't get me wrong, Taylor Sheridan is high on himself and thinks this is Shakespeare, and it's not; but the plots are compelling, most of the dialogue is believable and realistic, and some of it borders on the profound.
Hey, I said I've watched every episode lol.  I'm a fan.

Also watched 1883 and 1923, and most of the other Sheridan content, both pre- and post-Yellowstone.  I'm picking up what he's laying down.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1112 on: April 04, 2024, 06:46:16 AM »
The wife asked me if I'd be interested in watching The Hunger Game movies. I had never seen them before and said sure. I thought the first one was pretty good, and I actually really enjoyed the second one. I made it about 30 minutes into the third one before falling asleep.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1113 on: April 04, 2024, 09:40:37 AM »
The wife asked me if I'd be interested in watching The Hunger Game movies. I had never seen them before and said sure. I thought the first one was pretty good, and I actually really enjoyed the second one. I made it about 30 minutes into the third one before falling asleep.

Our kids had read the books, so we watched the movies.  My wife didn't like them because she hated the premise.  I thought the first movie was ok.  The second was kinda silly and a bit of a rehash.  I saw the last two, but I couldn't tell you much of anything about what happened in either of them.  I enjoy watching the Cinema Sins "everything wrong with" videos for the HG movies.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1114 on: April 04, 2024, 10:55:10 AM »
I'm pretty much in the same boat.  The first was interesting.  The premise was nuts, but whatever, that's the setting of the story.  The second was, as you said, a bit of a rehash, but there seemed to be an honest attempt to explore the world and expand on things and all the good stuff a second movie is supposed to do.  I remember that we watched the third one, but I couldn't tell you much about it, and I honestly don't remember if we saw the fourth one.  The worldbuilding was getting silly and I wasn't engaged at all.  I guess there's a new one out now, the start of a new series or something?  Haven't seen that one.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1115 on: April 04, 2024, 11:50:46 AM »
Hey, I said I've watched every episode lol.  I'm a fan.

Also watched 1883 and 1923, and most of the other Sheridan content, both pre- and post-Yellowstone.  I'm picking up what he's laying down.

Did you see Wind River?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1116 on: April 04, 2024, 12:03:16 PM »
Did you see Wind River?
I did.  Good flick.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1117 on: April 04, 2024, 12:05:24 PM »
The reason I never watched The Hunger Games is that I've read Stephen King's Bachman novels The Long Walk and The Running Man, and Hunger Games seemed to borrow heavily from both stories.  So I don't care.  Whatever.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1118 on: April 04, 2024, 12:25:06 PM »
The reason I never watched The Hunger Games is that I've read Stephen King's Bachman novels The Long Walk and The Running Man, and Hunger Games seemed to borrow heavily from both stories.  So I don't care.  Whatever.

The Long Walk is awesome.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1119 on: April 04, 2024, 05:13:50 PM »
The Long Walk is awesome.

Amen. A lot of my favorites are his shorter stories. It’s not really short but you know what I mean.