Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 58322 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #560 on: July 29, 2023, 05:17:29 AM »
I saw The Portable Door.

Knowing nothing of the source material, I loved it! a good solid fantasy adventure without an overly complicated plot or the necessity to set up a franchise. Just two hours of good fun.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #561 on: July 29, 2023, 01:46:15 PM »
Just got back from the Barbie movie...holy shit was that hilarious...definitely had a solid point to it as well, with many, many barbs (pun intended). The sets were pretty fucking amazing as well, as was the main actors. Overall definitely worth seeing for sure, only complaint for me was the plot was really kinetic in a hot mess kind of way for me but it worked for the general vibe of the movie.

Seriously though, I haven't laughed that hard in a theater in a while.
I keep hearing good things about this movie.  I'm pretty sure I'll be able to avoid being seen at the theater (that is, I won't be there) but I'll probably check it out in a few months on cable.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #562 on: July 29, 2023, 01:56:31 PM »
Just got back from the Barbie movie...holy shit was that hilarious...definitely had a solid point to it as well, with many, many barbs (pun intended). The sets were pretty fucking amazing as well, as was the main actors. Overall definitely worth seeing for sure, only complaint for me was the plot was really kinetic in a hot mess kind of way for me but it worked for the general vibe of the movie.

Seriously though, I haven't laughed that hard in a theater in a while.
I keep hearing good things about this movie.  I'm pretty sure I'll be able to avoid being seen at the theater (that is, I won't be there) but I'll probably check it out in a few months on cable.

Yeah, the only reason to see it in the theater is to get lost in the set design, they really go hardcore into the details for Barbieland, it's really impressive and I'm sure will get some nods at awards time. Acting is solid, I'm sure Robbie will get a nod as well, she has a fantastic performance on both comedy and dramatic fronts.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #563 on: July 30, 2023, 05:23:51 PM »
Dude, at the very worst, you could have feasted your eyes on Margot Robbier for two hours.

Or Margot Robbiest. 

HAHA.

Anyway, I heard that this is her highest grossing film. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #564 on: July 31, 2023, 07:07:07 AM »
I saw Barbie this weekend, delightful. God bless Ryan Gosling for committing as hard as he does to Ken.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #565 on: August 02, 2023, 11:46:12 AM »
Saw Barbie.

Incredible film. Way better than a movie about Barbie has any business being, but that's what happens when you get a good writer/director who have a strong vision.

There was definitely a bit of a message I didn't agree with at the very end but that didn't hinder it much. 98% of the movie is amazing. The performances, the directing, the writing, the visuals, all of it. Margo Robbie gives a heart breaking performance, and Ryan Gosling really commits 100% in the best ways. The entire cast is great, actually. Even Michael Cera as Allen.

I strongly suggest seeing it if you can. Try not to let the last little bit of message from the Barbies hinder how good the rest of the movie is. And if you're a man who's a bit insecure, try to challenge yourself a bit. The movie makes no attempts to hide its message.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #566 on: August 02, 2023, 11:51:03 AM »
Out of curiosity, is the song "Barbie Girl" used in the movie?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Adami

« Reply #567 on: August 02, 2023, 11:52:41 AM »

I believe it was sampled during the end credits. Like, not played in full, but as part of something else. But not during the movie itself, to my memory.

Though Matchbox 20 got a good amount of play time which was....odd.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #568 on: August 02, 2023, 12:05:38 PM »

I believe it was sampled during the end credits. Like, not played in full, but as part of something else. But not during the movie itself, to my memory.

Interesting that it was used at all, given the nasty litigation between Mattel and MCA Records regarding that song.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Adami

« Reply #569 on: August 02, 2023, 12:17:41 PM »

Interesting that it was used at all, given the nasty litigation between Mattel and MCA Records regarding that song.

There's a lot of interesting stuff in the movie, making me wonder how much Mattel even looked at the script. It's not shy about taking shots at Mattel and Barbie in general.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: August 02, 2023, 01:38:45 PM »
I saw Barbie this weekend, delightful. God bless Ryan Gosling for committing as hard as he does to Ken.

AND

and Ryan Gosling really commits 100% in the best ways.

That was the message from my daughter; she was really impressed by him.

Online Adami

« Reply #571 on: August 02, 2023, 01:43:36 PM »

AND

It's true. Margot Robbie stole the movie though.

And not because she's hot or nice to look at. Because that girl can ACT. There were scenes where one line or a facial expression truly moved me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: August 02, 2023, 02:16:07 PM »

AND

It's true. Margot Robbie stole the movie though.

And not because she's hot or nice to look at. Because that girl can ACT. There were scenes where one line or a facial expression truly moved me.

I disagree.  She's hot.

Online Adami

« Reply #573 on: August 02, 2023, 02:54:53 PM »
You think she can’t act?  Rude.  :P

Also while I obviously wouldn’t turn her down (in my single days) she’s definitely not my type.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: August 02, 2023, 03:00:19 PM »
You think she can’t act?  Rude.  :P

Also while I obviously wouldn’t turn her down (in my single days) she’s definitely not my type.

Haha, no, I was trying to subtly make the point that the two are not mutually exclusive.  I watched her on "Pan Am", the TV show and remember thinking "this is not the last we're going to see of this woman".   

(And in case anyone cares, she is exactly my type.  I don't call her hot to be a pig, I call her hot because my daughter thinks her and my wife look alike in the sense that they have the same type of beauty.)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: August 02, 2023, 07:51:31 PM »
In preparation for Indy5 I watched Kingdom of the Crystal Skull while demoing my fireplace - so I wasn't watching it intently. Haven't seen it since the two times I saw it when it was released, and my feelings are about the same. Indiana Jones feels like a part of my childhood, as much as Star Wars, The A-Team, and MacGyver were. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was an enjoyable film upon first watch in the theater, and a fun experience all these years later. Some things I didn't like then and don't like now, but, while not insignificant, don't ruin it for me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #576 on: August 02, 2023, 07:54:47 PM »
I've seen 99 movies this year. What should be #100?

First suggestion wins, unless it's something I've seen this year.

Online faizoff

« Reply #577 on: August 02, 2023, 08:28:50 PM »

Requiem For A Dream  ;D

I watched it last night.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Realm

« Reply #578 on: August 02, 2023, 09:58:32 PM »

Requiem For A Dream  ;D

I watched it last night.

What an awesome movie! Definitely not one that I would recommend to just anyone though.....

Offline pg1067

« Reply #579 on: August 03, 2023, 09:00:12 AM »

Hot Tub Time Machine, of course.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #580 on: August 03, 2023, 09:23:05 AM »

Dracula: Dead And Loving It
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: August 03, 2023, 10:46:58 AM »

Hot Tub Time Machine, of course.

That's actually not a bad suggestion. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #582 on: August 03, 2023, 10:55:53 AM »

History of the World, Part 1.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #583 on: August 03, 2023, 10:57:06 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions! Requiem will be #100, but I’ll watch all of them.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #584 on: August 03, 2023, 11:22:05 AM »

Requiem For A Dream  ;D

I watched it last night.

Just read a summary of that movie.  Sounds like about the most awful thing ever....

Online faizoff

« Reply #585 on: August 03, 2023, 11:49:21 AM »

Requiem For A Dream  ;D

I watched it last night.

Just read a summary of that movie.  Sounds like about the most awful thing ever....
The movie is not an easy watch. It's based on a book and deals with 4 main characters and their addictions. While I haven't read the book, it's a great visual showcase on how those addictions play out and basically destroy lives.

Plus I'm a huge Aronofsky fan and his movies can be hard to digest.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #586 on: August 03, 2023, 12:18:09 PM »
Requiem for a Dream is way up there on the list of movies that I found brilliant but have no desire to rewatch :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #587 on: August 03, 2023, 02:13:49 PM »

Definitely watch It's Such a Beautiful Day sometime, it's prob my fav movie ever.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #588 on: August 03, 2023, 02:57:33 PM »
Requiem for a Dream is way up there on the list of movies that I found brilliant but have no desire to rewatch :lol

I felt like that with Million Dollar Baby.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #589 on: August 03, 2023, 04:15:47 PM »

I felt like that with Million Dollar Baby.

I've never seen the whole thing because I had what happens towards the end spoiled for me thanks to an in-flight movie :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: August 03, 2023, 05:43:40 PM »
It was so fucking heartbreaking,  that I'll never watch that awesome movie again. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #591 on: August 04, 2023, 09:33:46 AM »

Requiem For A Dream  ;D

I watched it last night.

The movie is not an easy watch. It's based on a book and deals with 4 main characters and their addictions. While I haven't read the book, it's a great visual showcase on how those addictions play out and basically destroy lives.

Plus I'm a huge Aronofsky fan and his movies can be hard to digest.

Yeah...I just can't conceive why anyone would want to watch something like that.  What's entertaining about that?

Online faizoff

« Reply #592 on: August 04, 2023, 12:19:26 PM »
There are way worse and more disturbing movies out there (which I'm not into) this is far milder than that. It's also an interesting visual presentation.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #593 on: August 13, 2023, 05:53:07 PM »
I went to see Meg 2: The Trench yesterday (while my 21yo son went to see TMNT).  It was stupid but fun (much like the first one).  What I can't understand is why these movies have almost completely eschewed any continuity with the books.  I haven't read them in a while, but I loved them and was very much looking forward to a movie being made (the first one was in development hell for several years).  Given how silly the movies have been, I'm just not sure why they wouldn't have stuck closer to the books.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #594 on: August 13, 2023, 09:52:17 PM »
I watched 'The Sound of the Police' on Hulu.  It is a documentary that looks at the extremely complex relationship between black people and the police throughout history up until today.

Highly recommended but it is not an easy subject matter.  I learned a few things I was previously oblivious to.  As more and more history gets diluted in our schools, it is important to understand how we got here.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad