Author Topic: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN  (Read 70966 times)

Offline Anguyen92

Re: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN
« Reply #1715 on: May 20, 2023, 09:11:41 PM »
Man, I really hate Matthew Tkachuk, but holy crap, every team in the league needs to find a player like him.  Two straight OT goals by him gives the Panthers a 2-0 lead.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1716 on: May 20, 2023, 09:28:56 PM »
Man, I really hate Matthew Tkachuk, but holy crap, every team in the league needs to find a player like him.  Two straight OT goals by him gives the Panthers a 2-0 lead.

Yeah……he’s cocky but he backs it up. He’s legit for sure. He brought instant moxi and attitude to that team and it’s worked out well for them. And, while he is cocky and a pest he isn’t Marchand level douchbaggery.

Doesn’t hurt when your goalie has returned to Vezna level play either
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1717 on: May 21, 2023, 05:18:24 AM »

Yeah……he’s cocky but he backs it up. He’s legit for sure. He brought instant moxi and attitude to that team and it’s worked out well for them. And, while he is cocky and a pest he isn’t Marchand level douchbaggery.

Doesn’t hurt when your goalie has returned to Vezna level play either

All of this.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1718 on: May 21, 2023, 07:11:38 AM »
Yeah Bobrovsky has really come back strong.

Also, Tkachuk is legit.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1719 on: May 21, 2023, 07:16:04 AM »
Eight straight road wins for Florida in the playoffs.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1720 on: May 22, 2023, 12:44:51 PM »
So...I don't think it'll happen, but if both series are sweeps does that mean we all sit around for 7-10 days waiting for the SCF to start?

Eight straight road wins for Florida in the playoffs.

Yup...they look a lot like the 2012 Kings, who had 10 straight road wins, with the only road loss being game 5 of the SCF.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1721 on: May 22, 2023, 01:14:46 PM »
I presume if both series are sweeps then the cup finals starts early, but I guess it all depends on their network scheduling to accommodate it.

On another note, CapFriendly has updated their site to reflect the cap hits for the 23-24 season now if the cap goes up to $83.5M.  This is what teams has to work with to be within budget.  Some teams will have players that they can move to LTIR to create more space as well.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1722 on: May 23, 2023, 04:40:32 AM »
Watching the post-game interview with Bobs made me chuckle

Bukaskis: "Was this the loudest you've ever heard this arena?"
Bobs: "Of course it was, it's never been sold out since I came here".

Naturally, that wasn't his answer, but he dodged around it by saying something like 'we have great support from our fans'

I get how fans can be 'fair weather', but that fucking arena looks barely 1/2 full during the regular season, and there were even a lot of empty seats in rounds 1 and 2.  Those fans don't deserve the team that Florida has become this playoff season.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1723 on: May 23, 2023, 07:04:07 AM »
They'd honestly draw better if they played in Miami.  Their arena is out in the Ft. Lauderdale suburbs.  Makes no sense.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1724 on: May 23, 2023, 08:32:52 AM »
Watching the post-game interview with Bobs made me chuckle

Bukaskis: "Was this the loudest you've ever heard this arena?"
Bobs: "Of course it was, it's never been sold out since I came here".

Naturally, that wasn't his answer, but he dodged around it by saying something like 'we have great support from our fans'

I get how fans can be 'fair weather', but that fucking arena looks barely 1/2 full during the regular season, and there were even a lot of empty seats in rounds 1 and 2.  Those fans don't deserve the team that Florida has become this playoff season.

I can’t speak for Florida, but some of this is just cost.

As much as I love my Kraken, I have a ton of responsibilities at home. And spending probably somewhere around $500 total (that’s figuring in tickets, parking, and food for 2 people) to go to the city, stress about where to park, stress about trying to get out when it’s done, and possibly on a weeknight no less… I just stick to watching on TV.

But would I do ALL of that for a playoff game if I had the chance? Maybe even a Stanley Cup game? Oh heck yes!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1725 on: May 23, 2023, 08:40:42 AM »
They'd honestly draw better if they played in Miami.  Their arena is out in the Ft. Lauderdale suburbs.  Makes no sense.

Yep. Really questionable location......bit the Coyotes in the ass that's for sure. Just a dumb spot to put your arena.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1726 on: May 23, 2023, 10:23:30 AM »
Interestingly, there is a very real chance that all four NHL and NBA conference final series could end in sweeps.  I heard something on the broadcast of the Nuggets game last night to the effect that the NBA Finals won't start until June 1, and I found an article that says the SCF will start on June 3 (apparently without regard to how the conference finals shake out.  That means there will potentially be a LOT of dead time with these leagues.  Couple that with the non-traditional markets likely to be in the finals, and we've got the potential for record low ratings for both finals.

Also, now's as good a time as any to review the myth of the NHL conference finals trophies.

It appears that the idea of not touching the conference finals trophy started with the 1997 Flyers.  Of course, the Flyers were swept in the 1997 SCF, so it didn't really work out for them.

Over the 25 seasons from 1997-2022:

- The team that won the Cup touched the conference finals trophy 14 times and didn't touch it 11 times.

- The team that lost in the SCF touched the conference finals trophy only 9 times and didn't touch it 16 times.

- In 14 of 25 seasons, the two conference finals winners did the same thing, so those seasons provide no basis for comparison

- In the 11 of 25 seasons in which the two conference finals winners did different things, the team that touched the conference finals trophy won 8 times, while the team that didn't touch it won only 3 times.

- In 2008, Sidney Crosby didn't touch the Prince of Wales Trophy, and the Penguins lost.  In 2009, Crosby touched the Wales trophy, and the Penguins won (in both seasons, Nicklas Lidstrom did not touch the Clarence Campbell Bowl).

CONCLUSION:  The myth that touching the conference finals trophy is a curse is complete bullshit, and the data suggests exactly the opposite.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1727 on: May 23, 2023, 07:48:09 PM »
Nice work by the captain Jamie Benn.  He probably just killed any chance the Stars had to come back and win this series.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1728 on: May 23, 2023, 08:00:51 PM »
Nice work by the captain Jamie Benn.  He probably just killed any chance the Stars had to come back and win this series.

Just a dumb play…..not to mention dirty as hell. Then, the cohorts on ESPN are trying to say it was “out of character” for him  :lol  what a load of  :censored   He’s always been a dirty player and a baby. Hopefully he sits for a couple games.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1729 on: May 23, 2023, 08:04:21 PM »
He'll get at least one... but that's all it's gonna take.  Dallas' tank is empty.  The shine is off Oettinger for this playoff year; seems he's got a case of the Binners (minus the Stanley Cup ring).

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1730 on: May 23, 2023, 08:29:15 PM »
He'll get at least one... but that's all it's gonna take.  Dallas' tank is empty.  The shine is off Oettinger for this playoff year; seems he's got a case of the Binners (minus the Stanley Cup ring).

It looks like the Kraken ran them dry. Really wish the Kraken would have won…..I’d bet these games would be more fun to watch.

At least that dough bag DoBoeur will be denied the cup. But condolences to jingle.daughter as her cheering interest team will soon be gone.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1731 on: May 23, 2023, 08:40:22 PM »
Save the condolences for jingle.son.  He's a way bigger fan for Carolina than jingle.daughter is of Dallas.  She hasn't even been watching the games.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1732 on: May 23, 2023, 08:47:13 PM »
Oyyy, pretty soon, I won't have any horses I would like to win the cup.  I can't root for Vegas.  Can't root for Panthers because of Tkachuk.  Hurricanes are on the ropes and can't find a way to get high-quality shots on Bobrovsky and the Stars fell apart just two minutes into Game 3 with the Benn misconduct.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1733 on: May 23, 2023, 08:56:22 PM »
So who we rooting for in the Finals, Vegas or Florida?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1734 on: May 23, 2023, 09:11:56 PM »
I guess, by proxy, Panthers.  By the way, if this does go to a Panthers/Golden Knights finals, no matter who wins, a team with a $10M AAV or more player will have finally won a cup in the Salary Cap era.  Panthers have Bobrovsky and Barkov.  Golden Knights have Eichel.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 12:02:40 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1735 on: May 23, 2023, 09:18:48 PM »
If probably pull for Vegas die to them having Petro and Barby. Especially Petro. Armstrong did him wrong by not signing him and that was the beginning of the ‘downfall’ of what was a very reliable defense for years…..because of how freaking good and reliable Petro is.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1736 on: May 24, 2023, 04:48:11 AM »
Speaking of Armstrong, there's a (hopefully weak) rumour circulating that Armstrong may be a candidate for the Leafs job.  Based on everything you've griped about the past couple of years Gary, I'm hoping this is a nothing-burger.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1737 on: May 24, 2023, 05:56:06 AM »
I know Vegas is on a roll as well, but I don't see them beating Florida.  The Panthers have that look of a team that is not going to denied.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1738 on: May 24, 2023, 07:25:09 AM »
Speaking of Armstrong, there's a (hopefully weak) rumour circulating that Armstrong may be a candidate for the Leafs job.  Based on everything you've griped about the past couple of years Gary, I'm hoping this is a nothing-burger.

There’s no way he’d agree to be micro managed by Shanahan. Plus, he re-signed last year for a handful of years here but I guess that’s simple to get out of.

He has his good traits but he also has his bad ones. Like refusing to hand out NMC’s and he’s never bought out a contract. Both limit what you can do and players you can keep around or move on from.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1739 on: May 24, 2023, 07:28:02 AM »
Especially Petro. Armstrong did him wrong by not signing him and that was the beginning of the ‘downfall’ of what was a very reliable defense for years…..because of how freaking good and reliable Petro is.

I never understood this. And then to sign Krug to the contract he did...WTF? That made even less sense.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1740 on: May 24, 2023, 07:50:57 AM »
So who we rooting for in the Finals, Vegas or Florida?

Florida and it's not even close.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1741 on: May 24, 2023, 07:53:42 AM »

There’s no way he’d agree to be micro managed by Shanahan. Plus, he re-signed last year for a handful of years here but I guess that’s simple to get out of.

He has his good traits but he also has his bad ones. Like refusing to hand out NMC’s and he’s never bought out a contract. Both limit what you can do and players you can keep around or move on from.

He's the anti-Ken Holland.  Ken Holland, towards the end of his tenure in Detroit, was handing NMC's like candy at Halloween.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #1742 on: May 24, 2023, 08:59:47 AM »
Florida just seems like the team of destiny right now.  They are definitely on one hell of a hot streak in the playoffs.  I just can't pull for Vegas, so I hope the Panthers win the Cup.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1743 on: May 24, 2023, 09:18:14 AM »
This just dawned on me … Assuming Florida makes the SCF, it will mark the 4th time in 5 years that the Leafs lost to the eventual Eastern Conference Champ - 3 of which were 7 game series:

2019 - Boston
2021 - Montreal
2022 - Tampa
2023 - Florida

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1744 on: May 24, 2023, 09:33:52 AM »
I have no major gripes with any of the teams left, but was really pulling for Carolina. It's unfortunate for them, if they do get swept they will have played about as any team could while still getting swept.

Assuming it's Panthers v. Vegas, I'm happy either way. At the end of the day, Vegas GM deserved heaps of praises. The expansion draft rules were not set for instant victory, but he fleeced the league within the guidelines and built something amazing. From there he's not been afraid to take big swings and hey, most of the time he's been right and he's made it work.

Florida is just a feel good story. You have Tkachuk coming there and doing amazing things for the entire team. I have always had a soft spot for Bob and am glad to see him doing so well. Nick Cousins is a solid depth guy who I liked with the Flyers. And then there is Radko Gudas. He had some discipline problems early, but I feel like he has been undervalued his entire career. Solid defenseman who has provided a steady hand for several teams now. Would love to see him get a cup. 
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1745 on: May 24, 2023, 09:42:33 AM »
Especially Petro. Armstrong did him wrong by not signing him and that was the beginning of the ‘downfall’ of what was a very reliable defense for years…..because of how freaking good and reliable Petro is.

I never understood this. And then to sign Krug to the contract he did...WTF? That made even less sense.

No one understands it. He signed Krug BEFORE Petro even signed with Vegas....while he was still supposedly negotiating with Petro. Petrangelo was never an ultimate top tier Defenseman but he crossed into that bottom section of 'top tier' in that Stanley Cup run and victory. What he was and still remains is a D Man that will log over 30 minutes a game, smart...and is positionally perfect and a really good defender. Oh yeah, good on PP's and PK's also and universally loved  by any teammate he's ever had.

It made no sense not to give the First Captain of the Blues ever to hoist the Cup what he wanted. A NMC and some guaranteed $$$. The way he takes care of himself, even the back end of his contract he'll be a very serviceable third line D man and great to have in the locker room.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1746 on: May 24, 2023, 10:03:31 AM »

No one understands it. He signed Krug BEFORE Petro even signed with Vegas....while he was still supposedly negotiating with Petro. Petrangelo was never an ultimate top tier Defenseman but he crossed into that bottom section of 'top tier' in that Stanley Cup run and victory. What he was and still remains is a D Man that will log over 30 minutes a game, smart...and is positionally perfect and a really good defender. Oh yeah, good on PP's and PK's also and universally loved  by any teammate he's ever had.

It made no sense not to give the First Captain of the Blues ever to hoist the Cup what he wanted. A NMC and some guaranteed $$$. The way he takes care of himself, even the back end of his contract he'll be a very serviceable third line D man and great to have in the locker room.

Wait, what? I could have swore we were both in agreement at the time that letting Petro go elsewhere was the right move.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1747 on: May 24, 2023, 11:06:55 AM »

Wait, what? I could have swore we were both in agreement at the time that letting Petro go elsewhere was the right move.

Pertaining to the guaranteed money....yes. Still don't know if he's worth it.....But I think that could have been negotiated more were Armstrong more receptive to the NMC. Even back then Petro was always going to give you a solid 3-4 years.....it was always the back end that was questionable.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1748 on: May 24, 2023, 01:26:15 PM »
Jamie Benn on the cross-check that led to his game misconduct:

“The game happens fast, emotions are high. Obviously I would have liked to not fall on him and use my stick as a landing point.”

I understand in the moment when emotions are high, but you can’t even own up to it after the fact? What a colossal prick.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1749 on: May 24, 2023, 01:40:39 PM »
Jamie Benn on the cross-check that led to his game misconduct:

“The game happens fast, emotions are high. Obviously I would have liked to not fall on him and use my stick as a landing point.”

I understand in the moment when emotions are high, but you can’t even own up to it after the fact? What a colossal prick.

What a cop out.....he's just trying to save money with that statement. Everyone saw it.....everyone knows that he intentionally crossed checked his chin. There was no falling and using his stick as a landing point. He used Stones head as a target.

This dude is a freaking a$$hole....plain and simple. He's 'benn' dirty for ages. Hope he gets the max fine and multiple games.