Author Topic: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN  (Read 66922 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN
« Reply #1785 on: May 30, 2023, 03:50:47 PM »
The Bruins made damn sure I had no conflicts for my Helloween show.

Did you send them a thank you card? :P

I asked Bruce Cassidy to deliver it!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1786 on: May 31, 2023, 06:37:13 AM »
The Bruins made damn sure I had no conflicts for my Helloween show.

Did you send them a thank you card? :P

I asked Bruce Cassidy to deliver it!

It's Butch Cassidy, isn't it?  :) :) :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1787 on: June 05, 2023, 08:18:13 PM »
Carolina probably deserved a better fate than being swept, but deserve's got nothing to do with it.  There is no stopping the Panthers.

Where is the option to delete a post? :P

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1788 on: June 05, 2023, 09:14:26 PM »
The time off off obviously killed Bobs’ mojo.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1789 on: June 05, 2023, 09:17:38 PM »
Yep. The way they were playing was tied to being on the heater of all heaters. They were just rolling.

....Florida waiting until 6/3 to play again only benefits the Knights. I don't see how Florida sitting around and not continuing to ride that momentum while it's fresh helps them at all.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1790 on: June 06, 2023, 03:03:50 AM »
The time off off obviously killed Bobs’ mojo.

Yeah, he’s not the same in this series.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1791 on: June 06, 2023, 05:28:58 AM »
Neither is the rest of the team, though.  They've walked the line between being aggressive bullies and being a sloppy, penalty-ridden team for most of the playoffs so far, and in this series, they've crossed the line.  Vegas is chewing up and spitting out the Panthers' penalty kill.   Gudas is not himself (even before the big hit to the head) and that hasn't helped either.  Finally, Tkachuk has seemingly come back to earth as well.

Not calling this yet, though.  Panthers have a whole lot of "do not quit" in them.  The wild card is, it's sometimes hard to "refind" your mojo, and Vegas is playing good, fundamental hockey. I hate them, but man is that fun to watch.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1792 on: June 06, 2023, 06:05:51 AM »
Tkachuck getting a misconduct was ridiculous. That was a good clean hit, shoulder to shoulder on the guy with possession of the puck.  Not like that affected the outcome, but what a bogus call.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #1793 on: June 06, 2023, 07:53:29 AM »
Tkachuk getting a misconduct was ridiculous. That was a good clean hit, shoulder to shoulder on the guy with possession of the puck.

He didn't get a misconduct for the hit, I assume it was for grabbing Pietrangelo from behind as a third party in the following scrum. I don't even think the hit was technically clean per the rulebook, but charges just don't get called the same in the playoffs like they do in the regular season.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1794 on: June 06, 2023, 09:39:31 AM »
Tkachuck getting a misconduct was ridiculous. That was a good clean hit, shoulder to shoulder on the guy with possession of the puck.  Not like that affected the outcome, but what a bogus call.

Yep. Clean and appropriate. Can’t skate through the middle of the ice with your head down and not expect to get hit. Eichel’s a little bitch anyway. I’m good with Vegas winning the cup….but it sucks he’s gonna get it. Total D Bag pre-Madonna

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1795 on: June 06, 2023, 10:37:02 AM »
At this point I'm just hoping Florida wins 1 game. I'll be at a show Saturday night during game 4.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1796 on: June 06, 2023, 01:31:23 PM »
Been reading around that there's a big trade coming that includes Flyers, Blue Jackets, and Kings.

Flyers are looking to trade Provorov to Columbus.  Blue Jackets are looking to give up the 1st round that they got from the Kings and a 2nd, the Kings are looking to give up a 2nd round pick, prospect Helge Grans, retain 30% of Provorov, and trade Petersen and Walker to Philly as well.

The fact that they got to trade a prospect, a 2nd, retain salary to move away from Petersen and Walker, which hasn't been optimal contracts as of late, in order to clear space to sign guys like Vilardi and Gavrikov makes me a bit anxious.

All right, I think now it is official.  At least, the Kings got some stuff back rather than trade a lot of stuff to gain space.  Not impactful stuff, but depth to play around.

https://twitter.com/LAKings/status/1666165771184078851?t=TW15WMu4q1z29-hbEdla4w&s=19

« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 11:37:15 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1797 on: June 06, 2023, 01:48:29 PM »
So...the Kings get out from under the Petersen and Walker contracts (collectively $7.65M for 2023-24 and $5M for 2024-25) and receive a couple of nobodys and have to shoulder 30% of the cap hit of a guy scheduled to earn $6.75M in 2023-24 and 2024-25 (so a smidge over $2M per year) - a net gain of $4.15M and $3M in cap space for the next two seasons (including the combined $1.5M in salary for Hodgson and Connauton in 2023-24)?

Sounds good to me!  Too bad the Kings will still be taking cap hits for Mike Richards for the next SIX seasons!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1798 on: June 07, 2023, 07:47:11 AM »
The Bri-era (TM) is off to a great start in Philly with that trade. Got more than expected for a defenseman who hasn't done much for three seasons, and did so by taking on bad contracts for two years thus fully acknowledging Philly's position as rebuilding. AND he made the Kings retain salary meaning the Flyers can still retain on up to three contracts (which will be two once Hayes is traded) giving them more flexibility with that going forward.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1799 on: June 07, 2023, 11:50:05 AM »
All right, officially official.  Vladislav Gavrikov has re-sign with the Kings for $5.875M AAV for two years.

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1666499022889050116

Gives the Kings only $7.3M to re-sign Vilardi, a goalie, maybe one more depth RFA forward, and bring up one of Jordan Spence and Brandt Clarke.  Should be doable, but I don't think they got much deadline space if they want to add.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1800 on: June 07, 2023, 01:34:18 PM »
Don't most leagues hold back news like this during the Finals? There's no moratorium?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1801 on: June 07, 2023, 01:48:14 PM »
Don't most leagues hold back news like this during the Finals? There's no moratorium?

What? I mean they could theoretically negotiate with the NHLPA that trades/signings are on pause for the finals, but there is no way to just ban *everyone* from reporting a thing that has happened.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1802 on: June 07, 2023, 01:59:30 PM »
Wish granted

Darren Pang leaving the Blues broadcast team for Chicago.  :metal
He’s a great color guy and all around good guy but 10 years of his schtick gets old. Looking forward to a fresh start and not hearing Holy Jumpin 19 times a game

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1803 on: June 07, 2023, 02:20:00 PM »
Wish granted

He’s a great color guy and all around good guy but 10 years of his schtick gets old. Looking forward to a fresh start and not hearing Holy Jumpin 19 times a game

On a similar note, Alex Faust was cut loose as the Kings PBP guy - apparently something to do with whatever is going on with Bally's.  Seems like they'll be doing a simulcast with Nick Nickson handling PBP and both Jim Fox and Daryl Evans doing commentary.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1804 on: June 07, 2023, 03:37:24 PM »

What? I mean they could theoretically negotiate with the NHLPA that trades/signings are on pause for the finals, but there is no way to just ban *everyone* from reporting a thing that has happened.

I just thought the Finals was a no news or no announcement period.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1805 on: June 07, 2023, 06:12:09 PM »
Wish granted

Is this your way of asking everyone here who has your number to not text you "HOLY JUMPIN'!" every time the Blues score a goal going forward? :P :P

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1806 on: June 07, 2023, 06:16:43 PM »
Wish granted

Is this your way of asking everyone here who has your number to not text you "HOLY JUMPIN'!" every time the Blues score a goal going forward? :P :P

Yes. Please no. Let’s not forget “like you read about”……that was uttered a million times as well. And poor Binnington…..he lost his world #1 fan. According to Pang Binnington hasn’t let up a goal that was his fault since…..well…..ever.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1807 on: June 07, 2023, 06:20:48 PM »
Wish granted

Yes. Please no. Let’s not forget “like you read about”……that was uttered a million times as well. And poor Binnington…..he lost his world #1 fan. According to Pang Binnington hasn’t let up a goal that was his fault since…..well…..ever.

Haha, I kid. I would never do it, I swear.

As an ex-goalie, I don't hold it against Panger for wanting to show support for the goalies.  Binnington will be out of the league in a few years anyway (I give it three years), so it won't matter for long.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1808 on: June 07, 2023, 06:26:41 PM »
I would take Panger in a trade for Jack Edwards.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1809 on: June 07, 2023, 06:48:03 PM »
I would take Panger in a trade for Jack Edwards.

We have a good one waiting in the wings. Retired defenseman Jamie Rivers has filled in for Pang a lot and has done well. Pretty sure they were grooming him for the spot.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1810 on: June 07, 2023, 07:39:24 PM »
Wish granted

Challenge accepted!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1811 on: June 08, 2023, 05:56:32 AM »
Wish granted

Challenge accepted!

I didn't wait.  :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1812 on: June 08, 2023, 09:02:40 PM »
What a garbage call at the end of regulation.  A Golden Knight trips over his own skate and they call a penalty on Florida, which will give Vegas nearly two minutes of a PP on fresh ice to start overtime.  This reminds me of my brother always says: great sport, garbage league.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1813 on: June 08, 2023, 09:25:10 PM »
Nice work Florida. Way to make it a series.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1814 on: June 08, 2023, 09:25:30 PM »
Glad to see that stupid call wasn't the difference.

And now we got a series again.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1815 on: June 09, 2023, 09:37:47 AM »
My son was ecstatic - no because he likes the Knights, but because he's going to Vegas next Thursday through the following Monday, and VGK in 5 would mean a decent chance of a parade while he's there.   :lol

Glad to see the Panthers pull it out.  Series doesn't start until a home team loses, so....  I'm quite amused how one penalty call translates to "garbage league."  I didn't see it, but even if it was a bad call, that's crazy hyperbole.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1816 on: June 09, 2023, 09:59:40 AM »
Well, I didn't say that one penalty call translated to a garbage league. The garbage league is meant more on a macro level.  See: the "fix" that got the Hawks the number 1 pick. :P :P

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1817 on: June 09, 2023, 10:04:02 AM »
Well, I didn't say that one penalty call translated to a garbage league. The garbage league is meant more on a macro level.  See: the "fix" that got the Hawks the number 1 pick. :P :P

I hate to defend the NHL, which has plenty of issues and things I don't agree with, but would you care to provide some actual other reasons the league is garbage?

No league is perfect, but generally it's miles ahead of at least MLB at least.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1818 on: June 09, 2023, 10:13:49 AM »
I saw a replay, and at first, I can understand how it could be seen as a BS call.  Upon seeing the replay, it's clear the Panthers player (I think it was Forsling) slightly clipped toes with the Vegas player, which in turn negated a potential 2-on-1 inside the blue line.  It was completely accidental; the call could've gone either way, and either could be seen as the 'right' call (depending on which team you're a fan of ;))

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1819 on: June 09, 2023, 10:26:21 AM »

I hate to defend the NHL, which has plenty of issues and things I don't agree with, but would you care to provide some actual other reasons the league is garbage?

No league is perfect, but generally it's miles ahead of at least MLB at least.

For the record, I did say that my brother said it is a garbage league, and that call reminded me of why he says that, but I will unpack this more a bit later after the (slow) work day is finished.