Author Topic: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN  (Read 70520 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN
« Reply #1855 on: June 21, 2023, 03:08:05 PM »
Don't they also put in a token European? Surely that's not Lundquist.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1856 on: June 21, 2023, 03:42:33 PM »
Wow... 3 goalies.  If you'd have asked me earlier, I would've guessed that Vernon and Barrasso were already in.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1857 on: June 21, 2023, 03:57:40 PM »
Wow... 3 goalies.  If you'd have asked me earlier, I would've guessed that Vernon and Barrasso were already in.
Really? I wouldn't have thought Vernon was HoF worthy.  Maybe i need to revisit his stats.

Don't they also put in a token European? Surely that's not Lundquist.

They had a legit European player in Lundqvist, so there was no need for a token addition.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1858 on: June 21, 2023, 03:59:03 PM »

They had a legit European player in Lundqvist, so there was no need for a token addition.

Yeah, maybe that's it, but it's usually a non NHLer.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1859 on: June 21, 2023, 04:45:43 PM »

Really? I wouldn't have thought Vernon was HoF worthy.  Maybe i need to revisit his stats.

These photos were from the NHL's Facebook post:

My immediate reaction was, "well...Jonathan Quick is a shoe-in."

Wins:  Vernon - 16; Barrasso - T20 (of the eligible goalies in the top 20, only CuJo, Osgood, Vanbiesbrouck and Moog are not in the HHOF)

GAA:  Vernon - 130; Barrasso - 150 (lots of guys with better GAA not in the HHOF)

S%:  Barrasso (.8920) - 130; Vernon (.8895) - 135 (same as with GAA)

Adjusted GAA:  Vernon - 67; Barrasso - 89 (adjusted GAA is GAA with an era normalization adjustment)

Seems to be both of these guys are longevity picks.  How you put a guy like Barrasso in but not a guy like CuJo....  Obviously, it's nothing more than Barrasso having the good fortune to play with Lemieux and Jagr (and Kevin Stevens and Rick Tocchet and Larry Murphy, etc.).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1860 on: June 21, 2023, 04:49:09 PM »
The other photos from the NHL Facebook post:

By the way, every eligible player with more points than Turgeon (34th all time) is in.  The guy with the next most points who's eligible and not in is Jeremy Roenik at #47 with 1,216 points.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1861 on: June 21, 2023, 10:23:23 PM »
Cujo didn't win any cups though, so that probably helped Barrasso and Vernon. Given enough time,  everyone gets in....apparently.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1862 on: June 22, 2023, 04:33:17 AM »
Cujo didn't win any cups though, so that probably helped Barrasso and Vernon. Given enough time,  everyone gets in....apparently.

CuJo won't.  No cups and no individual trophies.  He'll end up infamously as the best goalie in NHL history NOT in the HOF. 
Gotta remember the era that both Vernon and Barasso played in was not the era of sub 2.50 GAA and .910+ save percentage being the standard of excellence (except if your name is Hasek).  The fact that CuJo has only 5 less wins than King Henry, while having a higher GAA (2.79 vs 2.43) and lower SV (.906 vs .918) validates this.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1863 on: June 23, 2023, 02:11:05 PM »

That glove save in the playoffs by Vernon while he was with Calgary was one of the best saves I've ever seen.

His fight with Roy while he was with Detroit was one of the best goalie fights I've ever seen.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1864 on: June 23, 2023, 02:42:59 PM »

That glove save in the playoffs by Vernon while he was with Calgary was one of the best saves I've ever seen.

His fight with Roy while he was with Detroit was one of the best goalie fights I've ever seen.

This save - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE4qNO1A7cI ??

And yeah, that was a great fight, but Potvin/Hextall was better.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1865 on: June 23, 2023, 02:44:57 PM »
FWIW, Tom Barrasso is third all time among goalies for penalty minutes, and I'll bet everyone who follows this thread will almost instantly know who the top two are.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1866 on: June 23, 2023, 03:34:09 PM »
FWIW, Tom Barrasso is third all time among goalies for penalty minutes, and I'll bet everyone who follows this thread will almost instantly know who the top two are.

Gotta be Hex and Billy.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1867 on: June 23, 2023, 04:16:27 PM »
Nope.  Darren Pang and Stephane Fiset.

Nah...you're right.   :biggrin:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1868 on: June 23, 2023, 04:20:07 PM »
HOLY JUMPIN!!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1869 on: June 23, 2023, 04:20:36 PM »
I'm still looking for the Darren Pang goalie fight video.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1870 on: June 24, 2023, 05:28:05 PM »
Big Blues/Flyers trade pending at least one player waiving their trade protection.

Involves at least Hayes.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1871 on: June 24, 2023, 06:34:49 PM »
Big Blues/Flyers trade pending at least one player waiving their trade protection.

Involves at least Hayes.

Oooooo……exciting! Wonder who it could be?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1872 on: June 25, 2023, 10:49:07 PM »
Apparently, the Blues and Flyers trade has stalled.  It seems like Krug was the guy that needed to be persuaded to waive his NTC and it's a no-go on that end so far.

On the Kings end, they have traded Sean Durzi to the Coyotes for Montreal's 2024 2nd round pick.  Solid offense-driving young defenseman.  Found himself in rough spots defensively that have led to goals against.  The Coyotes could use a young defensemen like Durzi to drive the offense in the blue line though.  As for the Kings, they got cap space ($9M as of right now, with 16/23 roster spots locked) and opened spots for guys like Jordan Spence and Brandt Clarke to step in and fill that void, hopefully more comfortably in the defensive metrics. 

There are also some reports that's gaining traction of a big trade for the Kings to trade for and sign Winnipeg Jets center, Pierre-Luc Dubois.  The cost will apparently involve Gabe Vilardi and Alex Iafallo and other stuff.  I'm not too huge on this development.  Vilardi, after 6 years since they drafted him, finally looks like a very solid every day player (although injuries reared part of that good season he had) and Iafallo is a very solid defensive forward with good enough streaks of offense in him.  Also, it doesn't help that it looks like PLD has dogged near the end of the 1st two teams he was a part of in his NHL career.  Great upside and has good production thus far, but in my opinion, I don't like those kinds of players that just dogs it because they don't want to be in those teams (I know Winnipeg and Columbus aren't attractive cities to play in, but still.  You kill your own perception and worth when it looks like you aren't trying as much for these teams.)

Then again, I think back at the Mike Richards and the Jeff Carter trades the Kings pulled in 2011-12 and they had their own reputations at the time that people didn't like in Philly and Columbus and I look back at the pieces the Kings gave up.  Brayden Schenn, Wayne Simmonds, Jack Johnson, etc, and this was also after the Kings making it to the playoffs two years in a row and not making it out of the first round.  Could be Rob Blake's version of pulling these kinds of move to try to shake the roster up after losing twice to the Oilers in the 1st round and he's thinking, "We can't run the roster again with the same group of forwards.  A shift needs to happen."  I just wish he gets the goalie situation sorted out before any ideas of going big game forward hunting.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1873 on: June 26, 2023, 07:44:42 AM »

This save - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE4qNO1A7cI ??

And yeah, that was a great fight, but Potvin/Hextall was better.

THat's the one!!!!!

I went to college with a guy that played backup to Barasso at Acton Boxboro in high school.   

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1874 on: June 26, 2023, 07:51:13 AM »
If Armstrong can move Krug he won’t have to do anything else this off-season for me to consider it a win.

Krug has removed all indicators of him being a St. Louis Blue from his social media……and reports late last night was that there was some movement in him budging on his NTC. Rumor is it has to deal with Florida being a third team that Philly would then flip him to.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1875 on: June 26, 2023, 09:42:50 AM »
If Armstrong can move Krug he won’t have to do anything else this off-season for me to consider it a win.

Krug has removed all indicators of him being a St. Louis Blue from his social media……and reports late last night was that there was some movement in him budging on his NTC. Rumor is it has to deal with Florida being a third team that Philly would then flip him to.

Doubtful he gets flipped. I don't know much about Krug, but my sense is that for him to be flipped either salary has to be retained or assets given up. Flyers are in asset stocking mode, not the opposite, and they are using 1 retain on Hayes in this deal, and another on DeAngelo in a deal being worked on with Carolina. That leaves them only 1 retain left, and I doubt they tie that up with Krug.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1876 on: June 26, 2023, 09:53:14 AM »

Doubtful he gets flipped. I don't know much about Krug, but my sense is that for him to be flipped either salary has to be retained or assets given up. Flyers are in asset stocking mode, not the opposite, and they are using 1 retain on Hayes in this deal, and another on DeAngelo in a deal being worked on with Carolina. That leaves them only 1 retain left, and I doubt they tie that up with Krug.

I mean, who doesn’t want an undersized forward that plays poor defense, can’t move anyone from in front of the net…..occasionally helps on the PP and will probably miss 40 games to some sort of random injury?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1877 on: June 27, 2023, 11:20:12 AM »
Blues did great here. Hayes isn't spectacular or anything, but they are getting a very good player at half cap hit for essentially nothing. He's obviously on the declining half of his career, but I don't think you'll sign a UFA for the same money and get someone as good right now.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1878 on: June 27, 2023, 11:53:29 AM »
Blues did great here. Hayes isn't spectacular or anything, but they are getting a very good player at half cap hit for essentially nothing. He's obviously on the declining half of his career, but I don't think you'll sign a UFA for the same money and get someone as good right now.

Yep....I'll take it. This will free up the Buchnevich experiment at center and put him back on the wing where he is more comfortable.

I'm still holding my breath that Armstrong finds a way to dump....I mean....trade Krug. If all else fails I'd invest in the worlds greatest hypnotist and convince him to tell the Blues that he's suffering from a career ending injury and can no longer play. Anything to keep him out of the lineup.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1879 on: June 27, 2023, 02:51:52 PM »
Officially official.  Pierre-Luc Dubois is now part of the Kings and signed a max 8 year deal at $8.5M AAV.  The pieces going is Alex Iafallo, Gabe Vilardi, Rasmus Kupari, and a 2024 2nd round pick.

This deal sucks and I will blame Marc Bergevin for it.

https://twitter.com/LAKings/status/1673795790001799168

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1880 on: June 27, 2023, 03:14:19 PM »
So...the Kings are giving up a combined 44.4 goals and 55.8 assists per 82 games for a single guy whose 82 game averages are 24.4 goals and 32.7 assists?  In other words, they're losing 20 goals and 20 assists per 82 games (and a draft pick)?  For a guy who's never sniffed an ASG?  AND they're going to pay him more than any player on the roster not named Kopitar or Doughty (and more than guys like Leon Draisaitl are making)?!

What the actual fuck?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1881 on: June 27, 2023, 03:15:22 PM »
So...the Kings are giving up a combined 44.4 goals and 55.8 assists per 82 games for a single guy whose 82 game averages are 24.4 goals and 32.7 assists?  In other words, they're losing 20 goals and 20 assists per 82 games (and a draft pick)?  For a guy who's never sniffed an ASG?  AND they're going to pay him more than any player on the roster not named Kopitar or Doughty (and more than guys like Leon Draisaitl are making)?!

What the actual fuck?!

And isn't he a not great room guy?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1882 on: June 27, 2023, 03:16:05 PM »
Beats me.  I know nothing about him.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1883 on: June 27, 2023, 03:54:51 PM »

Well, he left both of his teams on not-favorable terms (according to the sports media).  He was clear with the Jets org'n that he was not going to re-sign.  And I seem to recall him being a big problem and refusing to put forth an effort when Torts was coaching CBJ.

I thing Chevy got a good return for him.  That's a pretty rich contract LA gave him given his performance.  And it pisses me off because Nylander's agents will use that kind of contract as a comparable to get Willie north of $9M.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1884 on: June 27, 2023, 03:56:25 PM »

Well, he left both of his teams on not-favorable terms (according to the sports media).  He was clear with the Jets org'n that he was not going to re-sign.  And I seem to recall him being a big problem and refusing to put forth an effort when Torts was coaching CBJ.

I thing Chevy got a good return for him.  That's a pretty rich contract LA gave him given his performance.  And it pisses me off because Nylander's agents will use that kind of contract as a comparable to get Willie north of $9M.

Wasn't Nylander a hold out for the last contract?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1885 on: June 27, 2023, 03:58:20 PM »

Wasn't Nylander a hold out for the last contract?

Yup.. about 3 days before the deadline that would've forced him to sit for the season.  It's seemed excessive back then, but his output the past 2-3 years at $6.9M AAV was pretty good value.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1886 on: June 27, 2023, 04:03:36 PM »
I think he's sneaky important for the Leafs. The guy they need to shed is Tavares, if they need to lose one of the big four of Mattews/Marner/Tavares/Nylander.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1887 on: June 27, 2023, 05:22:58 PM »
In other news, Tyler Toffoli got traded from the Flames to the Devils and didn't cost much for the Devils to acquire him.  I like how this Devils group is loading up.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1888 on: June 27, 2023, 05:24:10 PM »
Can someone explain why the Flyers traded Hayes for a bag of pucks? Was this a pure salary dump?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1889 on: June 27, 2023, 05:25:17 PM »

Well...that's great.  We lose a net 20 goals and 20 assists and a draft pick for an asshole AND gave him a rich contract.  Is Rob Blake trying to make Kings fans long for the days of Sam McMaster and Dave Taylor?