Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 102982 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2022 NFL Thread (Bengals/Chiefs and 49ers/Eagles incoming!)
« Reply #2625 on: January 25, 2023, 08:21:56 PM »
I continue to chuckle at the way the media talks up Jackson.  During the Bengals/Ravens playoff game, Tirico actually said it was an uphill battle playing the game without their unanimous MVP QB.  :lol :lol  Uh, that was 2019, and Jackson hasn't been close to that level on a consistent basis since, but we can't let that get in the way of a good narrative. 

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2626 on: January 25, 2023, 09:16:16 PM »
I stumbled on this channel today, didn't know Kurt Warner did this kind of analysis and put it on youtube.

This one is of the Cowboys v 49ers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PozPldpWiOc&t=573s&ab_channel=KurtWarnerxQBConfidential

It's over 50 mins long and detailed and "boring" for most people I imagine, either way it's my kind of video where there's a lot of information and Kurt's own experience shines here. Ronde Barber does something similar for the Bucs channel though those are very short and not as detailed as this.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2627 on: January 25, 2023, 09:58:42 PM »
Yeah, his analysis is good.  But it is long and somewhat tedious.  I like Jonnydel's a LOT better (although he focuses on 49ers):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhJN7L7aU_Y

He does the same thing, but does a better job explaining and making it more interesting.  And he tells you why he is choosing the plays he is choosing to analyze rather than just having them be random plays. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2628 on: January 25, 2023, 10:01:26 PM »
I stumbled on this channel today, didn't know Kurt Warner did this kind of analysis and put it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PozPldpWiOc&t=573s&ab_channel=KurtWarnerxQBConfidential

It's over 50 mins long and detailed and "boring" for most people I imagine, either way it's my kind of video where there's a lot of information and Kurt's own experience shines here. Ronde Barber does something similar for the Bucs channel though those are very short and not as detailed as this.
The NFL supplying All 22 video has been a boon for people who want to better understand the nuts and bolts. I really like the added detail you get from them. It's amazing how much pro players have to be able to understand and react instantly.

A few people have been doing these for a while. I really Samuel Gold, myself. Brett Kollmann is very good, too. I wasn't aware of Warner doing one, but it makes sense. There's a big difference, though. Warner's delivery is essentially what a coach would do on Tuesday morning. I'm not making 5 million a year so I'm not required to sit through it. Some of the other guys are putting together nice presentations. Better use of the telestrator (or whatever we're calling it now). Rehearsed, prepared dialogue. Basically the sorts of stuff that make something not quite so tedious.

That said, while they seem to know their business, I have no idea who Kollmann and Gold actually are. Warner's a freaking hall of famer.  :lol

These are both Patriots related, but they're good examples.

Brett Kollmann
Sam Gold

edit: AKA, what Bosk said.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2629 on: January 25, 2023, 10:13:47 PM »
Nice thanks for the recs, will check those out. I should've expected there'd be many of these out there.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2630 on: January 26, 2023, 06:45:55 AM »
Yep, white QBs always get fawned over by the media. Just ask Kirk Cousins and Jimmy G.  :lol :lol

The racism argument is lame and off base.   Deshaun Watson should have been crucified a LOT more than he was, and of course both Lamar Jackson and Dak Prescott have been consistently held with kid gloves.  The latest is the new golden boy, Jalen Hurts. He hasn't won anything either and he's basically walking on water at this point.   Meanwhile, Daniel Jones is a head case and yet another example of the ineptitude of the Giants (at least until this year).

Let's face it:  Mahomes is very good, he's just not the second coming of Christ that Dream Team thinks he is.  (And I love that Dream Team is trying to argue that "Mahomes has a ring!" as if that matters to him now.  Okay, BRADY HAS SEVEN AND COUNTING.)

Dream Team's slurping aside :P, Mahomes is not very good; he is great, by any measure.   I know you like being the one holdout on this ;), but if everyone else sees it, maybe you aren't looking at right. :)

I don't dislike him as much as some of you think.  I won't argue with "great".  He is. I'm not dumb, and I watch the games.  I do, though, continue to think the slurping is out of hand.   He's great, he's not the GREATEST, there's a difference.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #2631 on: January 26, 2023, 07:22:22 AM »
Stat of the day!

4th Q TD drives led over 1st 6 playoff starts (Burrow's current total):

Patrick Mahomes: 10
          Josh Allen: 6
   Aaron Rodgers: 5
 Peyton Manning: 3
       Drew Brees: 3
        Tom Brady: 3
       Joe Burrow: 0

The first 5 for Burrow were all 1-score games in the 4th quarter. It's nice to have a great defense!

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2632 on: January 26, 2023, 08:28:40 AM »
As to Kittle's catch
OK, that may have been one of the greatest catches I’ve ever seen in my life!

I mean, it was nice, quite fortunate (better than I could have done😉 ) but I grew up watching Charlie Sanders making better catches every other week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrlO5mMqn7Y  (mute the music….)

There’s so many more not shown, when he was in the air and getting drilled by the likes of Butkis or Nitschke or a Purple People Eater throughout the years, and somehow holding onto the ball.

Meanwhile, none of those came close to the one by Justin Jefferson earlier this year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S6JtcxFvUM

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2633 on: January 26, 2023, 08:41:40 AM »
Stat of the day!

4th Q TD drives led over 1st 6 playoff starts (Burrow's current total):

Patrick Mahomes: 10
          Josh Allen: 6
   Aaron Rodgers: 5
 Peyton Manning: 3
       Drew Brees: 3
        Tom Brady: 3
       Joe Burrow: 0

The first 5 for Burrow were all 1-score games in the 4th quarter. It's nice to have a great defense!

So let's gear the stat very precisely to favor Mahomes. If you look at just fourth quarter comeback drives in the playoffs, Mahomes is nowhere to be found (at least in the top 10):

1   Tom Brady                 9   2000-2022
2   Joe Montana+           5   1979-1994
3   Terry Bradshaw+   4   1970-1983
        John Elway+           4   1983-1998
        Eli Manning           4   2004-2019
        Russell Wilson           4   2012-2022
7   Ken Stabler+           3   1970-1984
        Ben Roethlisberger   3   2004-2021
        Dan Marino+           3   1983-1999
        Dan Fouts+           3   1973-1987

(Mahomes has 2 and counting; this sort of undermines your point, since that means that at least eight of them weren't to change the lead, but just to pad. That doesn't seem to be a problem of "defense", does it?)

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2634 on: January 26, 2023, 08:51:20 AM »
And, Mahomes just tied Joe Flacco for having won a playoff game five years in a row. ;)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2635 on: January 26, 2023, 08:55:58 AM »
final catchup post with no mustard...

"Cocky" is just one of those things where you like it if it's your guy, and it's offputting if it's "the other guy."  Personally, I don't like how Burrow wears it and I find it offputting.  But I can see how others might not be bothered by it or might admire his brand of bravado.  For me, it just rubs me the wrong way.

Did you like Sherman better once he was a Niner?  ;D ;)

Absolutely.  Good case in point.  BUT he's also an interesting case study because I didn't initially like the acquisition and remained set in my ways about him at first.  But what happened was, since he was a 49er, there was more local coverage of him, which allowed me to get to "know" him more, which in turn helped me warm up to him.  It all kinda worked together in that regard.  But you're right to point that out because it's a perfect example of what I described.  "Hypocrisy" is probably too strong a word for it, but it's not too dissimilar.

Opponents:  oh, how Steeler Hines Ward got under the skin of so many Ravens fans.  Then ask them a simple question:  ‘Would you want him on your team?’  The smart ones would say:  ‘In a heartbeat!’

I felt the same as to Brady and Belichick.  You know, ‘if you’d beat them a few more times, there wouldn't be so much hate' or ‘wish they were Ravens, and other fans hated US so much because of it’. (that, and the ten thousand needless close ups every game, unlike the TV telecasts from the good old days)

Plus, I still have a soft spot for ol’ #10 helping Michigan defeat Alabama in the Orange Bowl on my last New Year's Day in the Great Lake State.

Bosk….it wasn’t that long ago that the Ravens had a twelve game winning streak as they entered the playoffs.  All it took was a couple of injuries, OC Greg Roman calling 71 passing plays, 59 thrown (you remember all those passes he called late in the SB against the Ravens, right?), an opponent playing a near perfect game, and……. >:( :tdwn

I continue to chuckle at the way the media talks up Jackson.  During the Bengals/Ravens playoff game, Tirico actually said it was an uphill battle playing the game without their unanimous MVP QB.  :lol :lol  Uh, that was 2019, and Jackson hasn't been close to that level on a consistent basis since, but we can't let that get in the way of a good narrative.

Pointing out a few things in Lamar’s defense.  First, the excitement of 2019 regular season.  Like watching Barry Sanders at QB.  And then came OC Greg Roman’s game plan play calling debacle against Tennessee. >:( >:( :censored :tdwn

2020:  yes, he didn’t finish the playoff game in the 50 MPH gusts of Buffalo, and they only managed three points (hell…Tucker missed TWO FGs that night).  He left after retrieving a snap ten feet over his head, simply trying to grab it then throw it OB, before getting his head slammed to the turf.  We do still have the memorable MNF 'run to the john, and then throw a 4th down TD' and all that ensued win at Cleveland as one hell of a memory (In Tuck We Trust).

2021:  sprained his ankle running OB and landed on the 1st down marker.

2022:  injured on a run of the mill QB sack.

All of these came when he was NOT doing a designated running play, with the odds of getting hit increased (he was amazingly good at avoiding direct hits on those plays)

That said….he’s been an immature horse’s axe throughout the year.  I can’t swing a dead cat without hearing about his contract or injury every ten minutes on our local sports radio (so I've basically tuned it out).  And every night on the local TV sports, or the sports section of The Sun.   Not sure what next year brings, but no one could do anything with the WRs or lack of decent passing schemes.  Personally, after his juvenile Twitter post a few months ago along with the drama and childish actions, I’m fine with him being someone else’s problem next year.

And then that money can go towards the multiple holes this offense has, and the few new ones the defense will have during the offseason.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 10:00:03 AM by DragonAttack »

Online pg1067

« Reply #2636 on: January 26, 2023, 09:35:05 AM »
Dream Team's slurping aside :P, Mahomes is not very good; he is great, by any measure.   I know you like being the one holdout on this ;), but if everyone else sees it, maybe you aren't looking at right. :)

Yeah, but he's no Scott Rolen.   :biggrin:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2637 on: January 26, 2023, 09:55:03 AM »
Bosk….it wasn’t that long ago that the Ravens had a twelve game winning streak as they entered the playoffs.  All it took was a couple of injuries, OC Greg Roman calling 71 passing plays, 59 thrown (you remember all those passes he called late in the SB against the Ravens, right?), an opponent playing a near perfect game, and…….

Oh, sure.  I don't disagree with that at all.  But those things are equally true of any opponents they might be facing as well.  I've never said they couldn't lose or that things couldn't go wrong for them.  Just that I have to look at them as the overwhelming favorites based on what they and the other remaining teams of done up to this point and their overall health and performance right now
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2638 on: January 26, 2023, 10:17:00 AM »
Bosk….it wasn’t that long ago that the Ravens had a twelve game winning streak as they entered the playoffs.  All it took was a couple of injuries, OC Greg Roman calling 71 passing plays, 59 thrown (you remember all those passes he called late in the SB against the Ravens, right?), an opponent playing a near perfect game, and…….

Oh, sure.  I don't disagree with that at all.  But those things are equally true of any opponents they might be facing as well.  I've never said they couldn't lose or that things couldn't go wrong for them.  Just that I have to look at them as the overwhelming favorites based on what they and the other remaining teams of done up to this point and their overall health and performance right now.

It was the 'twelve game streak' that stood out for me (painfully so  :sad:  ) that I was responding to. 

Other than the aberration of the Chargers losing to the Jags in spite of that 5-0 advantage in turnovers (and how the defenses respond), that will be a key on Sunday (as always). 

I learned an interesting fact today (maybe days behind others).  The Eagles have two defensive assistants who were on the Iowa State staff while Purdy was there.  That is more than fascinating to me.  Maybe he has one little 'tick' of body language before a pass or run that they know of, that no one else in the league does.  That could be an advantage.

Or the Niners use it to theirs.  Hmmmmm.......

Still taking the Eagles 20-16.

AFC:  I remember how Mahomes performed with the bad toe in his last SB. It wasn't pretty.  I also remember having a high ankle sprain in HS, finished the game, and was on crutches for two weeks afterwards.  That ankle will be worse this Sunday than last week.  If not, he still won't be able to dart stop on a dime and change direction, and he'll be using more arm than leg to throw from the pocket.

I've also seen 2x a year against the Ravens, that even when they weren't good,  the Bengals can play that physical 'globber snot' type of game.  And, they're pretty good this year (even with that OL).  Cincy 27-17, with Henne perhaps in at the end.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 02:08:43 PM by DragonAttack »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2639 on: January 26, 2023, 10:33:22 AM »
Ok, prediction time...

Niners over Iggles

Bengals over Chefs

And of course the Niners take down the Bengals for the third time.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2640 on: January 26, 2023, 10:37:59 AM »
And of course, all these excuses for the QBs that are hurt simply makes my case for me.  I certainly do NOT want to see anyone hurt, of course, but that's part of the game.  Who knows if Ben or Kenny or Philip or Andrew wouldn't have been the greatest if they played healthy?  And for those that were hurt, what about Peyton?  He couldn't even lift his arms over his head and could barely float a ball 20 yards downfield, and found a way to win a Super Bowl.  If you're REALLY the greatest, there are no excuses, you figure it out.  Like Brady did SEVEN TIMES.  Like Peyton and Ben did twice.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Online pg1067

« Reply #2643 on: January 26, 2023, 11:39:50 AM »
RJ,

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/26/49ers-seeking-their-37th-postseason-win-tying-the-patriots-for-most-in-nfl-history/

Cool... Shame we don't have the 7 rings to go with it. So close two times though.

Whoever wrote that article miscounted.  The Patriots have 36 NFL playoff wins plus 1 AFL playoff win (against 21 NFL playoff losses and 1 AFL playoff loss).  The 49ers also have 36 NFL playoff wins plus 1 AAFC playoff win (against 22 NFL playoff losses and 1 AAFC playoff loss), so they're already tied.  The Steelers also have 36 NFL playoff wins (against 27 losses).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2644 on: January 26, 2023, 11:45:58 AM »
Ok, prediction time...

Niners over Iggles

Bengals over Chefs

Right there with you.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2645 on: January 26, 2023, 11:52:02 AM »
RJ,

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/26/49ers-seeking-their-37th-postseason-win-tying-the-patriots-for-most-in-nfl-history/

Cool... Shame we don't have the 7 rings to go with it. So close two times though.

Whoever wrote that article miscounted.  The Patriots have 36 NFL playoff wins plus 1 AFL playoff win (against 21 NFL playoff losses and 1 AFL playoff loss).  The 49ers also have 36 NFL playoff wins plus 1 AAFC playoff win (against 22 NFL playoff losses and 1 AAFC playoff loss), so they're already tied.  The Steelers also have 36 NFL playoff wins (against 27 losses).

Youare correct but even pro football refrence goes with the AAFC win. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2646 on: January 26, 2023, 12:54:01 PM »
Ok, prediction time...

Niners over Iggles

Bengals over Chefs

Right there with you.

Were coming together like Voltron...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2647 on: January 26, 2023, 01:19:43 PM »
:zydarscouch:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2648 on: January 26, 2023, 02:43:17 PM »
If Mahomes is healthy enough to beat the Bengals Sunday, he'll be healthy enough two weeks later to beat the Niners. I'll be rooting for the Niners in that situation, obviously, but if I had money on the game, it would have to go to the Chiefs. And hey, I think a fully charged Chiefs beat the Eagles as well, which would make for a cool storyline via Andy Reid.

So basically I'm going with this:
Chiefs win Sunday, they take the Super Bowl.
Bengals win Sunday, the winner of the NFC Championship game wins the Super Bowl.

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2649 on: January 26, 2023, 02:47:02 PM »
If Mahomes is healthy enough to beat the Bengals Sunday, he'll be healthy enough two weeks later to beat the Niners. I'll be rooting for the Niners in that situation, obviously, but if I had money on the game, it would have to go to the Chiefs. And hey, I think a fully charged Chiefs beat the Eagles as well, which would make for a cool storyline via Andy Reid.

Bengals win Sunday, the winner of the NFC Championship game wins the Super Bowl.

I'm not saying anything for fear of the gooch, but suffice that I disagree with a fair amount of that.  :) :) :)

EDIT:  WTF is wrong with this world?  I googled "gooch" and "goocher" to check spelling, two words I always used growing up to be synonymous with "jinx", and I find now that's it another word for the perineum.  Is nothing sacred?  FFS. 

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2650 on: January 26, 2023, 03:11:43 PM »

I'm not saying anything for fear of the gooch, but suffice that I disagree with a fair amount of that.  :) :) :)

EDIT:  WTF is wrong with this world?  I googled "gooch" and "goocher" to check spelling, two words I always used growing up to be synonymous with "jinx", and I find now that's it another word for the perineum.  Is nothing sacred?  FFS.

And I had to google ‘perineum’ just now :lol

‘Taint’ was/is our phrase.

Made for a lot of fun with various lyrics.

‘Taint nothin’ butt the real thing, baby, taint nothin’ real at all….’

Online pg1067

« Reply #2651 on: January 26, 2023, 03:19:43 PM »

The one and only context I have ever heard "gooch" is from Diff'rent Strokes.  There was an unseen character called "The Gooch" who bullied Arnold at school.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2652 on: January 26, 2023, 03:51:16 PM »
I've never seen gooch used before now.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2653 on: January 26, 2023, 03:55:02 PM »
I've never seen gooch used before now.

I'm sure it appeared in a post by King...even though he meant something entirely different.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2654 on: January 26, 2023, 04:40:25 PM »
You mother  .......

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2655 on: January 26, 2023, 04:55:42 PM »
 :-*

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2656 on: January 26, 2023, 05:20:52 PM »
 :biggrin: :biggrin: :lol :lol :rollin :rollin  (internets winners of the week!)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2657 on: January 26, 2023, 05:29:14 PM »
Too many posts today to catch up on them all, but not sure I agree with Nick's sentiment that if KC wins, they win the SB, and if the Bengals win, they lose to whoever comes out of the NFC.  The Bengals have been red hot since their rough start and have as good a chance as the other three teams left to win it, but I get it.  It's the Bengals, who are historically the Bungles, but if the Blues can win a Stanley Cup, anything is possible now in sports.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2658 on: January 26, 2023, 06:01:28 PM »
Love you too RJ.  LOL

Bengals
San Fran

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2659 on: January 26, 2023, 07:29:57 PM »

The NFL supplying All 22 video has been a boon for people who want to better understand the nuts and bolts. I really like the added detail you get from them. It's amazing how much pro players have to be able to understand and react instantly.

A few people have been doing these for a while. I really Samuel Gold, myself. Brett Kollmann is very good, too. I wasn't aware of Warner doing one, but it makes sense. There's a big difference, though. Warner's delivery is essentially what a coach would do on Tuesday morning. I'm not making 5 million a year so I'm not required to sit through it. Some of the other guys are putting together nice presentations. Better use of the telestrator (or whatever we're calling it now). Rehearsed, prepared dialogue. Basically the sorts of stuff that make something not quite so tedious.

That said, while they seem to know their business, I have no idea who Kollmann and Gold actually are. Warner's a freaking hall of famer.  :lol

These are both Patriots related, but they're good examples.

Brett Kollmann
Sam Gold

edit: AKA, what Bosk said.

Yeah, those are good as well.  But I REALLY love Jonnydel's film breakdowns.  They are just done in a really interesting, informative, and entertaining way.  I would highly recommend the SF/Dallas one I linked above.  Just watch it and tell me what you think of his style.  (and his opening transitions into his Manscaped sponsorship ads are kinda hilarious)