Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 102951 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 2022 NFL Thread (Bengals/Chiefs and 49ers/Eagles incoming!)
« Reply #2590 on: January 24, 2023, 09:58:20 AM »
The talking heads this week are more entertaining than the actual games.  "Dak Prescott is nothing but just another Kirk Cousins with a better brand."  :lol  :loser:
What's wrong with that statement?   :)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2591 on: January 24, 2023, 10:05:53 AM »
I would love to see the Niners beat the Eagles this Saturday.
At a morning staff meeting today, the Eagles fans were already going on a tear. One young lady I work with was talking about how she thinks Burrow is a much better QB than Mahomes, and I replied, "looking forward to seeing how they play against Niners D in the Super Bowl". And, instead of just taking the joke, like someone who has been gloating about her team all morning should, she gave me this awful look like I just said something disgusting and walked away.

Eagles fans need to be knocked down a peg. Nothing worse than Eagles fans who are feelin' themselves. Go Niners.

As someone who went to college in Pennsylvania during the McNabb years, yes, Eagles fans are the worst. I would love nothing more than to see them lose. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2592 on: January 24, 2023, 10:14:18 AM »
The talking heads this week are more entertaining than the actual games.  "Dak Prescott is nothing but just another Kirk Cousins with a better brand."  :lol  :loser:
What's wrong with that statement?   :)

Did I say there was anything wrong with it?  It's absolutely true.  Next question...
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2593 on: January 24, 2023, 10:40:38 AM »
Stads, you hear about the Pats signing O'Brien as the OC this morning?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2594 on: January 24, 2023, 10:46:14 AM »
Stads, you hear about the Pats signing O'Brien as the OC this morning?

Been there. Done that.

ESPN is reporting that O'Brien is in at NE. Overall this is a good thing. On the one hand I don't think OC was the problem this year. Doesn't matter who's calling the plays if you can't execute, and that was the problem. That said, better playing calling is still a good thing, even if it doesn't solve the problem. What matters is giving McCorkle somebody in his ear he knows and trusts. Towards the end of the season I started thinking that he wasn't making the progress he should be, and perhaps he's not the guy going forward. Verdicts still way out on that one. Having BOB in there will go a long way to addressing that. Most importantly, I'm just tired of hearing about how Patricia was the reason why they suck. Like I said, overall a good thing.

It's also possible they bring back one or two former assistants, and that'll be a big help, too. As I've been saying, brain drain is a problem, but probably not as big as culture drain.

I was going to post that; I think your post is spot on, top to bottom.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2595 on: January 24, 2023, 11:09:50 AM »
Ah, should have clicked the page before.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2596 on: January 24, 2023, 12:18:35 PM »

bosk1, your dedication over the years to the "no one has a real chance to beat the 49ers" shtick every time they make the playoffs is impressive.

I see what you did there, but it would be even more impressive if they actually went on to win it all.  Hasn't happened so far.

Amazing, ain't it?  For all of the times the last few years where the 49ers were apparently THE best team, no rings since the 90s. How can this be?????

Yeah, utterly amazing since they got beat by THE best team last year.  I guess lessons in humility are short lived if actually learned at all.  :lol

Again, it would be cool if you guys stopped misrepresenting me.  ::)  Feel free to take all the jabs you want and what I actually have said, and I'll take it for the good-natured, sports-related banter that it is.  But if you have to set me up as a straw man to knock down, I think that's pretty weak.

I would love to see the Niners beat the Eagles this Saturday.
At a morning staff meeting today, the Eagles fans were already going on a tear. One young lady I work with was talking about how she thinks Burrow is a much better QB than Mahomes, and I replied, "looking forward to seeing how they play against Niners D in the Super Bowl". And, instead of just taking the joke, like someone who has been gloating about her team all morning should, she gave me this awful look like I just said something disgusting and walked away.

Eagles fans need to be knocked down a peg. Nothing worse than Eagles fans who are feelin' themselves. Go Niners.
:lol  Well, you can't really blame them though.  The Eagles are pretty ferocious.  And if they haven't followed the 49ers very closely, I'm sure the only narrative they know is "the 49ers haven't really played any good teams" and "they have a third string rookie at QB."  They likely have no idea why the 49ers have now won 12 in a row and pose such a big matchup problem for the Eagles.

Honestly, that goes for the two AFC teams as well.  For championship weekend, I think we definitely ended up with four powerhouses that all have strong arguments for why they will win it all.  I give KC the worst odds just because of the Mahomes injury.  But while I think there is a clear favorite, none of these four teams winning it all should be shocking to anyone.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2597 on: January 24, 2023, 12:54:25 PM »
I have no issues if the Niners lose to the Eagles on Sunday. Eagles have a great team and there would be no shame in losing to them.

But as a Niners fan deep in Eagles territory, I very VERY much don't want to lose that game come Sunday. I just don't want to deal with Eagles fans in the aftermath.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2598 on: January 24, 2023, 12:54:40 PM »
I'm watching this discussion with amusement.  I'm not as all-in as Bosk, but the criticisms of the Niners are the criticisms I have of the Eagles. 

I don't think the Eagles have really been battle-tested this year at all.  I don't think Sirianni has the same level of experience as Kyle Shanahan.  And I'm not at all on the Jalen Hurts bandwagon; I know the man has won at every level, but so what? This is his first time through, and I don't think he's played anyone that can and will game-plan him like the Niners will. 

I love the Giants, but it's a nostalgic love and I don't see how that game is indicative of anything in the bigger picture.

And all of this is to be taken with this spirit: Dream Team likes Tom Brady more than I like the Eagles.  :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2599 on: January 24, 2023, 01:17:17 PM »
I was pulling for Buffalo, but wow, Cincy is impressive, and Joe Brrr is a super confident big swinging dick right now.

Should be two awesome games this weekend.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2600 on: January 24, 2023, 01:39:42 PM »
I was pulling for Buffalo, but wow, Cincy is impressive, and Joe Brrr is a super confident big swinging dick right now.

Should be two awesome games this weekend.

I think then, that it's only appropriate the Bengals face off against Big "Chicken" Brock in the Super Bowl.

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2601 on: January 24, 2023, 01:58:58 PM »
?    :|     ;D

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #2602 on: January 24, 2023, 03:17:40 PM »
Hey - Big Cock Brock!

Why not man????:mehlin :mehlin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2603 on: January 24, 2023, 03:22:17 PM »
I think Josh Allen definitely misses Daboll.  Just like Holmgren was able to keep Favre mostly in check and limit his turnovers in the 90s, Daboll did the same with Allen.  Daboll leaves and Allen, while still a great playmaker, turns into a turnover machine.  It doesn't help that the Bills have been unable to build a consistent rushing attack.  Their offense is pretty much "Josh, go win it," and if that doesn't work, they are f'd.  Their defense getting trucked three playoff games in a row doesn't help.  It feels like McDermott and his staff have taken this team as far as they can and that new blood is needed to get them over the top, but I doubt they will make a change at the top right now.  Not after McDermott was so good with the team regarding the Damar Hamlin health scare. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2604 on: January 25, 2023, 09:09:53 AM »
A couple of ongoing hot-button topics.

So Brady has of course decided to appeal the fine (couch cushion change) for his latest dirty chickenshit play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItVBhSAE3nQ

His rationale? "Yes I did a cheap dirty illegal thing that could cause injury but since I didn't injure the guy it's OK and the Player's Union is weak". What an ASSHOLE. I feel bad for the kids who are forced to have this guy as a role model. "Daddy why is Tom kicking and tripping players? "It's OK if he does it". "Can Mahomes do it?" "No" "How about Burrow?". "Yes he's another cute little white boy".

Yeah I went there. Please construct for me a rational argument proving racism isn't a factor in why neutral fans are suddenly now loving Burrow so much. What if Pat was the cigar-chomping mouthy cocky punk? Yeah I'm sure that'd go over REAL well in Middle America and the Northeast  ::). Oh wait let me guess - he plays the game the right (white) way, from the pocket. Am I right? A black QB will NEVER be nationally embraced, not ever.

The real insanity? The click-bait talking heads and TB12 fans are framing Burrow as Brady in the Burrow vs Mahomes as the new Brady vs Manning debate . . . . even though PAT is the one with the ring!?! (and the MVPS) What kind of crazy reverse logic is that?? Rational thought has truly flown out the window. We've made zero progress in 2 decades.

If you see a headline for a sports commentary show that leads with "Mahomes is 0-3 vs Burrow" or "Brady is 1-5 vs Brees" be warned that if you decide to watch, you're IQ is going to plummet. Quarterbacks DON'T PLAY against other quarterbacks, they play against the other team's defense. The fact that this still has to be explained in 2023 is mind-bogglingly sad. I really wish I didn't care about this stuff  :sadpanda:.

Anyway, I'm still going to attempt to enjoy these games. Looking forward to Burrow getting all the credit if the Cinci defense shuts down KC. But either way, if I had to money on it I think the Eagles are winning the Super Bowl this year.

Eagles 24 Niners 21
Bungles 27 Chiefs 17

Eagles 30 Bungles 20

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2605 on: January 25, 2023, 09:16:48 AM »
I'll give you one of the top of my head.  Cam Jordan, from the Saints who is African American won an appeal for 50 K when the league fined him for what they said, "Faking an injury."  I'll assume there is many more examples.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2606 on: January 25, 2023, 09:38:02 AM »
A couple of ongoing hot-button topics.

So Brady has of course decided to appeal the fine (couch cushion change) for his latest dirty chickenshit play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItVBhSAE3nQ

His rationale? "Yes I did a cheap dirty illegal thing that could cause injury but since I didn't injure the guy it's OK and the Player's Union is weak". What an ASSHOLE. I feel bad for the kids who are forced to have this guy as a role model. "Daddy why is Tom kicking and tripping players? "It's OK if he does it". "Can Mahomes do it?" "No" "How about Burrow?". "Yes he's another cute little white boy".

Yeah I went there. Please construct for me a rational argument proving racism isn't a factor in why neutral fans are suddenly now loving Burrow so much. What if Pat was the cigar-chomping mouthy cocky punk? Yeah I'm sure that'd go over REAL well in Middle America and the Northeast  ::). Oh wait let me guess - he plays the game the right (white) way, from the pocket. Am I right? A black QB will NEVER be nationally embraced, not ever.

The real insanity? The click-bait talking heads and TB12 fans are framing Burrow as Brady in the Burrow vs Mahomes as the new Brady vs Manning debate . . . . even though PAT is the one with the ring!?! (and the MVPS) What kind of crazy reverse logic is that?? Rational thought has truly flown out the window. We've made zero progress in 2 decades.

If you see a headline for a sports commentary show that leads with "Mahomes is 0-3 vs Burrow" or "Brady is 1-5 vs Brees" be warned that if you decide to watch, you're IQ is going to plummet. Quarterbacks DON'T PLAY against other quarterbacks, they play against the other team's defense. The fact that this still has to be explained in 2023 is mind-bogglingly sad. I really wish I didn't care about this stuff  :sadpanda:.
what
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2607 on: January 25, 2023, 09:43:46 AM »
His rationale? "Yes I did a cheap dirty illegal thing that could cause injury but since I didn't injure the guy it's OK and the Player's Union is weak".

Ummm...that wasn't even close to what he said, and using quotation marks when you're not actually quoting anything and, instead, are simply making things up is highly disingenuous.  Did you watch the video?  His press conference footage is in there.  Here's what he ACTUALLY said:

"I tried to tackle him with my right shoulder and missed him.  And I wasn't gonna try to stick my arm out, so I was trying to get him on the ground . . . and I missed him completely.  I didn't even hit him.  I tried to trip him, but I didn't, so I don't know how you can get fined for something that didn't even happen. . . .  It's like targeting and you miss the person you [intended to] hit, and they still call it targeting.  So I gotta figure it out and understand why this is the case."

Seems like a perfectly reasonable position to me.  If a DB lines up a receiver for a devastating helmet-to-helmet hit and misses, no flag gets thrown.  If a DL is homing in on the QB for a helmet to helmet hit and misses, no flag gets thrown.  Now...I've only seen one video of the play in question, and it's only 3-seconds long, and it doesn't clearly show whether Brady actually made contact.  Needless to say, if he actually made contact, then his argument falls apart.  However, if he missed, then he's right, unless there's a rule that makes an ATTEMPTED trip a fineable offense (hence Brady's statement about needing to "figure it out and understand").

And I'm really at a loss to understand why you're trying to turn this into a racial issue.  That's just nonsensical on its face.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2608 on: January 25, 2023, 09:45:46 AM »
Yeah, and who in the hell doesn't like Pat Mahomes, besides Stadler? ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2609 on: January 25, 2023, 09:56:00 AM »

The better question is, who in their right mind does?  Can't stand that idiot.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2610 on: January 25, 2023, 09:57:19 AM »

What's wrong, mahomey?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2611 on: January 25, 2023, 09:58:06 AM »

He's been classy.  His wife and brother?  Holy moly!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2612 on: January 25, 2023, 10:48:38 AM »
Burrow doesn't strike me as cocky, at least not the loud cocky type (relatively speaking, as pretty much all NFL QBs are cocky; you don't get to that level without a LOT of confidence).  He seems more like the quiet guy with an arrogant swagger who keeps his head down and just slices up defenses with slick precision.  Nothing wrong with that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2613 on: January 25, 2023, 11:05:48 AM »
Burrow doesn't strike me as cocky, at least not the loud cocky type (relatively speaking, as pretty much all NFL QBs are cocky; you don't get to that level without a LOT of confidence).  He seems more like the quiet guy with an arrogant swagger who keeps his head down and just slices up defenses with slick precision.  Nothing wrong with that.

And he's white! ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2614 on: January 25, 2023, 11:09:46 AM »
Yep, white QBs always get fawned over by the media. Just ask Kirk Cousins and Jimmy G.  :lol :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2615 on: January 25, 2023, 12:49:36 PM »
Yep.  He's stone cold. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2616 on: January 25, 2023, 01:24:02 PM »
"Cocky" is just one of those things where you like it if it's your guy, and it's offputting if it's "the other guy."  Personally, I don't like how Burrow wears it and I find it offputting.  But I can see how others might not be bothered by it or might admire his brand of bravado.  For me, it just rubs me the wrong way.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2617 on: January 25, 2023, 01:28:06 PM »
Yep, white QBs always get fawned over by the media. Just ask Kirk Cousins and Jimmy G.  :lol :lol

The racism argument is lame and off base.   Deshaun Watson should have been crucified a LOT more than he was, and of course both Lamar Jackson and Dak Prescott have been consistently held with kid gloves.  The latest is the new golden boy, Jalen Hurts. He hasn't won anything either and he's basically walking on water at this point.   Meanwhile, Daniel Jones is a head case and yet another example of the ineptitude of the Giants (at least until this year).

Let's face it:  Mahomes is very good, he's just not the second coming of Christ that Dream Team thinks he is.  (And I love that Dream Team is trying to argue that "Mahomes has a ring!" as if that matters to him now.  Okay, BRADY HAS SEVEN AND COUNTING.)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 01:38:30 PM by Stadler »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2618 on: January 25, 2023, 01:34:33 PM »
"Cocky" is just one of those things where you like it if it's your guy, and it's offputting if it's "the other guy."  Personally, I don't like how Burrow wears it and I find it offputting.  But I can see how others might not be bothered by it or might admire his brand of bravado.  For me, it just rubs me the wrong way.

Did you like Sherman better once he was a Niner?  ;D ;)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2619 on: January 25, 2023, 01:47:57 PM »

Did you like Sherman better once he was a Niner?  ;D ;)

Absolutely.  Good case in point.  BUT he's also an interesting case study because I didn't initially like the acquisition and remained set in my ways about him at first.  But what happened was, since he was a 49er, there was more local coverage of him, which allowed me to get to "know" him more, which in turn helped me warm up to him.  It all kinda worked together in that regard.  But you're right to point that out because it's a perfect example of what I described.  "Hypocrisy" is probably too strong a word for it, but it's not too dissimilar. 

Offline frogprog

« Reply #2620 on: January 25, 2023, 02:15:13 PM »
Ya know...I'm an Eagles fan and I'm not such a bad guy. I get the whole "philly sports fan" stereotype. But it is just that, a stereotype and I know just as many, if not more, polite, passionate  philly fans than the drunken a holes that used to populate the 700 level at the Vet. If you don't like the Eagles or Phillies for athletic reasons thats cool but to say I don't deserve a championship as a fan kinda gets under my skin. BTW Both the Phil's and Birds have had pretty good seasons this year, so there is that

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #2621 on: January 25, 2023, 02:30:32 PM »
Ya know...I'm an Eagles fan and I'm not such a bad guy. I get the whole "philly sports fan" stereotype. But it is just that, a stereotype and I know just as many, if not more, polite, passionate  philly fans than the drunken a holes that used to populate the 700 level at the Vet. If you don't like the Eagles or Phillies for athletic reasons thats cool but to say I don't deserve a championship as a fan kinda gets under my skin. BTW Both the Phil's and Birds have had pretty good seasons this year, so there is that

This is not aimed at you and I tend to understand your post but most Philly fans I have ever met have been out right dickheads. Not saying you're a dickhead or anything but just saying........

And Bosk - hypocrisy is the perfect word.  :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2622 on: January 25, 2023, 06:07:22 PM »

The racism argument is lame and off base.   Deshaun Watson should have been crucified a LOT more than he was, and of course both Lamar Jackson and Dak Prescott have been consistently held with kid gloves.  The latest is the new golden boy, Jalen Hurts. He hasn't won anything either and he's basically walking on water at this point.   Meanwhile, Daniel Jones is a head case and yet another example of the ineptitude of the Giants (at least until this year).

Let's face it:  Mahomes is very good, he's just not the second coming of Christ that Dream Team thinks he is.  (And I love that Dream Team is trying to argue that "Mahomes has a ring!" as if that matters to him now.  Okay, BRADY HAS SEVEN AND COUNTING.)

Dream Team's slurping aside :P, Mahomes is not very good; he is great, by any measure.   I know you like being the one holdout on this ;), but if everyone else sees it, maybe you aren't looking at right. :)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2623 on: January 25, 2023, 06:19:31 PM »
You strike me as a pretty good guy. That said, would you suggest to Bosk that he wear his Niners jersey to the game on Sunday? I've told an Eagle's fan (here, in fact) to wear her jersey to a game at Jerry world and she'd have a pretty good time. That go both ways?

Some stereotypes have their origins firmly established in reality.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2624 on: January 25, 2023, 06:30:46 PM »

I'm on your side here, it's not racism right now, but in fairness Dak is being excoriated. It's approaching brutal. For that matter, Lamar Jackson is catching a tremendous amount of [well deserved] flack right now, too.

The cries of racism will be deafening pretty soon, though, if teams don't want to sign Jackson because he was a little bitch come crunchtime. 
E.F. Benson