Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 102980 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 2022 NFL Thread
« Reply #2415 on: January 17, 2023, 09:56:14 AM »
So... who would you get (some of these I have, some I don't):

Yankees: Catfish Hunter (29) or Thurman Munson (15)
Red Sox: Carlton Fisk (27) or Carl Yastrzemski (8)
Giants:  LT (56
Patriots: Tom Brady (12) or Jim Plunkett (16) (though that last one is a problem, because I like the new jerseys and that implies Matt Cassells or Scott Zolak). I'm also partial to Edelman (11), Faulk (33), Harrison (37) and Vrabel (50).
Islanders: Billy Smith (1)
Bruins: Ray Bourque (77)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2416 on: January 17, 2023, 10:14:30 AM »
One thing I like about the Penn State jerseys is they don't have a name on them.  I can wear my 22 (in blue) and 1 (in white) forever and they'll always represent current and past players.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2417 on: January 17, 2023, 10:53:52 AM »
Sort of annoyed at the talk that Dallas' playoff woes are "behind them". They one one game against a team that didn't rise to the challenge of the playoffs.  This is still a McCarthy-led team, after all, and they are not generally known for being a disciplined team.  That will - at some point - come back to bite them.  It's just a question of whether that will be in one game (in which case they are out) or five (in which case, they have their own Owl).

My gut says Dak Prescott is not a Super Bowl champeen quarterback.

While on paper I agree, it's the intangibles of a Niner/Dallas playoff game that'll keep my shit talking to a minimum  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2418 on: January 17, 2023, 11:01:24 AM »
I used to always wear my Terrell Davis jersey to my fantasy football drafts every year, but with my retirement from FF this past season combined with my months-long abandonment of the Broncos while Hackett was the coach, it has been a while since I have worn it. Maybe I will bust it out this weekend when rooting against the Chiefs.  :coolio :coolio

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2419 on: January 17, 2023, 11:23:51 AM »
Sort of annoyed at the talk that Dallas' playoff woes are "behind them". They one one game against a team that didn't rise to the challenge of the playoffs.  This is still a McCarthy-led team, after all, and they are not generally known for being a disciplined team.  That will - at some point - come back to bite them.  It's just a question of whether that will be in one game (in which case they are out) or five (in which case, they have their own Owl).

My gut says Dak Prescott is not a Super Bowl champeen quarterback.

While on paper I agree, it's the intangibles of a Niner/Dallas playoff game that'll keep my shit talking to a minimum  :lol

I can do that for you; if one happens to favor the Gold Diggers, then one of your better scenarios is one where McCarthy has to manage the game, including the clock.    ;) :) :) :)

Online pg1067

« Reply #2420 on: January 17, 2023, 11:40:03 AM »
So... who would you get (some of these I have, some I don't):

Yankees: Catfish Hunter (29) or Thurman Munson (15)
Red Sox: Carlton Fisk (27) or Carl Yastrzemski (8)
Giants:  LT (56
Patriots: Tom Brady (12) or Jim Plunkett (16) (though that last one is a problem, because I like the new jerseys and that implies Matt Cassells or Scott Zolak). I'm also partial to Edelman (11), Faulk (33), Harrison (37) and Vrabel (50).
Islanders: Billy Smith (1)
Bruins: Ray Bourque (77)

If I were a fan of the team, I'd go with the highlighted (my wife has a Patriots Brady jersey, and I used to have a Yastrzemski t-shirt (and I'd go with Steve Grogan over Jim Plunkett (unless it were for the Raiders))).  I usually buy blank jerseys and would never get a jersey for an active player.  The two I have with name/number are Terrell Davis (Broncos) and Luc Robitaille (LA Kings).  I might get a Clayton Kershaw jersey when he's done.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2421 on: January 17, 2023, 11:54:20 AM »
I don't buy jerseys as they're way to expensive. My wife bought me a Ray Bourque jersey many years ago.

I do buy the named t-shirts though.
I have :
Jim Rice
Patrice Bergeron
Terry O'Reilly
Mike Bossy
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2422 on: January 17, 2023, 11:55:14 AM »
I don't buy jerseys as they're way to expensive. My wife bought me a Ray Bourque jersey many years ago.

I have :
Jim Rice
Patrice Bergeron
Terry O'Reilly
Mike Bossy

.....what about the David Backes silk boxers?  :biggrin:
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2423 on: January 17, 2023, 11:57:41 AM »

I have :
Jim Rice
Patrice Bergeron
Terry O'Reilly
Mike Bossy
David Backes

.....what about the David Backes silk boxers?  :biggrin:

:lol

I fixed my list. I forgot about that one.

Seriously, he was favorite non Bruins player and had he played in G7, the Bruins would've won. The worst thing in the world was Karson Khulman scoring in a G6 blowout, and staying in the lineup for G7.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2424 on: January 17, 2023, 12:20:07 PM »
I only have one NFL jersey, a Niners Vernon Davis 85 jersey.

If they win it all this year I'll definitely get another. It would be cliche at that point, but I think it would have to be Purdy.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2425 on: January 17, 2023, 12:28:51 PM »
Pats

Brian Cox
John Hannah
Richard Seymour

Bruins
Nevin Marquart
Joe Thornton
Cam Neely
Andy Moog

Celtics
Bird

Never owned a Red Sox jersey with a name on it. It would be Yaz for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2426 on: January 17, 2023, 12:58:37 PM »

If they win it all this year I'll definitely get another. It would be cliche at that point, but I think it would have to be Purdy.

My now-17-year-old had a Davis jersey when he was a lot younger.  He wasn't a big football fan, but he fell in love with that jersey after an incident at the Sac International Airport where Davis was right in front of us in the TSA line, my son was goofing around and bumped into him, and he turned around and flashed a friendly smile that made me bite my tongue and not give the lecture about respecting people's space and not goofing off in line at the airport.  :lol

Yeah, if they win it, I might have to pick up a Purdy jersey as well.  For the few that I have, I tend to go with players that are historically great (Ronnie Lott 49ers jersey, Frank Gore NFC Pro Bowl jersey, Peyton Manning Colts jersey).  But even if Purdy were to flame out in ensuing years or have a short career for whatever reason, a SB winning run with him at the helm would be historic.  Honestly though, if I were to pick up a jersey for the current lineup, they have so many players on the roster right now that are really likeable and really good.  That's part of what makes this year so fun as a fan. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2427 on: January 17, 2023, 01:06:48 PM »

My now-17-year-old had a Davis jersey when he was a lot younger.  He wasn't a big football fan, but he fell in love with that jersey after an incident at the Sac International Airport where Davis was right in front of us in the TSA line, my son was goofing around and bumped into him, and he turned around and flashed a friendly smile that made me bite my tongue and not give the lecture about respecting people's space and not goofing off in line at the airport.  :lol

Yeah, if they win it, I might have to pick up a Purdy jersey as well.  For the few that I have, I tend to go with players that are historically great (Ronnie Lott 49ers jersey, Frank Gore NFC Pro Bowl jersey, Peyton Manning Colts jersey).  But even if Purdy were to flame out in ensuing years or have a short career for whatever reason, a SB winning run with him at the helm would be historic.  Honestly though, if I were to pick up a jersey for the current lineup, they have so many players on the roster right now that are really likeable and really good.  That's part of what makes this year so fun as a fan. 

Yeah, there are definitely other players who have done more and are more "deserving" of a purchase.

But I look at my home Eagles market. As far as history for the franchise, Nick Foles is a short blip in their history, and an average QB at best overall. But he will ALWAYS be remembered by every Eagles fan as the man who somehow got them to the promised land.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2428 on: January 17, 2023, 01:47:21 PM »
Pats

Brian Cox
John Hannah
Richard Seymour

Bruins
Nevin Marquart
Joe Thornton
Cam Neely
Andy Moog

Celtics
Bird

Never owned a Red Sox jersey with a name on it. It would be Yaz for me.

Big Moog fan; I forgot he played for the B's.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2429 on: January 17, 2023, 03:11:52 PM »
I do not have an NFL jersey but do have a Giannis Antetokounmpo jersey and a Robin Yount.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2430 on: January 17, 2023, 06:12:02 PM »
Leftwich fired as the OC of Tampa.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline faizoff

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2432 on: January 17, 2023, 07:35:04 PM »
I don't know if Leftwich was the problem or not, but that offence looked like they never even practiced.
I guess Brady didn't want to play for Areans, so I'm happy he got the clownshow at HC that he wanted.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2433 on: January 17, 2023, 07:43:30 PM »

There's been no official word yet.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2023/01/17/bucs-todd-bowles-byron-leftwich-tom-brady-cowboys-offseason-2023/

That's  morning interview.  The news came out later.  We'll see.  Either way, they were terrible offensively this year

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2434 on: January 17, 2023, 07:45:53 PM »
Leftwich is the fall guy, as I think everyone knows who called the shots on offense there once Arians was forced out.  The problem is that Brady's body can't keep up with the speed of his mind anymore on a consistent basis.  He stills looks like TB12 on some throws, and then on some throws he looks awful. That is age.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2435 on: January 17, 2023, 07:49:10 PM »

There's been no official word yet.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2023/01/17/bucs-todd-bowles-byron-leftwich-tom-brady-cowboys-offseason-2023/

That's  morning interview.  The news came out later.  We'll see.  Either way, they were terrible offensively this year

I don't think so, the only "official" word I can find on the firing is some facebook post by some weird page called Pro Football Focus that posted it like today morning or something.

That press conference/interview was from 4 pm today when Bowles was asked about it. He said they're evaluating players right now, coaches evaluation will happen later.

Either way, coaching I think was a big issue with that team. They were never in total sync and most of the times that they were effective was when they went no-huddle with Brady calling the plays.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2436 on: January 17, 2023, 08:31:35 PM »
Seems to be trending with reputable sources.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2437 on: January 17, 2023, 09:05:29 PM »
All those appear to be speculating articles sourced from Pewter Report. I don't doubt he'll be gone, just hasn't happened officially yet.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2438 on: January 18, 2023, 09:03:35 AM »
Please let that be TB’s last game.  Painful reminder of why he shoulda retired 2 years ago.  :\

I don't get this.  Did you actually look at his stats from the 2021 season?  Why would of he retired 2 years ago? 

If felt like Brady and his receivers were not on the same page at all last night. Plus add how good Dallas's front 7 are.  The were disruptive all night.

Stats don't really mean anything to TB if they don't produce results.  Personally, I don't care about individual player stats since it is a team sport.  However, the most glaring stat I've seen from him is 66 pass attempts in what could possibly be his last game (which was a complete embarrassment btw).  Only completing roughly half of those attempts.  I think it's time for reality to start setting in.  He's not getting back to the big dance.  That's why I've said in the past that he should've quit while he was on top.  Just sayin'...
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2439 on: January 18, 2023, 09:31:24 AM »
Do you know why they threw it so much?  This year they had the worst running game in the NFL.  Doesn't matter what QB you are, that affects your game.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2440 on: January 18, 2023, 09:35:22 AM »
Please let that be TB’s last game.  Painful reminder of why he shoulda retired 2 years ago.  :\

I don't get this.  Did you actually look at his stats from the 2021 season?  Why would of he retired 2 years ago? 

If felt like Brady and his receivers were not on the same page at all last night. Plus add how good Dallas's front 7 are.  The were disruptive all night.

Brady and his receivers weren't on the same page all season. Like I said, it was if they didn't even practice.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2441 on: January 18, 2023, 09:48:50 AM »
After giving the games time to gestate, I have a couple of comments:

Dallas was the better team top to bottom going into that TB game. Dallas had the better roster even the QB. Of course now we have to worry about the kicker.  :\

With the exception of the Chargers and the Vikings all the teams that were expected to win, did win. I didn't have any faith in the Vikings and knew the Chargers were shaky at best.

Of the playing field left, I'm not sold on any of the teams including SF and the Cowboys.

The Cowboys and SF game should be fun. There are so many story lines to be had.

Think about it, if you're a head coach, do you want to sign a 46 year old in decline that will only give you 2 years at best?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2442 on: January 18, 2023, 09:58:20 AM »
Do you know why they threw it so much?  This year they had the worst running game in the NFL.  Doesn't matter what QB you are, that affects your game.

Of course I do, but let's face it.  He's not as accurate as he once was and it's not like he can move around and extend plays either.  He really doesn't have much of a chance behind anything other than a stellar O-line and even that is no guarantee.  It's a young man's game and he ain't young no more.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2443 on: January 18, 2023, 10:29:13 AM »

Of course I do, but let's face it.  He's not as accurate as he once was and it's not like he can move around and extend plays either.  He really doesn't have much of a chance behind anything other than a stellar O-line and even that is no guarantee.  It's a young man's game and he ain't young no more.

All QB's that have a poor O line struggles in passing plays.  Also, Look at how many running QB's are getting hurt. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2444 on: January 18, 2023, 10:39:46 AM »
Joe, Brady sucked. All year.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2445 on: January 18, 2023, 10:40:17 AM »
Again I'll point out that he's night and day better than Peyton was at the end, and he was successful in a system built to cover his weakness[es] and maximize his strengths. Old guys like them make up for what they lose in physicality with smarts and experience. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2446 on: January 18, 2023, 10:41:14 AM »
Again I'll point out that he's night and day better than Peyton was at the end, and he was successful in a system built to cover his weakness[es] and maximize his strengths. Old guys like them make up for what they lose in physicality with smarts and experience.

Awesome. He still sucked.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2447 on: January 18, 2023, 10:42:01 AM »

I think he was less effective than previous years but he was the main reason the Bucs even made the playoffs. I think he had like 4 or 5 game winning drives.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2448 on: January 18, 2023, 10:46:45 AM »
I think it's easy to say he should have retired after winning the SB a couple years ago when we see the end results, and maybe that also includes his marriage ending. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2449 on: January 18, 2023, 10:48:09 AM »

I think he was less effective than previous years but he was the main reason the Bucs even made the playoffs. I think he had like 4 or 5 game winning drives.

The Bucs were out of sorts all year. A clown for an HC, who may have been powerless to stop Brady from leaving in training camp to go on vacation or wherever. The Bucs season was doomed right there.
Going to Kraft's wedding a night before a game? WTF? He wasn't invested and it showed. The offence looked like they never practiced.  Given autonomy, Brady can engineer a drive, sure. What did he do in those games up until that point?

How many open receivers did he miss this season, hell, even the other night?

I'm a huge Brady fan, trust me, but he blew chunks this season, and I would have no idea what to expect from him next season. He could bounce back I guess, but he seems to have lost the passion. That's just the way it looked.