Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 102997 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 2022 NFL Thread
« Reply #2135 on: January 03, 2023, 02:44:25 PM »
Other than the general need of wanting attention, I'm pretty sure entertaining people if pretty low on the list for the players that go pro. Unless of course, that entertaining can lead to additional money streams.

Low on the list is not the same as not being on the list which is what you seemed to be implying by "not at all". I agree, it's low on the list compared to the rest.

So when I say low on the list, I actually mean it's so low that it may as well be not at all.  :P
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2136 on: January 03, 2023, 02:52:54 PM »
I always think of Sammy Davis Jr. when it comes to pro football.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2137 on: January 03, 2023, 02:57:06 PM »

I think he did it for the chicks. ;D

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2138 on: January 03, 2023, 03:10:24 PM »
A brain surgeon, a proctologist, and a podiatrist walk into a bar. . .
Now I'm just imagining an NFL proctologist.

"Sir, we successfully removed the football."
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2139 on: January 03, 2023, 03:16:52 PM »
A brain surgeon, a proctologist, and a podiatrist walk into a bar. . .
Now I'm just imagining an NFL proctologist.

"Sir Mr. Sanchez, we successfully removed the football."

Fixed.

And, yes, I realize it was technically Brandon Moore, but the joke works better this way.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 04:57:05 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2140 on: January 03, 2023, 04:01:30 PM »
(quite a career at Texas Western (UTEP).  btw, how nice of the school to wait until 2006 to put him in their HOF.  :tdwn  Wonder if his parents or any family was still alive at that time)

FYI, the UTEP Athletics HOF didn't exist until 2002, so 2006 wasn't much of a wait.

Thanks for that info.  Apologies for my oversight.  Just looked at their list of inductees, and so now it makes sense why Don Haskins and their '66 NCAA basketball title team didn't get in until '02.

No one, I mean NO ONE seems to be bringing up Chuck Hughes of the Detroit Lions, who died on the field against the Bears in 1971.

Greg Bedard mentioned it on Boston Sports Tonight last night.

That's why I said 'no one seems to be bringing up Chuck Hughes.  Didn't hear his name on ESPN, NFL Network last night or this morning in the bits I watched  I can't watch every minute.  Our local radio sports station didn't mention him early this morning, until the better 10AM signed on.

Bills-Bengals 'tie':  there are ramifications for the Ravens.  Had the Bengals lost, Sunday's game between Balto and Cincy would have been for the division title, and playing at home in the first round.  That said.......I could care less about that. 

It's not like they haven't gotten around 'moved on' before:  playing nine games in '82, and fifteen in '87 with three using replacement players.  Everyone will get over any sort of butt hurt the cancellation causes. 

Geez, and then there's this juvenile behavior Sunday in the Giants-Colts game     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9065F3mJCg

I think he did it for the chicks. ;D

:lol :lol :lol

Didn't work for me (guess chicks don't dig DBs or kickers....)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2141 on: January 03, 2023, 04:36:32 PM »
Bills-Bengals 'tie':  there are ramifications for the Ravens.  Had the Bengals lost, Sunday's game between Balto and Cincy would have been for the division title, and playing at home in the first round.  That said.......I could care less about that.

No, it still doesn't matter.  Win or lose last night's game, Cincy would hold an tiebreakers over the Ravens.  If Cincy lost last night and loses to the Ravens next week, Cincy still has the division. 

EDIT:  Actually, upon further research, you are correct and I was mistaken.  They lost to the Ravens the first time (which is what I was mistaken about), so a second loss to them would give the Ravens the tiebreaker.  My mistake.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 04:54:53 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online pg1067

« Reply #2142 on: January 03, 2023, 05:12:30 PM »
I don't think the league can FAIRLY decide not to play the Bengals-Bills game and declare it a tie or just leave those two teams with only 16 games.  It impacts not only who gets the bye in the AFC but also who the 6/7 seeds play in the first round.  Since the league has announced the game "will not be resumed this week," the only truly viable option is to play the week 18 games as scheduled and then to have the Bengals-Bills game as a stand-alone game the weekend of 1-14/15, start the playoffs the following week and nix the two week gap between the conference championship games and the Superb Owl.  Not sure what they'll do with the "Pro Bowl Games," but I'm not sure that's a big concern (maybe push it to the weekend after the Owl).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2143 on: January 03, 2023, 05:42:22 PM »
That may end up being the "least bad" option for the players themselves, but is still horrible for a lot of reasons, including the fact that a lot of fans of several teams on both conferences have already bought tickets and possibly made hotel/travel arrangements for what is supposed to be the first round.  For example, let's say that Nick as a 49ers fan has already requested time off from work, booked his flight, booked his hotel, and bought tickets for the first round since the 49ers clinched the division and will be playing that round.  What if he can't reschedule and take the following week off and travel from the east coast?  Two teams that have nothing to do with his team and aren't even in the same conference have messed that up for him.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2144 on: January 03, 2023, 06:53:15 PM »
I don't think the league can FAIRLY decide not to play the Bengals-Bills game and declare it a tie or just leave those two teams with only 16 games.  It impacts not only who gets the bye in the AFC but also who the 6/7 seeds play in the first round.  Since the league has announced the game "will not be resumed this week," the only truly viable option is to play the week 18 games as scheduled and then to have the Bengals-Bills game as a stand-alone game the weekend of 1-14/15, start the playoffs the following week and nix the two week gap between the conference championship games and the Superb Owl.  Not sure what they'll do with the "Pro Bowl Games," but I'm not sure that's a big concern (maybe push it to the weekend after the Owl).

Agreed. Have them play in a "week 19," push all the playoff rounds back a week, and have only one week between the CGs and the Super Bowl.  That is the only solution that seems fair. 

I get that many fans will have to reschedule their plans for playoff rounds, but that's the breaks.  Stuff gets cancelled or postponed all the time.  It happens.  And in this case, it would have happened because of a massive health issue.  Perfectly understandable.

In the meantime & more importantly, Damar Hamlin remains in critical condition:

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/damar-hamlin-collapse-bills-bengals-game-intl-hnk/index.html

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2145 on: January 03, 2023, 06:56:19 PM »
I get that many fans will have to reschedule their plans for playoff rounds, but that's the breaks.  Stuff gets cancelled or postponed all the time.  It happens.  And in this case, it would have happened because of a massive health issue.  Perfectly understandable.

No it isn't. I'd be pissed, honestly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2146 on: January 03, 2023, 07:05:45 PM »

Okay, but nothing is set in stone yet.  No games are scheduled yet for the 1st round of the playoffs, and if you know you are hosting a 1st round game, ala Minnesota or Tampa Bay, it could be on Saturday, Sunday or Monday.  Now, in bosk's example, maybe you are flying to SF and plan to stay for 3-4 nights so you are covered for whichever day/night they play, but if the case of the 49ers for example, they could still get the 1 seed, meaning they wouldn't be playing in the 1st round at all.

Ultimately, this would be happening because of a human (near-)tragedy.  Some things are bigger than plans to visit another city or go to a football game.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2147 on: January 03, 2023, 07:10:19 PM »

Agreed.  "That's the breaks" is all fine and dandy, but this impacts a LOT more people and creates a much, MUCH bigger logistical quagmire than simply applying a "that's the breaks" attitude toward Bengals and Bills and just leaving things as-is with the game never being played. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2148 on: January 03, 2023, 07:10:50 PM »
Okay, but nothing is set in stone yet.  No games are scheduled yet for the 1st round of the playoffs, and if you know you are hosting a 1st round game, ala Minnesota or Tampa Bay, it could be on Saturday, Sunday or Monday.  Now, in bosk's example, maybe you are flying to SF and plan to stay for 3-4 nights so you are covered for whichever day/night they play, but if the case of the 49ers for example, they could still get the 1 seed, meaning they wouldn't be playing in the 1st round at all.

I can't try and figure out all of the permutations. I'll just see what the league schedules.

Ultimately, this would be happening because of a human (near-)tragedy.  Some things are bigger than plans to visit another city or go to a football game.

Eh.. I can't think of the right choice of words so I'll leave it alone for now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2149 on: January 03, 2023, 07:12:46 PM »
Same here. We can agree to disagree as I really don't want to go round and round on this considering the situation. :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2150 on: January 03, 2023, 07:15:38 PM »
Same.  Not really trying to argue about it, but just to point out that it's a LOT more complicated than just "hey, we have an extra week available on the calendar.  Let's just bump everything a week."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2151 on: January 03, 2023, 07:22:22 PM »
I wasn't really arguing about the logistics and all. I just think people are going way overboard to display their sensitivity. The whole nothing else matters or nothing else is important is a bit tiresome.

And I'm not pointing this at Kev. It's just a thing that's been bugging me all day.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2152 on: January 03, 2023, 07:45:42 PM »
So very weird timing with what almost happened Monday night, but Monday morning I had the funeral for the mother of Louis Riddick, a current ESPN MNF analyst.

Didn't quite realize till after the fact how many football players there were in the extended family, had at least 4 as pall bearers alone.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2153 on: January 03, 2023, 07:47:01 PM »
Wow!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2154 on: January 04, 2023, 06:51:46 AM »
Can't speak for anyone else, but for me, that was the specific reason I wanted a career in sports.  Unfortunately for Ben, it turns out that I just wasn't good enough to make the pros.

Absolutely. Me too. I remember being in the weight room, in high school, thinking, "one more rep, for Ben". Sadly, it was not to be.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2155 on: January 04, 2023, 06:52:41 AM »
 :lol

Why do you think they call it the BENch press?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2156 on: January 04, 2023, 07:08:18 AM »
So very weird timing with what almost happened Monday night, but Monday morning I had the funeral for the mother of Louis Riddick, a current ESPN MNF analyst.

Didn't quite realize till after the fact how many football players there were in the extended family, had at least 4 as pall bearers alone.
Big fan of Louis Riddick, for what it's worth.  If I'm not mistaken, he's frequently mentioned as a candidate for front office positions when they come up.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2157 on: January 04, 2023, 07:13:34 AM »
Add me to the group of people who think delaying the playoffs is not a good idea. I honestly don't see how they squeeze in a completion, or redo, of this game. If I were either team, I'm not sure I'd want to.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2158 on: January 04, 2023, 08:12:06 AM »
I think things will slowly get back to normal. Damar Hamlin's recovery is going in the right direction which will be a relief everyone and as time goes by, we will understand what a rare event this is.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2159 on: January 04, 2023, 08:23:30 AM »
Wish we could be sitting around a bar with a beverage or two and 'discuss', as some times the written word sounds a bit harsh.

First, simply as to a business decision, what is the NFL waiting for?  I keep waiting for 'an announcement will be made at 1pm today' announcement.

Second, as to any rescheduling:  having them play in two Sundays punishes the Bills and Bengals, while all the others get that week off.  The #1 seed in the NFC would have two weeks off (and possibly the #1 AFC).  That's why the 'tie' and move on seems most logical (to me anyway).

I know it's going to be hard enough for ALL the players this weekend.  Call me somewhat callous, but I saw a fellow employee die, had to continue my work, and did a double shift the next day.  The handful of us who were there were given a whopping 15 minute group counseling session two days later.

Lastly, as to any NFL consideration for the fans......nah.  Flex scheduling proves that.  Just take last Sunday's Ravens-Steelers game, and the amount of individuals who may have unwisely booked a hotel for New Year's night before the game, watch the next day, and then hit the road home at around 5pm.  Well, you better cancel it or reserve another night, unless you want to drive 3-5 hours after the 1130pm ending.  A few years ago they flexed the New Year's Eve game from 1pm to 425pm.  Who really wants to be out on the roads after 8pm on that night?

Discussion (rant?) on my part over. ;)  Barkeep.....give me another
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2160 on: January 04, 2023, 08:30:44 AM »
Yeah, I don't think the scheduling of things would or should take into account the fans. The NFL has already shown that's not too important and the fans have shown they will show up anyway (maybe not the same fans, but people will be there). 

I wonder if the teams have any input here, like maybe the league will give some options and the teams can have a say because I'm curious if the teams even want to finish the game at this point.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2161 on: January 04, 2023, 08:36:30 AM »
Bosk has covered the permutations better than I could so I won't bother. However, it seems to me that Buff/Cinci get screwed either way. Even if one of them were to get the bye it would be wasted by playing the week 19 game anyway. At the other end, though, there may well be some teams on the outside looking in who needed a specific outcome of the game, and they're the ones that'll get hosed by this.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2162 on: January 04, 2023, 09:09:21 AM »
Hmmm... How about having them play in the first week of the playoffs for the right to move on?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2163 on: January 04, 2023, 09:11:59 AM »
Can someone explain to me why the Seahawks have the tie breaker over the Packers as of today, but if both win next weekend, the Packers have the tiebreaker?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2164 on: January 04, 2023, 09:21:41 AM »
Can someone explain to me why the Seahawks have the tie breaker over the Packers as of today, but if both win next weekend, the Packers have the tiebreaker?

Packers will have one more NFC conference win which would be the tiebreaker.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2165 on: January 04, 2023, 09:31:39 AM »

Packers will have one more NFC conference win which would be the tiebreaker.
That's partly correct, I think. Right now conference wins don't matter because SEA has an earlier tiebreaker due to beating DET. If GB beats DET Sunday that one is negated and it will fall down to conference record.

Also, three-way tiebreaks in the NFL are bungled. You'll occasionally see ridiculous results.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2166 on: January 04, 2023, 09:52:04 AM »
Seattle got screwed in the scheduling.

The Seahawks need to win and have GB to lose to make the playoffs, so they should have had Seattle/Rams and Det/GB playing at the same time.  With GB/Det Sunday night, if the Seahawks win in the afternoon, that eliminates the Lions from playoff contention, which could result in them losing their motivation to win Sunday night.  That's BS.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2167 on: January 04, 2023, 10:04:39 AM »

No, it still doesn't matter.  Win or lose last night's game, Cincy would hold an tiebreakers over the Ravens.  If Cincy lost last night and loses to the Ravens next week, Cincy still has the division. 

EDIT:  Actually, upon further research, you are correct and I was mistaken.  They lost to the Ravens the first time (which is what I was mistaken about), so a second loss to them would give the Ravens the tiebreaker.  My mistake.

Darnit, in my 'sitting at the bar' post, I forgot to mention this.   :facepalm:

You did a great job of breaking all things down, but with the ten thousand possibilities, a person is going to 'miss one'.  I saw the post above before the edit, and I was going to discuss (rant ;)) about me not knowing the Ravens details.  Fortunately, I waited, and....I appreciate the correction.  :tup

Baltimore is still 'one and done' regardless of what all transpires.  A pity if they don't get a 1st round home game, but they only have five two plus score leads lost to blame (and even in the Bengals game, they had to come back after a blown ten point lead).

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2168 on: January 04, 2023, 11:43:23 AM »

The Seahawks need to win and have GB to lose to make the playoffs, so they should have had Seattle/Rams and Det/GB playing at the same time.  With GB/Det Sunday night, if the Seahawks win in the afternoon, that eliminates the Lions from playoff contention, which could result in them losing their motivation to win Sunday night.  That's BS.
This is a good point. I'm guessing they don't think about stuff like that when making the schedule.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2169 on: January 04, 2023, 12:33:30 PM »

This is a good point. I'm guessing they don't think about stuff like that when making the schedule.

I mean, Seattle also had eight opportunities to win a game to not be in this position so…..
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?