Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 103026 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 2022 NFL Thread
« Reply #2100 on: January 03, 2023, 09:24:31 AM »
No one, I mean NO ONE seems to be bringing up Chuck Hughes of the Detroit Lions, who died on the field against the Bears in 1971.

Greg Bedard mentioned it on Boston Sports Tonight last night.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2101 on: January 03, 2023, 09:34:00 AM »
No one, I mean NO ONE seems to be bringing up Chuck Hughes of the Detroit Lions, who died on the field against the Bears in 1971.

Greg Bedard mentioned it on Boston Sports Tonight last night.

Yeah, the radio station I listen to talked about it this morning too.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2102 on: January 03, 2023, 09:44:23 AM »
I was thinking this morning about the fact that CPR is successful restarting a heart only a very small percentage of the time (like around 5% of the time if I recall correctly), so the fact that he didn't die right there on the field is very encouraging. I haven't hear reports of a AED being used, which I'm curious about. Those greatly increase the chances of success, but they are only useful if a particular thing is happening with the heart. I assume the teams have one on the field.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2103 on: January 03, 2023, 09:58:56 AM »
I was thinking this morning about the fact that CPR is successful restarting a heart only a very small percentage of the time (like around 5% of the time if I recall correctly), so the fact that he didn't die right there on the field is very encouraging. I haven't hear reports of a AED being used, which I'm curious about. Those greatly increase the chances of success, but they are only useful if a particular thing is happening with the heart. I assume the teams have one on the field.
He was zapped on the field. If the speculation about what happened is correct, the blow short-circuited his heart knocking it out of sinus rhythm, and setting it back right wouldn't have been too hard, I imagine. The CPR would have been to keep things moving during the time it took to defib him. And I'd bet a fair amount that there are 15 AEDs scattered all around that stadium for the occasional overweight football fan who goes too hard on the beer and chili dogs. The on the field medical team probably has the same gear you'd find in a first class ER.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 10:09:47 AM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2104 on: January 03, 2023, 10:03:52 AM »

My guess is that the general public understand CPR better than any other moniker. Besides, I think you perform CPR with and AED as an option.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2105 on: January 03, 2023, 10:23:11 AM »

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/chuck-hughes-only-nfl-player-to-die-in-game/114oyq1niwf5p15lxwuo62m1ma

radio broadcast   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIlyvFg9-S4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Hughes
(quite a career at Texas Western (UTEP).  btw, how nice of the school to wait until 2006 to put him in their HOF.  :tdwn  Wonder if his parents or any family was still alive at that time)

If you look at the edit history for the Chuck Hughes Wikipedia article, you'll see that, at some point yesterday evening, someone edited the end of the first paragraph to say he was one of only two people to die on the field, the second being Damar Hamlin.

I was just listening to a doctor on the radio talk about it, and he's speculating it was that freak happenstance of just the right hit at just the right time during the heartbeat to stop it.

This happened to Chris Pronger back in 1998 when he was hit with a puck

https://youtu.be/4S1Dfs8hgR4 

And also to Jay Bouwmeester in 2020 had a cardiac incident that required paddles and CPR. This ended his career

https://youtu.be/8mlowENegl0

I've heard of this a couple times in hockey (because of the blunt force of the puck hitting the chest). 

When my kid was still playing baseball (13-14 year olds), there was an incident where the pitcher took a line drive to the chest.  The umpire immediately called dead ball and did whatever sort of rough analysis youth sports umpires are trained to do.  The kid was fine and the game continued.  Between innings, I talked with the umpire, and he said that he had been involved in another game where something similar happened and the kid had to be taken to the hospital afterwards.  You get a projectile to the chest at 70+ mph (hockey slap shot or batted ball) or a helmet at 20+ mph with 200+ pounds of force at just the wrong time, and there's going to be trouble.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2106 on: January 03, 2023, 10:56:13 AM »
I'm kind of fascinated by what the league does about this. This was/is a key matchup and it kind of keeps the rest of the AFC in limbo pending the outcome. Scrubbing the game would no doubt be the simplest option. Kind of sucks for both Cinci and Buff as they were still vying for the bye. Doesn't seem inconceivable that they could extend the season a week. I figure that week off between the championship games and the Superb Owl is there for a reason. The league has to have wargamed this scenario. One advantage of that is the week 19 game would be the only one, and it might very well be the game of the year.

Whatever they do they should probably figure it out quickly.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dream Team

Re: 2022 NFL Thread (Brady butt-kissing session Volume 31)
« Reply #2107 on: January 03, 2023, 11:04:10 AM »
Well, I hate to say it, but NFL officiating strikes again.

Did anyone see the end of Denver/KC?  On the Broncos 4th down failed play, Chris Jones literally picked up Russell Wilson and slammed him to the ground.  No flag.  Based on the standard the NFL set all season, that should have been a no-brainer roughing the passer flag, which would have given the Broncos a 1st down inside the KC with a minute and change to go and three timeouts, down 3 with a chance to tie at worst and maybe win. Instead, the officials protect the NFL's new golden boy (Mahomes) and throw no flag and it's basically game over. 

It is any wonder I don't watch the NFL as much as I used to?

It is interesting you saw it this way, but you are a Denver fan . . . I've seen it commented on quite a bit that several times when KC had Russell in the grasp the zebras swallowed their whistles almost as if they were baiting KC to slam him to the ground so they could throw a flag. Make up your mind refs! Either blow the stupid whistle asap to prevent injury to the QB or let them play, you can't have it both ways. But it's what you expect from incompetence.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2108 on: January 03, 2023, 11:12:47 AM »
Money is the only reason the NFL will make them play the game. No way are the Bills going to be mentally engaged in playing not only this upcoming weekend but some may take weeks or longer to be comfortable to get back on the field.

Even Bengals players will have issues playing again.

It really is a a no win situation.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2109 on: January 03, 2023, 11:21:47 AM »
I hope they call it a tie and don't make them replay it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2110 on: January 03, 2023, 11:43:05 AM »
Money is the only reason the NFL will make them play the game. No way are the Bills going to be mentally engaged in playing not only this upcoming weekend but some may take weeks or longer to be comfortable to get back on the field.

The Bills could be emotionally scarred that way. Or they could take this, stride on and play the game the best they can for Darrell.

I can see them taking this to heart and playing even harder now because they have something they're playing for now.

I would rather have my team-mates continue playing and continue on to winning the super bowl, than worry about me and not accomplishing what the entire team worked hard for, including myself.

I hope they call it a tie and don't make them replay it.

I think this is the best possible solution for this. It doesn't screw with the playoff picture, and both teams are not technically taking a loss either. Honestly, in these situations, I think the only solution is to administer the game as a tie.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2111 on: January 03, 2023, 11:46:00 AM »

In truth, there have been worse injuries to happen on the field and teams manage to continue. I'm not suggesting they should have played last night; I agree with the decision. You don't wear the black armband forever, though.

I think this is the best possible solution for this. It doesn't screw with the playoff picture, and both teams are not technically taking a loss either. Honestly, in these situations, I think the only solution is to administer the game as a tie.
It kind of does screw the playoff picture. I could be wrong, but I think under that scenario Buffalo no longer controls their own destiny, and the Bengals are knocked out of contention for the #1.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2112 on: January 03, 2023, 11:48:54 AM »
What are the chances this was really unrelated to football and was due to heart issue he otherwise had? I can't see a routine tackle directly causing a person's heart to stop without some sort of underlying condition. Scary stuff regardless. I hope he survives and makes a full recovery.

I was just listening to a doctor on the radio talk about it, and he's speculating it was that freak happenstance of just the right hit at just the right time during the heartbeat to stop it. He said they happen less than a hundred times a year, usually to little league baseball players.

He also said that for every minute of the brain being deprived of blood, it's efficiency reduces 10%  :'(

When I looked at the incident footage, I noticed that he got hit right in that area by the heart. I did wonder if he got hit there, and then it triggered something either his heart, nerves, arteries, which then caused him to collapse.

I know this is possible due to having the wind knocked out of me before. Depending on your physicality, certain amounts of force is all it takes to do some good damage to your organs. The shock from these hits is enough to cause damage or make your internal organs act out.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2113 on: January 03, 2023, 11:56:27 AM »
NFL said the game won't be played/resumed this week.
I'm very curious how they handle it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2114 on: January 03, 2023, 11:58:37 AM »
Calling it a tie vs. just scrubbing it altogether have the same outcome, as far as playoff seeding.  Buffalo, Cincy, and KC all locked up top 3 seeding and can't fall below #3 no matter what.  It's just within that top 3 that things get interesting.  Both Cincy and Buffalo hold tiebreakers over KC.  If they had played the game and Buffalo won, they would be in the #1 spot.  If Cincy had won, they would still be a game behind, but could claim the #1 if KC loses next week and Cincy wins.  But most of that is moot if they don't replay the game.

If the game is either just scrubbed or dubbed a tie, what it means for seeding is this:
-If KC wins, they are the #1.
-If KC loses and Buffalo wins, Buffalo is the #1, KC is #2, and Cincy is #3 regardless what they do.
-If KC and Buffalo both lose and Cincy wins, KC is #1, Cincy is #2, and Buffalo is #3.
A tie or just having the game "missing" from the schedule has no impact.

So, to summarize:  Not playing it at all or calling it a tie has an impact on playoff seeding for the top 3.  But either of those options has the same impact.

Those above scenarios also bring me back to some of the negative comments about Goodell/the league initially saying the players should take a break, warm up, and resume the game.  I don't have a dog in the fight of whether Goodell is evil incarnate, or something else.  But giving him and the league the benefit of the doubt in this situation, since (1) we don't really know all the facts (I was hearing reports this morning that that "you have 5 minutes to warm up and then we will resume play" may not have actually happened, for example), and (2) even if we have all the facts, I don't think we know what the intent was.  I could very much see a scenario where it played out something like:
-Goodell/NFL:  "Uh...not sure how best to handle this.  But both of these teams have a LOT on the line in terms of the playoffs, and it's not fair to all the other players, coaches, and others who have worked so hard this whole season to throw off the playoff seeding by making an executive decision rather than letting it be decided on the field.  So I guess let's warm up and resume."
-Buffalo and Cincy coaches:  "Yeah, we don't care about that at the moment.  We can't go forward right now.  Let the chips fall where they may."
-Goodell/NFL:  "I'm good with that.  Great call."

I could completely respect everything about that scenario without casting stones at anybody.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2115 on: January 03, 2023, 12:24:18 PM »
(quite a career at Texas Western (UTEP).  btw, how nice of the school to wait until 2006 to put him in their HOF.  :tdwn  Wonder if his parents or any family was still alive at that time)

FYI, the UTEP Athletics HOF didn't exist until 2002, so 2006 wasn't much of a wait.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2116 on: January 03, 2023, 12:33:15 PM »
Those above scenarios also bring me back to some of the negative comments about Goodell/the league initially saying the players should take a break, warm up, and resume the game.  I don't have a dog in the fight of whether Goodell is evil incarnate, or something else.  But giving him and the league the benefit of the doubt in this situation, since (1) we don't really know all the facts (I was hearing reports this morning that that "you have 5 minutes to warm up and then we will resume play" may not have actually happened, for example), and (2) even if we have all the facts, I don't think we know what the intent was.  I could very much see a scenario where it played out something like:
-Goodell/NFL:  "Uh...not sure how best to handle this.  But both of these teams have a LOT on the line in terms of the playoffs, and it's not fair to all the other players, coaches, and others who have worked so hard this whole season to throw off the playoff seeding by making an executive decision rather than letting it be decided on the field.  So I guess let's warm up and resume."
-Buffalo and Cincy coaches:  "Yeah, we don't care about that at the moment.  We can't go forward right now.  Let the chips fall where they may."

I could completely respect everything about that scenario without casting stones at anybody.

If the actual conversations lined up in this manner, I think people can accept it without making anyone look callous.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2117 on: January 03, 2023, 12:38:32 PM »
The entertainment business has a well known motto "the show must go on".  While it seems most agree that the right call was to end the game, the NFL considering starting it back up shouldn't be a shock or surprise, and honestly, it sounds like even if they wanted to keep playing, the gave in pretty easily.  I'm not really sure I can rip the NFL here.  If anything, it sounds like maybe society as a whole has learned that sports/entertainment are not more important.  I remember watching the WWE pay per view when Owen Hart fell and died, that show went on when it shouldn't have.  Maybe we are getting better.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2118 on: January 03, 2023, 12:42:02 PM »
Calling it a tie vs. just scrubbing it altogether have the same outcome, as far as playoff seeding.  Buffalo, Cincy, and KC all locked up top 3 seeding and can't fall below #3 no matter what.  It's just within that top 3 that things get interesting.  Both Cincy and Buffalo hold tiebreakers over KC.  If they had played the game and Buffalo won, they would be in the #1 spot.  If Cincy had won, they would still be a game behind, but could claim the #1 if KC loses next week and Cincy wins.  But most of that is moot if they don't replay the game.

If the game is either just scrubbed or dubbed a tie, what it means for seeding is this:
-If KC wins, they are the #1.
-If KC loses and Buffalo wins, Buffalo is the #1, KC is #2, and Cincy is #3 regardless what they do.
-If KC and Buffalo both lose and Cincy wins, KC is #1, Cincy is #2, and Buffalo is #3.
A tie or just having the game "missing" from the schedule has no impact.

So, to summarize:  Not playing it at all or calling it a tie has an impact on playoff seeding for the top 3.  But either of those options has the same impact.

Yeah, I have no idea how this all went down. I put so little faith in how ESPN was reporting it in realtime that the narrative of "you've got five minutes from. . . . NOW!" never really factored into my consideration. What it comes down to is that somebody, somewhere made a decision to not finish the game, and given the consequences and chaos that would surely follow that was a monumental thing to do. The only knock I'd put on Roger, and it isn't really a knock, is that anybody else making that decision has a lot more riding on it, IMO. Roger is paid to be fireproof. He's the lightning rod for the owners, so there are no repercussions for any decision he makes. If it were the league overseeing the game who made the determination I'd regard it as a whole lot ballsier.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2119 on: January 03, 2023, 01:03:47 PM »
The entertainment business has a well known motto "the show must go on".  While it seems most agree that the right call was to end the game, the NFL considering starting it back up shouldn't be a shock or surprise, and honestly, it sounds like even if they wanted to keep playing, the gave in pretty easily.  I'm not really sure I can rip the NFL here.  If anything, it sounds like maybe society as a whole has learned that sports/entertainment are not more important.  I remember watching the WWE pay per view when Owen Hart fell and died, that show went on when it shouldn't have.  Maybe we are getting better.

Sometimes it takes a human to hit a brick wall, to fall from grace, to realize the humanity.

But let me tell you, Sports is more significant than most realize. The entire structure is centered around Sports. Sports is as close to competition and determining who is better than the other humans can achieve that doesn't go to the violent lengths of Warring over who is the GOAT. There are various reasons Sports has grown into the biggest spectacle mankind has ever witnessed.

My take is I hope more people are realizing that these players/athletes are human just like them. And that their entire life and career is basically to distract you from your lousy life. They don't have to play, but they do go out there in these conditions, train consistently, and are highly energized with adrenaline, and human bodies can only handle so much force and adrenaline before it starts to give.

It's like, if you know you have breathing issues, you don't go and start running a marathon. This is why it's fascinating to wonder just how healthy these athletes are and just how far they're pushing the limits of the human body all for the entertainment of us. This is a reason why I have respect for any athlete. Because they're out there pushing the limits of their body to the point where a single forceful blow to the chest area can have a devastating effect.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2120 on: January 03, 2023, 01:06:28 PM »
My take is I hope more people are realizing that these players are human just like them. And that their entire life and career is basically to distract you from your lousy life. They don't have to play, but they do go out there in these conditions, train consistently, and are highly energized with adrenaline, and human bodies can only handle so much force and adrenaline before it starts to give.

It's like, if you know you have breathing issues, you don't go and start running a marathon. This is why it's fascinating to wonder just how healthy these athletes are and just how far they're pushing the limits of the human body all for the entertainment of us. This is a reason why I have respect for any athlete. Because they're out there pushing the limits of their body to the point where a single forceful blow to the chest area can have a devastating effect.

While it provides entertainment, these guys aren't in it to entertain us. Not at all.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2121 on: January 03, 2023, 01:16:18 PM »
My take is I hope more people are realizing that these players are human just like them. And that their entire life and career is basically to distract you from your lousy life. They don't have to play, but they do go out there in these conditions, train consistently, and are highly energized with adrenaline, and human bodies can only handle so much force and adrenaline before it starts to give.

While it provides entertainment, these guys aren't in it to entertain us. Not at all.

There's various reasons each one can give for why they chose to have a career in Sports. Money is one. Being famous is another. But in the grand scheme of things, they're only there in the NFL to play the game of Football for the people of America. And obviously, if they don't like playing for the League than they're free to walk out that door or be fined, penalized, for not being the player the league wants them to be.

Playing for fun is not the same as playing as a career. But as a player, you can still have fun with it. Because in the end the athlete is there because of their love and passion for playing the sport.

I guess, what I meant to say is that the entire point of the NFL and the other Major Sports leagues is to give the people a bone and let them have something that distracts them from how miserable the system is making them.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2122 on: January 03, 2023, 01:18:01 PM »
No Ben, that's what we use for escapism. They play for a lifelong dream, money secondary and fame.  All kids in sports grow up dreaming of playing in pro sports.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2123 on: January 03, 2023, 01:20:24 PM »

Obviously they do it for the money and a passion to play the game, but I can't imagine they don't enjoy a pop from the crowd when they make a play.  I can't deny getting attention (being entertaining) isn't apart of it.  I mean, look at the linemen dancing in the endzone.  It's entertainment.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2124 on: January 03, 2023, 01:27:44 PM »

Obviously they do it for the money and a passion to play the game, but I can't imagine they don't enjoy a pop from the crowd when they make a play.  I can't deny getting attention (being entertaining) isn't apart of it.  I mean, look at the linemen dancing in the endzone.  It's entertainment.

Well yeah I'm sure. But no kid starts playing sports because he wants to entertain Ben in Arizona.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2125 on: January 03, 2023, 01:34:12 PM »

Well yeah I'm sure. But no kid starts playing sports because he wants to entertain Ben in Arizona.

Well, that's very specific, but generally, I disagree with this.  There's lots of kids who want to entertain the general population, some via football. I've seen enough college sports to know kids want to entertain.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2126 on: January 03, 2023, 01:36:15 PM »
When you're 10 years old you don't dream of entertaining people by playing football.  You think of all the accolades you'd get from them cheering you on.  There is a difference.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2127 on: January 03, 2023, 01:38:12 PM »
Other than the general need of wanting attention, I'm pretty sure entertaining people if pretty low on the list for the players that go pro. Unless of course, that entertaining can lead to additional money streams.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2128 on: January 03, 2023, 01:39:34 PM »
What's the problem with Van Pelt?  He's goofy, and not as funny as he thinks he is, but he runs a good show, more often than not. Ryan Clark is the gem, though; even on good (meaning, happy) days, his insight and knowledge of the game is pretty damn high.
I just thought he was trying way too hard to be the star reporter. That wasn't a situation where his own personality needed to be the focus, and he was damn sure trying to make it so.

I'll give you that; he does have a schtick that he sticks to.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2129 on: January 03, 2023, 01:41:50 PM »
He was zapped on the field. If the speculation about what happened is correct, the blow short-circuited his heart knocking it out of sinus rhythm, and setting it back right wouldn't have been too hard, I imagine. The CPR would have been to keep things moving during the time it took to defib him. And I'd bet a fair amount that there are 15 AEDs scattered all around that stadium for the occasional overweight football fan who goes too hard on the beer and chili dogs. The on the field medical team probably has the same gear you'd find in a first class ER.

It's my understanding that - and this goes with the question above about "war-gaming" this scenario, that yes, the NFL DOES have a protocol for this, including knowing which medical centers with a full trauma unit are in the vicinity of the stadium (like the U of Cincinnati Medical Center where Damar was taken).  That includes readily available defibrillators.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2130 on: January 03, 2023, 01:46:34 PM »

In truth, there have been worse injuries to happen on the field and teams manage to continue. I'm not suggesting they should have played last night; I agree with the decision. You don't wear the black armband forever, though.

It kind of does screw the playoff picture. I could be wrong, but I think under that scenario Buffalo no longer controls their own destiny, and the Bengals are knocked out of contention for the #1.

Um, at the risk of "too soon", knowing what we know now, I have zero doubt that Zach Taylor and Dylan McDermott can get their teams ready to play, using the events of January 2nd as a motivator.  There will always be one or two (maybe more) players that will contemplate their place in the universe, but the gang mentality in a sport like football is STRONG, and it will only take one visit from Damar (god willing) or his family (more likely) to reinforce that this is a battle that not only has to be fought, but has to be WON.

I don't know if the calendar will allow them to play this game, but if it comes down to the players and coaches, I would be shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you, if they don't play this game.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2131 on: January 03, 2023, 01:49:37 PM »

Well, that's very specific, but generally, I disagree with this.  There's lots of kids who want to entertain the general population, some via football. I've seen enough college sports to know kids want to entertain.

HAHA, I was thinking the same thing. "Oddly specific!"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2132 on: January 03, 2023, 01:51:50 PM »
Other than the general need of wanting attention, I'm pretty sure entertaining people if pretty low on the list for the players that go pro. Unless of course, that entertaining can lead to additional money streams.

Low on the list is not the same as not being on the list which is what you seemed to be implying by "not at all". I agree, it's low on the list compared to the rest.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2133 on: January 03, 2023, 01:54:59 PM »
Can't speak for anyone else, but for me, that was the specific reason I wanted a career in sports.  Unfortunately for Ben, it turns out that I just wasn't good enough to make the pros. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2134 on: January 03, 2023, 02:31:14 PM »

It's my understanding that - and this goes with the question above about "war-gaming" this scenario, that yes, the NFL DOES have a protocol for this, including knowing which medical centers with a full trauma unit are in the vicinity of the stadium (like the U of Cincinnati Medical Center where Damar was taken).  That includes readily available defibrillators.
My hunch is that it probably goes a lot further than just knowing where the good trauma units are. If you've ever caught any videos dealing with NFL League Operations it becomes kind of clear that those guys do not overlook details. My hunch is that no matter what medical emergency might come up they're very well situated to handle it effectively right then and there. The joke used to be that the best place to have a heart attack was the golf course. The exact spot where he kipped over was almost certainly as good a choice as any. I'd honestly be kind of surprised if an official league cardiologist wasn't on hand to minister to him. There are probably enough specialists on hand at every game to make up any number of good Vaudevillian jokes. A brain surgeon, a proctologist, and a podiatrist walk into a bar. . .
E.F. Benson