Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 102960 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: 2022 NFL Thread
« Reply #2065 on: January 02, 2023, 07:34:36 PM »
Just heard what's going on, quite speechless. Even the guys in the studio are barely holding on.

He just went limp and down... Doesn't even seem like a heart attack.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2066 on: January 02, 2023, 07:36:05 PM »
I removed the sarcastic subtitle from the title of this thread, as it felt just wrong to be talking about what is going on and leaving that silliness there.

Offline pg1067

Re: 2022 NFL Thread (Brady butt-kissing session Volume 31)
« Reply #2067 on: January 02, 2023, 07:36:35 PM »
What the heck happened?  I got home from work and they were in the studio...and now they're back live, but I can't find any video or anything.

I PM'd you. Didn't want to post it here.

Thanks...I found it.  Just crazy.  Like Dub said, it didn't look like anything out of the ordinary.  Needless to say, I hope he's ok soon.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2068 on: January 02, 2023, 07:55:50 PM »
Bills staff packing up equipment from the sideline right now, don't think the game will continue.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2069 on: January 02, 2023, 08:05:55 PM »
Postponed. When was the last time a game was postponed like this?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2070 on: January 02, 2023, 08:08:22 PM »
Hamlin is apparently in critical condition at the hospital.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2071 on: January 02, 2023, 08:10:27 PM »
I missed the hit while walking my dog but I did see it on a sports doctors youtube, he claimed it might be commotio cordis. I really hope he is ok, just stunning how a hit can look run of the mill but do some damage.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #2072 on: January 02, 2023, 08:12:57 PM »
There were some games played on Tuesdays and Wednesdays during the 2020 season due to Covid.  This is unprecedented though, I don’t know how this gets played this week though, even if Hamlin’s condition greatly improves quickly.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2073 on: January 02, 2023, 08:16:06 PM »
It's really moving to see how people come together in an awful time like this. The hugs and prayers and all the responses have me a little choked up.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2074 on: January 02, 2023, 08:29:52 PM »
Yeah, I saw that Hamlin's charity has gotten almost half a million dollars in donations in the last 90 minutes.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2075 on: January 02, 2023, 08:30:20 PM »
Hopefully not equivalent, but brought to mind Hank Gathers.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2076 on: January 02, 2023, 08:39:41 PM »
*opens twitter*
*sees someone blame his collapse on the COVID vaccine*
*closes twitter*

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2077 on: January 02, 2023, 08:42:38 PM »
*opens twitter*
*closes twitter*

I saw someone on Facebook say the same thing.

I fucking hate people.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2078 on: January 02, 2023, 09:11:03 PM »
*opens twitter*
*closes twitter*

I fucking hate people.
On the flip side of humanity, I have developed an immense respect for Ryan Clark after watching him talk to Van Pelt.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2079 on: January 02, 2023, 09:14:35 PM »
*opens twitter*
*closes twitter*

I fucking hate people.
On the flip side of humanity, I have developed an immense respect for Ryan Clark after watching him talk to Van Pelt.

Didn't see that, but I have seen some other solid displays including a few Bengals fans holding up signs of support. I guess I don't hate all people.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2080 on: January 02, 2023, 09:49:46 PM »
Supposedly the NFL told the two teams to warm up and be ready to play in five minutes. Zach Taylor and Sean McDermott then came together, talked, told the league to fuck off, sent their players to the locker room, and said they won’t play.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2081 on: January 02, 2023, 10:05:15 PM »
Supposedly the NFL told the two teams to warm up and be ready to play in five minutes. Zach Taylor and Sean McDermott then came together, talked, told the league to fuck off, sent their players to the locker room, and said they won’t play.

I've heard that as well...

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2082 on: January 02, 2023, 10:18:10 PM »
First off, all of the doctors on YT diagnosing this can run right off and go fuck themselves. They're awfully quick to rush out a diagnosis with no medical history and no idea what had gone on  in the preceding two hours. And especially fuck the guys who managed to work in the word "vaccine". No rung of hell sufficient for those assholes.

Hope the kid's alright.

If anybody other than Goodell made the decision to scrub the game hat's off to them. Somebody somewhere made the decision to call off a game with billions of dollars worth of implications, probably with the understanding that there's no established path to take moving forward. That's some Gene Kranz level ownership right there. Admirable.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 10:28:00 PM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2083 on: January 02, 2023, 11:00:30 PM »
I'd never seen more than the occasional 20 second soundbite of that guy, but fuck him too. Man, the media coverage of this has just been sickening. I'm as anxious for information as the next guy, but the way these people so desperately want to dish it out is repugnant.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2084 on: January 02, 2023, 11:14:44 PM »
Wonder if the NFL has war-gamed these types of situations in advance, so they are not Vince McMahon-ing their way through a crisis.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2085 on: January 03, 2023, 06:07:36 AM »
I'd never seen more than the occasional 20 second soundbite of that guy, but fuck him too. Man, the media coverage of this has just been sickening. I'm as anxious for information as the next guy, but the way these people so desperately want to dish it out is repugnant.

Agreed.  Schefter is the worst.  He tried to put on a "we hope Damar Hamlin is okay" front, but it looked so fake.  He had kind of showed his ass the last couple years anyway, and ESPN should be ashamed for having their promo for MNF including that shot of a shirtless Shefter mocking Kirk Cousins, but I thought even less of him after last night.  I thought the candor of both Buck and Aikman, all things considered, was good, though.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2086 on: January 03, 2023, 06:11:10 AM »
I really hope he is OK. That was one of the most awful things I've ever seen.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2087 on: January 03, 2023, 06:20:42 AM »
Terrible  :'(. I hope he pulls through without life-changing after-effects. Exhibit A of why there are so many measures being taken to make the sport safer. All the knuckle-dragging fans who say the league is getting too "soft" can leave the room permanently, the NFL doesn't need that type of fan to thrive.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2088 on: January 03, 2023, 06:30:31 AM »
Wonder if the NFL has war-gamed these types of situations in advance, so they are not Vince McMahon-ing their way through a crisis.

I don't know what's the worse answer, that A) With a game this violent they haven't war-gamed such scenarios, or B) They have and the end result was them trying to order play to resume after 5 minutes.
Photobucket sucks.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2089 on: January 03, 2023, 06:36:16 AM »
CNN is saying it was a cardiac arrest...

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/damar-hamlin-collapse-bills-bengals-game-intl-hnk/index.html

Radio report just said he's still in critical condition and sedated.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 06:55:36 AM by lonestar »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2090 on: January 03, 2023, 07:01:38 AM »
No one, I mean NO ONE seems to be bringing up Chuck Hughes of the Detroit Lions, who died on the field against the Bears in 1971.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/chuck-hughes-only-nfl-player-to-die-in-game/114oyq1niwf5p15lxwuo62m1ma

radio broadcast   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIlyvFg9-S4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Hughes
(quite a career at Texas Western (UTEP).  btw, how nice of the school to wait until 2006 to put him in their HOF.  :tdwn  Wonder if his parents or any family was still alive at that time)

I remember the day and the aftermath quite well.  Trivial:  he wore #85, because his request to wear #13 was refused...so he chose the '8+5'

This is a somewhat common type of 'injury' in lacrosse.  Both sports need to start providing snap on protection for that area of the body.

Sorry for Damar Hamlin's family right now.  Can only speculate on what is going on right now, and the decisions they are having to contemplate.   :'(
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2091 on: January 03, 2023, 07:17:35 AM »
What are the chances this was really unrelated to football and was due to heart issue he otherwise had? I can't see a routine tackle directly causing a person's heart to stop without some sort of underlying condition. Scary stuff regardless. I hope he survives and makes a full recovery.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2092 on: January 03, 2023, 07:30:51 AM »
What are the chances this was really unrelated to football and was due to heart issue he otherwise had? I can't see a routine tackle directly causing a person's heart to stop without some sort of underlying condition. Scary stuff regardless. I hope he survives and makes a full recovery.

I was just listening to a doctor on the radio talk about it, and he's speculating it was that freak happenstance of just the right hit at just the right time during the heartbeat to stop it. He said they happen less than a hundred times a year, usually to little league baseball players.

He also said that for every minute of the brain being deprived of blood, it's efficiency reduces 10%  :'(

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2093 on: January 03, 2023, 07:52:04 AM »
I was just listening to a doctor on the radio talk about it, and he's speculating it was that freak happenstance of just the right hit at just the right time during the heartbeat to stop it.

This happened to Chris Pronger back in 1998 when he was hit with a puck

https://youtu.be/4S1Dfs8hgR4 

And also to Jay Bouwmeester in 2020 had a cardiac incident that required paddles and CPR. This ended his career

https://youtu.be/8mlowENegl0 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #2094 on: January 03, 2023, 07:53:50 AM »

I was just listening to a doctor on the radio talk about it, and he's speculating it was that freak happenstance of just the right hit at just the right time during the heartbeat to stop it. He said they happen less than a hundred times a year, usually to little league baseball players.

He also said that for every minute of the brain being deprived of blood, it's efficiency reduces 10%  :'(

Yeah - I understand that there is a condition that is found in young kids 13 to 18 where there is a sack that develops around heart meant to protect it. Speculation is that his wasn't as developed and the heart just stopped. This can happen in kid sports and you're chances of survival drastically increases with a defibrillator on the sideline.

I too worry about his brain considering the amount of time his heart was stopped.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2095 on: January 03, 2023, 08:06:06 AM »

I knew a kid that died from it when I was younger. He was a goalie in Lacrosse and took one to the chest :(

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 2022 NFL Thread (Brady butt-kissing session Volume 31)
« Reply #2096 on: January 03, 2023, 08:18:48 AM »
Well, I hate to say it, but NFL officiating strikes again.

Did anyone see the end of Denver/KC?  On the Broncos 4th down failed play, Chris Jones literally picked up Russell Wilson and slammed him to the ground.  No flag.  Based on the standard the NFL set all season, that should have been a no-brainer roughing the passer flag, which would have given the Broncos a 1st down inside the KC with a minute and change to go and three timeouts, down 3 with a chance to tie at worst and maybe win. Instead, the officials protect the NFL's new golden boy (Mahomes) and throw no flag and it's basically game over. 

It is any wonder I don't watch the NFL as much as I used to?

But Mahomes is the GOAT!  And Brady is an NFL Stooge!  Get your narratives straight!   :) :) :) :)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2097 on: January 03, 2023, 08:29:46 AM »
First off, all of the doctors on YT diagnosing this can run right off and go fuck themselves. They're awfully quick to rush out a diagnosis with no medical history and no idea what had gone on  in the preceding two hours. And especially fuck the guys who managed to work in the word "vaccine". No rung of hell sufficient for those assholes.

Hope the kid's alright.

If anybody other than Goodell made the decision to scrub the game hat's off to them. Somebody somewhere made the decision to call off a game with billions of dollars worth of implications, probably with the understanding that there's no established path to take moving forward. That's some Gene Kranz level ownership right there. Admirable.

I think it's pretty clear from what I saw that Zach Taylor was instrumental in getting this game suspended. He went right over to McDermott - who was beside himself, that much was obvious - and said, as far as I can tell through lip-reading, "we're done".  Then later in the space outside the locker room, it was clear they - the two coaches - were doing most of the talking on a call that was, according to ESPN, with the league office.

I was surprised to see how slow ESPN was with information; I don't know if they were being cagey because of the delicacy of the moment, but in hindsight, it was pretty clear what was happening on the field and there was a paucity of details from the people reporting on the game (and that includes SVP, who repeatedly said they had the same video feeds as those in Cincy).

What's the problem with Van Pelt?  He's goofy, and not as funny as he thinks he is, but he runs a good show, more often than not. Ryan Clark is the gem, though; even on good (meaning, happy) days, his insight and knowledge of the game is pretty damn high. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2098 on: January 03, 2023, 08:32:38 AM »
I was just listening to a doctor on the radio talk about it, and he's speculating it was that freak happenstance of just the right hit at just the right time during the heartbeat to stop it.

This happened to Chris Pronger back in 1998 when he was hit with a puck

https://youtu.be/4S1Dfs8hgR4 

And also to Jay Bouwmeester in 2020 had a cardiac incident that required paddles and CPR. This ended his career

https://youtu.be/8mlowENegl0

I've heard of this a couple times in hockey (because of the blunt force of the puck hitting the chest). 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2099 on: January 03, 2023, 09:23:44 AM »
What's the problem with Van Pelt?  He's goofy, and not as funny as he thinks he is, but he runs a good show, more often than not. Ryan Clark is the gem, though; even on good (meaning, happy) days, his insight and knowledge of the game is pretty damn high.
I just thought he was trying way too hard to be the star reporter. That wasn't a situation where his own personality needed to be the focus, and he was damn sure trying to make it so.
E.F. Benson