Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 102995 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: 2022 NFL Thread (Brady butt-kissing session Volume 31)
« Reply #2030 on: December 27, 2022, 10:04:58 AM »
Trying to temper my excitement....but holy shit are the Niners firing on all cylinders, and to think we'll get Deebo back in a week or two.

They looked so damn good today.

I was there, and Levi's was ROCKIN'!  From the moment they blared the beginning of For Whom the Bell Tolls when the team was coming out of the tunnel, right up until the end, you could just feel it.  Although fans were getting a bit restless in the first quarter, when Ray Ray took off for that long TD run, the entire place came unglued.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2031 on: December 27, 2022, 10:07:42 AM »
How many people thought the dude was done in 2014?

Maybe not done, but fading, yes, and the numbers backed it up, as I remember the stats on his deep passes getting less effective for example. I think that is when he started going to the fake doctor to stay in great shape and improve his overall body mobility and whatnot as he started to age, and the rest is history.
Of course he's fading. I agree with you. I'm just suggesting that the guy seems to fade a whole lot slower than what we're accustomed to. It's hard to predict his trajectory, and numerous times he's looked done and leveled off for a while. Good quarterbacks can compensate for a loss of physical skills in other areas; particularly intelligence and experience. Peyton hung on a few more years by simply picking apart defenses in the shorter game. When TB12 has looked good this year that's what he's done. He's clearly coming up on the end of his career, but that doesn't mean he can't still be dangerous any given Sunday.

And my post was, what, at halftime?  Start of the third quarter?   Brady did what all elite players do: found away to win, even if none of it will ever see a highlight film after the day after the game.  I’m with Kev: I’ll count him out when he actually IS out. 

On Hackett: I don’t know if the quote (about bathrooms in Wilson’s house versus his TDs) but it may as well be true.   He’s taking one for the team there.  I don’t really want either one, but I’d rather have Hackett next year than Wilson. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2032 on: December 27, 2022, 05:29:40 PM »
I just saw an article that said that the Seahawks will get the number one overall pick if:

1. Denver loses out
2. Houston wins out
3. Chicago beats either Detroit or Minnesota

Now granted, that is a lot of things that have to happen. But looking at the given opponents, it doesn’t seem that unlikely either.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2033 on: December 28, 2022, 08:24:08 AM »
Hef, what kind of draft capital can we expect to get from Carolina to take Zach Wilson off our hands?
Just saw this.

Not even the Panthers are this desperate.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2034 on: December 28, 2022, 10:20:39 AM »
I'm not a neurologist or anything, but it kind of seems to me that if Tua is suffering mystery concussions he's in kind of sorry shape. I don't know how smart this kid is, but he's got the league over a barrel. My hunch is that the NFL would be thrilled to simply let him walk away with his guaranteed contract. He needs to skip out and settle down with his 30 million.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Deathless

« Reply #2035 on: December 28, 2022, 01:10:49 PM »
Hef, what kind of draft capital can we expect to get from Carolina to take Zach Wilson off our hands?
Just saw this.

Not even the Panthers are this desperate.
No chance. But is Darnold playing his way back for another year? He's been highly efficient with a solid OL and running game behind him.

Maybe Sean Payton can help continue to rehabilitate him too.  ;)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2036 on: December 28, 2022, 04:54:24 PM »
I'm not a neurologist or anything, but it kind of seems to me that if Tua is suffering mystery concussions he's in kind of sorry shape. I don't know how smart this kid is, but he's got the league over a barrel. My hunch is that the NFL would be thrilled to simply let him walk away with his guaranteed contract. He needs to skip out and settle down with his 30 million.

I know this will sound kind of mean, but I think Tua simply isn't very good at protecting himself.  Look at that play against GB the other day when his head hit the turf.  We have seen Tom Brady get tackled 45,444 times over the years, and I've never seen him fall and his head hit the ground like that.  Same with the play against the Bengals earlier this year when he swung down hard and his head smashed into the ground.  He looked like a guy who had no clue how to protect himself when getting tackled. And both hits I am referencing were good, legal tackles.  I agree with you in that the guy ought to be smart and take the money he has made and retire today.  His long term health is at risk if he continues to play, if it isn't already.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2037 on: December 28, 2022, 08:00:32 PM »
So Hoodie Jr benched Carr for the rest of the season, Carr essentially leaves the organization. I see Hoodie is taking responsibility for tanking the team and giving Carr his worst year in some time. Davante is not happy and I am guessing the locker room won't be too keen on this either.

My guess is Hoodie will get one more year there with a no name QB and get fired. Carr will go somewhere that could use a good QB and probably have a bounceback year further cementing Hoodie's failure.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2038 on: December 28, 2022, 08:34:39 PM »
So Hoodie Jr benched Carr for the rest of the season, Carr essentially leaves the organization. I see Hoodie is taking responsibility for tanking the team and giving Carr his worst year in some time. Davante is not happy and I am guessing the locker room won't be too keen on this either.

My guess is Hoodie will get one more year there with a no name QB and get fired. Carr will go somewhere that could use a good QB and probably have a bounceback year further cementing Hoodie's failure.

Yep, it just shows that McDaniels is a bigger clown of a head coach than I had thought.  He was handed a playoff team with a good QB who had been great at times AND the addition of one of the top WRs in football...and they are now at 6-9 and look to be moving off their QB whose played has declined under McDaniels, a supposed QB guru.  What a joke.  His entire rep is built off playing calls in NE for Tom Brady, but history has shown that he is a stooge whenever Brady is not his QB.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2039 on: December 28, 2022, 09:17:16 PM »
The David Carr situation strikes me more as more of a management thing than a coaching thing. If you want to blame JMD for the 6-9 season that's cool, but I wouldn't put this on him. The only way benching him makes sense is from a financial perspective if you've decided to get rid of him--can't risk him being injured. One thing I'm confident on is that Josh McDaniels didn't walk into Mark Davis's office, pound on the desk, and demand that Carr be let go immediately. That's absurd.

Also, JMD is around for at least another season for financial reasons. If there's anything that might get him sacked this year it would be winning another game. I'd bet good money that he's got direct orders to lose out. Ownership has made clear their intentions.

An interesting thing to consider right now is who's got more clout, Ziegler or JMD? I think it likely that Mark Davis DGAF what either one of them think at this point.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2040 on: December 31, 2022, 11:12:13 AM »
Just saw that Lazard was fined for his "taunting" celebration on the play where his block took out 3 Miami defenders.  https://www.yahoo.com/sports/packers-wr-allen-lazard-fined-10-k-after-counting-to-3-for-each-miami-defender-he-toppled-with-one-block-190050463.html
What complete and utter idiocy by the NFL.  It's a player celebrating having made a big play.  There was nothing obscene or unsportsmanlike about it.  It didn't hold up the game at all.  I just don't get it.  I suspect that most of the defenders that ended up on the ground after that play wouldn't have felt overly salty about it if asked and would have acknowledged that it was a great play.  So we want to punish a player for being excited and celebrating making an outstanding play like this, while we allow entire games to grind to a halt every time there is a turnover and the entire defensive squad runs down the field to the endzone and poses for a picture?  Seems really inconsistent to me.

And by the way, the latter type of celebration annoys me.  I mean, honestly, I love player celebrations.  I think it adds a lot of fun to the game, even when the celebrations are stupid.  But the entire team running down the field and posing for a group pic for every turnover?  Why?  If it's a pick-six or a scoop-and-score, sure.  But just a turnover by itself?  That doesn't need the whole team and doesn't warrant a stoppage in play.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2041 on: January 01, 2023, 03:25:36 PM »
Well, I hate to say it, but NFL officiating strikes again.

Did anyone see the end of Denver/KC?  On the Broncos 4th down failed play, Chris Jones literally picked up Russell Wilson and slammed him to the ground.  No flag.  Based on the standard the NFL set all season, that should have been a no-brainer roughing the passer flag, which would have given the Broncos a 1st down inside the KC with a minute and change to go and three timeouts, down 3 with a chance to tie at worst and maybe win. Instead, the officials protect the NFL's new golden boy (Mahomes) and throw no flag and it's basically game over. 

It is any wonder I don't watch the NFL as much as I used to?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2042 on: January 01, 2023, 04:05:22 PM »
I try to keep officiating bitching to a minimum. But within a 5 minute stretch we had a no-call on some clear Raiders holding one a big touchdown pass and then got a holding call on Kittle in which there was nothing even close to it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2043 on: January 01, 2023, 04:24:31 PM »
It is an epidemic.   I think replay is killing the game, slowly.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2044 on: January 01, 2023, 05:04:08 PM »
That run by McCaffrey  :omg:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2045 on: January 01, 2023, 05:11:58 PM »
I don't see how that Adams catch was questionable. He's bobbling it and the ground pounds it into him. Clearly incomplete as far as I'm concerned.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2046 on: January 01, 2023, 05:16:23 PM »
From 7-4 and firmly in control of their playoff destiny to 7-9 and eliminated from playoff contention. I’m so sick of this bullshit.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2047 on: January 01, 2023, 05:27:03 PM »
I don't see how that Adams catch was questionable. He's bobbling it and the ground pounds it into him. Clearly incomplete as far as I'm concerned.

There was no clear shot of it actually on the ground, and I think they needed that to overrule it

Edit: Oh yeah!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2048 on: January 01, 2023, 05:30:55 PM »
9 in a row!  In control of the #2 seed, and the #1 is still in play.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2049 on: January 02, 2023, 06:02:02 AM »
His lack of playoff success in the last 10 years is still glaring, but Mike Tomlin getting this Steelers team to 8-8 with a week to play seems like a minor miracle. 

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2050 on: January 02, 2023, 06:08:09 AM »
I’m dumbfounded by the Packers turnaround. An absolute miracle they can still make the playoffs after being 4-8.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2051 on: January 02, 2023, 08:33:22 AM »
I’m dumbfounded by the Packers turnaround. An absolute miracle they can still make the playoffs after being 4-8.
Yeah, that is crazy. Lots of pretty weak teams making it in the playoffs this year.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2052 on: January 02, 2023, 09:32:11 AM »
I have thought for the last few weeks that the 49ers had become the team to beat in the NFC, but seeing their defense get taken to the woodshed by the Raiders backup QB makes me pause a bit now.  I don't know who else I'd pick, though.  I think Philly has one and done written all over them now. 

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2053 on: January 02, 2023, 09:58:59 AM »
I have thought for the last few weeks that the 49ers had become the team to beat in the NFC, but seeing their defense get taken to the woodshed by the Raiders backup QB makes me pause a bit now.  I don't know who else I'd pick, though.  I think Philly has one and done written all over them now.

I like Philly if Hurts is healthy, they can score at will. I think the Niners game was an aberration, but hard to think Purdy can take them all the way. Minnesota’s O-line is decimated by injury and their defense stinks. Tampa Tom is the ultimate wildcard, just don’t know what team is going to show up.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2054 on: January 02, 2023, 10:03:31 AM »
Yeah...yesterday was definitely a trap game for the Niners, I imagine the Raiders were putting everything into it to survive.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2055 on: January 02, 2023, 07:03:07 PM »
My God, that Bills player that collapsed was so damn scary. Players are praying all around him.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2056 on: January 02, 2023, 07:07:21 PM »
This is probably something really bad, Joe Buck just said they've been administering CPR for the last 9 mins now.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2057 on: January 02, 2023, 07:14:20 PM »
It's shocking to see. I feel so bad for him and his teammates.

Online pg1067

« Reply #2058 on: January 02, 2023, 07:16:29 PM »
What the heck happened?  I got home from work and they were in the studio...and now they're back live, but I can't find any video or anything.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2059 on: January 02, 2023, 07:22:50 PM »
Game has been temporarily suspended. Bills players crying, weeping and looking like ghosts right now. Don't know exactly what happened, maybe he got hit in the chest really hard and caused some heart attack or something.

Video doesn't look too bad but the type of hit might be bad.
For the ambulance to come on the field after CPR for that long, not sure it's a good sign
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2060 on: January 02, 2023, 07:22:58 PM »
What the heck happened?  I got home from work and they were in the studio...and now they're back live, but I can't find any video or anything.

I PM'd you. Didn't want to post it here.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2061 on: January 02, 2023, 07:24:36 PM »
Very scary. I don't see any way they play again tonight.  More importantly, hope Hamlin is okay. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2062 on: January 02, 2023, 07:24:49 PM »

I saw a brief replay on twitter, seemed like a totally run of the mill tackle.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2063 on: January 02, 2023, 07:28:21 PM »
I am stunned as I wonder if I saw my worst nightmare playout on the field.  I hope not but it doesn't look good.

Virtual hugs to his family and here's hoping for the best.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2064 on: January 02, 2023, 07:30:19 PM »
That has to be the most bizarre thing I’ve ever seen on the field.  The hit didn’t look that bad.  Sure hope that he will be ok.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White