Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 102991 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: 2022 NFL Thread (Brady butt-kissing session Volume 31)
« Reply #1995 on: December 22, 2022, 02:20:52 PM »
But I don't have a specific recollection of V, or of a lot of the earlier ones, for that matter.

The first SB I have any memory of is 20, and other than Niners/Bengals and the Bills Wide Right game, my early experiences were a bunch of blowouts. But I was a kid watching with my dad, so didn't care one bit.

The first one I watched was 12.  It was great.  My newly adopted team made the Super Bowl in my first year watching football!  Woo hoo!  Little did I know I was in for years of heartbreak.  Until 32, the ONLY game won by the team I wanted to win was 16 (and that's only because, at the time, I liked both the 49ers and the Bengals), and most of that long run of NFC dominance were blowout games.

Right, I meant I didn't have specific recollections of the write-ups on those early ones.  The first one I watched was 15.  Even as an east bay kid, I didn't really like the Raiders, so I was rooting for Philadelphia.  My dad was a 49ers fan, so I adopted them as my team, even though they were pretty awful that year.  What an amazing turnaround in year 2, with such moment as The Catch and winning their first ever SB!  I'll always remember those.  Lots of others that followed are a blur just because there have been so many, and I didn't watch them all (no interest in seeing the Bills vs. the Giants, for example.  What an awful matchup)

Heh, I can relate to some awful 49er teams...

I was 8 when the Niners won the super bowl, and it's around then when I went against my local pressure and adopted them as my team.

That said, football wasn't really a big part of things for me for awhile, but I started taking a lot more interest going in the 00s. I still remember the 2002 playoffs and that huge win over the Giants in their first game.

But then I had like a decade of horrible/mediocre teams while I started being really interested.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1996 on: December 23, 2022, 12:00:59 PM »
Zach Wilson is on my shit list.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1997 on: December 23, 2022, 12:08:09 PM »
Have to say I was very surprised to see you and Barto pick the Jets last night in our Pick 'em game. Every site I checked before the game said the poor lad was in for another mauling.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1998 on: December 23, 2022, 12:15:17 PM »
Have to say I was very surprised to see you and Barto pick the Jets last night in our Pick 'em game. Every site I checked before the game said the poor lad was in for another mauling.

I saw a late piece on our local (New England) sports channel that had the Jets getting a point; I think the idea was that while the Jax offense was better than the Jets, the Jets D was better than the Jags by more.   I'm also steadfast about changing my picks once I made them; the two points you got on me a couple weeks ago were BOTH games I changed at the last minute - the only two this year.  So while information came out late in the week for both the Jets versus Detroit and the Jets versus the Jags, I refused to change them.  Superstition got the better of me.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1999 on: December 23, 2022, 01:18:47 PM »
Jags D is nothing special, and I expected the wind and rain to neutralize Lawrence and both team's kicking games. If it were run game vs run game I favored NYJ at home rather than a team from the Wang playing in a monsoon. Unfortunately I woefully misunderestimated how terrible that fool Zach Wilson was going to be.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2000 on: December 23, 2022, 02:32:28 PM »
Jags D is nothing special, and I expected the wind and rain to neutralize Lawrence and both team's kicking games. If it were run game vs run game I favored NYJ at home rather than a team from the Wang playing in a monsoon. Unfortunately I woefully misunderestimated how terrible that fool Zach Wilson was going to be.

Boom.   Is this kid blowing it, or what? He's got a set of tools, but turns out the tool is him.  Sad, really.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2001 on: December 24, 2022, 04:53:56 AM »
Hef, what kind of draft capital can we expect to get from Carolina to take Zach Wilson off our hands?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2002 on: December 24, 2022, 06:56:26 AM »
Hef, what kind of draft capital can we expect to get from Carolina to take Zach Wilson off our hands?

JFC :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Dream Team

« Reply #2003 on: December 24, 2022, 09:05:02 AM »

Boom.   Is this kid blowing it, or what? He's got a set of tools, but turns out the tool is him.  Sad, really.

Seems like he spends too much time putting his tool in his mom's friend instead of learning how to play football.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2004 on: December 24, 2022, 09:17:16 AM »
So, were the cameras hoping to catch a picture of something like that happening on the sidelines Thursday night? :D  I tuned in for the 4th quarter, where he didn't play a down, and they still showed him 25-30 times for no frickin reason (as they do other QBs, coaches, assistants, etc......makes it almost unbearable to watch when I do watch).
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2005 on: December 24, 2022, 11:02:03 AM »
Given his arm talent, Zach Wilson is probably used to always being able to hit the big play with long bombs, but in the NFL, those do not happen often, so you have to learn to manage the game and pick your spots when you want to go deep, and he looks like a guy who cannot figure it out.  He is toast.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2006 on: December 24, 2022, 03:40:03 PM »
So, Happy Festivus Maximus to the Baltimore Ravens.  It'll be great to wear a similar shirt off and on for the next three weeks.

That said, this has to be the worst 10-5 heading to the playoffs team I have ever followed.  And, it might just be the worst 10-5 heading to the playoffs team ever.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2007 on: December 24, 2022, 05:22:52 PM »
Trying to temper my excitement....but holy shit are the Niners firing on all cylinders, and to think we'll get Deebo back in a week or two.

They looked so damn good today.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2008 on: December 24, 2022, 07:54:35 PM »
Trying to temper my excitement....but holy shit are the Niners firing on all cylinders, and to think we'll get Deebo back in a week or two.

They are definitely looking good. There toughest foe is going to be the Eagles in the playoffs, but it's looking more and more likely we will have a Bills-Niners superbowl. Then the Bills can lose their 5th superbowl  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Dream Team

« Reply #2009 on: December 24, 2022, 07:56:01 PM »
I would love to know if a Patriot player ever fumbled away a chance at a go-ahead TD late in the 4th quarter when TB was there. I bet it never happened. And that lateral last week?? Mac deserves better than this. Team should be 9-6.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2010 on: December 24, 2022, 07:59:32 PM »
I would love to know if a Patriot player ever fumbled away a chance at a go-ahead TD late in the 4th quarter when TB was there. I bet it never happened.

Of course it never happened. Because Tom Brady willed it not to happen.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2011 on: December 24, 2022, 08:30:37 PM »

They are definitely looking good. There toughest foe is going to be the Eagles in the playoffs, but it's looking more and more likely we will have a Bills-Niners superbowl. Then the Bills can lose their 5th superbowl  :lol

I'm dearly hoping for that match up, my kid is a hardcore Bills fan.

On a side note, what does Bills stand for?

Boy
I
Love
Losing
Superbowls

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2012 on: December 24, 2022, 08:59:59 PM »
On a side note, what does Bills stand for?

Boy
I
Love
Losing
Superbowls

:)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2013 on: December 24, 2022, 09:31:26 PM »
I would love to know if a Patriot player ever fumbled away a chance at a go-ahead TD late in the 4th quarter when TB was there. I bet it never happened. And that lateral last week?? Mac deserves better than this. Team should be 9-6.

You know, there had to be but I don't remember. I do remember in 2009 in a playoff game, there was a fumble against the Ravens when i was still trying to get to my seat. I left an hour before kickoff. It was nuts. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2014 on: December 25, 2022, 02:02:21 PM »
I don't know why I never learn my lesson about changing my pick at the last minute. Every time I do it I get burned and I swear I'll never do it again. RLR. GB was an obvious pick here and I just didn't have the conjones to stick with it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2015 on: December 25, 2022, 02:08:16 PM »
I don't know why I never learn my lesson about changing my pick at the last minute. Every time I do it I get burned and I swear I'll never do it again. RLR. GB was an obvious pick here and I just didn't have the conjones to stick with it.

I loved GB and the points today, but didn't have the balls to bet it.  Darn it. 

Just think...a few weeks ago, Emmanuel Acho was arguing on FS1 that Tua was better than Justin Herbert.  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2016 on: December 25, 2022, 04:14:19 PM »
Goofed and picked the Broncos because I had it in my head Rypien would make the start. Wasn't following NFL news this week.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2017 on: December 25, 2022, 04:21:12 PM »

I loved GB and the points today, but didn't have the balls to bet it.  Darn it. 

Just think...a few weeks ago, Emmanuel Acho was arguing on FS1 that Tua was better than Justin Herbert.  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Emmanuel Acho is a moron, much like most sports analysts.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 10:13:17 AM by TheCountOfNYC »
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2018 on: December 25, 2022, 05:18:19 PM »

Story of my (sports Pick’em) life.   I’ve written about that a couple times.   

Chris, if it matters, I thought he’d start too.   Wilson’s worse than Ryan and he’s been benched twice!

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2019 on: December 25, 2022, 06:04:58 PM »
Man, the Broncos got wrecked! :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2020 on: December 25, 2022, 07:40:13 PM »
For the first time ever, I’m getting the sense that Brady’s body isn’t doing what his brain is telling it to do.  THREE bad downfield throws (the last for an INT).  Underthrown and off target.  It’s no crime; he’s 45 for God’s sake.  I can’t really blame those on the routes being run.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2021 on: December 25, 2022, 08:35:49 PM »
Bucs are not winning the division and not making the playoffs. Team is just not in sync with each other. Carolina is probably the division winner with the momentum they seem to be having of late.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2022 on: December 25, 2022, 09:55:20 PM »
We’ll find out next week.   That’s why Brady is the goat.   The only play that matters is the next one.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2023 on: December 26, 2022, 10:53:51 AM »

Acho is actually a really smart guy, but that was a terrible take on his part. 

For the first time ever, I’m getting the sense that Brady’s body isn’t doing what his brain is telling it to do.  THREE bad downfield throws (the last for an INT).  Underthrown and off target.  It’s no crime; he’s 45 for God’s sake.  I can’t really blame those on the routes being run.

He looks about done, but while he has never looked this consistently bad in the regular season, I am still taking the "I will believe the Bucs are out of it when they lose in the playoffs" approach.  I have seen this film too many times already.

If nothing else, it's gonna be hilarious when the Cowboys go 13-4 and lose in the 1st round to a 9-8 or 8-9 Tampa team.  :lol :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2024 on: December 26, 2022, 10:55:02 AM »
Also, Denver finally fired Hackett.  Should have happened three months ago.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2025 on: December 26, 2022, 11:02:07 AM »

Acho is actually a really smart guy, but that was a terrible take on his part. 

He looks about done, but while he has never looked this consistently bad in the regular season, I am still taking the "I will believe the Bucs are out of it when they lose in the playoffs" approach.  I have seen this film too many times already.
How many people thought the dude was done in 2014?
E.F. Benson

Online Dream Team

« Reply #2026 on: December 26, 2022, 01:52:35 PM »
Brady's 10 completions by air yards from down 16-6 to tied 16-16:

That's 0 air yards to gain 93 yards (YAC).

How many plays before Arizona realized they might need to cover the RB in the flat?  ::)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2027 on: December 26, 2022, 09:36:28 PM »

Maybe not done, but fading, yes, and the numbers backed it up, as I remember the stats on his deep passes getting less effective for example. I think that is when he started going to the fake doctor to stay in great shape and improve his overall body mobility and whatnot as he started to age, and the rest is history. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2028 on: December 27, 2022, 08:28:29 AM »

Maybe not done, but fading, yes, and the numbers backed it up, as I remember the stats on his deep passes getting less effective for example. I think that is when he started going to the fake doctor to stay in great shape and improve his overall body mobility and whatnot as he started to age, and the rest is history.
Of course he's fading. I agree with you. I'm just suggesting that the guy seems to fade a whole lot slower than what we're accustomed to. It's hard to predict his trajectory, and numerous times he's looked done and leveled off for a while. Good quarterbacks can compensate for a loss of physical skills in other areas; particularly intelligence and experience. Peyton hung on a few more years by simply picking apart defenses in the shorter game. When TB12 has looked good this year that's what he's done. He's clearly coming up on the end of his career, but that doesn't mean he can't still be dangerous any given Sunday.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2029 on: December 27, 2022, 09:05:11 AM »

He's used the fake doctor around 2006.  Willie McGinest was working with Guerrero and that's how Brady was introduced to him.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC