Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 102949 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2022 NFL Thread (Brady butt-kissing session Volume 31)
« Reply #1750 on: December 07, 2022, 10:23:36 AM »
Even though I am not a Broncos fan anymore, their defense does deserve a little blame for their record. In three games now this season, the other team had the ball in the last two minutes and trailing, and the Denver defense let them come down to score to either win it or tie it.  Gotta get those stops.

As for Wilson, yes, he has been terrible this year, but keep in mind he has a terrible coach, a horrific o-line, little to no running game and no WRs (Sutton hasn't been good since 2019 and Jeudy is unproven as a pro).  I think he could turn it around next year if all or most of those issues get resolved.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1751 on: December 07, 2022, 12:56:18 PM »
I agree with a big chunk of that. Something I will say is that Aikman was very definitely on the decline. Big time. He wasn't heading down Brady's path and fell short because of injuries. While I have no doubt that he retired because of the concussions, I also have no doubt that he knew he couldn't play like he used to and it was his time either way.

I agree with that. 

I find the Aikman and Emmitt Smith legacies fascinating as in real time, there were definitely thought who thought Aikman was better than Steve Young (John Madden frequently called Aikman the best QB in football), and many who thought E. Smith was better than Barry Sanders, yet here we are decades later and it seems pretty commonly accepted that Sanders > Smith and Young > Aikman.  Just goes to show ya how skewed thinking can be in real time because of WINNING.  Hindsight and letting things marinate a bit often gives different and better perspective.

And as a sidebar, there are few old coaches or players I'd rather listen to talk about the game than Jimmy Johnson. I was trained as a kid to hate the Cowboys, so I could never full appreciate him when he and the Cowboys had their run, but whenever he is on The Herd (which I don't watch, but I catch clips on YT) and talks football, it is like a football savant speaking and spitting knowledge.  It's easy to see why he was so successful as a head coach.

This times 100. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1752 on: December 07, 2022, 01:09:10 PM »
I'd put Jimmy's success on two things, really. One is an understanding of the fundamentals, which begin with the lines. His winning teams had top-end O and D lines, and that's where it all begins. The other was being a good manager of personnel. He was situated as the bad cop, vs Jerry's good cop, and he knew how to make the best of it. Players were terrified of the guy, and to reinforce that he always seemed to cut somebody a few weeks into the season after they make a mistake. To that end, I suppose the difference between him and Belichick is that Jimmy was pretty clear that rules didn't apply to everybody, and Bill makes sure that they do. Bill isn't afraid to hold people accountable. That's why 88 can attempt to murder somebody in the lockerroom (by his own admission) and still start the next game.  :lol

I'm honestly not sure how Bill would handle a stabbing perpetrated by a star player. My hunch is that he'd quietly bar the lockerroom doors and let the players sort it out amongst themselves like Major Riceman in the Dirty Dozen.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1753 on: December 07, 2022, 01:19:51 PM »
You got to think he had some kind of experience with personalities on the Cowboys during the JJ era with the likes of Lawrence Taylor.  That man himself was a 53 man whirlwind.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1754 on: December 07, 2022, 02:48:20 PM »
You got to think he had some kind of experience with personalities on the Cowboys during the JJ era with the likes of Lawrence Taylor.  That man himself was a 53 man whirlwind.  :lol

Well, Parcells was famously of the Jimmie Johnson school.  He made no bones about treated LT different; Simms carried a grudge for a long time about that, and only after he retired did he realize that whatever success he had was because Parcells handled him the way he did, and that wasn't the same as the way he handled LT.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1755 on: December 07, 2022, 05:56:21 PM »
Pretty good explanation for why Garoppolo is a top 5 QB and is underrated:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvVGVt9VBKc&list=TLPQMDcxMjIwMjIOmyVHfpbJZw&index=6

Pretty hard to argue with the hard facts and data.  But I know people love to try because reasons.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1756 on: December 07, 2022, 06:16:30 PM »
Yep, nothing shows your objectivity better than starting off your argument with, "No matter how bad he plays, I defend him."  :lol :lol :P :P

Good chatter above about Jimmy Johnson.  He and Belichick are definitely cut from the same cloth, except like Barto said, BB doesn't give special treatment to anyone, while Jimmy did.  I think having a head coach that instill a little fear in players, like "Oh shit, I could get cut if I don't do this or that," is a good thing, and it seems like coaches like that are a dying breed. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1757 on: December 07, 2022, 06:23:15 PM »
Belichick gives plenty of special treatment.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1758 on: December 07, 2022, 06:23:52 PM »

Give them examples Tim.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1759 on: December 07, 2022, 06:26:34 PM »

Give them examples Tim.

That's too much thinking. I just think it's a fallacy that Bill isn't like that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1760 on: December 07, 2022, 06:28:47 PM »
That won't hold up in court, Mr. Prosecutor. ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1761 on: December 07, 2022, 06:30:14 PM »
I am not prepared to go to court tonight.  :lol
I just think that is all part of the national narrative.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1762 on: December 07, 2022, 06:36:09 PM »
I'd disagree with Tim. He's punished guys for being late to practice after a blizzard.  He benched Welker for a quarter in a playoff game for saying feet many times durring press interview.  You know, the Jets.

I could go on. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1763 on: December 07, 2022, 06:38:41 PM »
I'd disagree with Tim. He's punished guys for being late to practice after a blizzard.  He benched Welker for a quarter in a playoff game for saying feet many times durring press interview.  You know, the Jets.

I could go on.

And he benched Malcolm Butler in the SB because he was disrespectful to his son. I just think that Bill is way more inconsistent than he is given credit for.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1764 on: December 07, 2022, 06:39:31 PM »
Granted, Brady never stabbed anybody in the neck, so Bill never actually had to be in Jimmy's shoes. I think the thing is, his star players don't need that because he runs a tight enough ship that nobody's getting into those situations. Despite Jimmy's hardass demeanor, it was a real circus behind the scenes. He'd cut somebody for fumbling, but drunken coke-fueld orgies after hours weren't a problem. Hell, I wouldn't rule out him showing up to one or two. I don't gather there's a whole lot of that going on in NE. Probably a little, but sitting out and missing a game check for arriving late to practice probably keeps people on the straight and narrow, and he probably doesn't sign too many players like that anyway. Aaron Hernandez was the exception, and he was cut before he even made bail. If that had been Alvin Harper or Mark Tuinei Jerry would have sent his limo to bail him out, hired the best lawyers in Texas, and "settled" with the family and witnesses to make the thing go away.  :lol

Ask Bitch Boy Brady about that. 

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1765 on: December 07, 2022, 06:43:01 PM »
One of the all time best Belichick moments was his presser after the Aaron Hernandez thing. he was...human.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZASRlp0Cp9Y

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1766 on: December 08, 2022, 07:33:21 AM »
One of the all time best Belichick moments was his presser after the Aaron Hernandez thing. he was...human.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZASRlp0Cp9Y

"Our players are generally highly motivated and gifted athletes".  "Generally"?   Hahaha.  "Except the kickers!"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1767 on: December 08, 2022, 07:38:06 AM »
Brady is currently enjoying his 10th consecutive season with a top 10 scoring defense, more than Peyton Rodgers Brees Mahomes combined in their entire careers. Good thing too, imagine if he had to score more than 17 points to win a game. Number of times scoring 20+ points this year:

Brock Purdy 1
Tom Brady 1

Wonder how much Mark Ingram got paid to run out of bounds short of the sticks so that we had to go through another jerkoff session about a guy who led his offense to 3 points during the first 55 minutes against a 3-8 team so he could finally get to .500 in a shit division. Can’t wait until that Niners-Bucs game.
Jesus, man.  You've got to let that shit go.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1768 on: December 08, 2022, 09:16:44 PM »
Baker Mayfield = MVP!

My Broncos suck hard, but I can take solace in the Raiders losing to a guy who just signed with the team 2 days ago!   :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1769 on: December 08, 2022, 09:25:47 PM »
Raiders kind of beat themselves on that, but what else is new.

Don't know why nobody ever considered that playing on such short notice might have benefited Mayfield. It was taking him out of a complex NFL offense and letting him play more of his own game. I briefly considered picking LA for that reason, and didn't really consider QB play to be a factor against the Rams. I just figured that the Raiders should be able to put up more than 16 points out of LA's abysmal D. Stupid of me, I suppose.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1770 on: December 09, 2022, 07:23:27 AM »
Raiders kind of beat themselves on that, but what else is new.

Don't know why nobody ever considered that playing on such short notice might have benefited Mayfield. It was taking him out of a complex NFL offense and letting him play more of his own game. I briefly considered picking LA for that reason, and didn't really consider QB play to be a factor against the Rams. I just figured that the Raiders should be able to put up more than 16 points out of LA's abysmal D. Stupid of me, I suppose.

Herbstreit alluded to that near the end.  He had the dumbed down version of the playbook, but then they went into the hurry-up and Kirk noted that this allowed Baker to not think but just PLAY.  I mean, he looked really good most of the game, but that last 10 minutes or so, he looked like the GOAT.   ;)

But even with that, the Raiders absolutely beat themselves.  That stupid ball-slap penalty was a killer, in particular.  I honestly feel bad for Derek Carr.  He's a really good QB, and in the right - read: stable, which the Raiders are not - environment, he could excel.  If I was a San Francisco fan, I'd be drooling at two seasons of Derek Carr in SF.  They'd win the Super Bowl with the weapons they'd have around him.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1771 on: December 09, 2022, 07:23:41 AM »
That was more of a Raiders collapse than anything else.  What initially looked like a microcosm of the Rams season, ended being a microcosm of the Raiders season.  7 losses by one possession.  Josh McDoofus HC of the year!  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1772 on: December 09, 2022, 07:26:57 AM »
That was more of a Raiders collapse than anything else.  What initially looked like a microcosm of the Rams season, ended being a microcosm of the Raiders season.  7 losses by one possession.  Josh McDoofus HC of the year!  :lol

Yeah, but those two throws by Mayfield on the last drive (and they weren't the only ones) weren't luck. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1773 on: December 09, 2022, 08:57:12 AM »
He doesn't get those throws if the Raiders don't give up 30+ yds in penalties and play solid defense.  Mayfield just took what the defense gave him.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1774 on: December 09, 2022, 09:44:37 AM »
Tom Brady: "I just helped lead a double-digit 4th quarter comeback, LET'S GOOOOO"

Baker Mayfield: "Hold my beer Tom, I'll do it after knowing the playbook for 2 days. LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1775 on: December 09, 2022, 10:59:45 AM »
Tom Brady: "I just helped lead a double-digit 4th quarter comeback, LET'S GOOOOO"

Baker Mayfield: "Hold my beer Tom, I'll do it after knowing the playbook for 2 days. LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Clearly Mayfield is the GOAT.  I said that above.  Who cares if he's been on three teams in three years and hasn't won squat? 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1776 on: December 09, 2022, 11:24:59 AM »

Tom Brady: 44 Fourth Quarter Comebacks, 56 Game-Winning Drives

Baker Mayfield: 7 Fourth Quarter Comebacks, 8 Game-Winning Drives

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1777 on: December 09, 2022, 11:25:52 AM »

Boy, Brady sure does get down early a lot.  ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1778 on: December 09, 2022, 11:26:58 AM »

Boy, Brady sure does get down early a lot.  ;D

Like against Atlanta.  :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1779 on: December 09, 2022, 11:59:48 AM »
Baker is the only QB in the Super Bowl era to lead TWO DIFFERENT TEAMS to a 13+ point comeback in his first game with them (Browns, Rams).  He's the GOAT.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1780 on: December 10, 2022, 06:10:03 AM »
As a Rams fan and after the crap year we've had I was shocked at the results and performance by Baker.  Well done!  Let's see how he does in the last 4 weeks.  I knew coming into this season that Wolford wasn't the answer at QB2, and Perkins was a bit of a question mark.  After seeing him play I would say he's not the solution either.  One of the only positives with this injury riddled season is we're getting a real good look at a lot of our depth players.  Gotta look for the positives right? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1781 on: December 11, 2022, 03:12:15 PM »

Clearly Mayfield Brock Purdy is the GOAT.

ftfy   :biggrin:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline emtee

« Reply #1782 on: December 11, 2022, 03:42:34 PM »
Lions look good!

49'ers look good.

Texans = joke.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1783 on: December 11, 2022, 03:49:44 PM »
Deebo Samuel hurt, and I will be shocked if he plays again this season. The way he grabbed his knee and how inconsolable he was when being carted off looked like a guy who knew he tore something.  Huge loss for the 49ers.  Sucks to see, as he is one of the most exciting players to watch in the entire league.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1784 on: December 11, 2022, 04:24:49 PM »
Deebo Samuel hurt, and I will be shocked if he plays again this season. The way he grabbed his knee and how inconsolable he was when being carted off looked like a guy who knew he tore something.  Huge loss for the 49ers.  Sucks to see, as he is one of the most exciting players to watch in the entire league.
Yeah, not good.

But Brock Purdy is looking fantastic! Tom Brady is looking terrible. Then again the 49ers have the best defense in the league, so...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar