Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 102999 times)

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: 2022 NFL Thread (R.I.P. NFL)
« Reply #1190 on: October 24, 2022, 07:42:16 AM »
Eh, I'm not counting the Packers or the Bucs out just yet. IMO, this year is wide open. Both of those teams are underperforming, but should easily be in contention to win their divisions.

Completely agree. As a Vikings fan, I love to see the Packers lose. But I won't count them out being only 2.5 games behind with 10 weeks to go. The Packers need a pretty large change in how they're playing to turn things around, but crazier things have happened. And I'm not very confident in the Vikings to run away with the division.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1191 on: October 24, 2022, 08:04:47 AM »
I read Rogers's lips after a particularly awful play yesterday when he said "What are we doing?"  I don't ever remember him doing that before. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1192 on: October 24, 2022, 08:15:51 AM »
The funny thing is, when you get passed the Eagles, it's very easy to imagine the rest of the higher-up teams in the Power Rankings ending the year something like 9-8, 8-9, etc. The Jets? Check! Giants? Check! Vikings? Check! Cowboys? Check!

That leaves things wide open for even teams that are underperforming now, like the Packers and Bucs. That's what makes this season so interesting, though. Not even halfway in yet, but usually by now, we start to see a lot more separation in the league that what we've seen thus far. And after the Eagles, Bills, and Chiefs, it's a hodgepodge of teams that are significantly flawed in at least one area of the ballgame.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1193 on: October 24, 2022, 09:57:50 AM »
We lost our star in the making RB, but got the win. JETS ARE 5-2! Holy shit! LOL. I mean, we have the Patriots next weekend, which probably means a big fat "L", but these days, you never know!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1194 on: October 24, 2022, 10:10:37 AM »
The funny thing is, when you get passed the Eagles, it's very easy to imagine the rest of the higher-up teams in the Power Rankings ending the year something like 9-8, 8-9, etc. The Jets? Check! Giants? Check! Vikings? Check! Cowboys? Check!

That leaves things wide open for even teams that are underperforming now, like the Packers and Bucs. That's what makes this season so interesting, though. Not even halfway in yet, but usually by now, we start to see a lot more separation in the league that what we've seen thus far. And after the Eagles, Bills, and Chiefs, it's a hodgepodge of teams that are significantly flawed in at least one area of the ballgame.

I think it's premature to include the Eagles in the same realm as the Bills and the Chiefs. 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1195 on: October 24, 2022, 10:44:23 AM »

I think it's premature to include the Eagles in the same realm as the Bills and the Chiefs.

I think 6-0 needs to be respected no matter what. They handed the Vikings their lone loss this season so far and the Cowboys one of their two. It’s not like they’re only beating up on bottom dwellers. They’re winning against teams with playoff aspirations. Sure the NFC isn’t as good as the AFC, but the Eagles are clearly the class of that conference so far this season, and I think writing them off when they’re the lone undefeated team is a mistake. And to be clear, I hate the Eagles and all things Philadelphia besides cheesesteaks, but they have been impressive so far.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1196 on: October 24, 2022, 11:39:43 AM »

I think 6-0 needs to be respected no matter what. They handed the Vikings their lone loss this season so far and the Cowboys one of their two. It’s not like they’re only beating up on bottom dwellers. They’re winning against teams with playoff aspirations. Sure the NFC isn’t as good as the AFC, but the Eagles are clearly the class of that conference so far this season, and I think writing them off when they’re the lone undefeated team is a mistake. And to be clear, I hate the Eagles and all things Philadelphia besides cheesesteaks, but they have been impressive so far.

I won't argue that at all.  All reasonable points. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1197 on: October 24, 2022, 11:53:25 AM »
I still can't believe how the Giants keep pulling out these come from behind wins.  I thought for sure they were going to lose on that last pass play, but somehow just managed to keep the WR out of the endzone.  Just another gutsy performance. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1198 on: October 24, 2022, 12:08:22 PM »
I still can't believe how the Giants keep pulling out these come from behind wins.  I thought for sure they were going to lose on that last pass play, but somehow just managed to keep the WR out of the endzone.  Just another gutsy performance.

But it shows how tenuous it is; Barkley should have gone down sooner, thus cutting the time in half, and the Jags had NO BUSINESS being on the 12 yard line, or whatever it was, to begin with.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1199 on: October 24, 2022, 12:14:44 PM »

But it shows how tenuous it is; Barkley should have gone down sooner, thus cutting the time in half, and the Jags had NO BUSINESS being on the 12 yard line, or whatever it was, to begin with.

That entire last possession was very odd and the refs were all over the place at the end of that game.  I think the refs actually really were giving the Giants the calls all game long until that last drive, like they were trying to even things up. I do agree, it should have never come down to that, but they still held up. 

Also, loved how the Jaquars stadium was filled with Giants fans.  I guess all those NYers who moved to Florida came out yesterday.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1200 on: October 24, 2022, 06:42:42 PM »
Two things.

1) Is anyone gonna tell the Jaguars that they got absolutely fleeced in that trade?

2) I’m ready to form a religious around Joe Douglas.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1201 on: October 24, 2022, 06:43:45 PM »
3:30 wake up call and the Pats are making it easy to go to bed early.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1202 on: October 24, 2022, 06:50:21 PM »
3:30 wake up call and the Pats are making it easy to go to bed early.

I can relate. It's still early though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1203 on: October 24, 2022, 06:52:48 PM »
7am flight to Washington DC. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1204 on: October 24, 2022, 06:53:57 PM »
7am flight to Washington DC.

Conference?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1205 on: October 24, 2022, 07:04:56 PM »
Bill Burr is supposed to be the 2nd guest on the Manning Cast tonight. I may have to turn it on just to see that.  I wasn't watching this game, but Burr is awesome, so that will be good.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1206 on: October 24, 2022, 07:05:34 PM »
Bill Burr is supposed to be the 2nd guest on the Manning Cast tonight. I may have to turn it on just to see that.  I wasn't watching this game, but Burr is awesome, so that will be good.

Oh I'll have to see that. What channel is that on?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1207 on: October 24, 2022, 07:06:37 PM »
ESPN2.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1208 on: October 24, 2022, 07:07:16 PM »
Cool. I found it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1209 on: October 24, 2022, 07:22:34 PM »

I got a 3:30 am call and now I have to watch. I've got to admit.  The Manningcast is better than the regular game cast.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1210 on: October 24, 2022, 07:28:30 PM »
I can't watch the Manningcast. Seems awful.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1211 on: October 24, 2022, 07:30:36 PM »
It's amazing. What are you talking about Willis?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1212 on: October 24, 2022, 07:32:31 PM »
What time is Bill Burr coming on?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1213 on: October 24, 2022, 07:34:52 PM »
2nd half. Right at the beginning.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1214 on: October 24, 2022, 07:36:38 PM »
Oh OK. Thank you. Now I can stop flipping over.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1215 on: October 24, 2022, 08:16:50 PM »
Peyton: I love you giving advice on the RPO.
Eli: I can coach it, I can’t do it.   

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1216 on: October 24, 2022, 08:23:51 PM »
Bill Burr:  I've got to admit Peyton that it pisses me off that you are so funny in your commercials. 

:lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1217 on: October 24, 2022, 08:26:57 PM »
Burr in the Mannigcast has been a painful segment to watch, honestly.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1218 on: October 24, 2022, 08:40:31 PM »
What are you talking about?  That was funny

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1219 on: October 24, 2022, 08:41:22 PM »
Not really.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1220 on: October 24, 2022, 08:41:52 PM »
You have no funny bone dude.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: 2022 NFL Thread (TB12 picking out Christmas presents for the officials)
« Reply #1221 on: October 24, 2022, 09:33:40 PM »
Is it just me, or are they one of the better tackling teams in the league?   There were about three or four really nice, open-field, one-on-one tackles that shut down what could have been big plays.
I think it might just look that way because of how absolutely awful they were last year.  :lol  They're definitely majorly improved, and I saw some good open field tackling yesterday. Over the course of the season I've seen some sloppy tackles, too, though. Still, big improvement from last year.
This was a regression to last year's tackling and the obvious ramification.

My initial inclination was that switching to Zappe was a disastrous move. BZ has the hot hand right now, but we all know that McCorkle is the horse you put your money on. That might change, but Mac has the pedigree. Right now Bill's taking a very big risk that he crashes the kid and he has to be euthanized right there on the side of the field. If he comes through this he'll be better for it, but the messaging is that NE is real close to moving on from him already. That's not good. Interestingly, somebody who's been in this exact situation is Troy Aikman. Shame he didn't have the balls to bring up the impact Steve Walsh had on his trajectory. It would have been excellent insight.

In any case, the game demonstrated quite well that BZ's not the wunderkind Patriots fans are making him out to be. Circumstances have been quite different for both QB's, and looking to start BZ over McCorkle is just silly. Great grist for the talking heads, though.

That said, the pick McCorkle threw to get himself benched was butt ugly. Christ. Seems that changing systems on the kid really did put the zap on his head.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1222 on: October 24, 2022, 10:11:50 PM »
This might be the first time in years that the Jets will be favored against the Pats. I can’t wait to be in attendance next Sunday.

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1223 on: October 25, 2022, 05:52:29 AM »
Pre-Week 8 Power Rankings
01 Buffalo Bills - the team to beat, as they are loaded everywhere, but need to not falter like last year after winning at KC in the regular season
02 Kansas City Chiefs - what Mahomes and the offense just did to that great defense in SF was scary
03 Philadelphia Eagles - 6-0 and the schedule is not difficult, so the 1 seed is theirs if they continue to play well
04 New York Giants - considering Daniel Jones is the QB, what Brian Daboll has done with this team is unreal
05 Cincinnati Bengals - 4-1 after a tough start, they are looking like the team that went to the Super Bowl last year
06 Dallas Cowboys - top notch D, but need to say run-heavy on offense, even with Prescott back
07 New York Jets - losing Breece Hall is big and there are still questions about their QB, but 5-2 is 5-2
08 Minnesota Vikings - Kirk Cousins continues to be the most unfairly disrespected QB in the league
09 Baltimore Ravens - this feels like a team that could win a playoff game and be a tough out in their second, but it's hard to see this team making a deep run
10 Tennessee Titans - they were a mere afterthought for many, but Vrabel continues to show what a good head coach he is

Top 5 MVP candidates
01 Josh Allen
02 Patrick Mahomes
03 Micah Parsons
04 Saquan Barkley
05 Jalen Hurts

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2022 NFL Thread (TB12 picking out Christmas presents for the officials)
« Reply #1224 on: October 25, 2022, 06:46:23 AM »
Is it just me, or are they one of the better tackling teams in the league?   There were about three or four really nice, open-field, one-on-one tackles that shut down what could have been big plays.
I think it might just look that way because of how absolutely awful they were last year.  :lol  They're definitely majorly improved, and I saw some good open field tackling yesterday. Over the course of the season I've seen some sloppy tackles, too, though. Still, big improvement from last year.
This was a regression to last year's tackling and the obvious ramification.

My initial inclination was that switching to Zappe was a disastrous move. BZ has the hot hand right now, but we all know that McCorkle is the horse you put your money on. That might change, but Mac has the pedigree. Right now Bill's taking a very big risk that he crashes the kid and he has to be euthanized right there on the side of the field. If he comes through this he'll be better for it, but the messaging is that NE is real close to moving on from him already. That's not good. Interestingly, somebody who's been in this exact situation is Troy Aikman. Shame he didn't have the balls to bring up the impact Steve Walsh had on his trajectory. It would have been excellent insight.

In any case, the game demonstrated quite well that BZ's not the wunderkind Patriots fans are making him out to be. Circumstances have been quite different for both QB's, and looking to start BZ over McCorkle is just silly. Great grist for the talking heads, though.

That said, the pick McCorkle threw to get himself benched was butt ugly. Christ. Seems that changing systems on the kid really did put the zap on his head.

In the postgame with Scott Van Pelt, Aikman missed another opportunity to make that point you raised (while talking about Fields).  He was clear though, that Mac Jones will be starting next week and no mistake. I think that's right.  It depends on how Bill fronts it in the clubhouse.  I think Jones is probably a LITTLE better prepared to handle this given where he comes from.

I will say this; I like Jones, I like his skills, I love how he moves in the pocket, but there's an intangible with him that I haven't got past yet; he's still thrown too many goofy balls (some intercepted) that I get a Carson Wentz vibe from him that he HAS to shake if he's going to be even very good, let alone great.