Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 100473 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: 2022 NFL Thread (R.I.P. NFL)
« Reply #1050 on: October 12, 2022, 11:11:13 AM »
Overlooked this week in lieu of roughing calls was Davante Adams shoving a cameraman down when leaving the field. He's now been charged with assault in the matter. This certainly ups the odds of the league suspending him. More interesting to me is JMD's stance on this. Seems like it would have been a good opportunity to assert some authority, and a team first attitude. And it would have been a freebee. Announce immediately afterward that it was unacceptable and suspend him for a game, knowing that the league is going to suspend him anyway. Essentially saying "yeah, not our problem, let the league sort it out" isn't a very good look.

Don't disagree.   Adams apologized in the post-game interview, so he's taking responsibility, but that only goes so far.
You see the apology? More than a little half-assed.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1051 on: October 12, 2022, 11:20:59 AM »
Was there more than the twitter thing he wrote? He was like 'hey cameraman hope you see this I'm sorry bro'.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1052 on: October 12, 2022, 12:46:40 PM »
"I want to apologize to the guy, there was some guy running off the field, and he ran, like jumped in front of me coming off the field, and I bumped into him, kind of pushed him, and he ended up on the ground. So I wanted to say sorry to him for that because that was just frustration mixed with him literally just running in front of me. I shouldn't have responded that way, but that's how I initially responded. So, I want to apologize to him for that."

Seriously, this is why you talk to your agent and have a proper apology written out for you.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1053 on: October 12, 2022, 12:57:11 PM »
 :lol

Classic!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1054 on: October 12, 2022, 12:58:41 PM »
Dang that is something.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1055 on: October 12, 2022, 01:00:09 PM »
He might as well have said "I'm sorry for you running into me."

What El Barto posted is what I heard/saw in the post-game interview. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1056 on: October 12, 2022, 05:00:47 PM »
The reaction by the sports media to the Adams thing is so bizarre, but not at all surprising.

If that had been a fan who pushed a player, everyone would be calling for the fan to be banned from the stadium and arrested for assault.  And both things would have been more than justified.

But Adams pushes a cameraman and he is getting the "he shouldn't have done it, but no way should he be charged with anything" pass from many. 

Not sure we can have it both ways.

Odds are, Adams will get a slap on the wrist and pay court costs and a fine, and then have to pay the cameraman a nice wad of cash to make him go away, and all will be fine.  He made a big mistake, which he will, and should, pay for, but I don't think this is a major indictment on him, as he seems like a good dude who has had no issues prior.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1057 on: October 12, 2022, 05:03:57 PM »

That's where my money is riding.   There is literally no fact in the world that will slake the hate.  And again I have to ask:  why is it that  in a country that professes to be the "greatest in the world", is "greatness" so readily mocked and shunned?

I will remember this the next time you question the greatness of Mahomes, who, by the standards set in this thread this week, is clearly in your head. :)

I'll say again: I have no beef with Mahomes.  He is a great player; right this second, he's probably the best active QB in the league right now.  I don't have pet names for him; he's not "my bitch boy".  My SOLE BEEF with anything to do with Patrick Mahomes is the anointing.   My SOLE BEEF with him is putting him in the echelon of greats based on what he MIGHT do, not what he's done (and that includes not just A great season, but a run of a DECADE OR MORE of great seasons). 

VERY VERY VERY different than the very personal hatred for Brady the MAN, where not only are his amazing on-field exploits down-played and minimized, but also his character and personality are judged as if they matter in terms of playing football.

Okay, but how many are really putting him in the GOAT conversation already based on what he might do?  This feels like one of those things someone said once and then boneheads on Twitter love to spout and now all of a sudden it is a narrative being pushed by many, when that really isn't the case.  I find it best to not put much stock into what the mob is saying on Twitter.  I suspect you know this as well. :)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1058 on: October 12, 2022, 08:00:44 PM »
BIG +1 to Kev.

There are A LOT of avenues where the dialog is a mile wide and an inch deep…and often made to sound as if it’s more popular than it actually is.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1059 on: October 12, 2022, 08:13:17 PM »
BIG +1 to Kev.

There are A LOT of avenues where the dialog is a mile wide and an inch deep…and often made to sound as if it’s more popular than it actually is.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1060 on: October 13, 2022, 07:36:59 AM »
The reaction by the sports media to the Adams thing is so bizarre, but not at all surprising.

If that had been a fan who pushed a player, everyone would be calling for the fan to be banned from the stadium and arrested for assault.  And both things would have been more than justified.

But Adams pushes a cameraman and he is getting the "he shouldn't have done it, but no way should he be charged with anything" pass from many. 

Not sure we can have it both ways.

Odds are, Adams will get a slap on the wrist and pay court costs and a fine, and then have to pay the cameraman a nice wad of cash to make him go away, and all will be fine.  He made a big mistake, which he will, and should, pay for, but I don't think this is a major indictment on him, as he seems like a good dude who has had no issues prior.

But they are not really on the same level, though.  I don't know; I think I have to stew on this a bit, but I see differences between the cameraman and the player, and a fan who inserts themselves into the conversation. 

What about that guy that lit off a smoke bomb in his shorts and was tackled on the field by one of the Rams players? He filed a police report after the incident... I'm the cops or the DA, I'm laughing in that guys face.  You were where you CLEARLY didn't belong, doing things you CLEARLY shouldn't have been doing.  That doesn't justify EVERYTHING that could happen, but still. I imagine that as a "protestor" he'd be the first to whine about "consequences", but when it's on him, all bets are off apparently.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1061 on: October 13, 2022, 10:07:20 AM »
Feature piece on Danny Snyder and the owner's mafia.

Sources: Commanders boss Snyder claims 'dirt' on NFL owners, Goodell

The stuff about Snyder isn't all that new, or even interesting (though I wasn't aware of the trainer dealing oxy). He was a well known scumbag ever since he came aboard. It provides more insight into the inner workings of the owners, though, and that does interest me. They really are somewhat akin to the mafia. They're all quite friendly while being competitive with each other, but they're also acutely aware that any one of them could get figuratively gunned down at a toll plaza. What they're reporting sounds like exactly the same backbiting that was going on around deflategate, with the owners divided into factions. Except that in this case Snyder is a faction of 1.

"The NFL is a mafia," he recently told an associate. "All the owners hate each other."

"That's not true," one veteran owner says. "All the owners hate Dan."

Probably true that the owners don't hate each other. Vito and Michael both understood that you didn't take these things personally. It's just business. Sonny took things personally and we all know how that turned out.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1062 on: October 13, 2022, 10:35:41 AM »
There is a pettiness to the owner like children, jealous of the other child that has the ice cream cone.  It amazes me the lengths they will go through to tarnish each other. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1063 on: October 13, 2022, 11:12:47 AM »

That's where my money is riding.   There is literally no fact in the world that will slake the hate.  And again I have to ask:  why is it that  in a country that professes to be the "greatest in the world", is "greatness" so readily mocked and shunned?

I will remember this the next time you question the greatness of Mahomes, who, by the standards set in this thread this week, is clearly in your head. :)

I'll say again: I have no beef with Mahomes.  He is a great player; right this second, he's probably the best active QB in the league right now.  I don't have pet names for him; he's not "my bitch boy".  My SOLE BEEF with anything to do with Patrick Mahomes is the anointing.   My SOLE BEEF with him is putting him in the echelon of greats based on what he MIGHT do, not what he's done (and that includes not just A great season, but a run of a DECADE OR MORE of great seasons). 

VERY VERY VERY different than the very personal hatred for Brady the MAN, where not only are his amazing on-field exploits down-played and minimized, but also his character and personality are judged as if they matter in terms of playing football.

Okay, but how many are really putting him in the GOAT conversation already based on what he might do?  This feels like one of those things someone said once and then boneheads on Twitter love to spout and now all of a sudden it is a narrative being pushed by many, when that really isn't the case.  I find it best to not put much stock into what the mob is saying on Twitter.  I suspect you know this as well. :)

No, I already (largely) ignore the Twitter-verse. There's some really whack people on there.  But it's not just limited to Twitter; it's people here (if I'm reading them right), the announcers, and some of the analysts as well.  I've heard announcers that know better saying shit they shouldn't be saying.  The "baton passing" between Brady - who is the greatest offensive player to ever have played the game - and Mahomes.  Mahomes is not the next on the list of "greatest offensive players of all time" still active in the league.  YET.   That's not the baton. YET.   It might well be.  But it's not yet.   

Look, Bill Parcells should know; he's been in football his entire life on both sides of the mic.  If he's lamenting "the anointings" (not just of Mahomes, but in general) then it's a good bet there's SOMETHING to it.  We are a "super size", "extreme", "deluxe" society with zero patience.   It shouldn't surprise anyone that what sells is not waiting for nature to take it's course, but to move to the next generation NOW, like it's an f-ing iPhone for shit's sake.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1064 on: October 13, 2022, 12:36:43 PM »
Honestly, Bill Parcells not liking something isn't reason for anything.  He's a sourpuss who doesn't like ANYTHING.  He's not crazy about the forward pass rule being adopted.

Say what you want about Mahomes, he's one of the greatest offensive players I've ever seen, and I see no reason for that not to continue, barring some devastating injury. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1065 on: October 13, 2022, 01:42:44 PM »
Honestly, Bill Parcells not liking something isn't reason for anything.  He's a sourpuss who doesn't like ANYTHING.  He's not crazy about the forward pass rule being adopted.

Say what you want about Mahomes, he's one of the greatest offensive players I've ever seen, and I see no reason for that not to continue, barring some devastating injury.

There was no reason that Don Gullett shouldn't have had 300 wins and 3,000 strikeouts, baring some devastating injury.  Oh wait...

Bo Jackson, Gale Sayers, Priest Holmes...

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1066 on: October 13, 2022, 03:11:09 PM »
Don Gullett?!  That's a next level pull!  Also, his number don't bear that out, even if you extrapolate over a 20 year career.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1067 on: October 13, 2022, 11:32:20 PM »

Well, one can dream, right?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1068 on: October 13, 2022, 11:42:41 PM »
Hey Denver, how are you liking Russell Wilson going full Russ mode? Apparently he is launching a new line of clothing, and in a Tweet referred to his fans (I guess...?) as the 3s. You know... like fans of the Seahawks were the 12s.

I am thankful for all he did for the Seahawk fans and franchise, and equally happy we are through with this clown.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1069 on: October 14, 2022, 06:29:41 AM »
I know the game last night was awful, but has anyone else tried watching the Thursday night games in Prime Vision?

Or was that discussed and I missed it?

Anyway, I think it's a cool option to have, and therefore only possible on a streaming service like Prime.  I definitely wouldn't want to be forced to watch every game, or even an entire individual game, like that, but it's neat.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1070 on: October 14, 2022, 06:40:42 AM »
I know the game last night was awful, but has anyone else tried watching the Thursday night games in Prime Vision?

Anyway, I think it's a cool option to have, and therefore only possible on a streaming service like Prime.  I definitely wouldn't want to be forced to watch every game, or even an entire individual game, like that, but it's neat.

Yes I have mentioned this and yes I think it sucks!  :tdwn

There are plenty of times when I want to surf, especially during a boring game and I can't easily do it. I dunno, maybe it's my setup but if they start streaming on Saturday or Sunday, I will definitely be out except for my team.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1071 on: October 14, 2022, 07:14:45 AM »
There's been buffering issues with it Hef.  Not the end of the world but with what we all pay for TV and streaming I expect better.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1072 on: October 14, 2022, 07:49:01 AM »
What about that guy that lit off a smoke bomb in his shorts and was tackled on the field by one of the Rams players? He filed a police report after the incident... I'm the cops or the DA, I'm laughing in that guys face.  You were where you CLEARLY didn't belong, doing things you CLEARLY shouldn't have been doing.  That doesn't justify EVERYTHING that could happen, but still. I imagine that as a "protestor" he'd be the first to whine about "consequences", but when it's on him, all bets are off apparently.

I saw something that said he actually might have a case, but I really hope not.  If that guy gets anything other than a fine it sets a bad precedent.  I feel like there's already so many more incidents these days of people running onto the fields of various sports.  I may be wrong, it just seems like this wasn't so common.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1073 on: October 14, 2022, 07:54:08 AM »

There are plenty of times when I want to surf, especially during a boring game and I can't easily do it. I dunno, maybe it's my setup but if they start streaming on Saturday or Sunday, I will definitely be out except for my team.
I'm not talking about just watching the game on Prime, but using the extra option there called Prime Vision.  It incorporates stats and different views, reminiscent of football video games.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1074 on: October 14, 2022, 08:53:03 AM »
Don Gullett?!  That's a next level pull!  Also, his number don't bear that out, even if you extrapolate over a 20 year career.

Certainly not the strikeouts; I'll give you that, he wasn't an overpowering pitcher.  But he won over 75% of his games in that four year run where the Reds and Yankees won four straight championships between them (Gullett was on all four teams).  You extrapolate that out over 12 more years and there you go.  But this is precisely my point; he DIDN'T.  He slipped on a wet mound early in his Yankee career, spraining his ankle and straining his neck.  He was never really the same and after the next season, retired at age 27 with chronic shoulder problems.  Because man plans and God laughs.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1075 on: October 14, 2022, 09:00:35 AM »

I'm not talking about just watching the game on Prime, but using the extra option there called Prime Vision.  It incorporates stats and different views, reminiscent of football video games.

I didn't know that.  I'll check it out next week.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 09:48:08 AM by kingshmegland »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1076 on: October 14, 2022, 09:36:10 AM »

I'd actually be all for watching the game in an All 22 format. Seems like they'd go overboard with the graphics, though. Clearly they're trying to make it look like Madden to draw the kids into it more. Honestly, give me an All 22 view, with closeups for the replays, and give me a proper stadium announcer, and I'd dig the shit out of it.

Sadly, stadium announcers have become the worst part of the game. I can't not hear that idiot in LA calling Rams games and he annoys me to know end.
E.F. Benson

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1077 on: October 14, 2022, 09:43:42 AM »

I'd actually be all for watching the game in an All 22 format. Seems like they'd go overboard with the graphics, though. Clearly they're trying to make it look like Madden to draw the kids into it more. Honestly, give me an All 22 view, with closeups for the replays, and give me a proper stadium announcer, and I'd dig the shit out of it.

Sadly, stadium announcers have become the worst part of the game. I can't not hear that idiot in LA calling Rams games and he annoys me to know end.

That and if you're going to stream then it takes up a bunch more bandwidth if you're going to show the crowd in the background. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1078 on: October 14, 2022, 10:07:58 AM »

I saw something that said he actually might have a case, but I really hope not.  If that guy gets anything other than a fine it sets a bad precedent.  I feel like there's already so many more incidents these days of people running onto the fields of various sports.  I may be wrong, it just seems like this wasn't so common.

There is less than zero chance of any criminal prosecution.  He can make all the police reports he wants, but there's no way that the cops will make an arrest or the DA will file charges (although it's the SF Bay area, so never say never, I guess).

On the other hand, he's got enough that he might be able to get a nuisance settlement if he files a civil lawsuit.  There's no question that the player committed battery under CPC 242, so it's just a matter of whether the player (whose job isn't to apprehend trespassers) had a justification to do it, and the argument will be that he used more than reasonable force.  He's likely got enough to get past a summary judgment, which means a cost of defense settlement probably gets put on the table.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1079 on: October 14, 2022, 10:19:41 AM »
Oh - and little Danny Snyder?

I'm looking forward to this!  :corn

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1080 on: October 14, 2022, 10:38:39 AM »
The Washington Whatevers sure pulled one outta their butt...oh wait...the Bears actually pulled it out and handed it over.  Hey Snyder, you might want to wash that first.  Nothing like watching two horrible teams doing everything in their power to lose the game.

I feel sorry for Al Michaels.  He's in the twilight of his career and gets demoted to the basement of primetime play calling.  He deserves better than that.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1081 on: October 14, 2022, 11:04:04 AM »

I feel sorry for Al Michaels.  He's in the twilight of his career and gets demoted to the basement of primetime play calling.  He deserves better than that.
Demoted? Pretty sure he just went where he was offered the most. Same with Troy, and at the end of the day Troy will have it far, far worse.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1082 on: October 14, 2022, 12:01:12 PM »

I'm no Daniel Snyder fan - except when my team is playing his inevitably shitty team - and I certainly don't condone any bad behavior he might have done, but the notion of forcing someone to sell their asset like that because you don't like them is inherently uncomfortable for me.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1083 on: October 14, 2022, 12:47:55 PM »

I'm no Daniel Snyder fan - except when my team is playing his inevitably shitty team - and I certainly don't condone any bad behavior he might have done, but the notion of forcing someone to sell their asset like that because you don't like them is inherently uncomfortable for me.
I agree. At the same time, forcing somebody to sell their assets because they're a detriment to the cartel doesn't. After all, it's not the league who's forcing him out, Goodell seems to be backing him on this, but rather the other 31 owners.

Also, I suppose they'd probably be fine with him putting the team into a trust so that he has no strings to pull.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1084 on: October 14, 2022, 12:53:04 PM »
He also has destroyed their brand.  Remember how revered that Franchise was?  Ever since he bought the team it's been scandal after scandal.