Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 102953 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 2022 NFL Thread
« Reply #490 on: August 22, 2022, 07:49:20 AM »
I'm missing something on Jimmy G.  Why he's not a more desired commodity is beyond me.  I guess this is why I'm sitting in my living room on Sunday and not in the Executive Box, but I think he's a top tier - not "elite", but top tier - quarterback who can take a team to the Super Bowl.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #491 on: August 22, 2022, 09:54:11 AM »
I'm missing something on Jimmy G.  Why he's not a more desired commodity is beyond me.  I guess this is why I'm sitting in my living room on Sunday and not in the Executive Box, but I think he's a top tier - not "elite", but top tier - quarterback who can take a team to the Super Bowl.

Couldn't agree more!

He could instantly step in and take the right team to the playoffs but I heard that Trey Lance has not looked good in training camp. The Niners could be forced to keep Jimmy G.

On a side note, I heard an interview with Mike McDaniel a couple of weeks ago and when asked if Trey Lance was ready to take over the team, he went through a 2min "him-haw" before punting that 'he shouldn't comment on other team's players'. Interesting............

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #492 on: August 22, 2022, 08:32:58 PM »

It was (maybe still is) a big conversation here in SEA, with animated callers in to local sports talk radio on both sides, either saying we are idiots for not trying to bring in a guy who is miles better than the two we have (Drew Locke and Gino Smith), or saying there's no way they want this bum on our team. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #493 on: August 22, 2022, 08:43:13 PM »

Me thinks you have blind spot when reading this post, sir. :)

Jimmy G isn't top tier or even close really, but he is not as bad as some think he is. I think he is an average starting QB, and there are teams that would die for an average starting QB right now.  As a Broncos fan, I was begging for one from 2016-2021. lol

It does sound like Trey Lance has bust written all over him, so the 49ers could find themselves in no-man's land here sooner than they think with a Super Bowl team and the wrong QB.  Not saying Jimmy G was the absolute right QB, but the 49ers record with him vs without him under Shanahan is significant.  Maybe that says a lot about how bad the backups have been, but when Jimmy G starts for them, they win a lot of games, even when he isn't that great (see: his playoff record which is good, despite him having awful playoff numbers himself).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #494 on: August 23, 2022, 04:39:58 AM »
Jimmy G's weakness is his inability to stay on the field.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #495 on: August 23, 2022, 08:07:50 AM »
This, and questions about his toughness. The latter may very well be what keeps him out of the top tier. You've got to have a determination to win no matter what, and I'm not sure he's sporting such an attitude.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Skeever

« Reply #496 on: August 23, 2022, 08:58:19 AM »
Mariota looked great, albeit against the Jet's 2nd string. Mike White looked like total garbage. I know he had that HOF-worthy statistical anomaly of a game last year, but the dude just does not seem like someone who belongs on an NFL roster.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #497 on: August 23, 2022, 09:08:31 AM »
This, and questions about his toughness. The latter may very well be what keeps him out of the top tier. You've got to have a determination to win no matter what, and I'm not sure he's sporting such an attitude.
In addition, I have heard rumblings about him being out of touch if not at a regularly scheduled team function.  Several of his teammates and coaches have apparently said things like "I never know where he is, he won't return my texts/calls" or whatever.  Not sure how much he is EXPECTED to be available, but it's certainly not a huge mark of leadership if he ghosts everyone like this.  And word gets around to other teams.  It could play into other teams not trying very hard to get him.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #498 on: August 23, 2022, 09:22:48 AM »
In addition, I have heard rumblings about him being out of touch if not at a regularly scheduled team function.  Several of his teammates and coaches have apparently said things like "I never know where he is, he won't return my texts/calls" or whatever.  Not sure how much he is EXPECTED to be available, but it's certainly not a huge mark of leadership if he ghosts everyone like this.  And word gets around to other teams.  It could play into other teams not trying very hard to get him.

Maybe he is quiet quitting the 49ers.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #499 on: August 23, 2022, 09:24:38 AM »

lol maybe
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #500 on: August 23, 2022, 09:28:58 AM »
They have done nothing but jerk him around.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #501 on: August 23, 2022, 09:37:54 AM »
Yeah, in NE the questions were about his toughness. I don't think availability or checking out were ever an issue. Once SF made it spectacularly clear that they were done with him I could certainly see him half-assing it outside of game days.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: August 23, 2022, 09:53:22 AM »
No. There is a story about his availability El Barto in N.E.  When Brady was suspended for the 4 games, he got hurt in the second game.  He was supposed to start the 4th game but backed out the last minute.  Brissett had to play injured that game and they got blown out.

Teammates years later talked about it.

https://fansided.com/2022/06/27/julian-edelman-rips-jimmy-garoppolo/

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #503 on: August 23, 2022, 10:00:00 AM »
No. There is a story about his availability El Barto in N.E.  When Brady was suspended for the 4 games, he got hurt in the second game.  He was supposed to start the 4th game but backed out the last minute.  Brissett had to play injured that game and they got blown out.

No, that was the toughness thing. The availability that Hef referred to is a completely different thing. That wasn't injury but indifference. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Skeever

« Reply #504 on: August 23, 2022, 10:16:16 AM »
I would have liked Jimmy G to the Jets if Wilson was down with a longer term injury. And Jimmy G may very well be better than Wilson will turn out to be. I'd also like Jimmy G as a backup much better than Flacco. I'm guessing that the man wants to start somewhere though.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: August 23, 2022, 10:25:52 AM »

Hahahaha
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #506 on: August 23, 2022, 10:27:22 AM »

No, that was the toughness thing. The availability that Hef referred to is a completely different thing. That wasn't injury but indifference.

I get what you are saying but I also look about him telling the team he is available to play then he pulled out last second. As they players said, back out Thursday so the team can prepare. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: August 23, 2022, 11:14:05 AM »
I see that Matt Rhule announced Baker as the starting QB for the Panthers (not that I expected Sam to start) but I can't help but have a complete lack of confidence whenever Matt is talking. He seems like he has no idea what is happening with his team and organization.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #508 on: August 23, 2022, 11:44:56 AM »
I see that Matt Rhule announced Baker as the starting QB for the Panthers (not that I expected Sam to start) but I can't help but have a complete lack of confidence whenever Matt is talking. He seems like he has no idea what is happening with his team and organization.
More truth here than I care for.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: August 23, 2022, 12:21:42 PM »

Me thinks you have blind spot when reading this post, sir. :)

Jimmy G isn't top tier or even close really, but he is not as bad as some think he is. I think he is an average starting QB, and there are teams that would die for an average starting QB right now.  As a Broncos fan, I was begging for one from 2016-2021. lol

It does sound like Trey Lance has bust written all over him, so the 49ers could find themselves in no-man's land here sooner than they think with a Super Bowl team and the wrong QB.  Not saying Jimmy G was the absolute right QB, but the 49ers record with him vs without him under Shanahan is significant.  Maybe that says a lot about how bad the backups have been, but when Jimmy G starts for them, they win a lot of games, even when he isn't that great (see: his playoff record which is good, despite him having awful playoff numbers himself).

Who's better:  Joe Flacco or Jimmy Garoppolo?

I think this fascination in the league with "elite" QBs, or what I call the "NBA QBs" (i.e. walking highlight reels) is ridiculous.  Mahomes has one SB (and one "almost") in the last six years, and Brady has three and one. The other two winning QBs - Foles and what's-his-name-from-Detroit - are more Brady-esque than Mahomes-esque.   This isn't an indictment on Mahomes - he will likely win another at some point - but rather, you have more teams looking for the next Mahomes than you do the next Brady.  That makes zero sense to me.

Jimmy G. is more than capable, more than talented enough to shepherd a team to the Super Bowl, and it awes me that some teams aren't more eager to give that colt a ride.  Okay, that was creepy; but you get what I mean.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #510 on: August 23, 2022, 12:58:42 PM »
Jimmy G is better than Joe Flacco IMO, but you are not going to mess with Zach Wilson like that.

Jimmy G very well may be better than Wilson, but right now Wilson's ceiling is way higher, he's the No. 2 overall pick in his 2nd year, and even though he looked atrocious as a rookie you do not mess him like that by bringing in a legit competitor to the starting role. You go with Flacco, someone who does not challenge Wilson as the long-term solution.

If Wilson goes down for the year, it's a different story. At that point, I think you bring in Jimmy G. But the Jet's biggest priority at this point is determining whether Zach Wilson is their guy or not. You don't even entertain another QB option until you know the answer to that question.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #511 on: August 23, 2022, 06:12:00 PM »

Right now?  Jimmy, of course.  Not sure why that is relevant, however.

I think this fascination in the league with "elite" QBs, or what I call the "NBA QBs" (i.e. walking highlight reels) is ridiculous.  Mahomes has one SB (and one "almost") in the last six years, and Brady has three and one. The other two winning QBs - Foles and what's-his-name-from-Detroit - are more Brady-esque than Mahomes-esque.   This isn't an indictment on Mahomes - he will likely win another at some point - but rather, you have more teams looking for the next Mahomes than you do the next Brady.  That makes zero sense to me.

Jimmy G. is more than capable, more than talented enough to shepherd a team to the Super Bowl, and it awes me that some teams aren't more eager to give that colt a ride.  Okay, that was creepy; but you get what I mean.

It makes total sense because raw talent, especially in college, is usually far more easy to spot than intangibles.  If the opposite were true, Tom Brady wouldn't have dropped to the 6th round.  You go for the guys whose talent jumps off the screen, and do so in the hopes that the intangibles are there as well.  If you take a guy with Brady's raw talent, which has never been anything special, the intangibles have to be off the charts for them to be a big star.  Brady's ability to read defenses quickly and his work ethic is why he is Tom Brady, not because of his raw talent.

Back to Jimmy G, if what you said there was true, teams would be tripping over themselves to trade for him, especially since he has no off the field baggage, but since they are not, I have to think that teams know more than we do.  Jimmy is a guy you can win with, but he will rarely be the reason why you win.  There are not many QBs in the league we can say that about, and Jimmy is not one of them, IMO.  :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #512 on: August 23, 2022, 06:21:43 PM »
Do you think SF is leaking info because they can't trade him?  His salary is too high for him not being able to stay on the field.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #513 on: August 23, 2022, 06:26:06 PM »
Given the reports of how bad Trey Lance has looked this summer, a part of me thinks that the 49ers are holding on to Jimmy because they think they may need him.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: August 23, 2022, 06:29:43 PM »
Them treating him by not practicing with the team seems a poor choice in case they need him. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #515 on: August 24, 2022, 06:56:59 AM »

Right now?  Jimmy, of course.  Not sure why that is relevant, however.

Well, my point was, Flacco led one of the best teams in the league for a decade, by working in the system, staying in his lane and not making egregious mistakes.  I think the fans in Baltimore were quite happy with their team for a number of years, and while I think there is excitement for Lamar Jackson, you'd think with all the hype that there would have been better results.

It makes total sense because raw talent, especially in college, is usually far more easy to spot than intangibles.  If the opposite were true, Tom Brady wouldn't have dropped to the 6th round.  You go for the guys whose talent jumps off the screen, and do so in the hopes that the intangibles are there as well.  If you take a guy with Brady's raw talent, which has never been anything special, the intangibles have to be off the charts for them to be a big star.  Brady's ability to read defenses quickly and his work ethic is why he is Tom Brady, not because of his raw talent.

Back to Jimmy G, if what you said there was true, teams would be tripping over themselves to trade for him, especially since he has no off the field baggage, but since they are not, I have to think that teams know more than we do.  Jimmy is a guy you can win with, but he will rarely be the reason why you win.  There are not many QBs in the league we can say that about, and Jimmy is not one of them, IMO.  :)

Well, I'm with you; that's why I said I must be missing something, because I'm not being paid to evaluate this stuff, they are.  But look, talent isn't enough.  LT was not the greatest physical specimen (though he was better than people give him credit for in that department; he was FAST and he was TOUGH as NAILS) and neither is Brady, but they are respectively, the best in history at their side of the ball.   Jerry Jones in Dallas is about as good as it gets in spotting raw athletic talent, and they are a perennial not-even-close when it comes to the Super Bowl. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #516 on: August 24, 2022, 03:28:10 PM »
I think the problem with Jerry Jones, aside from being a buttinsky who wants a figurehead as a coach rather than someone the players actually respect and "fear" a little, is that he gets too stuck on his players.  Once he drafts someone, they are "his guy," and he is far too willing to overpay him to stay.  Once he falls in love, it is for life.  And that hurts their cap and makes it difficult to bring in free agents who could get them to the next level.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #517 on: August 24, 2022, 03:53:52 PM »
JJ is a fuckin' idiot.  His only language is dollar signs.  Absolutely no knowledge of what it takes to produce a winning team.  Even back in the glory days, it wasn't really him at all.  It was the other JJ.  Once that was over, it definitely was over and has been ever since.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #518 on: August 24, 2022, 04:35:54 PM »
JJ is a fuckin' idiot.  His only language is dollar signs.  Absolutely no knowledge of what it takes to produce a winning team.  Even back in the glory days, it wasn't really him at all.  It was the other JJ.  Once that was over, it definitely was over and has been ever since.

JJ is one of the best owners in football but he sometimes lets the Johnny Walker Blue do the talking. Trust me, he hasn't been involved in player acquisition for at least 15 years or so. Do any of you actually follow the Cowboys like you do Tom Brady?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #519 on: August 24, 2022, 04:41:50 PM »
I think the problem with Jerry Jones, aside from being a buttinsky who wants a figurehead as a coach rather than someone the players actually respect and "fear" a little, is that he gets too stuck on his players.  Once he drafts someone, they are "his guy," and he is far too willing to overpay him to stay.  Once he falls in love, it is for life.  And that hurts their cap and makes it difficult to bring in free agents who could get them to the next level.
I don't really disagree with any of this, but I don't think it's the primary problem. Jerry also has some strengths, first and foremost is that he isn't afraid to spend money. I've always maintained that plenty of teams would love to have somebody like him who can spend money and manage the cap well. I still maintain that where he's failed is establishing a culture. This has simply never been a winning organization since he bought it. Jimmy managed to maintain enough of the Landry era's culture to keep them afloat, but that was over even before he left (look no further than Michael Irvin). It's just eroded ever since. That's why they play in a circus tent rather than a proper stadium. 
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #520 on: August 24, 2022, 08:30:22 PM »
I don't really disagree with any of this, but I don't think it's the primary problem. Jerry also has some strengths, first and foremost is that he isn't afraid to spend money. I've always maintained that plenty of teams would love to have somebody like him who can spend money and manage the cap well. I still maintain that where he's failed is establishing a culture. This has simply never been a winning organization since he bought it. Jimmy managed to maintain enough of the Landry era's culture to keep them afloat, but that was over even before he left (look no further than Michael Irvin). It's just eroded ever since. That's why they play in a circus tent rather than a proper stadium.

I agree with most of this, but I think that goes back to my earlier point a bit.  They have drafted well for years now, yet cannot get over the hump.  Take a guy like Zeke.  He hasn't been worth what they are paying him for a while now, but Jerry paid him and is one of Jerry's loves, so he will keep him around as long as possible, even if means not being able to get other good players to help the team with the cap relief they'd get from cutting an overpriced and past-his-prime RB.

Offline TheRich13

« Reply #521 on: August 24, 2022, 09:11:03 PM »
Looking as if my Dolphins are going nowhere again this year … Mike McDaniel looks like Marc Anthony or a young computer nerd …and his demeanor on the field already looks like Joe Philbin , just standing around … No comparison to a coach like Sean McVey for example who is always involved , cheering , angered , whatever … a football coach ! Dolphins definitely don’t need another unmotivated drip standing on the sideline…
Not to mention I don’t think Tua is anywhere near an elite QB .. They should go for Jimmy G !
Maybe they’ll surprise me but I’m thinking the Bills will take the AFC EAST if not the whole thing !
My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
My Mother irons and my Father steals.
There are more horse’s asses in the world, than there are horses.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #522 on: August 24, 2022, 10:12:36 PM »

I agree with most of this, but I think that goes back to my earlier point a bit.  They have drafted well for years now, yet cannot get over the hump.  Take a guy like Zeke.  He hasn't been worth what they are paying him for a while now, but Jerry paid him and is one of Jerry's loves, so he will keep him around as long as possible, even if means not being able to get other good players to help the team with the cap relief they'd get from cutting an overpriced and past-his-prime RB.
I suspect Zeke will be gone after this year. I think Jerry signed him big partly because he thought he was putting together the next triplets, and partly because Dak was pretty adamant about it. Dak gave him a lot of leverage and he used it. If Zeke has half a brain he'll recognize that he's essentially trying out for his next team right now. If Jerry has half a brain he'll use Pollard to put the iron to Zeke.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #523 on: August 25, 2022, 08:01:42 AM »
LT was not the greatest physical specimen (though he was better than people give him credit for in that department; he was FAST and he was TOUGH as NAILS)
I have no idea what you mean by this.  He wasn't lacking anything as an athlete, certainly not in the same way that Brady was.  He was an All-American in college, and All-World in the pros, mostly because he was a freak with super intensity.  Not sure how much more of a physical specimen he should have been or needed to be.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #524 on: August 25, 2022, 03:13:11 PM »
So now we’re supposed to be drafting QBs with no obvious physical skills but who we suspect “might” become great at reading defenses? Sure. Are they also going to have the greatest defensive mastermind of all time behind them? Because just half of that equation isn’t enough to win Super Bowls.