Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 145216 times)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #665 on: October 25, 2021, 08:43:21 AM »
Interesting streaming figures from Spotify as of today.

The Alien - 1,145,243
Answering The Call - 140,825
Invisible Monster - 634,413
Sleeping Giant - 118,051
Transcending Time - 104,161
Awaken The Master - 143,440
A View From The Top Of The World - 106,009

The casual DT listener is really more into the metal, riff-driven songs.

Taking out the two singles which obviously have an advantage, the rest are all fairly even with ATC and ATM ahead of the rest.  ATC is not what I’d class as one of their most metal, riff driven songs.

I was going to say the same thing. Current sample size renders it virtually impossible to draw any type of conclusion based on those figures when the early releases of The Alien and Invisible Monster are taken into account. Could look at other albums in that way, though. I haven't checked but I'd imagine Erwin's statement would generally hold true.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #666 on: October 25, 2021, 08:50:50 AM »
Later I need to put the whole album on whilst i'm doing something - just to hear it at a decent volume.

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #667 on: October 25, 2021, 08:50:58 AM »
There are so many moments that make me smile on this album it's ridiculous. This album has all the sugar papa likes  :hefdaddy

That false ending on the title track where they bring you back to the madness with what someone called the "James Bond" riff is amazing. Also, loving the song ends in a loopy riff rather than the classic uplifting section you have on Octavarium, COT, and IT.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #668 on: October 25, 2021, 08:52:43 AM »
Will, I have just finished my first two listens of the album, and my overall impression is not that positive.

Of course the level of quality and musicianship is super-high as usual, but I am totally missing the "magic" of the Dream Theater I love.

My favorite songs so far are the two singles (I had not listened to them before today, so they are pretty fresh for me) and The Sleeping Giant; the ATC, TT and ATM are okish, while I found the epic just boring.

The main issues I have with this disc are:
 - JP's background work on the verses; he is basically chugga-chugging all time, he never plays chords, harmony or just keeps silent for a while...
 - JP solos are not memorable at all, none of them.
 - the lack of any real highlight in the whole album (and I am not talking about a full song, there is not even a 2-minutes section that really stands out)
 - the "flatness" of the composition approach; yes, there is TT that is upbeat and major, but all the rest of the album has basically the same flavour
 - the mix: it's true that the drums and bass are great this time, but all the rest is quite muddled for my ears. James in particular is really low and his voice never stands out.

After 2 hours with AVFTTOTW I switched to Breaking all Illusions for just a couple of minutes, and it was a musical relief..

I am sorry to say that, but the new album is well below my expectations (same as D/T).

Hope it will get better with time, but I feel like I'm not going back to it many more times...

:sad:

I don't think you will either if it doesn't meet your expectations you set for a new Dream Theater music. What exactly were you expecting from this new album?

I only ask as I don't have any expectations for new Dream Theater music. If they want to do a poppy song, great for them, if they want to release a true Canadian Rap song, I'll be there for that.

For myself, I am just along for the ride on the Dream Theater train of thought of music.

I was probably totally misled by the album cover and title (silly mistake!) and by LTE3 and TV.
I was expecting a "brighter" album, with more space for melody and "major" music...more elements from the "pop" side of Dream Theater.
It is actually one of the darkest and heaviest albums ever, with very little space for anything else.

As mentioned above, it is high quality music, but this side of DT is probably not my cup of tea..

Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #669 on: October 25, 2021, 08:55:21 AM »
There are a lot of moments where the band just kind of lets loose in a way that they have generally avoided lately, and I love that!

Yep. i think that's the main reason i enjoyed this album much more than some of their latest.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #670 on: October 25, 2021, 08:55:34 AM »
I don't think FII was a great performance if I rank it against other albums.

I wouldn't put it as high as Images, Scenes, Awake or The Astonishing (which, to me, is easily his best overall performance of the last 15+ years), but FII was still JLB in his prime, despite the food poisoning incident.  The fact that he still did such a great job on both A Change of Seasons (for the EP) and FII is a major credit to him.

I just don't think much of FII on the whole.

Hell yes, he's great on The Astonishing.

My usual complaint about every DT album is the fact that I consider James to be underutilized. I feel that way about the new album as well.

He's fucking nails on the BC&SL covers disc. If only they could've written those vocals into the album proper.

I noted above that I still have to listen to the new album, and I will (I'm excited to do so) but there seems to be a theme here.  I don't know if this is the thread to bring it up, but does that "underutilization" have to do with the methods and processes for recording?  How does the writing actually happen to get to that point?

I have no problem with the effects on the vocals. I think they add to the songs and are there to add effect.  :biggrin:

I myself am accepting that this is just how JLB is choosing to sing with Dream Theater, and it's likely to do with being concerned about singing not only these songs, but will be be able to sing the next song, or sing a new album song after an intense vocal song. He needs his rest as a vocalist as well and it needs more to heal the more you age. Look at Geddy Lee's vocals, they also toured long tours and had long nights and it shows in the tour releases.

This is something I think about a lot—I LOVE "Snakes & Arrows" and "Clockwork Angels," and I think Geddy's gracefully aged vocals have a lot to do with that. He clearly has limited range when compared to the mid-70s, but as with Robert Plant, I don't think that diminishes anything. In fact, I think his continued progression as a vocalist is something that's often overlooked. James has, in his own way, done the same thing.

The screams and wails are no longer there, but man oh man does his voice sound rich and full on this new album. It's simply a pleasure to listen to. The whole middle part in the title track gives me the same sort of goosebumps that the middle section of Voices used to, and in that way, he hasn't lost a step.

Also, James is still going strong as my favorite lyricist ;D

I think that middle part on the title track is the best vocal part of the album and maybe my favorite part of the album.  James sounds really great there as does the band.   Gives an ACOS vibe to me.     

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #671 on: October 25, 2021, 09:04:12 AM »
The album is lacking a proper ballad

In my case, i was relieved that for once, there wasn't a proper ballad in a DT album. I'm not a fan of their latest ballads (at least, since Systematic Chaos). They always feel like filler songs to me.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #672 on: October 25, 2021, 09:10:39 AM »
Interesting streaming figures from Spotify as of today.

The Alien - 1,145,243
Answering The Call - 140,825
Invisible Monster - 634,413
Sleeping Giant - 118,051
Transcending Time - 104,161
Awaken The Master - 143,440
A View From The Top Of The World - 106,009

The casual DT listener is really more into the metal, riff-driven songs.

Taking out the two singles which obviously have an advantage, the rest are all fairly even with ATC and ATM ahead of the rest.  ATC is not what I’d class as one of their most metal, riff driven songs.

I was going to say the same thing. Current sample size renders it virtually impossible to draw any type of conclusion based on those figures when the early releases of The Alien and Invisible Monster are taken into account. Could look at other albums in that way, though. I haven't checked but I'd imagine Erwin's statement would generally hold true.

When I made my comment, I did not take The Alien and Invisible Monster into consideration. I was instead looking at Awaken The Master and Answering The Call which are metal tunes compared to the proggy AOR Transcending Time which has the lowest number of streams. I was actually surprised that the epic has more streams than Transcending Time.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #673 on: October 25, 2021, 09:13:06 AM »

In my case, i was relieved that for once, there wasn't a proper ballad in a DT album. I'm not a fan of their latest ballads (at least, since Systematic Chaos). They always feel like filler songs to me.

Same here. I can't remember the last ballad of theirs that I really liked.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #674 on: October 25, 2021, 09:26:58 AM »

Copy that. DT albums have been lacking a proper ballad since Vacant. They can skip those as far as I’m concerned. They introduce nothing new, usually have uninteresting lyrics and are all variations of the ‘piano with soft vocals’ thing that they already perfected on Disappear. Sorry for the possible hot take. Far From Heaven was alright, I guess.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline RAIN

« Reply #675 on: October 25, 2021, 09:27:29 AM »
This album is pretty phenomenal, IMO.
Answering the Call is my abosolute fav, sounds so AWAKEy to me.  And Sleeping Giant second fav.
TT is good, but for some reason I feel like it doesn't fit the rest of the songs at all.
And the title track...it's good, but it feels very disjointed to me.   

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #676 on: October 25, 2021, 09:30:52 AM »

Copy that. DT albums have been lacking a proper ballad since Vacant. They can skip those as far as I’m concerned. They introduce nothing new, usually have uninteresting lyrics and are all variations of the ‘piano with soft vocals’ thing that they already perfected on Disappear. Sorry for the possible hot take. Far From Heaven was alright, I guess.

Chosen is the latest ballad that I liked. Disappear indeed is the best of these ballads.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: October 25, 2021, 09:32:51 AM »
This Is The Life.  :tup

The Answer  :tup

Lots of The Astonishing actually.

The ballads I don't like are the ones that everyone else seems to LOVE like Breaking All Illusions and Along For The Ride.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #678 on: October 25, 2021, 09:35:25 AM »
Breaking All Illusions is a ballad? :p

Offline darkshade

« Reply #679 on: October 25, 2021, 10:07:52 AM »
I had low expectations. It's still in the lower tier of DT albums for me so far, but it might be the best of the lower tier DT albums (ADTOE/FII/SC/DOT/WDaDU/DT12/TA)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #680 on: October 25, 2021, 10:25:16 AM »
Marc, that's a heck of a collection, very nice! When I've collected all the vinyl available (still need Marquee, Images & Words and Octavarium), I consider buying those artbooks as well. They look beautiful, I have Luna Park already. But only Distance Over Time, Distant Memories and a View are available right, at this point? Is there any box / book available of Chaos in Motion or Breaking the Fourth Wall?

Thanks!  :tup it's been a bit of a pricey one to get, but I love them all! I almost didn't think I'd be able to afford the new one but I managed!

As far as artbooks ago, Live At Luna Park and Distant Memories each have one, as do the two latest studio albums, both of which are included within their respective deluxe box sets. And the only albums with box sets like these are the six I have shown in my collection picture.

As for CIM and BTFW, the former has a 3CD/2DVD digipak and the latter has a 3CD/1BD digipak (with the 2DVD set sold separately in an amaray case).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #681 on: October 25, 2021, 10:32:32 AM »
Listened to the title track again… it’s really good but not spectacular.  I do really like it though.

I wish Jordan’s soundscapes were a little louder throughout the album, it would give it less of a sameness vibe, and I wish JP used more of a crunchy guitar tone through as well.   Like the beginning of IM and that amazing tone on overture 1928.

Still digging it though… it will be a middle of the pack album which is pretty solid.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #682 on: October 25, 2021, 10:38:39 AM »

it's quite medium/slow paced and is quite light.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #683 on: October 25, 2021, 10:40:21 AM »
Am I crazy or does it seem like the two singles have a more distinguishable sound than the rest of the album?

I feel like the Alien is its own world and IM is its own world and then ATC, SG, TT, ATM, and AVFTTOTW all sort of "Sound" similar.

Maybe its just because those were released separately so my brain hears it differently but thats sort of the vibe I get.

I still like every song but I think that may be the one thing holding this album back IMO.  You could plop me head first into several sections of those 5 songs (maybe outside of TT because of the major key) and I'm not sure I could tell you which song it was.

However, if you plop me into The Alien or IM I think I would know.

Thoughts?

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #684 on: October 25, 2021, 10:42:23 AM »

it's quite medium/slow paced and is quite light.

Sorry BAI is most definitely NOT a ballad. It's an epic so it has slow parts but there's an entire mid section of crazy instrumentals and it starts off with a huge instrumental part.

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #685 on: October 25, 2021, 10:46:59 AM »
Am I crazy or does it seem like the two singles have a more distinguishable sound than the rest of the album?

I feel like the Alien is its own world and IM is its own world and then ATC, SG, TT, ATM, and AVFTTOTW all sort of "Sound" similar.

Maybe its just because those were released separately so my brain hears it differently but thats sort of the vibe I get.

I still like every song but I think that may be the one thing holding this album back IMO.  You could plop me head first into several sections of those 5 songs (maybe outside of TT because of the major key) and I'm not sure I could tell you which song it was.

However, if you plop me into The Alien or IM I think I would know.

Thoughts?

TT aside I can see this. It's more of a feeling for me than "AHA they are playing the same thing". This album has a clear sound very unique to it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #686 on: October 25, 2021, 10:48:05 AM »

I know *SOMETIMES* when albums are mixed - they decide which songs will be the singles and then master those first to get them ready . Then do the rest of the album...

MAYBE they mastered them ever so slightly different ? I dunno. Or do you mean they have a different VIBE ?

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #687 on: October 25, 2021, 10:55:20 AM »

I know *SOMETIMES* when albums are mixed - they decide which songs will be the singles and then master those first to get them ready . Then do the rest of the album...

MAYBE they mastered them ever so slightly different ? I dunno. Or do you mean they have a different VIBE ?

To me they sound more distinguishable from the rest of the album.  Not sure if that’s just a writing thing or something to do with the mastering of mixing or production.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #688 on: October 25, 2021, 11:01:28 AM »
First of all, a big FU to Century Media. I'm still waiting for my artbook while it seems that almost everybody that ordered it from a 3rd party seller got it a week ago. I typically like to sit down with the lyrics and the art to let myself absorb it but I settled for the free download that came with my non-existent album. Nevertheless, I've had some time to digest it and I think I'm sold!

I peg this album as the most mainstream sounding album they can manage while still remaining apologetically prog-metal.

Here's my breakdown:

The Alien - On my first listen I felt like DT just wanted to throw everything at the wall and I wasn't sure if I could get into the flow. It didn't take too long for it to click with me. I love the subject. Kind of out of left field to be honest but a lot of this album is. I generally like this song better than I do most lead singles but it's not my favorite. It has a mini epic vibe and in some ways sounds kind of reminiscent of the structure of other epics, albeit shrunk. I'm ok with that.

Answer the Call - Whoa. First of all I'm ecstatic that James has contributed a second set of lyrics and I feel that this might be his finest contribution. From the get go this song shows that DT is going to experiment with lots of different vibes and by the end of the album I felt it paid off in dividends. The intro and outro of this song is so....cool....and unusual. Very cool of James to go from an otherworldly subject to a universal anthemic theme. Speaking of which, there really aren't any "holy shit" moments from James. A lot has been said about his vocal limitations but I think he compensates for that by some pretty cool and catchy vocal melodies.

Invisible Monster - Honestly this is the perfect mid-tempo song. Despite being different from a lot of the rest of the album I really feel like this fits perfectly. Some really haunting melodies here which they introduce in other songs too.

Sleeping Giant - I need some more time to digest this but I feel that this also falls into the perfect mini-epic category. Kind of cool to have a song similar to A Nightmare to Remember in length and epicness, but having the lyrics to actually match the mood.

Transcending Time - Without a doubt, the low point of this album. In fact, I don't think it fits with the rest of the songs. There's nothing "wrong" with this song and it is quite good, but I'm getting a bit tired of their Rush tributes.

Awaken the Master - Dude, this....is....AWESOME. I was psyched to hear some JM lyrics and being cognizant of how he writes them, more in poetic form where others need to work to get them to fit, I felt the first few lines were kind of, I don't know, off putting? Yet as the vocals continue, they start to blend easier, they began to really fit the song, and we get some beautiful harmonies. While the first line was just James sing somewhat plainly, the flow of the lyrics and the harmonies really build in an awesome way. The weird riff about 6 minutes into the song really shows that DT has a lot of fun doing some different stuff without going too far off the path that fans want. Felt the same way about another riff during Answer the Call

A View From the Top of the World - Really need to digest this one more but it may end up being my favorite epic. I was a bit let down by similarities to the "structure" of Illumination Theory at points (oh god, should I delete that comment? I Really don't want this to turn into another "structure" debate  :lol). It was different enough to not detract but after 10 minutes having a really mellow moment was just too reminiscent for me and kind of killed the momentum. I loved that in IT though and I think I'll get over it with this one especially since they reintroduce more haunting melodies. I mean, the section after this is HAUNTING as hell. Holy crap. In fact, just typing it out, I think I am over it.

Final verdict: A Dramatic Turn of Events is one of my three favorite albums along with Distance Over Time. Because of my generally tepid feelings about Transcending Time, I don't think this album will match those....but just barely.

BTW, did I mention FU to Century Media?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #689 on: October 25, 2021, 11:14:03 AM »
Marc, that's a heck of a collection, very nice! When I've collected all the vinyl available (still need Marquee, Images & Words and Octavarium), I consider buying those artbooks as well. They look beautiful, I have Luna Park already. But only Distance Over Time, Distant Memories and a View are available right, at this point? Is there any box / book available of Chaos in Motion or Breaking the Fourth Wall?

Thanks!  :tup it's been a bit of a pricey one to get, but I love them all! I almost didn't think I'd be able to afford the new one but I managed!

As far as artbooks ago, Live At Luna Park and Distant Memories each have one, as do the two latest studio albums, both of which are included within their respective deluxe box sets. And the only albums with box sets like these are the six I have shown in my collection picture.

As for CIM and BTFW, the former has a 3CD/2DVD digipak and the latter has a 3CD/1BD digipak (with the 2DVD set sold separately in an amaray case).

-Marc.

If anyone knows anyone with the 3CD/Blu-ray version of BTFW that they might want to part with (without costing an arm and a leg) feel free to send them my way!   :) :)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #690 on: October 25, 2021, 11:20:29 AM »
If anyone knows anyone with the 3CD/Blu-ray version of BTFW that they might want to part with (without costing an arm and a leg) feel free to send them my way!   :) :)
Mine met its demise during one of the Summer 2015 concerts when I stored it in my bag with an incorrectly sealed bottle of water. Right as I gotin front of JR after the concert I moved to take it out of my bag, just to find it mostly reduced to mush.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline faizoff

« Reply #691 on: October 25, 2021, 11:23:59 AM »

-Marc.

I've been looking for that edition as well, I check discogs time to time but the prices are kinda whack when they become available.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Art

« Reply #692 on: October 25, 2021, 11:52:17 AM »
Gave the album 2 listens during the weekend. It's good, I pretty much liked all the songs, nothing really stood out yet. First impression is it could be my favorite MM era album, but I also thought this of DoT on release, but did not went back to that album. Time will tell.

Offline genome

« Reply #693 on: October 25, 2021, 11:53:14 AM »
I keep laughing at the contrast between the lovely piano part at the end of Transcending Time and the start of Awaken the Master  :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #694 on: October 25, 2021, 12:05:03 PM »
First of all, a big FU to Century Media. I'm still waiting for my artbook while it seems that almost everybody that ordered it from a 3rd party seller got it a week ago. I typically like to sit down with the lyrics and the art to let myself absorb it but I settled for the free download that came with my non-existent album. Nevertheless, I've had some time to digest it and I think I'm sold!

BTW, did I mention FU to Century Media?!

I haven't even gotten a confirmation email that it shipped. All I got was the download.  >:(

But, I knew what I signed up for by ordering from Century Media.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #695 on: October 25, 2021, 12:12:21 PM »

I have the DVD, if interested let me know. You can send me a PM.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #696 on: October 25, 2021, 12:13:55 PM »
I wish Jordan’s soundscapes were a little louder throughout the album, it would give it less of a sameness vibe, and I wish JP used more of a crunchy guitar tone through as well.   Like the beginning of IM and that amazing tone on overture 1928.

I think that the album sounds spectacular but if I had to make a criticism, this would be it. I would love to hear the keyboards more. In fairness, I think that this has long been an issue with their album mixes. I'll always remember listening to I Walk Beside You on Score for the first time and being like, "Jordan's piano sounds amazing!" I could barely hear it on the album version. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #697 on: October 25, 2021, 12:14:02 PM »
In a weird place with this one atm. After first and second listens I was all "great!". The sound and energy really hit me.

A couple more days in and I still love the sound, and there's lots of great bits but ... I'm struggling to connect with any of the songs in any kind of strong way. I might put it away and come back to it.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: October 25, 2021, 12:16:11 PM »

To me they sound more distinguishable from the rest of the album.  Not sure if that’s just a writing thing or something to do with the mastering of mixing or production.

I do know The Alien was the first song written...

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #699 on: October 25, 2021, 12:28:38 PM »
Thanks Marc, figured so. Too bad actually, there might not be enough artbooks in this world. But sooner or later I'll get my share on this.  ;)
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...