Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 145209 times)

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #595 on: October 24, 2021, 05:57:55 PM »
Do you guys notice James sounds young in this album? I mean he is almost 60 but sounds like 30-40. (Not that his prime time power, just sound.)
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #596 on: October 24, 2021, 06:03:57 PM »
How does Answering the Call in any way sound like These Walls?

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #597 on: October 24, 2021, 06:14:28 PM »
Do you guys notice James sounds young in this album? I mean he is almost 60 but sounds like 30-40. (Not that his prime time power, just sound.)

Yeah, I said that too a few pages back.  His voice still has a very youthful quality, he doesn’t sound like a guy pushing 60, his voice is still very pure and smooth.  Obviously he’s not youthful in the sense of going for crazy high notes that he did in his early years but he still sounds young.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #598 on: October 24, 2021, 06:14:52 PM »
Is this DT's most melodic album ever? I think it might be, other than I&W. I've always felt the one thing DT was missing was MELODY. This album has a lot of it -- JR summed it up perfectly in the doc, it's a blend of heavy, virtuosity, melody, etc -- all the best elements

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #599 on: October 24, 2021, 06:15:49 PM »
Regarding the solo in TT, I don’t really have a problem with the shredding solo so much, it’s the riff behind it.  The song is is this happy song in a major key and then, for the solo section, he suddenly goes into this dirge sounding, generic, circular riff that DT have used a million times.  It just doesn’t fit the song at all imo.  Other than that though, I think he has some really nice solos on the record.

Yeah that’s the whole problem with it… cookie cutter riff out of nowhere and a cookie cutter shredding solo on top of it.   Rather than a musical movement keeping the vibe of the song in a major key.

Offline GARBANZO

« Reply #600 on: October 24, 2021, 06:21:03 PM »
It is difficult to listen to a DT album without remembering the masterpieces they have made. I think that since the SC they have lost the ability to make memorable albums.

I think this is an inconsistent album, especially because of the vocal melodies and the excessive amount of notes without musical sense.

My favorite songs on this album are: A View from the Top of the World, Answering the Call and Awaken the Master. The rest seems very "forced" to me. I don't think it's DT's worst album anyway.

In any case I'am grateful that Petrucci has begun to abandon the Disney movie tunes that he composed for The Astonishing and the DOT.

Which albums are 'memorable' to you? Also, it's a bit ironic when you compare your favorites with your criticism of excessive notes.

For me all albums was memorable until SFAM (For me a memorable album is when all the songs are excellent, from SDOIT they allowed themselves to make songs that are not spectacular).

I agree, those songs (my favs) contain many notes but with more musical sense than the rest. In the end I think it is a problem of quality rather than quantity.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #601 on: October 24, 2021, 06:26:59 PM »
It is difficult to listen to a DT album without remembering the masterpieces they have made. I think that since the SC they have lost the ability to make memorable albums.

I think this is an inconsistent album, especially because of the vocal melodies and the excessive amount of notes without musical sense.

My favorite songs on this album are: A View from the Top of the World, Answering the Call and Awaken the Master. The rest seems very "forced" to me. I don't think it's DT's worst album anyway.

In any case I'am grateful that Petrucci has begun to abandon the Disney movie tunes that he composed for The Astonishing and the DOT.

Which albums are 'memorable' to you? Also, it's a bit ironic when you compare your favorites with your criticism of excessive notes.

For me all albums was memorable until SFAM (For me a memorable album is when all the songs are excellent, from SDOIT they allowed themselves to make songs that are not spectacular).

I agree, those songs (my favs) contain many notes but with more musical sense than the rest. In the end I think it is a problem of quality rather than quantity.

In your initial post you said they'd lost that ability since SC. Did you mean that SDOIT wasn't memorable but 8VM and/or SC was?

Offline LKap13

« Reply #602 on: October 24, 2021, 06:34:59 PM »

Btw weird observation -- this album sounds better on my cheap sony behind the ear headphones than with my 99 Classic over the ear expensive headphones. For those not enjoying the album, consider listening (spotify or qobuz hi res, whatever) with cheaper headphones! I don't know why this is, but the sound comes through better, and sublime

Offline nick_z

« Reply #603 on: October 24, 2021, 06:45:50 PM »

I wouldn't say it sounds like it...it's more the type of song, I guess. Catchy, heavy-ish riff, nice melodies (I know, this is probably a description that applies to most songs here  :biggrin:). Maybe it's the main riff and the way Jordan's keys weave around it that made me think of it first. Or maybe I'm not making any sense  ;)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 06:52:27 PM by nick_z »

Offline GARBANZO

« Reply #604 on: October 24, 2021, 06:52:00 PM »

In your initial post you said they'd lost that ability since SC. Did you mean that SDOIT wasn't memorable but 8VM and/or SC was?

Since SDOIT they made some albums with good songs but I don't think they have made any album that could be considered a masterpiece. I think SC was a time of notorious creative decline.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #605 on: October 24, 2021, 07:05:01 PM »
I agree with JP that IM is one of the best songs on the album and the guitar solo is so freaking catchy. Also, I think JLB sounds incredible on the entire album and this may be his best work ever. I’m curious where the next album can even go from here. They raised the bar quite high for themselves.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #606 on: October 24, 2021, 07:09:11 PM »
I agree with JP that IM is one of the best songs on the album and the guitar solo is so freaking catchy. Also, I think JLB sounds incredible on the entire album and this may be his best work ever. I’m curious where the next album can even go from here. They raised the bar quite high for themselves.

Interesting. I don't know if I'm quite there. But I appreciate the sentiment for sure.

Like, I consider Systematic Chaos one of his all time best performances, and I frankly blame the band for not asking more of him from album to album.

Just listen to The Astonishing, or even the BC&SL covers disc, especially the BC&SL covers disc. He can do way more than he's being asked to.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LKap13

« Reply #607 on: October 24, 2021, 07:13:55 PM »
I agree with Glasser about jlb. Not about IM though

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #608 on: October 24, 2021, 07:15:57 PM »

Yeah, I said that too a few pages back.  His voice still has a very youthful quality, he doesn’t sound like a guy pushing 60, his voice is still very pure and smooth.  Obviously he’s not youthful in the sense of going for crazy high notes that he did in his early years but he still sounds young.

Agreed and this is why I don't need to hear him try to do crazy high notes anymore. His regular singing voice is pleasant enough. He just sounds plain good on the album. But I do get the criticism about the vocals melodies being kinda generic.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #609 on: October 24, 2021, 07:30:51 PM »

Interesting. I don't know if I'm quite there. But I appreciate the sentiment for sure.

Like, I consider Systematic Chaos one of his all time best performances, and I frankly blame the band for not asking more of him from album to album.

Just listen to The Astonishing, or even the BC&SL covers disc, especially the BC&SL covers disc. He can do way more than he's being asked to.

Pretty amazing because I think systematic chaos is Labrie at his absolute worst.  Mainly because the production of the vocals is so thin and metallic.   There’s not a single song I enjoy his vocals on there.

Taste is an amazing thing…I think James is at his absolute best on FII and SDOIT. 

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #610 on: October 24, 2021, 07:35:32 PM »

I just don’t understand this commentary at all.  He’s pushing 60… it’s clear his vocals aren’t what they used to be.   What was it about his performances on I&W, FII, and six degrees that you think isn’t as good as the new one?   

You’re welcome to you’re opinion but it’s just so far from mine that it’s tough to understand. Open to discussion on it.

I think James does a fine job for a 60 year old man here and doesn’t detract from album but his best performance ever?  That’s obviously an extreme outlier comment so I’m curious to hear your thoughts. Less so on why his performance is good here and moreso why it’s better than the preceding 13 albums including several in the prime of his vocal life.

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #611 on: October 24, 2021, 07:36:42 PM »

I can't really say how, but it does remind me a lot!! Maybe the end with the very present orchestral sound and heavy guitars. The heavy groove between guitars and drums on the intro and instrumentals, idk

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #612 on: October 24, 2021, 07:38:31 PM »
Answering The Walls?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #613 on: October 24, 2021, 07:55:53 PM »

I just don’t understand this commentary at all.  He’s pushing 60… it’s clear his vocals aren’t what they used to be.   What was it about his performances on I&W, FII, and six degrees that you think isn’t as good as the new one?   

You’re welcome to you’re opinion but it’s just so far from mine that it’s tough to understand. Open to discussion on it.

I think James does a fine job for a 60 year old man here and doesn’t detract from album but his best performance ever?  That’s obviously an extreme outlier comment so I’m curious to hear your thoughts. Less so on why his performance is good here and moreso why it’s better than the preceding 13 albums including several in the prime of his vocal life.

Being a lifelong fan and hearing each album as they were released I just hear a maturity in his tone as well as the melodies he wrote. I think his early stuff is amazing obviously but all these years later he mastered and fine tuned his craft. There is just something about his vocal delivery on View that sounds more dynamic than ever. There’s a confidence in his delivery and phrasing as well that doesn’t sound forced or derivative from his past work. The fact that he’s taking care of his voice really shows up here. With his age came experience and growth. But this is only what my ears hear. I respect your opinion of course :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 08:06:47 PM by Glasser »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #614 on: October 24, 2021, 08:08:02 PM »
Well, as a lifelong fan (since 1993, so close enough), I will say that JLB still sounds good in the studio, but nowhere close to as good as he sounded on albums like I&W, Awake, FII, Scenes and 6DOIT.   And he is one of my favorite singers merely off of the strength of how great he sounded back then. YMMV.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #615 on: October 24, 2021, 08:10:56 PM »
I don't think FII was a great performance if I rank it against other albums.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #616 on: October 24, 2021, 08:14:04 PM »

I wouldn't put it as high as Images, Scenes, Awake or The Astonishing (which, to me, is easily his best overall performance of the last 15+ years), but FII was still JLB in his prime, despite the food poisoning incident.  The fact that he still did such a great job on both A Change of Seasons (for the EP) and FII is a major credit to him.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #617 on: October 24, 2021, 08:14:58 PM »
Whether or not you dig JP’s playing on this (and I do understand people saying his solos don’t perhaps stand out here as being especially memorable), to say that someone who clearly cares so much and puts so much effort into every release is “going through the motions” is unfair, I’m sorry.  Music is subjective and I have no problem with people liking something or not liking something but one thing you can never accuse JP of doing is going through the motions from a musical standpoint.

For me personally, I really like his solo in The Alien, which is a really nice soulful one.  I also think IM has a fun little solo and I love his epic melodic stuff in the title track both at the beginning and in the middle.  I still keep drifting off in Sleeping Giant and Awaken The Master so haven’t got to grips with the instrumental sections in those yet.

It's a really good solo.

In fact JP is pretty much in full shredding mode on this album. And with JR's help then it gets even more intense. But some are commenting like the band has never done TOT before. Or like LTE doesn't exist.

I can understand the feeling that the "wankery trade offs" have gone a little too far, but a very expressive part of the nature of this band (especially after JR's entry) is this.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #618 on: October 24, 2021, 08:15:04 PM »

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #619 on: October 24, 2021, 08:15:28 PM »
Anyone notice a pretty much direct reference to ITPOE PT2 at the 1:43 mark on Sleeping Giant with the haunting keyboard section?? 
I also hear it at the very beginning of SG but it's more obvious in the context of the music at 1:43.    :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #620 on: October 24, 2021, 08:18:01 PM »

I wouldn't put it as high as Images, Scenes, Awake or The Astonishing (which, to me, is easily his best overall performance of the last 15+ years), but FII was still JLB in his prime, despite the food poisoning incident.  The fact that he still did such a great job on both A Change of Seasons (for the EP) and FII is a major credit to him.

I just don't think much of FII on the whole.

Hell yes, he's great on The Astonishing.

My usual complaint about every DT album is the fact that I consider James to be underutilized. I feel that way about the new album as well.

He's fucking nails on the BC&SL covers disc. If only they could've written those vocals into the album proper.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #621 on: October 24, 2021, 08:23:23 PM »
FII has a lot of problems but I think James sounds amazing on it.   The bridge on take away my pain is just amazing James.

He sounds solid on this album just nowhere near as good as pre TOT James in my personal opinion.

Compare anything on this album to pretty much all of Change of Seasons and I just don’t see how this is better.   But opinions are just that and I respect them all.  Some are harder to comprehend though haha.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #622 on: October 24, 2021, 08:24:07 PM »
Well, as a lifelong fan (since 1993, so close enough), I will say that JLB still sounds good in the studio, but nowhere close to as good as he sounded on albums like I&W, Awake, FII, Scenes and 6DOIT.   And he is one of my favorite singers merely off of the strength of how great he sounded back then. YMMV.

I respect your opinion. I didn’t say this album shits on every other album as that would flat out be insane. His melodies really hit me on this. I literally feel his emotion all over it like never before. Assuming you heard the Madmen and Sinners album he did a while back, listen to the intro vocals on the epic tune, I connect with his delivery SO much and that was older work. So yes, I love his vocals from day one as well. :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 08:29:52 PM by Glasser »

Offline NoFred

« Reply #623 on: October 24, 2021, 08:26:45 PM »
Someone mentioned a Haken comparison. In the title track at the 7:20 mark Haken would be grinning ear to ear. I love it!!! Haken, especially the first 3 albums are outstanding. I know JP is a huge fan!

Whoa I didn’t get a chance to dig into the songs until just now, yes this is cool as hell… I actually hear The Architect quoted in the opening transition at 7:10, then the Crystallised passage and transition out with Celestial Elixir at 8:40. Nice!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 08:37:57 PM by NoFred »

Offline LKap13

« Reply #624 on: October 24, 2021, 08:35:31 PM »
 :hefdaddy :hefdaddy me every time I listen to this damn album

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #625 on: October 24, 2021, 08:38:22 PM »
I'm with you, man.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: October 24, 2021, 08:43:17 PM »
Second listen and up to the title track.

ATC I'm quite liking.  The melodies are opening up and while it could use more, it's a nice song.

Sleeping Giant honestly is average at very best.  Nothing memorable in that song at all for me.  Don't get it.

TT was lovely and I really liked the overall sound and feel of this one but I'd go as far as saying that the solo section ruins an otherwise good song.  Don't know what the fuck JP was thinking here, a total misses opportunity.

I love the first minute and a half of ATM but then it just bores me.  Similar to Giant, just don't know what I'm missing here.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #627 on: October 24, 2021, 09:11:51 PM »
I'm with you, man.

Yea, I just listened to images and words and I think the new album might be better. Never thought I'd say those words. Okay am I crazy? Lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #628 on: October 24, 2021, 09:14:13 PM »
What are the highlight moments of the album for you?

For me:

1) The end part of The Alien from "I am the Alien" onwards
2) The ending of Answering the Call with Myung's tasty bass and Mangini doing his thing in the snare
3) The music in this part of Invisible Monster
"The serpent inside
Wrapping its tail around my neck
I'm buried alive
Dying to take another breath"
4) The end part of Sleeping Giant starting from the 'Haken, the Mountain' ending of the instrumental onwards. The song takes a 'The Astonishing' turn in "Standing under the eclipse..." then my favorite vocal melody in the whole album "Our desires and ambitions And our need to believe..."
5) When James sings "...like dreaming wide awake!" then the Xanadu guitar comes in
6) Transcending Time starting from "Euphoric obsession, without conscious intention..." onwards. Man, do they know how to end songs in this album.
7) The melodic piano and guitar at the start of Awaken the Master. Too bad they were not able to reprise it.
8) The tense intro to A View From The Top Of The World. Damn those rests and breaks I hope they nail it live.
9) The crazy instrumental in A View where they are "passing around" patterns from one instrument to another making it sound polyrhythmic then culminating in shredding and blast beats.
10) The ending of A View which flies in the face of expectations. Oh you thought we'll go for soaring guitars? You thought Mangini will hit as many toms as possible like the Finally Free ending? We're not!

Offline LKap13

« Reply #629 on: October 24, 2021, 09:20:14 PM »
Yes all of those. Love the choruses of ATC and TT. Love the last run thru in TT "signals in the mist... JR part... Stars in the abyss... JR part" fuckin amazing. The outro of title track is absolutely insane. The Alien I've liked since it dropped as a single. The beginning of title track when it's JM absolutely destroying his bass alongside MM. I even like the instrumental break on the title track and I've found those to be super boring in the past on IT and tcot. The melodies, the time sig changes. The lyrics (other than im) are indirect and good. More that I'm forgetting