Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 149293 times)

Offline Pettor

Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #385 on: October 23, 2021, 07:30:00 AM »
Are snakes clever? 🤔

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #386 on: October 23, 2021, 07:30:09 AM »
Sleeping Giant is killer… and JP slays that instrumental section.   That song is really awesome.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #387 on: October 23, 2021, 08:19:40 AM »
“ like a chicken bomb that doesn’t make a sound “

“ like a backward chicken clock. Held against my will “

😅😅
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 08:25:24 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline LKap13

« Reply #388 on: October 23, 2021, 08:27:32 AM »
This album is fuckin brilliant

Offline JPX

« Reply #389 on: October 23, 2021, 08:30:17 AM »
The Alien 4/10

A disappointing start that offers a few highlights, but as many said when this was released as a single, it’s DT by the numbers.

Answering The Call 6/10

AtC really gave me some hope for the album, it’s nothing new for the band or the genre but it’s got some cool Panic Attack vibes and LaBrie does a great job. Outside of the unison there’s nothing mind blowing, but a solid song.

Invisible Monster 3/10

How many verses are DT going to serve us on this album that sound identical? At least 4 of them seem interchangeable. The pre-chorus has a nice hook but that’s the highlight in this fairly bland single. Not much else to say, I wish they wouldn’t even write songs like these but it’s a been a trend for a while now (Build Me Up Break Me Down, Paralyzed etc)

Sleeping Giant 3/10

The first 6 minutes of this song are perhaps the blandest music Dream Theater has ever written. It finally comes to life at 6:30 but even Jordans SFaM nostalgic ragtime keys can’t salvage it. After a mediocre solo section we’re treated to the unpleasant, jarring chorus once again.

Transcending Time 3/10

The Looking Glass Extra Lite, this is more of Recycle Theater at their best but without the hooks. Johns solos continue to do nothing, probably another reject from Terminal Velocity. I wish they’d built this song around the piano/acoustic motif at 4:55 because it’s far more interesting than anything else that comes before it.

Awaken the Monster 4/10

Ahh the 8 string song we’ve all been waiting for…..except the riffs sound like they were just ripped out of the middle of The Dark Eternal Night. To me as a guitarist this just makes the use of an 8 string seem like a gimmick and John does nothing to put his mark on it. The meat of the song offers up more verses that sound like something we’ve already heard and the chorus is unforgettable. While we’re on the subject of sounding the same, song structure is beginning to be the most unprogressive thing about the band these days. Another unforgettable solo by JP and yep, you guessed it, back into the chorus before we end.

A View from the Top of the World 5/10

Here we get what seems to be if you took all of the album the came prior and blended it. Sure there some cool sections here and there, but none of it is fresh, it’s more of an reprise than anything. JP plays some fast notes I guess

Overall

Easily one of the weakest performances ever put out by Petrucci. I can’t think of one lead that either sounded original or made me want to listen to it over and over like he used to. He’s so far removed from being to write passages like Under a Glass Moon or Trial of Tears these days it honestly makes me sad. I know he’s put out a lot of material recently between TV and LTE3 but I have to attribute that as having an impact.

And as a band I’ve said it before but Dream Theater honestly doesn’t deserve to even be called progressive anymore. They are a parody of themselves and are formulaic in every sense of the word. Nothing about them pushes the envelope, nothing about them tries to progress. They are stuck in a comfort zone and at this point they’ve paid the mortgage on it and they’re not going anywhere. This is certainly the last time I’ll look forward to a Dream Theater release until they prove me otherwise, but I’m not holding out any hope.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #390 on: October 23, 2021, 08:31:24 AM »
Damn, have to disagree with you on all counts

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #391 on: October 23, 2021, 08:35:59 AM »
I will be at work - will it stay on YouTube afterwards or is it a one-time only thing ?

I came here to ask the same question.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #392 on: October 23, 2021, 08:39:18 AM »
Maybe you think it's a very heavy album because of the many telegram riffs like several verses, it makes some hammering effect.
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #393 on: October 23, 2021, 08:41:10 AM »
Damn, have to disagree with you on all counts

agree with you. Disagree with everything in the post above yours. Its a fantastic album and getting better and better on repeat listens.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: October 23, 2021, 08:44:27 AM »
I’m just glad this album is so good after THIRTY SIX YEARS.

Why should they do something completely original on every album ?

What’s wrong with another solid album?

They tried something different a couple albums ago and everybody hated it.

Yes some of it is familiar but 1. It’s their 15th album and 2. It’s probably intentional

To celebrate the history of the band.

It’s light years better than Systematic and Black Clouds.

Offline oceanic156

« Reply #395 on: October 23, 2021, 08:45:00 AM »
The Alien 4/10

A disappointing start that offers a few highlights, but as many said when this was released as a single, it’s DT by the numbers.

Answering The Call 6/10

AtC really gave me some hope for the album, it’s nothing new for the band or the genre but it’s got some cool Panic Attack vibes and LaBrie does a great job. Outside of the unison there’s nothing mind blowing, but a solid song.

Invisible Monster 3/10

How many verses are DT going to serve us on this album that sound identical? At least 4 of them seem interchangeable. The pre-chorus has a nice hook but that’s the highlight in this fairly bland single. Not much else to say, I wish they wouldn’t even write songs like these but it’s a been a trend for a while now (Build Me Up Break Me Down, Paralyzed etc)

Sleeping Giant 3/10

The first 6 minutes of this song are perhaps the blandest music Dream Theater has ever written. It finally comes to life at 6:30 but even Jordans SFaM nostalgic ragtime keys can’t salvage it. After a mediocre solo section we’re treated to the unpleasant, jarring chorus once again.

Transcending Time 3/10

The Looking Glass Extra Lite, this is more of Recycle Theater at their best but without the hooks. Johns solos continue to do nothing, probably another reject from Terminal Velocity. I wish they’d built this song around the piano/acoustic motif at 4:55 because it’s far more interesting than anything else that comes before it.

Awaken the Monster 4/10

Ahh the 8 string song we’ve all been waiting for…..except the riffs sound like they were just ripped out of the middle of The Dark Eternal Night. To me as a guitarist this just makes the use of an 8 string seem like a gimmick and John does nothing to put his mark on it. The meat of the song offers up more verses that sound like something we’ve already heard and the chorus is unforgettable. While we’re on the subject of sounding the same, song structure is beginning to be the most unprogressive thing about the band these days. Another unforgettable solo by JP and yep, you guessed it, back into the chorus before we end.

Here we get what seems to be if you took all of the album the came prior and blended it. Sure there some cool sections here and there, but none of it is fresh, it’s more of an reprise than anything. JP plays some fast notes I guess

Overall

Easily one of the weakest performances ever put out by Petrucci. I can’t think of one lead that either sounded original or made me want to listen to it over and over like he used to. He’s so far removed from being to write passages like Under a Glass Moon or Trial of Tears these days it honestly makes me sad. I know he’s put out a lot of material recently between TV and LTE3 but I have to attribute that as having an impact.

And as a band I’ve said it before but Dream Theater honestly doesn’t deserve to even be called progressive anymore. They are a parody of themselves and are formulaic in every sense of the word. Nothing about them pushes the envelope, nothing about them tries to progress. They are stuck in a comfort zone and at this point they’ve paid the mortgage on it and they’re not going anywhere. This is certainly the last time I’ll look forward to a Dream Theater release until they prove me otherwise, but I’m not holding out any hope.

Wow... don't think I can disagree more. I'm baffled as to how you can enjoy other releases by the band and not enjoy this one. Panic Attack for example sounds like a hastily-written demo compared to what's going on in these songs, and for me at least I can hear a lot of effort and passion in the performances.

Also the first 6 minutes of Awaken the Giant are possibly the best part of the album! That syncopated groove from 3:25-3:55 in particular is sick and unlike anything I can recall them writing before.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #396 on: October 23, 2021, 08:47:24 AM »
Maybe you think it's a very heavy album because of the many telegram riffs like several verses, it makes some hammering effect.

I think this is the issue I am having with it.  As I said last night, it is like a relentless onslaught of that chugging and double bass drumming.  Train of Thought was pretty darn heavy (especially by DT standards), but there was still a lot of variety melodically and rhythmically.  Not saying the new album doesn't have some variety, but there is so much of that chugging/double bass drumming whammy that it feels like I am being bludgeoned by it. 

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #397 on: October 23, 2021, 08:49:07 AM »
I ordered the Blu-Ray but downloaded the .mp3s.

I've only listened through the album once but I know that I like it. I don't feel compelled to offer an initial reaction until I dig deeper because I don't find initial reactions necessarily credible, especially with a band like DT.

I will say that dayum, JP is shredding the sh-t out of the guitar.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: October 23, 2021, 08:50:01 AM »
Just bought the 2LP 1CD edition. 😊😊

Offline LKap13

« Reply #399 on: October 23, 2021, 08:50:13 AM »
Seriously, how did they do this? How did they come out with brilliance after years of muddle. This album is the perfect dt album. It has ALL the elements that one can hope for from dt. Jeez

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: October 23, 2021, 08:54:57 AM »
A View... is easily their best “epic” since Octavarium for me.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #401 on: October 23, 2021, 08:55:24 AM »
The Alien 4/10

Answering The Call 6/10

Invisible Monster 3/10

Sleeping Giant 3/10

Transcending Time 3/10

Awaken the Monster 4/10

Overall

Question: why do you spend so miuch time writing about something you don't like on an amateur forum?
Of course your opinion is legit, but I would never spend a single  second of my life writing about music I don't like at all...
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #402 on: October 23, 2021, 08:58:29 AM »

Question: why do you spend so miuch time writing about something you don't like on an amateur forum?
Of course your opinion is legit, but I would never spend a single  second of my life writing about music I don't like at all...

Yeah?

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=56905.msg2821009#msg2821009

Sorry, had to do it. :P :P

Note: I do not necessarily agree with much of JPX's post, even though I am struggling a lot with the new album, but I don't think going at people who are not reacting positively yet to the new album is the way to go.  :)

Offline JPX

« Reply #403 on: October 23, 2021, 08:58:57 AM »

Dream Theater were the most important band in my life for a long, long time. I think one thing we all share here is that we are/were passionate about them at one point in time. I wouldn't write if I didn't care. Just because they aren't the same band to me doesn't make it any less sad. I wish I could write glowing feedback on them every release, but I have to be honest with myself.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: October 23, 2021, 09:03:48 AM »

I think this is the issue I am having with it.  As I said last night, it is like a relentless onslaught of that chugging and double bass drumming.  Train of Thought was pretty darn heavy (especially by DT standards), but there was still a lot of variety melodically and rhythmically. 

This is exactly the issue I'm having with it, too, and I agree with your Train of Thought point. I've heard each track around 15 to 20 times and but I still struggle to tell them apart. Most of them feel a bit interchangeable.

That said, I genuinely enjoy the album. I'd probably give it an eight now.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline LKap13

« Reply #405 on: October 23, 2021, 09:04:45 AM »
This album will be killer live. I will bet they do the whole album straight through!! Any takers?

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #406 on: October 23, 2021, 09:09:07 AM »
A huge amount of instrumental goodness on this record. I've not latched onto any song/vocal part that's resonated with me yet, mind.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #407 on: October 23, 2021, 09:09:11 AM »

Dream Theater were the most important band in my life for a long, long time. I think one thing we all share here is that we are/were passionate about them at one point in time. I wouldn't write if I didn't care. Just because they aren't the same band to me doesn't make it any less sad. I wish I could write glowing feedback on them every release, but I have to be honest with myself.

I hear this.  A part of me thinks I have somewhat outgrown the overly busy style of their music in the context of new music in that style (I still love their older music just as much), which could explain why I am such a fan of The Astonishing, which is probably their least busy album ever.  I think when it comes to new music that is overly busy, it isn't to my liking as much as it used to be.  And in the broader sense, it was never really my thing.  I have always been a DT fan first and foremost for the songs and the melodies, and always considered the crazy instrumental stuff icing on the cake, not the actual cake.  Heck, even back then, The Dance of Eternity was always my least favorite part of Scenes by a wide distance, and I know that is considered the biggest technical mindf**k on the record.  Back to the present, on the new Neal Morse Band album, the DT-inspired bits (which likely come about due to the Portnoy presence combined with Eric Gillette, whose guitar playing style is very Petrucci-esque) are my least favorite parts of that record, by and large.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #408 on: October 23, 2021, 09:37:45 AM »

And, Invisible Monster should never have been included, sheesh!

I do not get the hate for this song whatsoever. I think it is a brilliant track with a very catchy chorus. I love the opening Queensrych-ei type of riff which is really fun to.play on guitar. 
I think this song holds up to every other song on the album, and It would be awesome live!   :coolio

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #409 on: October 23, 2021, 09:42:29 AM »
First things first: The new forum theme is EPIC  :hat now few initial thoughts on the album:

- Dare I say this is one of the grooviest album DT has ever done? I'll have to think about this but it's damn catchy.
- I'm surprised ATC wasn't the first single.
- IM is so much better in the context of the album. I actually come to enjoy it a lot in that context.
- Sleeping Giant is the one I come back to the most in the first hours of listening to the album. The main riff is stuck on my head.
- I feel with TT the band shows they perfected the Rush inspired songs in the sense that the influence is clear but without sounding derivative. It's a DT song without feeling like them wanting to be Rush. Love it.
- Really like ATM, and I need to spend more time with it as SG is the one that comes back to me the most right now. The middle section with JP playing the clean guitar is incredibly melodic
- AVFTTOTW: wow
   -  I love that the song feels epic without a crescendo type of ending or without overreliance on a symphonics elements.
   - I'm surprised the lyrics are not fantasy driven because the music would serve as a great soundtrack to a story.
   - My only nit-pick on this song is that there are a couple of moments I wish they extended a bit (8:13 it's so f'n groovy I wish it was a couple of seconds longer)

D/T made we crave more music. AVFTTOTW makes me want to come back and find out more about the album. As a seasoned fan I won event attempt to rank the album or the epic until a few months from now. That said, this one is a keeper.

One last thought: to be 30+ years in their career and 15 albums in, and still find ways of sounding fresh and make an album that is that. fn. good. it's something I think some fans will get to appreciate when they stop making music. I was telling my wife if the setlist for the tour is the full album (it won't) I won't complain at all.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #410 on: October 23, 2021, 10:04:02 AM »
This album will be killer live. I will bet they do the whole album straight through!! Any takers?
Heck yeah, I sure hope so!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #411 on: October 23, 2021, 10:05:37 AM »
I went back and listened to some 90’s dream theater and man were they good. 

Anyway, I think this album is ok.  The highs are probably the lowest of any album since systematic chaos so far but the lows are also quite high. There’s no real duds as I actually like IM but there’s also not even a single part of the album That I’m super excited to go re listen to right now either.

The shredding solos are so insanely boring on this album and they also just come out of nowhere and don’t even do anything to progress the songs.  I think the two best solos are on The Alien and IM.  The worst solo in JP’s career is on TT borderline ruining an otherwise great song. 

I think The Alien is the best song in the album.

This album most reminds me of ADTOE which is my least favorite DT album.  I listen to the songs and don’t remember what I listened to.  The one song elevating it from that is TT but even that gets hurt by the bad solo transition.

Its still early and the album just came out but I’ve had about 5 listens and I’m just disappointed at the amount of busy soloing and the lack of innovation.   James sounds ok but all of the choruses are so generic.

I’m really bummed because I loved DOT and thought this would be the album that brings them fully back to glory.   There’s no At Wits End or Barstool Warrior on this album.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #412 on: October 23, 2021, 10:10:08 AM »
To be fair, business and density I'd say are probably defining characteristics of this album and if one didn't really appreciate that side of the band, I'd understand how this album would be a turn-off. For me, this is basically the ideal balance between that and a focus on accessible, melodic content which, while it isn't all necessarily ultra catchy so far, feels incredibly purposeful and it all complements the whole so well.

Also... maybe it's just me, but stuff like:

And as a band I’ve said it before but Dream Theater honestly doesn’t deserve to even be called progressive anymore. They are a parody of themselves and are formulaic in every sense of the word. Nothing about them pushes the envelope, nothing about them tries to progress. They are stuck in a comfort zone and at this point they’ve paid the mortgage on it and they’re not going anywhere.

Just kind of reeks of frustrated burnout to me, in addition to "Recycle Theater" kind of just being a bit of a cheap shot. I also think some of the criticisms are pretty heavily flawed, like the whole song structure thing. Like... go and look at Images and Words, Awake, Scenes from a Memory or Six Degrees. With the relatively rare exception, most of those songs follow a (often expanded) form of the standard verse-chorus-verse-chorus etc. structure. I never got the idea that somehow this is a mark against them now when it wasn't back in the day. Stuff like "Looking Glass Lite" and 4 verses being interchangable are just things that are imo disproven with even a moderate degree of engagement, though I guess it's hyperbole.

I don't have a problem with criticism and, in spite of my disagreements as to broader opinions, can understand the occassional complaint here and there. A string of affirmatively negative statements (as well as judgements on the band's character) is a different thing entirely in my view. I honestly kind of get where it comes from because I used to do this occassionally when I did reviewing as a hobby, where I'd verbally slaughter an album and sneak in some pretty snarky comments to drive home the point if it didn't meet my expectations, actual substantive critique be damned. I've since come to realise that it's kind of a waste of my energy, given how subjective the medium is in the first place. I'll still be critical, but I prefer to (even if I'm not always successful at it) do it in a more dispassionate way that still accomodates someone else saying "but I like it like that", given that I try not to use terms like bland or uninspired.

It's interesting because since I changed my mindset on that, I find myself less affected by disappointment when it comes to new releases. It's not like the disappointing albums stopped coming out, or that they stopped coming out by bands I highly admired either. It's just that I don't really spend energy on that negativity these days. As a bit of a tangent, this is why I don't get why someone would put out negative (as in, viriolic) reviews, because surely if you hated an album, you'd want it to get less attention, rather than attract people who are morbidly curious (or on the flipside, intentionally or unintentionally bait people into defending it)? Even if one was highly emotionally invested in it, I just don't personally think it's healthy to dwell on it to that degree, as well as courting confrontation with highly emotionally loaded contrarian statements.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #413 on: October 23, 2021, 10:18:09 AM »
My early ranking after 5 listens:

Scenes
Images
Six degrees

Awake

DOT
FII
TOT
The Astonishing

Black Clouds
WDADU
Octavarium
Self Titled

AVFTTOTW

SC
ADTOE

I fully reserve the right to change this… I really want to like the new album and hoping it still grows on me.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #414 on: October 23, 2021, 10:36:22 AM »
To be fair, business and density I'd say are probably defining characteristics of this album and if one didn't really appreciate that side of the band, I'd understand how this album would be a turn-off. For me, this is basically the ideal balance between that and a focus on accessible, melodic content which, while it isn't all necessarily ultra catchy so far, feels incredibly purposeful and it all complements the whole so well.

Also... maybe it's just me, but stuff like:

And as a band I’ve said it before but Dream Theater honestly doesn’t deserve to even be called progressive anymore. They are a parody of themselves and are formulaic in every sense of the word. Nothing about them pushes the envelope, nothing about them tries to progress. They are stuck in a comfort zone and at this point they’ve paid the mortgage on it and they’re not going anywhere.

Just kind of reeks of frustrated burnout to me, in addition to "Recycle Theater" kind of just being a bit of a cheap shot. I also think some of the criticisms are pretty heavily flawed, like the whole song structure thing. Like... go and look at Images and Words, Awake, Scenes from a Memory or Six Degrees. With the relatively rare exception, most of those songs follow a (often expanded) form of the standard verse-chorus-verse-chorus etc. structure. I never got the idea that somehow this is a mark against them now when it wasn't back in the day. Stuff like "Looking Glass Lite" and 4 verses being interchangable are just things that are imo disproven with even a moderate degree of engagement, though I guess it's hyperbole.

I don't have a problem with criticism and, in spite of my disagreements as to broader opinions, can understand the occassional complaint here and there. A string of affirmatively negative statements (as well as judgements on the band's character) is a different thing entirely in my view. I honestly kind of get where it comes from because I used to do this occassionally when I did reviewing as a hobby, where I'd verbally slaughter an album and sneak in some pretty snarky comments to drive home the point if it didn't meet my expectations, actual substantive critique be damned. I've since come to realise that it's kind of a waste of my energy, given how subjective the medium is in the first place. I'll still be critical, but I prefer to (even if I'm not always successful at it) do it in a more dispassionate way that still accomodates someone else saying "but I like it like that", given that I try not to use terms like bland or uninspired.

It's interesting because since I changed my mindset on that, I find myself less affected by disappointment when it comes to new releases. It's not like the disappointing albums stopped coming out, or that they stopped coming out by bands I highly admired either. It's just that I don't really spend energy on that negativity these days. As a bit of a tangent, this is why I don't get why someone would put out negative (as in, viriolic) reviews, because surely if you hated an album, you'd want it to get less attention, rather than attract people who are morbidly curious (or on the flipside, intentionally or unintentionally bait people into defending it)? Even if one was highly emotionally invested in it, I just don't personally think it's healthy to dwell on it to that degree, as well as courting confrontation with highly emotionally loaded contrarian statements.

JP... Is that you?
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Glasser

« Reply #415 on: October 23, 2021, 10:50:44 AM »

Since its not a concept album I would guess that won't happen, it would be cool though. "A Live View From The Top Of The World" live album?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 10:56:00 AM by Glasser »

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #416 on: October 23, 2021, 10:56:40 AM »

Since its not a concept album I would guess that won't happen, it would be cool though.

I agreed. I remember the general reaction to D/T was similar. James even called it out in the show I went to and mentioned how humbled they felt people wanted to hear the new material. AWE didn't make it to my show so that was a bummer. 

I hope I get to hear SG, ATM and the Epic live in the next show. 

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #417 on: October 23, 2021, 10:59:27 AM »

I don't think they will (simply because of time restraints - the next tour isn't 'An Evening With...') but I'd personally love it if they did, or at least do a tour of only Mangini-era songs (there was a thread on here about that a while ago). I'd be interested to see what setlist they put together that they feel best showcases the current iteration of the band.

But yeah, in an ideal world I'd love a first set of the full album. I was lucky enough to be at the gig in Manchester in 2004 when they opened with the entire Train of Thought album (on certain days my favourite albums of theirs), and View is looking like joining my 'top tier' list of their work. I liked it on first listen, liked it a lot the few times after that, and love it now about 5 or 6 spins down the line.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #418 on: October 23, 2021, 11:02:44 AM »
JP... Is that you?

I wish lmao

Regardless, I should again emphasise this isn't out of me not wanting stuff to be criticised. If anything, broadly I'm probably more lukewarm on DT's discography as a whole than I ever have been. These days, I can't really say I thoroughly enjoy more than half their albums. This is largely down to my production tastes being a lot more particular these days, though I will still respect the importance of albums like Awake and Scenes from a Memory despite not enjoying listening to them anymore. The only thing is that I don't tend to focus on that much, unless to illustrate a broader point, or if it comes up in conversation (i.e. not seeking out a thread and insulting the people who made the music). But hey, if people want to spend their time on that, they can go right ahead. I'm just giving my thoughts based on my own experiences with those kinds of feelings.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #419 on: October 23, 2021, 11:03:38 AM »
The Alien 4/10

Answering The Call 6/10

Invisible Monster 3/10

Sleeping Giant 3/10

Transcending Time 3/10

Awaken the Monster 4/10

Overall

Hey, man.  Sorry it isn't working for you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.