Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 143163 times)

Offline jayvee3

Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #210 on: October 22, 2021, 05:29:56 AM »
The phone-call delay effect on James' vocals in Sleeping Giant is one of the worst production decisions they've made since they decided to use exactly the same effect in Ministry Of Lost Souls back in 2007.

I actually have no idea what this means for either song, and frankly I’m glad 😂

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: October 22, 2021, 05:38:19 AM »
In production - the Landline telephone sound is just removing most of the top end and low end - leaving you with that scratchy vocal sound like someone is on the phone.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #212 on: October 22, 2021, 05:40:01 AM »
They really sound enthusiastic and joyful on this one, which is great.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #213 on: October 22, 2021, 05:46:14 AM »
First listen in short :
-Sound is amazing (hearing everything + stereo imaging)
-Virtuosity of DT is on top of the world indeed

Loved answering the call and sleeping giant. Didn't connect to awaken the master but maybe it was a little ear fatigue moment.
Cried on transcending time, I will never be able to thank DT enough for writing this song.
The epic is different from what I expected, but it's proggy, chuggy and the little breathers and groovy VIOLENT returns to energy felt like a rollercoaster.

In shorter : It's the best DT album since ADTOE, if not since octavarium, to me.

(PS : I love the alien and will probably skip invisible monster)
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: October 22, 2021, 05:48:56 AM »

Yes I think after Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds - it took them a little while to get back to their classic period ( Scenes - Octavarium ) .

On Astonishing I think there were hints of it. The Gift Of Music reminded me of Six Degrees - specifically About To Crash.

Then Distance Over Time came out and it was very nearly there. With this album I feel like they're back to their best,

and have recaptured some of the 'magic' of the 1999 - 2005 period. :)

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #215 on: October 22, 2021, 05:51:49 AM »
So I'm just done with my first listen. I can't really go too deeply into anything, because I'm going to need many more listens to let it sink in a bit more, but my first impressions are positives. Despite being 70 minutes I thought it flew by quite fast. I was actually surprised when I realized I was already listening to the title track  :lol Speaking of which, that song also went by quickly for a 20 minute songs.

There are some really neat moments in each songs that really grabbed me, whether it's an instrumental passage, a chorus or a melody. Also, despite being on the heavier, darkish and riffy side, I thought Jordan really stood out to me. He had lots of cool moments where he really enhanced the vibe of the songs.

My only 2 criticisms, which didn't really affect my enjoyment hugely but still jumped out at me, a lot of the solos felt just there and there's many first verses that are palm muted staccato guitars/bass following the drums, with keys laying down atmosphere in the background.

Overall, I'm really excited to listen to it again!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #216 on: October 22, 2021, 06:36:39 AM »
A lot of my first impressions that a lot of you guys and gals have shared are within mine. However, the vocal lines/melodies are lacking. What I loved about DoT and ADTOE was that James was present and I guess he worked with the songwriters to construct them a lot better. I don't hear any memorable melodies.  This album feels like music was recorded first without James and then the lyrics were molded into the songs.

Having said that, I think this is one of DT's finest albums. Music sounds refreshing with D/T going a bit more out of their safe zone. As of now, I would rank it 3rd in the Mangini era (DoT, ADTOE, View).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 06:48:08 AM by goo-goo »

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #217 on: October 22, 2021, 06:38:18 AM »
Still waiting for CM to ship the boxset......Tried to contact them but no response as of yet.
I'll have the download tonight I hope....But the boxset should have been on its way already.

That's quite sad/ironic that all of Dream Theater's sponsored posts on FB said the Deluxe box set was "exclsuive" (or however it's constantly misspelled) to Century Media (and it wasn't, a lot of us ordered ours at Laser CD, who have shipped already), but Century Media haven't even sent shipping notification emails yet?! Hopefully those who ordered from CM will actually get their orders!

-Marc.

I'm in the same boat that dream is in.

Yes, this is very ironic, frustrating, infuriating, and dumb.

Been burned on them twice with DT's release so only will order from Laser's Edge from now on.

Same. It's also weird because I've been supporting Century Media for over two decades now, ever since they were a small underground metal label that focused on European black metal.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #218 on: October 22, 2021, 06:58:02 AM »
Just started listening to it, finished The Alien, but the first minute of ATC is  :metal Love it
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #219 on: October 22, 2021, 07:08:00 AM »
LaserCD still has some boxes available

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/view-top-world-deluxe-box-set

Offline dream416

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #220 on: October 22, 2021, 07:15:00 AM »
Still waiting for CM to ship the boxset......Tried to contact them but no response as of yet.
I'll have the download tonight I hope....But the boxset should have been on its way already.

That's quite sad/ironic that all of Dream Theater's sponsored posts on FB said the Deluxe box set was "exclsuive" (or however it's constantly misspelled) to Century Media (and it wasn't, a lot of us ordered ours at Laser CD, who have shipped already), but Century Media haven't even sent shipping notification emails yet?! Hopefully those who ordered from CM will actually get their orders!

-Marc.

Just received an email this morning from CM stating my order will be shipping on 25/10/21.......Brutal. Will not be pre-ordering from this label again.
Major disappointment.Did get the download & it's a killer album!!!!!!

Offline 7enderbender

« Reply #221 on: October 22, 2021, 07:17:44 AM »
Yay! First DT album in years that shows basically no issues on first listen. Basically the first one I enjoy since Dramatic Turn of Events. The only thing that gives me a bit pause again are the fake sounding orchestral parts on the title track. I wish he stopped doing that kind of stuff.

Offline oceanic156

« Reply #222 on: October 22, 2021, 07:30:28 AM »
I've given the album several listens and slept on it, so I feel like I'm starting to form a true impression. This is just an unedited stream of my thoughts so far  ;D

Yeah the album is awesome; I'm stunned at the energy and creativity on display here. Where Distance Over Time felt a little 'safe', this one seems to let the songs breathe more and has more ambitious compositions. I was pretty worried about the 20-minute epic, since I've tended to be underwhelmed by many of DT's epics in the past. Both Octavarium and Illumination Theory do nothing for me, for example. But this one is sweet! Heavy, intense, atmospheric, coherent; like the best parts of Pale Blue Dot mixed with ACOS. Could grow to be one of my absolute favorites from the band.

The excellent mixing helps a LOT also, everything sounds crisp, distinct, and weighty regardless of the system/headphones I'm using. Even Distance Over Time sounds muddy by comparison. The guitar riffs and bass grooves really hit HARD in the mix and are thrilling to listen to - the opening to Answering the Call is probably the best example.

I'll be honest: I wasn't sure DT still had records like this in them. They sound fresh, inspired, and like they're having fun in the studio. Musicianship is off the charts even more than usual - Mangini and Petrucci give... maybe career-best performances? Really searing, intense solos and playing from those two. Myung sounds great and is fully audible in the mix - awesome stuff from him on Sleeping Giant and Awaken the Master in particular. Rudess feels a little more restrained (a good thing IMO), more focused on atmosphere and melody than wild sound effects and solos. LaBrie takes few risks here but also gives a very consistent performance; I enjoy the vocal melodies but not many stand out or really 'hook' me.

The album is very consistent in quality but I do feel that 'Invisible Monster' is a bit weaker than the rest. I like the musical ideas and the eerie vibe, but it kinda feels underwritten. I could see the track being outstanding if it were a bit longer and had a stronger chorus/lyrics, but as it is now it's still a decent song.

Best songs for me are Answering the Call, Sleeping Giant, and ESPECIALLY the title track.

My ranking of DT records is pretty weird, but I'd say this is their best since Train of Thought, and it will probably rise above that album too with more listens. It's a top 5 DT Album for me.

Online lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #223 on: October 22, 2021, 07:34:43 AM »
Hum.... Important question: when will we have the new forum theme for the new album?  ;D ;D

Offline 7enderbender

« Reply #224 on: October 22, 2021, 07:35:35 AM »
It's 'puzzeling me' that I do read here and in the other topic often that 'there's not much new in here' and Dream Theater is sailing on safe seas. But, unless LaBrie starts spitting out raps, which path they [...]

And everyone crawled through the album to find the little snippets they like, that sounded like the Dream Theater they already know.
Admit it! You do like more of the same!

Should Dream Theater pull an Opeth? Or where Steven Wilson went with his music post Porcupine Tree? Or where Metallica went with Load?
[/color][/size][/font]

Well, I'm for one happy with anything that actually sounds like Dream Theater. And it's not a concept album! (yes, I'm the one who can't stand Scenes from a Memory either, not just the Disney album). The new one isn't quite Awake or Falling into Infinity (my favorites still), but seem to be in line with the 2005-2011 period, which is more than find by me. And some could even be on earlier albums.
Interesting use of tunings again it seems (not just the 8 string).

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #225 on: October 22, 2021, 07:39:29 AM »
Hum.... Important question: when will we have the new forum theme for the new album?  ;D ;D

Coming back to ask, is there a new theme for AVFTTOW in the works?  :)

In the works? No. Will be in the works once the deadline nears to the point I can't avoid it any more? Yes.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: October 22, 2021, 07:45:26 AM »
Really liked the album after one spin. Not their best. Not their worst. Will see how it grows over time.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #227 on: October 22, 2021, 07:46:39 AM »
Nice. I just bought the album from Amazon and it won't show up in my Amazon player for download. Cool.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #228 on: October 22, 2021, 07:57:48 AM »
Alright, just finished my first listen, not much to say, but on first listen, I really enjoyed this album. The only song I did not care for was Sleeping Giant. Nothing wrong with the song, just need to listen to it a few more times.

Really cool album overall. really interesting moments all throughout, I think my favorite songs on first listen are ATC and ATM. Of course that might change as I listen to it more.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: October 22, 2021, 07:59:22 AM »
First listen in (well almost, haven't listened to the title track) and it's good, but there haven't really been any vocal hooks that stood out that I love from DT.  I need more listens to say any more, maybe those melodies will stick out once I digest this more.  Musically, it's very interesting.  Really liked Answering the Call.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #230 on: October 22, 2021, 08:06:46 AM »
First listen, and this is me so far:

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline JRuless

« Reply #231 on: October 22, 2021, 08:07:22 AM »
Just finished the HD Master 5.1 track from the artbook. It sounds incredible! Not so much to say about the songs yet. I have to digest more...I loved how the riff is starting out of nowhere at the beginning of View (the song). What a gitarist, our Petrucci. Brought me to tears...

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #232 on: October 22, 2021, 08:08:19 AM »
Second listen through and still disappointed….

The album just meanders…  I’m hoping this a just a product of needing several listens to understand the songs.

The best parts are where Jordan is playing piano… other than that it’s just like (I’ve heard this a billion times from them but done better on past albums).  Petrucci’s lead tone is really a bummer to me… it sounds great on the alien but so generic everywhere else. 

I’m loving a lot of the title track though so that’s cool.

I do think this album will continue to grow on me.

I loved distance over time and the astonishing so I’m surprised this one isn’t hitting me yet.

I like transcending time but then why in the world did they pick a sinister riff to solo on?  That’s so jarring and out of place for the song. 

To me it’s like they pick a few parts of the album to sound like “classic DT” and those are all great but then the rest just meanders.   

Here’s to hoping for better repeat listens!

This is the first time since 2005 I’ve had real high expectations for a DT album so maybe that’s my issue right now.

Offline brents319

« Reply #233 on: October 22, 2021, 08:19:50 AM »
There's no magic.

Everything is a repeat of what they've already done, nothing popped out as *wow this is new ground, they've never done that before*

Obv 8 string is new, but it is used in same manner as a 7 string.

Superbly disappointed, but happy for everyone enjoying it.

Wow! Give it time to sink in before writing it off so quickly.  :-[

I've been listening to it for a week and a half. :(

Stick with it  :)

I haven't heard it yet but how long does one stick with it before being able to write it off?

I gave Senjitsu about 8 spins before accepting that it wasn't going to connect.

Hiliarious....I barely made it through Senjitsu before I knew I was never going to connect.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #234 on: October 22, 2021, 08:22:16 AM »
Nice. I just bought the album from Amazon and it won't show up in my Amazon player for download. Cool.
My amazon cd preorder is delayed out of stock and it seems there is no "autorip" so no download :/
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline brents319

« Reply #235 on: October 22, 2021, 08:29:31 AM »
 So...maybe I am a little slow but, I never feel completely comfortable with the first listen.  I find there is almost too much going in my head to completely tune in and enjoy it.  It is almost like I am trying to listen too hard and force love on the first listen.  The melodies almost never click on the first couple of listens.  I do not want them to just crank out the same old thing every album and they don't disappoint there....otherwise I would already be used to the sound/feel/melodies...right?  For example, the first time I listened to SFAM I walked away unsatisfied and didn't come back for quite awhile....looking back does anyone here think that wasn't insane?  I certainly do.

Offline brents319

« Reply #236 on: October 22, 2021, 08:32:08 AM »

-Marc.

Just received an email this morning from CM stating my order will be shipping on 25/10/21.......Brutal. Will not be pre-ordering from this label again.
Major disappointment.Did get the download & it's a killer album!!!!!!

Ditto.  I am hating on Century Media quite a bit.  You would think companies in this industry would just do better....I mean really.  In fact, I sent them an email stating that in nicer words and longer sentences. But, at least I have the digital version for now.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #237 on: October 22, 2021, 08:34:24 AM »
So...maybe I am a little slow but, I never feel completely comfortable with the first listen.  I find there is almost too much going in my head to completely tune in and enjoy it.  It is almost like I am trying to listen too hard and force love on the first listen.  The melodies almost never click on the first couple of listens.  I do not want them to just crank out the same old thing every album and they don't disappoint there....otherwise I would already be used to the sound/feel/melodies...right?  For example, the first time I listened to SFAM I walked away unsatisfied and didn't come back for quite awhile....looking back does anyone here think that wasn't insane?  I certainly do.

SFAM didn't hit me like I&W did but it had me greatly intrigued to continue to listen more.   SDOIT, however, I sort of rode it off.  Figured it wasn't for me.   Now its one of my all time favorite albums.

Im a little worried that after two listens through just now of AVFTTOTW I'm not that excited to listen to it again.   I really hope it grows on me.  I've been so excited for this release.

As of now there is not a single song I would replace on I&W, SFAM, or SDOIT with a song from A View.   

Offline brents319

« Reply #238 on: October 22, 2021, 08:36:45 AM »
THANK YOU

I've always thought Dream Theater were way better than RUSH. Who I have tried to like. But just don't.

Ditto....no matter how many times I go back and try, I give up pretty quickly.  Planning to try again someday when I have only time to waste.  ;D

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #239 on: October 22, 2021, 08:38:22 AM »

Yes I think after Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds - it took them a little while to get back to their classic period ( Scenes - Octavarium ) .

On Astonishing I think there were hints of it. The Gift Of Music reminded me of Six Degrees - specifically About To Crash.

Then Distance Over Time came out and it was very nearly there. With this album I feel like they're back to their best,

and have recaptured some of the 'magic' of the 1999 - 2005 period.
:)

I'm also in that camp! And I also basically agree with your other comments. I really didn't feel THAT spark in DT so clearly since Octavarium!  :heart
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: October 22, 2021, 08:38:27 AM »
So according to the piano pattern - are they going to do a live DVD for this album ?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #241 on: October 22, 2021, 08:38:58 AM »
THANK YOU

I've always thought Dream Theater were way better than RUSH. Who I have tried to like. But just don't.

Ditto....no matter how many times I go back and try, I give up pretty quickly.  Planning to try again someday when I have only time to waste.  ;D

Three Stooges *slaps, eye pokes* you both.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #242 on: October 22, 2021, 08:39:33 AM »
So according to the piano pattern - are they going to do a live DVD for this album ?
I'd absolutely hope so. *This* album deserves it like few others IMHO.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #243 on: October 22, 2021, 08:41:34 AM »
I'd absolutely hope so. *This* album deserves it like few others IMHO.

What piano pattern?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: October 22, 2021, 08:45:05 AM »
Someone once realised their releases could be laid out in a piano.

It was something like all the white keys were albums

And the black keys were live albums or dvds.

So E - F would be 2 albums with no live album in between for example.

Someone must have that picture.