Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 143165 times)

Offline JRuless

Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #315 on: October 22, 2021, 05:46:09 PM »
Where to start?

Unbelievable piece of musical brilliance.

+1 truly incredible

Offline emtee

« Reply #316 on: October 22, 2021, 05:46:18 PM »
Righteous. I just hit refresh and the new site loaded!! Way to go, Bosk!!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #317 on: October 22, 2021, 05:48:09 PM »
Righteous. I just hit refresh and the new site loaded!! Way to go, Bosk!!

Me too ! I usually go for the dark blue theme but this one is very nice ! :)

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #318 on: October 22, 2021, 05:48:59 PM »
for those interested, JBL and MM are live with Nick Nortunal on Twitch

https://www.twitch.tv/niknocturnal

John Bradshaw Layfield?
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline emtee

« Reply #319 on: October 22, 2021, 05:51:04 PM »
for those interested, JBL and MM are live with Nick Nortunal on Twitch

https://www.twitch.tv/niknocturnal

John Bradshaw Layfield?

:-X

How ya doing, Wey? Long time no see!!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #320 on: October 22, 2021, 05:53:47 PM »
Looks amazing! It’s now OFFICIAL!!!! Loving every song on the new album. DT are like herpes, not going anywhere!!!  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: October 22, 2021, 05:55:11 PM »
Sounds like you need some CREAM Theater :neverusethis:

Offline Glasser

« Reply #322 on: October 22, 2021, 05:56:31 PM »
Sounds like you need some CREAM Theater :neverusethis:

That’s an EPIC reply to goofy ass comment! Seriously tho, I absolutely love this album!!!!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: October 22, 2021, 05:57:11 PM »
Cream Theater's ASS-tonishing ! Herpes BE GONE !!! :jamaritard:

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #324 on: October 22, 2021, 05:57:21 PM »
Ughh too bright for me but it looks nice. But I keep using Dark Space theme for my eyes sake.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #325 on: October 22, 2021, 06:07:34 PM »
Cream Theater's ASS-tonishing ! Herpes BE GONE !!! :jamaritard:

Clever!!!!  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #326 on: October 22, 2021, 06:13:01 PM »
Nice theme
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #327 on: October 22, 2021, 06:32:06 PM »
I tried. I will always love DT  and see them live  but I cant connect with the last 4 releases.  There are many great moments within songs and albums but as a whole it just isnt for me.

Offline Kram

« Reply #328 on: October 22, 2021, 06:34:29 PM »
First listen completed.  WOW, a lot to unpack here.  Way to early to rank the songs, let alone rank this among the discography - but what I can say is it sounds AMAZING!  I echo the others who say this is the best "sounding" DT album of all time.  Early favorites are Awaken the Master, Sleeping Giant and the Title track.  Mangini's performance is insane!  Someone said they didn't like JP's solos on this record?  Not sure what they were listening to, as I heard many rippin solos, with that amazing tone that only JP has - awesome stuff!  I also think JLB sounds great!  Really warm tone to his voice, reminds me more of his performance on TA than D/T.  Going to spin it again now!

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #329 on: October 22, 2021, 06:46:14 PM »
Labrie sounds so great on TT… I wish they made all their songs like this. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: October 22, 2021, 06:48:52 PM »
I think I'm gonna wind up in the minority that has Invisible Monster as one of my favorites from this album. It really clicks with me for some reason, and is a welcome "straight up rocker" amongst some wild songs.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #331 on: October 22, 2021, 06:50:19 PM »
I think I'm gonna wind up in the minority that has Invisible Monster as one of my favorites from this album. It really clicks with me for some reason, and is a welcome "straight up rocker" amongst some wild songs.

It's an excellent song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #332 on: October 22, 2021, 06:55:34 PM »
The SOUND of this album makes me so happy. FINALLY! A band like Dream Theater should always have pristine sounding albums. Everything sounds really really good and I am thrilled!

Online geeeemo

« Reply #333 on: October 22, 2021, 07:01:59 PM »

It's an excellent song.
At first I didn't like it that much. But it hads really grown on me. It's one I hear in my head.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #334 on: October 22, 2021, 07:03:47 PM »
I honestly couldn't understand the slack it was getting. I can accept it being someone's least fave on the album, but that would speak to the strength of the album, and not the lack of of the song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #335 on: October 22, 2021, 07:08:22 PM »
I honestly couldn't understand the slack it was getting. I can accept it being someone's least fave on the album, but that would speak to the strength of the album, and not the lack of of the song.
I was going to comment something along these lines. I didn't listen to it until today, and was surprised to actually like the song since it wasn't well received by a lot of people here. I think it's a good song  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #336 on: October 22, 2021, 07:10:46 PM »
Track by track first impressions.

The Alien: I had listened to this song a couple of times right after it was released as a single, and while I thought it was decent, it wasn’t anything special. That’s ok, because all Dream Theater has to do to get me hyped for a new release is announce it. With them being my favorite band of all time, every album they put out is a day one purchase for me, so singles are useless. After the first week, I avoided this song entirely in an effort to keep it fresh. That paid off as it makes more sense within the context of the album, and is a great opener. Right now it’s probably my least favorite song on the album, but that says more about the rest of the songs than about itself.

Answering the Call: I have the least to say about this one. It’s a good song but isn’t anything groundbreaking. This might end up being my least favorite after further listens as I feel it does the least, so there’s much less to sink my teeth into.

Invisible Monster: Similar to The Alien, I listened to this a couple of times upon its release as a single, then avoided it until the album came out. I absolutely adore the main guitar lick, it’s actually similar to something I would write, which made it feel comfortable despite the strange note choices. After three songs, my impression of the album was that it’s good but not great…

Sleeping Giant: …and then this song comes in and instantly hooks me. Seriously, that intro, the main guitar riff, the atmosphere in the verses, the instrumental break, everything. This will become a live staple for years to come, because it’s the perfect Dream Theater song. It has everything you could want while sounding fresh. Early contender for best song on the album and the best song they’ve written since Breaking All Illusions.

Transcending Time: No band is better at imitating Rush than Dream Theater. Every time they do a song like this, you can hear the love John Petrucci has for Rush, and when they do shorter songs, I generally prefer this sound over the heavier sound. My only complaint is the shredding part of the guitar solo, as I tend to not like fast, high pitched guitar playing. This has to do with my ears being sensitive to treble heavy frequencies (I really was built to play bass), but that’s not something someone can account for when writing obviously, and the playing and phrasing are, as always, perfect. John Petrucci is the best guitarist on the planet. Whether he’s in his comfort zone or trying something new, he makes every note he plays count, which leads to…

Awaken the Master: This song, above every other track on the album, is the one I was most curious about. Eight string guitars when used correctly broaden the possibilities for what a guitarist can do. When used incorrectly, which more often than not is the case, do nothing except impede on my territory and muddy the sound. John Petrucci of course used it correctly. A few things helped me enjoy this more than any other use of an eight string by a band not named Haken. First, the decision to have higher pitched keyboards on top of the low string riffs helps direct the ear to the chord changes even through the most bass empty speakers. Second, John Myung was given plenty of time to shine, with the entire second verse led by his bass playing. Third, the vocal melodies are given space to breathe, with beautiful harmonies keeping the song from being an onslaught of riffs. Fourth, John Petrucci doesn’t stay on the lowest strings for the whole song. He takes solos up high, and plays some riffs on the middle strings, utilizing the entire range of the guitar. Once again, John Petrucci is the best guitarist on the planet, and his first use of an eight string led to one hell of a song.

A View From the Top of the World: I’m a sucker for long songs. That’s evidenced by my favorite song of all time being 24 minutes long. With that said, Illumination Theory was a bit of a disappointment. I still enjoy the song, it’s in my top 50 Dream Theater songs, but it’s definitely their weakest epic. Finally, after eight years and two albums without a song over ten minutes, this album gives us two, and they’re the two best songs on the album. This song just feels epic but without the bombast of some of the other 20 plus minute songs in their discography. Instead, we get a more reserved and reflective sound, which really works for this one. That intro is one of the best sections of music they’ve done ever, and despite being episodic in nature, the song flows well. That riff about two thirds of the way through the song made my smile instantly. The second it hit I felt like adrenaline was shot into my heart. Nobody writes long song quite like Dream Theater. All six of their previous 20+ minute songs reside in my top 50, with four of them (Octavarium, The Count of Tuscany, A Change of Seasons, and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence) in my top 10. It’s too early to tell where A View From the Top of the World fits in there. I definitely like it better than Illumination Theory and I definitely don’t like it better than Octavarium. Where it slots with the other four epics remains to be seen, but on its own, it’s incredible.

This album is gonna be a classic. The last four songs are definitely better than the first three, but there’s not a weak track to be found. I like it more than Distance Over Time. I like it more than The Astonishing. I definitely like it more than the self titled record. As for A Dramatic Turn of Events? I’ll need quite a few more listens before I can decide which of these is the best Mangini era album. A View From the Top of the World has two songs, Sleeping Giant and the title track, that easily make my top 50. Awaken the Master probably makes it, too. A Dramatic Turn of Events also has three songs in my top 50 (Breaking All Illusions, Bridges in the Sky, and Beneath the Surface) but Sleeping Giant and the title track from the new record blow past everything on A Dramatic Turn of Events besides Breaking All Illusions, which for the time being remains as my favorite Mangini era song, at least until I get more familiar with the new record. But overall, A View From the Top of the World easily lands in the top half of Dream Theater’s discography for me.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #337 on: October 22, 2021, 07:12:23 PM »
Wish they would have let MM write another set of lyrics. Room 137 lyrics were great, even if the song was not particularly strong.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #338 on: October 22, 2021, 07:20:22 PM »

When I first heard the album, I immediately loved IM. That was long before it was a single. Good pick!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #339 on: October 22, 2021, 07:24:17 PM »
Wish they would have let MM write another set of lyrics. Room 137 lyrics were great, even if the song was not particularly strong.

I agree to an extent. Room 137 is the worst song on Distance Over Time, but it’s not because of the lyrics. I will say that with only seven songs, maybe Mike Mangini just didn’t have any lyrical ideas for the material. And it’s not like the album lacks lyrical diversity. James LaBrie penned two sets of lyrics, and John Myung is credited as the sole lyricist for Awaken the Master, something that hasn’t happened since he started writing lyrics again. Musically, this album has Mike’s fingerprints all over it. He didn’t need to contribute his words to make an impact on this record. Every song is driven by his drumming and his rhythmic concepts, and the results are stellar.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #340 on: October 22, 2021, 07:27:01 PM »
After one listen...this will take more listens.  I did think it sounded good overall (from a mixing and production standpoint).  There is a lot of meat on these bones, so it will take multiple listens for me to tear through it at all.  There were a few things I liked about it, and a few things that made me grimace a little, but I don't want to pass judgment after one listen.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #341 on: October 22, 2021, 07:29:39 PM »
After one listen...this will take more listens.  I did think it sounded good overall (from a mixing and production standpoint).  There is a lot of meat on these bones, so it will take multiple listens for me to tear through it at all.  There were a few things I liked about it, and a few things that made me grimace a little, but I don't want to pass judgment after one listen.

I didn't grimace at all, but I agree with everything else you said.

It took a number of listens, at least 5 to parse out the songs. Especially Sleeping Giant. I have referred to this album as "thick". It never really lets you have a breather.

• PR permission
« Reply #342 on: October 22, 2021, 07:36:53 PM »
the term riff-salad comes to mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #343 on: October 22, 2021, 07:39:11 PM »

It took a number of listens, at least 5 to parse out the songs. Especially Sleeping Giant. I have referred to this album as "thick". It never really lets you have a breather.

My worry is that that it feels like a lot of the same from song to song so far, and it's like every song beats us over the head with that heavy riffing that always has a fast double bass drum driving along with it (I am sure the music geeks can explain that technique better than I can :lol).  I know that kind of things is a DT trademark, but it's like the whole album is a relentless onslaught of it.   I suspect that will be bother me a lot less if the vocal melodies grow on me.  I liked the dark vibe that kind of permeates throughout the whole record, but it feels like the vocal melodies really were lacking.   That worries me a little.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #344 on: October 22, 2021, 07:49:39 PM »

it's like every song beats us over the head with that heavy riffing that always has a fast double bass drum driving along with it (I am sure the music geeks can explain that technique better than I can :lol).

It is a drug and I need my supply
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

• PR permission
« Reply #345 on: October 22, 2021, 08:06:45 PM »
I don't have perfect pitch or anything but some thing about the guitar parts on the last albums has struck me as very familiar (despite the fact that I am very fond of most of the band's recent output). I was flipping through recent songs just now with my JP12-7 and John is relying a LOT these days on those low open string tonalities and syncopated open A/E/B lines. As a guitarist, I know the appeal of E on a 6 string guitar or B on a 7. It affords a lot of idiosyncratic benefits. Even if you tune the guitar to a different key, a lot of those open 5th, 6th, 7th string riffs can end up sounding similar. JP is hanging out a LOT down there and I wonder if that is contributing to some of the feeling of repetition some fans are experiencing with DT's music lately.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #346 on: October 22, 2021, 08:08:27 PM »
You could've written the above post in French, and it would've made the exact same sense to me. :lol

• PR permission
« Reply #347 on: October 22, 2021, 08:15:07 PM »
You could've written the above post in French, and it would've made the exact same sense to me. :lol

Think about it this way:

very broadly speaking guitarists tend to like playing in certain musical keys because of the way the notes are laid out on the instrument. E, A or B (7 strings only) for example have been used a LOT in guitar music because of the way the strings on the instrument are tuned. The same is not true saxophone, or piano but on piano, you might be able to say the same thing about the key of C (i.e., you dont have to bother with any of the shorter black keys). Metal music in particular has fetishized the key of E.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #348 on: October 22, 2021, 08:17:27 PM »
I'm just kidding. I mean, I'm not. But I'm not making fun of your post. I'm clueless at these things, despite being a huge music fan for decades.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: October 22, 2021, 09:18:09 PM »

My worry is that that it feels like a lot of the same from song to song so far, and it's like every song beats us over the head with that heavy riffing that always has a fast double bass drum driving along with it (I am sure the music geeks can explain that technique better than I can :lol).  I know that kind of things is a DT trademark, but it's like the whole album is a relentless onslaught of it.   I suspect that will be bother me a lot less if the vocal melodies grow on me.  I liked the dark vibe that kind of permeates throughout the whole record, but it feels like the vocal melodies really were lacking.   That worries me a little.

Is that right......hmmmmm....
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.